95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Thanks Ryan! I'm really happy with how it ended up turning out, time to start stacking some dimes around all those seams and finally finish it! Lol

Lol you're gonna have a ton of fun welding this out, I'd be so excited. Are you gonna try and smooth out all the welds or are you just gonna weld and polish it out?

Sent from Space

That exhaust is stunning.

Thanks!

Lol you're gonna have a ton of fun welding this out, I'd be so excited. Are you gonna try and smooth out all the welds or are you just gonna weld and polish it out?

Sent from Space

I'm not going to grind the welds down, I love seeing weld beads personally. Just gonna polish the whole thing with the welds still visible. :2thumb:

Looks awesome Dan.. Welding it will be a blast.. Do you have any fluxcore tig wire at work?? 

I need to buy a pack of welding rods since I'll be using quite a bit. I usually just use some of our stock at work but given the amount of welding I'm going to be doing I'll buy my own to avoid raising any eyebrows. I'm planning to pick up some fluxcore rods  though, saves a lot of time by not having to keep purging :2thumb:

looks awesome man. what's the 2 black cables for? those air lines? 

Those are the parking brake cables, which are too short. I bought 03 cobra parking brake cables thinking they would be a better fit with the IRS and my originals were in bad shape. Turns out they're not long enough, they were REALLY hard to get hooked up. I'm going to source some custom length cables probably.

WOW!!!!! next level build going on here... Great job keep it up.. 

Thank you sir!

I went with the CHE rear brace  when I installed a coilover setup. It is a great piece!  

@95riosnake   man, I LOVE your work, your attention to detail is second to none! I absolutely love the way you rerouted the exhaust cut outs back into the side pipes. Badass!

I appreciate the kind words man, coming from someone with such a badass car it means a lot!

dan, where did you source all your oval tube from. also in all your exhaust searching have you seen anyone offer a 4 valve header flange with a stub? just making some plans :)

I bought all the oval tubing from Spintech. Not sure about the flange, I haven't been looking for anything along those lines to have seen any, but I'm sure someone makes it :2thumb:

Pushing forward toward the day when I can stop sliding under the car 1000x a day on the creeper, I made some headway under the car over the weekend.

I've been staring at the box of Stifflers goods for far too long now, so I decided to get some momentum going on those. The first thing was my decision to strip the wrinkle black powder coat off them. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice finish but it doesn't fit into the color scheme I have going on (yes... a color scheme for the bottom of my car... :rolleyes: ). So the decision was made and I got to it. I thought I might be able to just forego using paint stripper and just go at it with my angle grinder wire wheel this time, but it only dulled the finish...I'll give them credit, their coating is tough as nails. After an hour and a half I had the two jacking rails stripped using a palm sander with 40 grit followed by 120 grit, then 220 grit hand sanding. I had enough at that point so I'll hit the web braces with aircraft stripper next weekend since they're too complex to use the palm sander. I also had to cut off about 4" of the rearmost end of each to clear where I located the outboard hangers for the exhaust through the pinch weld, but that's fine with me. The exhaust was planned far before the FIT stuff so it pulls rank.

jmou.jpg

b0tk.jpg

a3kv.jpg

Then in an effort to provide some corrosion resistance for the parts that I won't be able to paint once I welded them in, I shot them with some primer and paint. After it cured I wire wheeled the paint off only the areas I would be welding.

00kv.jpg

u1eg.jpg

After a few four letter words trying to get a clean weld to the shitty pinch weld metal, I managed some acceptable beads, then shot some primer and paint over the area from the pinch weld to the subframe connectors. Pretty much the same as before, this is in an effort to get paint on areas that will be hard to get at after welding the web braces in place. I'll strip the paint from the necessary areas before I weld them in, then once they are I'll scuff and prime/paint the entire bottom of the car at once.

58j4.jpg

0zqd.jpg

I also pulled the exhaust off for hopefully the last time, going to start welding up all the seams this coming weekend. I figured this milestone was deserving of a couple pics of it laid out. (disregard the salty garage floor...stupid winter :angry: go away already)

owiv.jpg

ubqu.jpg

All laid out ready for their date with the TIG and I:

z49p.jpg

Well just popping in to see how things are going and there looking great like usual . That exhaust is something else , can't get enough of it , so your adding the stifflers fit system nice

pics are broke?

They show up on my end and @Musturd seems to be seeing them...not sure what the deal is?

Well just popping in to see how things are going and there looking great like usual . That exhaust is something else , can't get enough of it , so your adding the stifflers fit system nice

Thanks man! Yea the FIT stuff is super nice but I'm going to have to modify some stuff, par for the course on this car though lol.

Oh for sure especially because of the side exhaust and just your taste in what looks good /symmetrical etc. Major chassis work is going on with my car over the next little bit here as well . ... I can't wait to see the air ride stuff start coming together

for stripping powder I have been using citristrip I think its called?  Its a citrus based stripper so it smells like oranges and isn't even harmfull to breath.   I put a generous portion all over and just let it sit over night.  Next morning it will be wrinkled up and falling off.

The pics are hosted and inserted the same way as all my other pics, and I just checked on my phone and they show up... no idea what to do to fix it. You two using tapatalk?

I can see the pics just fine I never use tapatalk

for stripping powder I have been using citristrip I think its called?  Its a citrus based stripper so it smells like oranges and isn't even harmfull to breath.   I put a generous portion all over and just let it sit over night.  Next morning it will be wrinkled up and falling off.

Awesome, I'll give it a try. Is it something you can buy in a store or something you need to order? I hate using aircraft stripper, it's some nasty, smelly stuff and I feel like I'm working in a nuclear plant every time I use it lol. @ttocs

I can see the pics just fine I never use tapatalk

It seems to be working now according to Bryan, no idea what was going on.

Awesome, I'll give it a try. Is it something you can buy in a store or something you need to order? I hate using aircraft stripper, it's some nasty, smelly stuff and I feel like I'm working in a nuclear plant every time I use it lol. @ttocs

It seems to be working now according to Bryan, no idea what was going on.

I got it in the paint section of wallmart or ace hardware.  It isn't fast acting like stripper is but I do it in my basement, smells like oranges if you smell anything.  Its a semi-thick past type of liquid that I just completely covered my intake with and when I came back in the morning I was able to take most of it off with the hose, the rest with a scraper/wire brush.  Didn't even kill the grass now that I think about it.

I got it in the paint section of wallmart or ace hardware.  It isn't fast acting like stripper is but I do it in my basement, smells like oranges if you smell anything.  Its a semi-thick past type of liquid that I just completely covered my intake with and when I came back in the morning I was able to take most of it off with the hose, the rest with a scraper/wire brush.  Didn't even kill the grass now that I think about it.

Nice that will be perfect for me, I don't mind letting it sit over night. The only way to ventilate my garage is to open the garage door (it doesn't have a man door), so when it hits single digit temps outside it's tough to do anything that makes fumes. 

any updates on the air ride?

Still waiting on the parts I need to be available to buy.

I've been working on welding in the Stifflers stuff now. Ran out of welding gas and wire at the SAME TIME last weekend, it was on Sunday so I had to call it quits. Picked up a big ass spool of wire and got my tank filled today so I'm gonna go at it for a few hours tomorrow :2thumb:

good to hear your still owkring on the car!!

what im really dying to know though is how your car is going to sit with the air ride. like the cobra im posting a pic of (with losts of negative camber) or will it be more like the sinis pace car. (not so much camber)

any ideas yet?if its not going to be like the cobra posted, how is your set up going to be different and not have all the negative camber?

post-526-0-36149300-1393020966_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-35605500-1393021173_thumb.jpg

I don't consider that to be a lot of camber, mine will have some camber when it's aired out because I don't have a straight axle...theres just no way around that with an IRS. Tom's pace car doesn't have that problem because he has a straight axle. When he shortened the rear he did put in some camber though, just not a noticeable amount.

It won't bother me if my car sits like that one when its aired out, not like it's rocking crazy negative camber like some of the stance guys do.

I have my car bagged now(just standard bags not the shockwaves) and when I drop it all the way down for shows its not a big negative camber issue.  I assume you mean just for parking as with both myself and rio having side exhaust skirts, well that is what the air ride is protecting in my car.  Sure it looks cool but for me it was more about the function of it.  Hell I could hardly make out my driveway at stock ride height so dropping it only an inch.

like the cobra im posting a pic of (with losts of negative camber) or will it be more like the sinis pace car. (not so much camber)

how is your set up going to be different and not have all the negative camber?

lmao....i'm trying to see where all this negative camber is. the slightest bit of - camber looks good imo. especially with an irs being able to match the camber with the front. 

its not like that cobra u posted is riding on inner sidewalls lol.