95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Send me a picture of the knuckle. I'm sure there's gotta be a way

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Here's a pic I took a while back, I'm thinking I can make a mount for the spot caliper in the 2 o'clock position somehow. There's tons of room there, I'm sure I can make a bracket that'll do the trick, I hope...lol

or8w.jpg

It is not a good idea to use any hydraulic actuation for the parking brake.. If there is even a slight amount of leak down, your car will be rolling down the road.. A cable either works, or it doesn't, hydraulic systems do not work that way.. Same reason you put jack stands under your car, same reason lifts have locking lugs on them

I'm sure you can figure out a spot caliper for your setup.. I plan on using the stock caliper for mine, but I realize you want something prettier

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

what about a small pinion brake?  

That may be a possibility, I'd venture a guess that someone makes a pinion brake rotor that would sandwich between the pinion flange and driveshaft. I'd have to get creative on mounting the caliper but it's nothing I couldn't handle. If I can't make something happen on the knuckle, a pinion brake might be my only other option.

It is not a good idea to use any hydraulic actuation for the parking brake.. If there is even a slight amount of leak down, your car will be rolling down the road.. A cable either works, or it doesn't, hydraulic systems do not work that way.. Same reason you put jack stands under your car, same reason lifts have locking lugs on them

I'm sure you can figure out a spot caliper for your setup.. I plan on using the stock caliper for mine, but I realize you want something prettier

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking. The last thing I EVER want to see is this car rolling away from me, I think I would quite literally shit my pants. If it comes down to it the stock calipers are always an option, but I just have a hatred for them, especially when I have to change pads. The way the pads drop down into the front Wilwoods is so freaking nice, pull two pins, pull out old pads, slide new ones in. No special clamps or anything needed. And yea, as you know I have an unfortunate addiction to fancy shit, so there's that too ;)

i think a pinion brake would add some more awesomeness to your car, but then again, so would wilwood brakes with custom made e-brake mounted with it.  :)

it would be cool, and unfortunately on a lowered/bagged car looks like it would be the first thing to worry about hitting something now.

Checked out my hurst line lock and it says its serviceable but I have not tried to take it apart yet or found the instructions of how too do so.  I have some time let me see what I can MacGyver on it but I think a worm gear to replace the electronics would work. 

i think a pinion brake would add some more awesomeness to your car, but then again, so would wilwood brakes with custom made e-brake mounted with it.   :)

Haha yea either way I do it, it'll be cool. That's kind of the whole reason I love doing this is to figure out solutions to these kind of issues!

it would be cool, and unfortunately on a lowered/bagged car looks like it would be the first thing to worry about hitting something now.

Checked out my hurst line lock and it says its serviceable but I have not tried to take it apart yet or found the instructions of how too do so.  I have some time let me see what I can MacGyver on it but I think a worm gear to replace the electronics would work. 

Yea the ground clearance is something I'd have to keep in mind, I'm guessing that it would need to be a small diameter rotor, I can't find any setups for an 8.8 anyway...

Haha yea either way I do it, it'll be cool. That's kind of the whole reason I love doing this is to figure out solutions to these kind of issues!

Yea the ground clearance is something I'd have to keep in mind, I'm guessing that it would need to be a small diameter rotor, I can't find any setups for an 8.8 anyway...

I couldnt find anything for an 8.8 either.  well you could be completely different and mount the parking brake up front? lol

Well a lunch break netted me some research into the concept of a pinion brake. The bolt pattern of the cobra pinion flange is 4 x 3" which is the same as many racing go kart brake rotors, so there's one option. I'm also looking through various transfer case brakes, one of which might work out for me. All I really need is the rotor, then I can use a Wilwood spot caliper and fab a mounting bracket to hold the caliper and terminate parking brake cable. Nothing concrete yet but an interesting lunch break nonetheless :2thumb:

Same thing I always think. Line locks normally have warnings about the length of time the line lock is used.

And I'm sure you'd love some billet spindles. Doug Van Den Brink drifts a New Edge and he just installed an IRS for 2014. He made billet spindles and I believe he will have them for sale soon or maybe he already does. Just thought I'd let you know. :)

just got a good look at it on the computer. Man, it should be no problem for you to throw together a bracket and tig it to the spindle on the side towards the front of the car. Then you just have to route the e brake cable, which shouldn't be too bad to do for you! lol

Just carry one of these around with you at all times, problem solved!

Airfield_Lighting_Components_Aircraft_Wh

Seriously though, interested to see what you come up with.  I agree with Don about th hydraulic non sense, def need something mechanical.  As for the electronic e-brake idea, if you keep you eyes open the LS's have one.  Might be able to modify it to fit the Mustang some how from a totaled one.  Although it does seem like you're on track with this race- cart rotor you found, would be sweet!

Same thing I always think. Line locks normally have warnings about the length of time the line lock is used.

And I'm sure you'd love some billet spindles. Doug Van Den Brink drifts a New Edge and he just installed an IRS for 2014. He made billet spindles and I believe he will have them for sale soon or maybe he already does. Just thought I'd let you know. :)

Funny you should mention that, I've already been talking to him about them on FB, lol. His knuckles have dual caliper mounts also...which would be badass. I'm pretty sure the price tag will have my jaw on the floor though.

just got a good look at it on the computer. Man, it should be no problem for you to throw together a bracket and tig it to the spindle on the side towards the front of the car. Then you just have to route the e brake cable, which shouldn't be too bad to do for you! lol

Yea that's what I'm thinking, I should be able to fab a bracket no problem. I'm not sure why he was insisting there wasn't enough room...maybe a cost issue? Who knows.

Just carry one of these around with you at all times, problem solved!

Airfield_Lighting_Components_Aircraft_Wh

Seriously though, interested to see what you come up with.  I agree with Don about th hydraulic non sense, def need something mechanical.  As for the electronic e-brake idea, if you keep you eyes open the LS's have one.  Might be able to modify it to fit the Mustang some how from a totaled one.  Although it does seem like you're on track with this race- cart rotor you found, would be sweet!

Yea either setup I end up going with will be cool, mounting the spot calipers on the knuckles will be the most straightforward so I'll try that first, but if it won't work for some reason I'll run with the pinion brake concept. I'm confident I could make it work but as with anything one-off like that, it'll add more build time that equals a longer wait till I can get the car back on the road :(

+1 for chalk blocks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Haha, nah chalk blocks aren't my style lol.

The internal parking brake won't work with the IRS knuckle, I looked into that setup a while back.

Funny you should mention that, I've already been talking to him about them on FB, lol. His knuckles have dual caliper mounts also...which would be badass. I'm pretty sure the price tag will have my jaw on the floor though.

I believe a pair of his front spindles or a pair of front control arms were $600-$650. Hopefully the rear wouldn't be much more than that. :)

I believe a pair of his front spindles or a pair of front control arms were $600-$650. Hopefully the rear wouldn't be much more than that. :)

There yah go @95riosnake. You were gonna buy drop spindles that cost that much anyways :-P

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Haha, no that price point is why I haven't bought drop spindles, lol. $350 like you paid is doable, but replacing my freshly remanufactured knuckles with billet ones for $650 will be hard to swallow lol. Maybe in the future though. He did say he will be offering control arms, which I was interested in, but in hindsight I need the spring cup for the Ridetech bags to sit in, and IIRC his control arms don't have spring cups :(

Haha, no that price point is why I haven't bought drop spindles, lol. $350 like you paid is doable, but replacing my freshly remanufactured knuckles with billet ones for $650 will be hard to swallow lol. Maybe in the future though. He did say he will be offering control arms, which I was interested in, but in hindsight I need the spring cup for the Ridetech bags to sit in, and IIRC his control arms don't have spring cups :(

Yeah man, I wish Shockwaves fit back there.

Yeah man, I wish Shockwaves fit back there.

Yeah according to Jeremy at AirLift, the room just isn't there. I believe him too, because there's very little room between my coilover spring and the sway bar, even a sleeve-type bag like a shockwave would have a hard time clearing, and I'm not sure the compact shockwaves would offer the weight capacity you'd need for the IRS.

On that note, AirLift is supposed to be designing their Track Pack bags for 94-04 mustangs, I was originally in on the introductory group buy list but it's been a LONG time with very little progress so I jumped ship. The only reason I wanted to go with them was because at the time the RideTech shockwaves for our cars weren't adjustable, but once I heard they were redesigning them I was sold on going the RT route. Hopefully sooner than later I'll have some RT front shockwaves and rear adjustable shocks in hand :)

I have nothing to add to the conversation at hand.  I just wanted to share that reading this thread makes me feel totally uncomfortable with how "clean" my car is.  lol...

That techflex is awesome, btw.  I've seen that type of product before (my Dad works for a heavy equipment manufacturer and they make their own engine and body and harnesses and such) but I never knew where to buy it commercially.  That is definitely something I'm logging away for when I re-wrap my engine harness, likely this coming winter.

Something I was curious about seeing, too that I didn't notice in this thread... did you ever get your center console / cupholder gauge pod back from Carbon Driven?

Something I was curious about seeing, too that I didn't notice in this thread... did you ever get your center console / cupholder gauge pod back from Carbon Driven?

Still waiting on that, he was interested in making a mold of it and starting to produce them, then in turn hooking me up with a free CF wrap on it. He's been busy with tons of stuff recently but said it should be ready soon. It should look badass though. I also still need to pull the steering wheel and send it off for wrapping and thumb swells, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

@Carbon Driven

Haha I know Rob, just busting your balls a bit ;)

I know and over the next 2-3 weeks are going to be worse than SEMA :( Just finished for the night.

But the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter... oh wait, is that a train or end of life? I guess its the same either way lol

Yeah according to Jeremy at AirLift, the room just isn't there. I believe him too, because there's very little room between my coilover spring and the sway bar, even a sleeve-type bag like a shockwave would have a hard time clearing, and I'm not sure the compact shockwaves would offer the weight capacity you'd need for the IRS.

On that note, AirLift is supposed to be designing their Track Pack bags for 94-04 mustangs, I was originally in on the introductory group buy list but it's been a LONG time with very little progress so I jumped ship. The only reason I wanted to go with them was because at the time the RideTech shockwaves for our cars weren't adjustable, but once I heard they were redesigning them I was sold on going the RT route. Hopefully sooner than later I'll have some RT front shockwaves and rear adjustable shocks in hand :)

Here are some of the shockwave dimensions:

7000 series are 780lbs @ 100psi, each.  Fully expanded, they're right at 4" in diameter. 

8000 series are 1200lbs @ 100psi, each.  They're 5" in diameter, fully expanded.

Depending on what all has been done to the car, the total rear weight of these cars vary from 1500lbs-1700lbs (roughly).  We use alot of the sleeve type bags in IRS equipped cars, it just depends on what amount of clearance is allowed.  The 99-04 IRS has been modified on a couple of older cars that are running the Shockwaves, as for having a bolt on piece, I just have the standard bag kit as a direct fit.  I haven't got to test a Shockwave on a Cobra suspension, firsthand.  Once I get the new Fox struts finalized, we'll probably be looking into doing more with the Shockwaves on the IRS, on an SRA, it's not a problem at all.  

Here are some of the shockwave dimensions:

7000 series are 780lbs @ 100psi, each.  Fully expanded, they're right at 4" in diameter. 

8000 series are 1200lbs @ 100psi, each.  They're 5" in diameter, fully expanded.

Depending on what all has been done to the car, the total rear weight of these cars vary from 1500lbs-1700lbs (roughly).  We use alot of the sleeve type bags in IRS equipped cars, it just depends on what amount of clearance is allowed.  The 99-04 IRS has been modified on a couple of older cars that are running the Shockwaves, as for having a bolt on piece, I just have the standard bag kit as a direct fit.  I haven't got to test a Shockwave on a Cobra suspension, firsthand.  Once I get the new Fox struts finalized, we'll probably be looking into doing more with the Shockwaves on the IRS, on an SRA, it's not a problem at all.  

That's good to know! I'd be down to upgrade to rear shockwaves in the future if that comes to fruition. When my car is in the air on jackstands and the rear suspension is hanging at full droop, there's maybe 3/8" or less between my coilover spring and sway bar...that's the main clearance issue I noticed. That and how small/confined the area is that the shock goes up into for the rear shock tower.

I'm not scared of a non-bolt on install either, as you could probably guess lol.

That's good to know! I'd be down to upgrade to rear shockwaves in the future if that comes to fruition. When my car is in the air on jackstands and the rear suspension is hanging at full droop, there's maybe 3/8" or less between my coilover spring and sway bar...that's the main clearance issue I noticed. That and how small/confined the area is that the shock goes up into for the rear shock tower.

I'm not scared of a non-bolt on install either, as you could probably guess lol.

It's a tight fit, I've had the Shockwaves on the Mach 1 for testing, but I'm back with the coilovers right now.  The rear shock tower is tight but it can be done.

I know it's an SRA but I've had air on it before  ;)

DSC_0448_zps16f28a2f.jpg

So in keeping with the theme of tying up loose ends while waiting for the brakes, Ridetech stuff, etc. I turned to finishing up the double din radio conversion. I'd been putting it off for a while because I knew it would involve a lot of figuring to find a good way to support the radio.

So I had previously done quite a bit of trimming on the dash to allow the double din bezel to clear, but I needed somewhere to accept the two lower push pins of the radio bezel. So...I just did some more cutting.

Before and after:

2u2b.jpg

p4p5.jpg

Picked up a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar then got to work adding an aluminum piece bolted in place of the plastic I had just cut out.

zh2q.jpg

Next I had to figure out something for the lower pins of the bezel to snap into, so I bent up a couple arms with holes for the pins, then riveted them on.

py54.jpg

7xja.jpg

qup5.jpg

With the bezel all squared away, I finally got out this beauty that has been on the shelf for months waiting patiently for its turn to join the build.

p18g.jpg

So there is literally NOTHING inside the dash to mount the radio to, and unlike the single din bezels, the radio is not supported by the  bezel. So after a couple rough models, a lot of measuring and a couple hours of head scratching, I came up with this. The radio's bracket bolts to the two tapped holes in the front piece of extruded aluminum (I've had a huge chunk of extruded aluminum angle sitting around for years, and was pretty excited to finally be able to use it for something lol), then the slotted holes attach to the lower bracket I previously installed and the steel dash structure. The slotted holes provide some vertical adjustment to let me fine tune the position to get it to line up perfectly in the bezel.

fjc9.jpg

2l17.jpg

qhse.jpg

y18r.jpg

znha4.jpg

qapv.jpg

ln69.jpg

fq7d.jpg

I still need to play around with a couple things to get everything exactly how I want it, but the hard work is done. :2thumb: I still need to transfer the vent assembly over from the stock radio bezel, then I'm going to cut a small groove around the perimeter of the shifter bezel, then paint the outer edge flat black so it will line up with the dash. I haven't decided if I'm going to put a cigarette lighter in the hole of the shifter bezel or mount the SCT switch there... someone used to make a holder for doing that but I'm sure it's been discontinued, along with everything else on the market that isn't for a 05+ :rolleyes:

Lastly, I was looking at the rear knuckle thinking about how I'll set up the parking brakes, and I guarantee I can make it work. The two smaller holes you see here are for mounting the splash shields, but I won't be using them so I'll just drill the holes out larger and make a couple simple brackets to mount the spot calipers.

8os2.jpg

Lookin good.  Double DIN is the way to go.  I was wondering both about the vents and the shifter bezel being wider than the center stack as I was scrolling through, but you're on top of it.  :2thumb:

@ Just get Dan to do some fitment testing on the IRS. If anyone will get you good details on fitment, it'd be Dan!!! If they'd fit I'd really be looking for an IRS. :D

I approve of this, I'd be pretty stoked to do a little work with you guys at RideTech @ :2thumb:

And you know how OCD I am about fitment so I'd definitely be able to get you some feedback.

I can get pics of my bags if it helps any.

They're talking about the clearance for a shockwave on the IRS, unless you did an IRS swap you haven't told us about, lol. Wouldn't surprise me with all the work you've been knocking out on your car though! :2thumb:

Lookin good.  Double DIN is the way to go.  I was wondering both about the vents and the shifter bezel being wider than the center stack as I was scrolling through, but you're on top of it.  :2thumb:

Yea, I always hated the dated look of the stacked single din setup, and this radio is going to kick ass with bluetooth and all. I still need to wire it up, but that'll be a quick process. And yea, @Carbon Driven said that there was no way around that in making a full CF replacement part for the shifter bezel. It'll be a simple fix, and IMO nothing unreasonable. I'm sure some people would leave it alone because it looks fine, but all you have to do is look at the title of this thread to know that I can't leave well enough alone lol.

Ok so I'll def be redoing mine now. Thanks a lot Dan! I still need to hook up the Sirius in mine, it's all just laying in the glovebox.

Do you have a plan for the Bluetooth Mic? I have mine just 3m'd above the rear view mirror for now but apparently you can't hear me too well on the other end from there.

Sent from Space

someone used to make a holder for doing that but I'm sure it's been discontinued, along with everything else on the market that isn't for a 05+ :rolleyes:

spacer.gif

Yup.  Seems a lot of things for our cars are "discontinued".

spacer.gifhttp://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-lighter-switch-1999-2004.html

Someone needs to make a rep of the shifter bezel that omits the cig. lighter all together.  I would snatch one up real quick.

Progress looks great!.