95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Random question - was looking at the picture of your pod mounted and glanced down and was wondering what your mounting bracket setup for your Sparcos is?  I'm using Sparco side mounts bolted to Racecraft floor brackets with no sliders on my Corbeau FX1's in an attempt to get the seat as far to the floor as possible.  That setup did gain me a lot of room but I'm always looking for ways to get them lower as it is still a bit tight with a helmet on.  Sometimes being tall sucks.

The pod for the air-ride controller looks oustanding, btw - like it could have been a production piece from Ridetech.  To me, you're doing something right when a custom made part fits in so well it doesn't even look custom.

Random question - was looking at the picture of your pod mounted and glanced down and was wondering what your mounting bracket setup for your Sparcos is?  I'm using Sparco side mounts bolted to Racecraft floor brackets with no sliders on my Corbeau FX1's in an attempt to get the seat as far to the floor as possible.  That setup did gain me a lot of room but I'm always looking for ways to get them lower as it is still a bit tight with a helmet on.  Sometimes being tall sucks.

The pod for the air-ride controller looks oustanding, btw - like it could have been a production piece from Ridetech.  To me, you're doing something right when a custom made part fits in so well it doesn't even look custom.

The seats are mounted with Sparco side mount brackets, sliders and bases. I had to make a couple brackets to mount the side mount brackets to the sliders, maybe that's why they sit lower? I can get you a pic next time I work on the car if you want.

Thanks for the compliments on the pod. That's exactly what I was going for. I wanted it to look like the stock pod, just stretched and pulled to fit the display inside. Obviously the carbon wrap is a custom touch but I think the shape and design flows really well with the dash, I'm 100% happy with how it turned out. I probably built it in 100 different shapes in my head over the past few months, I'm glad I picked this one lol.

Screenshot_2015-02-25-23-34-17-1_zpstc8q

I came across this on Instagram and thought about your setup. I know you said you weren't 100% on how the lines out of the compressors were. I was wondering how your setup would look with the compressors spun around 180 so the big part (not familiar with this stuff; I guess there's a little piston in there) is on the outside. I was thinking it might flow better with the curve on that big aluminum plate for the big things to be more even with the ends of the plate. And maybe show off the plate more, and then the lines wouldn't have to loop around and could be shorter. Just a thought.

I was going to give that a try this weekend. I had them sitting like that when I was first mocking up the cardboard version of the big compressor bracket. Having the heads of the compressors inboard was an effort to keep the weight more central, but if flipping them would take up some of the slack in the leader lines and flow with the shape of the bracket better I'd be happy. We shall see lol.

i do love those hard lines from the db to the tank. mmmmmm....copper lines  :wub: ????

edit: eehhh.....never mind on the copper lines...would clash like a soab with your fittings and shit huh lol

Edited by tony

Just went through a bunch of your wiring stuff with your battery relocate and to figure out how you secured the techflex (heatshrink the ends).   :2thumb:  :2thumb:    Good stuff!  Thanks for documenting!

i do love those hard lines from the db to the tank. mmmmmm....copper lines  :wub: ????

edit: eehhh.....never mind on the copper lines...would clash like a soab with your fittings and shit huh lol

Yeah I really like the hard lines, but like I said I didn't think it fit with the theme of my car. It looks awesome in a bagged luxury car, a VW/stance scene car, etc. but for some reason I couldn't see it looking right in my car.

Just went through a bunch of your wiring stuff with your battery relocate and to figure out how you secured the techflex (heatshrink the ends).   :2thumb:  :2thumb:    Good stuff!  Thanks for documenting!

Glad it helped! Little tip, the best way to terminate the tech flex at the end of the wire/harness is to use a double layer heat shrink with heat-activated adhesive inside, like this:

http://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=h2a

It will melt into the weave of the tech flex and onto the wire and lock everything in place. That site above is where I buy all my tech flex, heat shrink, etc. by the way.

Oh and one more tip regarding cutting the tech flex sleeving to the length you need. If you just cut it with shears/box cutter, etc. it will unravel. They sell super expensive hot knives that will cut them and melt as they cut to prevent this, but there was no way I was spending hundreds to do that. I lay the tech flex onto a piece of steel flat bar and clamp it so it doesn't move (just little spring clamps), then use a metal handle utility knife and heat the blade with a MAPP gas torch till it starts to glow a bit orange on the edge. Then just press the blade edge down to cut the sleeving without any fraying. It will take the temper out of the blade and it'll be useless for cutting afterwards but who cares. I'd rather lose a few cents on a utility blade than buy a hot knife lol.

Yeah I really like the hard lines, but like I said I didn't think it fit with the theme of my car. It looks awesome in a bagged luxury car, a VW/stance scene car, etc. but for some reason I couldn't see it looking right in my car.

Glad it helped! Little tip, the best way to terminate the tech flex at the end of the wire/harness is to use a double layer heat shrink with heat-activated adhesive inside, like this:

http://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=h2a

It will melt into the weave of the tech flex and onto the wire and lock everything in place. That site above is where I buy all my tech flex, heat shrink, etc. by the way.

Oh and one more tip regarding cutting the tech flex sleeving to the length you need. If you just cut it with shears/box cutter, etc. it will unravel. They sell super expensive hot knives that will cut them and melt as they cut to prevent this, but there was no way I was spending hundreds to do that. I lay the tech flex onto a piece of steel flat bar and clamp it so it doesn't move (just little spring clamps), then use a metal handle utility knife and heat the blade with a MAPP gas torch till it starts to glow a bit orange on the edge. Then just press the blade edge down to cut the sleeving without any fraying. It will take the temper out of the blade and it'll be useless for cutting afterwards but who cares. I'd rather lose a few cents on a utility blade than buy a hot knife lol.

Good to know! I saw their hot knife stuff, and i was like "im going to just use some nice scissors."  glad i said something now hah.   

@95riosnake did you use the Flexo Pet style?

Good to know! I saw their hot knife stuff, and i was like "im going to just use some nice scissors."  glad i said something now hah.   

@95riosnake did you use the Flexo Pet style?

I've used the Flexo PET and the Flexo F6, I think I like the F6 a little better but both are really nice products. :2thumb:

I've used the Flexo PET and the Flexo F6, I think I like the F6 a little better but both are really nice products. :2thumb:

sweet thanks.   Im thinking ill end up with a little of both. 

I can't remember if I ever shared the plan with you guys regarding putting the OCD Fabworks logo on the compressor bracket. Anyway, I sent the logo design to Billet Badges and had them CNC me a badge. I went with a brushed finish and black logo to keep things clean and simple. I also can't remember if I ever showed the final logo design. If not, here it is lol. I'm very happy with it :2thumb:

QTyqBm.jpg

Billet badges ships out their badges with high strength double stick on the back, but tape just isn't how I do things.

So I chucked an end mill into my drill press and started making chips on a perfectly good badge.

cyFGeh.jpg

Milled some flats down just far enough to give me a level surface.

yWX1I7.jpg

IFq3tD.jpg

lkuxo0.jpg

Then holes for 5mm bolts

HZqxFC.jpg

6Xg14s.jpg

Then it was the compressor bracket's turn.

y1QvlJ.jpg

Drilled and tapped a few holes

hvNWVZ.jpg

Q1r5da.jpg

vxzbE7.jpg

That fitment tho.

UsgJtE.jpg

Ef5WAY.jpg

xP8B7E.jpg

JDxCO4.jpg

I tried turning the compressors around to see what that would let me do with the leader lines. This ended up being the only good looking orientation with the compressors turned.

hZXM8J.jpg

I'm 50/50 which direction I like more. The first way hides the compressor wiring better, but the second seems to take up the slack in the leader lines more. I'll have to keep thinking about it. After taking that picture, I disassembled everything to start prepping for powder coat and such. Spent a few hours on that, and still have several more ahead of me.

The logo plate is awesome. I'd like to make a little logo/name of my own someday, even if it never amounts to anything. I'm on the fence about the compressors and lines. I think I like the compressors with the heads better on the outside. Flip a coin, ha.

That logo is the tits! I recall a long time ago you toying with ideas about it and I remember you somehow wanting to incorporate welding into the logo and then that was it. Well cheers sir, you nailed it.

badassss dan! I like the latter orientation. The way the AN lines twist and bends matches up better with the bracket design

Thanks! Yea I think I'm tipping in that direction, the leader lines don't look so unnecessarily long like they do in the first setup.

The logo plate is awesome. I'd like to make a little logo/name of my own someday, even if it never amounts to anything. I'm on the fence about the compressors and lines. I think I like the compressors with the heads better on the outside. Flip a coin, ha.

That's essentially what my logo/name is lol. I just always wanted something that was my own to put on custom parts I make :2thumb: And that's two votes for the second compressor layout! lol

dude that looks incredible! 

Thanks Tony! It's ridiculous how much thought I've put into this setup but it's worth it. I'm pretty stoked at how it's shaping up. I'm gonna blow my own mind when it's all finished lol.

That logo is the tits! I recall a long time ago you toying with ideas about it and I remember you somehow wanting to incorporate welding into the logo and then that was it. Well cheers sir, you nailed it.

Thanks man, I went through probably 20 designs before I had the idea of the tig torch. I kept trying gears and wrenches but none of it looked right, this has a nice fab feel to it but isn't over the top like some logos that end up looking like murals. I'm gonna have to get @69clark to cut me a windshield banner!

The custom rear brake brackets came in, and they look incredible. The machinist sent me a couple videos of the mill cutting them, I thought they were pretty cool so I figured I'd share:

Also a few pics he sent me during the machining process.

r39yvc.jpg

zUuRgT.jpg

LKrsIa.jpg

5HGOHI.jpg

pSnu1Y.jpg

Here are the finished parts. I'll need to put a finish on them still. I think I'm going to leave the edges alone and brush the front and back faces then shoot them with clear.

jhZDL6.jpg

A few cool detail shots. I just love how machined parts look :2thumb:

Z4vaNi.jpg

JrExVw.jpg

qME7Mi.jpg

9QoXFf.jpg

I'll need to TIG these together but it shouldn't be much work.

QzIffg.jpg

I dunno, maybe I should just run the brackets that came with the Wilwoods... lol smh

Ucan9f.jpg

Very nice. That's cool he sent pics and vids too. That stuff is always cool to see. Was this a shop local to you? I may have a need to get a few little things custom machined. Those old brackets remind me of that Steve Buscemi meme floating around, haha.

Very nice. That's cool he sent pics and vids too. That stuff is always cool to see. Was this a shop local to you? I may have a need to get a few little things custom machined. Those old brackets remind me of that Steve Buscemi meme floating around, haha.

He's in NY actually, Tom Clark @69clark referred me to him. He goes by @dumpybunny on IG, a VW guy. I can get you his contact info if you want.

And yea, now that my anger and disgust has faded about those original brackets, they're honestly downright comical. I couldn't imagine sending that to someone with my name on it and I'm not even a "somebody" in the aftermarket automotive world lol.

Not totally sure, but I think Troy really likes the badge.

I really like the badgeI really like the badgeI really like the badgeI really like the badgeI really like the badge

Dunno, but I think Troy really likes the badge.

He's in NY actually, Tom Clark @69clark referred me to him. He goes by @dumpybunny on IG, a VW guy. I can get you his contact info if you want.

And yea, now that my anger and disgust has faded about those original brackets, they're honestly downright comical. I couldn't imagine sending that to someone with my name on it and I'm not even a "somebody" in the aftermarket automotive world lol.

Cool. Yeah, if he takes little odd jobs I wouldn't mind having his contact info. I don't know how to make CAD files though if that's what he requires. I could make detailed drawings with measurements and descriptions of what I'm after though.

Cool. Yeah, if he takes little odd jobs I wouldn't mind having his contact info. I don't know how to make CAD files though if that's what he requires. I could make detailed drawings with measurements and descriptions of what I'm after though.

Yea he is a machinist and does these jobs on the side when he has time, it took him a little while to get all my parts done but as long as you aren't in a rush that's not a big deal. He should be able to work from your drawings, it was just easier for me to give him cad drawings because I work in that program all the time at work. I'll pm you his info :2thumb:

wow! videos of your parts being made? every company should do this lol. you seem to find places with great cs! 2 of them that you recommended to me were both awesome! those things look awesome are you keeping them raw or powder coating/painting them? 

wow! videos of your parts being made? every company should do this lol. you seem to find places with great cs! 2 of them that you recommended to me were both awesome! those things look awesome are you keeping them raw or powder coating/painting them? 

Yea I thought the videos were very cool, and that's about as real as it gets when you're wondering if progress is being made on your stuff lol. I 'm gonna go with a brushed finish and clear coat on these, I think they look cool just aluminum finish. I'm also thinking about bead blasting them possibly, I haven't decided yet. I need to weld the tabs on first before I have to decide on a finish anyway.

that sounds nice!! how visible are those brackets through your wheels? i know you like the fit and finish to be on point on parts you can see especially. so i'm glad you're not just shooting them rio red lol

Yea I thought the videos were very cool, and that's about as real as it gets when you're wondering if progress is being made on your stuff lol. I 'm gonna go with a brushed finish and clear coat on these, I think they look cool just aluminum finish. I'm also thinking about bead blasting them possibly, I haven't decided yet. I need to weld the tabs on first before I have to decide on a finish anyway.

I think the videos show a clear reflection of damn I love my job and this shit is cool!

It's hilarious how bad the old brackets are when they're side by side with the new CNC'd brackets that you designed.

Did you ever have any sort of resolution or refund from the person that made the old brackets?

I can't believe they felt comfortable, not only sending you something that looked the way those brackets look but, letting someone use those brackets to hold brakes on a car. 

that sounds nice!! how visible are those brackets through your wheels? i know you like the fit and finish to be on point on parts you can see especially. so i'm glad you're not just shooting them rio red lol

You really only see a little bit of the parking brake brackets, but you see enough of them that I want them to look nice. I've been thinking about it all morning and I'm starting to lean toward bead blasting then clear coat.

Here's a pic showing how visible they'll be

WN3wVH.jpg

And what brushed vs. bead blasted aluminum looks like:

1GLWO5.jpg

I think the videos show a clear reflection of damn I love my job and this shit is cool!

Very true, you can tell the guy likes what he does. Plus he gets to do cool car-related parts on the side and can make any part he could imagine for himself... I'll admit it had me second guessing my career path lol.

It's hilarious how bad the old brackets are when they're side by side with the new CNC'd brackets that you designed.

Did you ever have any sort of resolution or refund from the person that made the old brackets?

I brought it up, nothing but excuses and it took weeks for each reply. I decided to cut my losses and move on with my life. Cost me $200 for the custom brackets I had CNC'd from 0.375" stainless. When I do the math and think how much of my time and energy it will take to get that $200 back, I'm better off just letting it go. My time and stress is worth more than that. It's worth it to just be done with it all honestly.

I can't believe they felt comfortable, not only sending you something that looked the way those brackets look but, letting someone use those brackets to hold brakes on a car. 

My thoughts exactly. I've showed the brackets to a few people and the general consensus is that none of us would feel confident even backing the car down my short, sloped driveway with those brackets. Complete junk. The only reason they haven't hit the landfill yet is they've made a good conversation piece regarding my feelings about what the automotive aftermarket has become.

I brought it up, nothing but excuses and it took weeks for each reply. I decided to cut my losses and move on with my life. Cost me $200 for the custom brackets I had CNC'd from 0.375" stainless. When I do the math and think how much of my time and energy it will take to get that $200 back, I'm better off just letting it go. My time and stress is worth more than that. It's worth it to just be done with it all honestly.

I don't blame you.  Sometimes it's really just not worth it.

The only reason they haven't hit the landfill yet is they've made a good conversation piece regarding my feelings about what the automotive aftermarket has become.

I hold onto stuff like that, too.  The top shelf of the bookcase in my office at home I affectionately call my Shelf of Shame.  It's all memorable parts from my Mustang, including some that have failed in funny or depressing fashions.  I've got all sorts of stuff up there like the original shift knob,  a stock piston and rod assembly, an old crank sensor that effed me at a dyno tune, a $0.02 o-ring that I had to spend several hours tearing the top half of the engine apart to replace, a super effed up bearing from my blown motor.  People who see it probably think it's weird but I enjoy it.

little late to the party, but i vote for the second compressor position.  i like the twist in the feeder lines.  as for the wiring, can you make a 180 and go under each compressor and then hide it underneath the bracket/tank?

the logo turned out awesome.  and who would have thought?  more assembly bolts!!   i think you need to get this made and put it in your quarter window:

59820784.jpg

the brake brackets are worlds better than those original paperweights.  i think i would prefer the brushed look over the bead blasted.  bead blasting i think will add another color variation to that area that already is somewhat busy.  Not that you don't want to see them but yet you start throwing too many colors at it and its a distraction.  If you do the brushed it will blend better with the wheel finish i think.