95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

I had to do that many rivets because the Q-Logics were not the same contour as the stock panels. I had to force them together with each rivet, doing less would have left a bunch of gaps between them.

One thing's for sure, I don't really care what anyone thinks of the rivets lol. The way they were before, it would have been annoying as hell driving the car with my foot hitting the speaker each time I pushed in the clutch. It's a little bit of function over form at work I guess.

^ it sure is... I told him to make an intro thread for himself with some pics/info on his car but he hasn't yet. :mad2:

79 pace car

Mini tubbed, narrowed 8.8

Ridetech E3

18 x something front, 20 x something rear Budnik wheels

03 cobra motor + whipple

D&D T56

Suede and CF interior, Sparcos

The car is downright amazing, once the new motor/trans setup is done, heads shall explode.

^ it sure is... I told him to make an intro thread for himself with some pics/info on his car but he hasn't yet. :mad2:

79 pace car

Mini tubbed, narrowed 8.8

Ridetech E3

18 x something front, 20 x something rear Budnik wheels

03 cobra motor + whipple

D&D T56

Suede and CF interior, Sparcos

The car is downright amazing, once the new motor/trans setup is done, heads shall explode.

lol, yea he just replied to my pm about it...saw his FB page...holy shit, lol. that's soooo fn original and unique!! kudo's to that fn guy!!!

ok, carry on. sorry to hijack your thread dude. go look at the pics i posted of my crazy ass trunk build so far, hahaaaa!

Everything is black down there and the door panels cover them when the door is shut, so no. The rivets were a necessary evil, I'll probably fiberglass over it all sometime and make them one piece but I've about had enough of this interior/stereo shit. I'm ready to move onto other things.

I can understand this. No one will most likely ever notice it unless you point it out (with the doors shut). Otherwise everything looks great! Cards came out reallllllll nice, kindof jealous of those!

^ haha Tony

And yea, I figured he meant real life. I got a little done on the car this past weekend but not much that was picture worthy. Finished some wiring in anticipation of the CF radio bezel being available so I can finally button up the stereo install, pulled the center console, hoping to find a black 98 console to replace it with. The plan is to use the removable dual cup holder insert from the 98 console and fiberglass it to hold the two gauges that used to be under the radio. Then it will simply snap into the console. I haven't had any luck finding a decent 98 console in black though. The 99-01 consoles were the same cup holder-wise but charcoal in color, which wouldn't be a big problem to dye, but the resulting gap under the back of the console above the driveshaft hump would drive me insane so 99+ consoles are out.

I got my new work bench finished and in place also, I spent most of the weekend cleaning up the garage and reorganizing it because it was a fiberglass and MDF dust-covered mess. The shelves had shit just thrown on them, etc. It was getting to the point that it was hard to get shit done in there so I took some time to tidy things up. I do have to change a wheel bearing on my tC this Friday which will eat into some of my mustang wrenching time but I should still be getting into some picture-worthy updates on the mustang anyway I hope.

I'll get some pictures of the work bench posted in here later tonight at least lol

• Moderators
^ haha Tony

And yea, I figured he meant real life. I got a little done on the car this past weekend but not much that was picture worthy. Finished some wiring in anticipation of the CF radio bezel being available so I can finally button up the stereo install, pulled the center console, hoping to find a black 98 console to replace it with. The plan is to use the removable dual cup holder insert from the 98 console and fiberglass it to hold the two gauges that used to be under the radio. Then it will simply snap into the console. I haven't had any luck finding a decent 98 console in black though. The 99-01 consoles were the same cup holder-wise but charcoal in color, which wouldn't be a big problem to dye, but the resulting gap under the back of the console above the driveshaft hump would drive me insane so 99+ consoles are out.

I got my new work bench finished and in place also, I spent most of the weekend cleaning up the garage and reorganizing it because it was a fiberglass and MDF dust-covered mess. The shelves had shit just thrown on them, etc. It was getting to the point that it was hard to get shit done in there so I took some time to tidy things up. I do have to change a wheel bearing on my tC this Friday which will eat into some of my mustang wrenching time but I should still be getting into some picture-worthy updates on the mustang anyway I hope.

I'll get some pictures of the work bench posted in here later tonight at least lol

Hit me up! I have a mostly blank slate for my garage and am looking for ideas. I just hope they don't put the sprinkler system thing on the wall of the garage I plan to use as a shop.

^ I'll have some pics thrown in here tonight. It's nothing too special I guess, I'm only going to be in this house a couple more years then I'll be stepping up to a bigger house with a 3+ car garage. Everything in this garage needs to be easily removed when the time comes, so I can't go all out like I want to.

• Moderators
^ I'll have some pics thrown in here tonight. It's nothing too special I guess, I'm only going to be in this house a couple more years then I'll be stepping up to a bigger house with a 3+ car garage. Everything in this garage needs to be easily removed when the time comes, so I can't go all out like I want to.

Going all out is what I want to do, but I still have to contend with the money factor. I just want a functional, yet showy garage.

So here are some pics of building the work bench. I don't have any from the very beginning, but I'll just give you a run down of what we did. I wanted a large rolling work bench with storage in the bottom. This way I can roll it out of the way for easy access to the shelves in my garage. My previous "work bench" was two sawhorses with a piece of OSB thrown over them... it was no longer cutting it.

My dad bought a TON of shelving from a warehouse that was going out of business back when I was in college. Along with the shelving came some several T-shaped frames with locking casters on the bottom. They were originally part of rolling parts racks and have a 2000lb capacity. What we did is chop the uprights down to the height I wanted the bench top to be, then laid the cut off part over the remaining upright and welded it in place. Then I re-purposed a metal brace to span between the uprights at the top, and added a steel cross brace near the bottom. The frames have a pretty sweet silver vein powder coat so we minimized the grinding as much as possible, then sprayed the welded areas with a very close shade of metallic gray. Now that you're up to date on what I don't have pics of, here's the semi-complete metal frame, sturdy as hell too.

img0884j.jpg

Here's where the cut off piece was welded onto the top of the upright

img0886wd.jpg

Then I welded some mounting plates into the ends of the cut off pieces with nuts welded on the back of the plates. This way I could bolt the frame of the bench top onto the metal frame from the sides.

img0885gq.jpg

Added a plywood lower storage level

inprogress5.jpg

Then the plywood bench top with a double layer of plywood around the edges to give me a strong edge to clamp against when I'm working on things. Also there's a 2x4 frame under the bench top that bolts to the metal frame.

inprogress6.jpg

Painted it with gloss oil-based gray so it will be easy to clean without worrying about taking paint off with cleaners

inprogress8.jpg

These are sides that slip into existing lower channels that the T-frames already had. The top of them bolt into the top of the metal frame.

inprogress9.jpg

And here's a few finished pics with it loaded up with stuff. I added a power strip under the front edge of the bench top that I got from Lowe's also. The cord for it runs around the inside of the bench top , connecting to an extension cord. Now all I have to do is plug the cord into the wall and I have 10 outlets to plug things into rather than running extension cords all over the place. When the cord isn't plugged in, it gets coiled up and hung from a hook on the back of the work bench.

img0959wx.jpg

img0961qg.jpg

img0962cc.jpg

^The shelves in the garage are from the tons of shelving my dad bought back in the day. He has probably 10x as many shelves in his garage, lol.

I'm planning to make racks that attach to the sides of the bench to hang my wheel dollies from when I'm not using them, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edited by 95riosnake

• Moderators
Thanks Brian!

I forgot to mention I'm also looking around for a piece of rubber to cover the top also, no luck yet lol.

Get the "puzzle piece" gym flooring from Home Depot.

Yea Troy I'll be in the garage tomorrow working on it most of the day, you can grab that bell housing off me while you're at it. I'll text you my address.

Ok so...started getting the trunk floor panels fitted 100% so I can get them wrapped by an upholstery shop. It previously slipped my mind to put the taillight panel in place, but I threw it in and thankfully I did this before having them wrapped because they needed quite a bit of trimming to fit with it in place.

Messed around with the cardboard templates I still had sitting around, then marked the panels for a little trimming:

img0966sd.jpg

img0967ev.jpg

Cleaned up the cuts and fitted all the panels back into the trunk, good to go! I'm planning to have a local shop wrap these, I still haven't totally made up my mind between suede/alcantara or black carpet...hmm. Either way I'll be getting with them this week about taking the panels up to them next Friday.

img0968ua.jpg

I had a small order placed with Late Model Restoration for some plugs to fill the switch holes in the upcoming double din radio bezel, a new speedo gear so my speedometer will finally be right (been using my GPS lol) and while I was at it, I decided the rusty, tired looking trunk lid bumpers might as well get spruced up. This is more evidence of my automotive OCD, lol.

img0953f.jpg

img0951gn.jpg

img0954kr.jpg

Console is out while I look for a 98 console to relocate my gauges into also. Those of you who have a 99+ console in your 94-98, how bad is the gap at the back? It's proving to be almost impossible to find a black 98 console in good shape.

img0957yd.jpg

img0958ir.jpg

Lastly, I went through the lengthy process of getting the car up in the air, then mocked up the cutouts. As you can see in the picture below, there happens to be a really great spot they'll fit into right behind the cross member, I'll just need to weld some bends onto the X pipe (which needs a new coat of paint anyway, after the dipstick blew out last summer and sprayed the bottom of the car with oil lol)

img0963nx.jpg

You can see in the next pic how nicely it fits. A short bend welded onto the pipe right after the headers will do the trick. I'm also going to make flow tubes that run from the cutouts and tie back into the exhaust after the mufflers so everything will still come out the side rather than onto the ground like most cutouts.

img0965zq.jpg

Just placed an order for some aluminized bends to tie into the X pipe (since it isn't stainless), some 3 bolt flanges and copper gaskets to bolt up to the cutouts, and some 2.5" stainless tubing to make flow tubes after the cutouts. Once I have the flow tubes done, I'll start rebuilding the side pipes higher off the ground :thumb:

Thanks man! Hoping they'll help hold it up a little better. With the wing moved back it hangs just a hair on either side and beat the brand new paint off my quarters :(

Actually now that I look at it, the part number I gave you is for 94-98, and the 99-04 springs have a different part number for some reason. Whether they are actually different in reality, no idea but here's the correct part # for your car. :thumb:

LRS-43128BPR

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-43128BPR/1999-04-Mustang-Rubber-Trunk-Bumpers-with-Spring

God i'm just always in awe of how spotless the underside of your car is! Couple things.

First, remind me to take a pic tomorrow of my 03/04 cobra console and the gap in the back. I've been thinking of a way to have it fill in and the best idea that I've had so far is to either buy the carpet for a 99-04 so it goes up flush to the console and basically stuff it underneath, or stuff my carpet underneath to see if I can close the gap.

Second, for your 3550, what bellhousing are you using, and does the crossmember mount need to be modified in any way?

God i'm just always in awe of how spotless the underside of your car is! Couple things.

First, remind me to take a pic tomorrow of my 03/04 cobra console and the gap in the back. I've been thinking of a way to have it fill in and the best idea that I've had so far is to either buy the carpet for a 99-04 so it goes up flush to the console and basically stuff it underneath, or stuff my carpet underneath to see if I can close the gap.

Second, for your 3550, what bellhousing are you using, and does the crossmember mount need to be modified in any way?

Cool, I just want to see what this gap looks like, I haven't seen a pic anywhere.

Where did you get the dye you used? I found a black 98 console on eBay but it's faded pretty bad, otherwise it's in good shape. I could just hit it with some dye and call it done possibly.

I honestly don't remember what bell I used, sorry. It's been a while, I remember doing all the research on corral and found what I needed there, maybe give that a shot.

For the cross member, no I didn't need to modify it. It was a tight fit but it worked for me. Some people choose to mod their cross members but I didn't need to.

Dan, what cutouts are you going to use? I was going to do cutouts this year, just not in the budget now.

Doug's Stainless cutouts, I'm holding one of them in the pic below :thumb:

img0965zq.jpg

And a little more info on them from a few pages back:

Doug's stainless electric cutouts. I did A LOT of research on e-cutouts to find out which suck and which don't. Most of the companies use a butterfly blade design, like DMH and QTP, but I heard nothing but bad reviews of them leaking, rattling, and burning out the motors. I finally found the Doug's cutouts, which had stellar reviews and are guaranteed not to leak. I got them for a great deal less than most places listed them, if anyone is looking to get some, go to www.marylandspeed.com, they have hands down the best price on them. Go here: http://marylandspeed.com/dougs-electric-cutouts-25-pair-with-ypipes-and-hook-up-kit-dec250ak-p-3920.html and use coupon code facebook5 to knock another $18 off the total. :thumb:

As you'll see in these pics, they use a totally different design than a butterfly. The only drawback is they are bigger in size than the butterfly type. I'm gonna have to get creative installing these, but I'm determined to make it happen.

img0929b.jpg

img0930ey.jpg