95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

2 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

I posted a house update in my other thread (the bathroom), just haven't had time to do an update with the fence build. Now I'm into a dining room and living room remodel. Mixing in a rebuild/restore of a Yates American 14" disc sander though so I'll be covering that in the other thread soon

It feels like I'll never get this car back together. I just haven't had the time or sadly, even the interest to make any strides with it. I need to get the lighting handled in the garage first at minimum. I did a trial run wiring the same light fixtures in the basement/wood shop so now I'm comfortable with how to wire them. It'll be much harder in a 10' ceiling room and there will be waaaaay more fixtures but I plan to start getting that going soon. Gonna need my dad to come help, hanging 8' long fixtures by yourself isn't easy lol.

Take a weekend trip out to @Det_Riot 's house, it'll light a fire under your butt to get motivated!  Just sitting in his living room makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about car things!  

20 minutes ago, Steve-Oh said:

Take a weekend trip out to @Det_Riot 's house, it'll light a fire under your butt to get motivated!  Just sitting in his living room makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about car things!  

This is the truth! Just don't have 5 people poop and shower simultaneously in an hour, my old sewer pipes aren't too fond of it. Especially when the sump pump is deciding to be a bia!

i hear the motivation problem Dan.  it's tough to get back into the car after buying a house.  You have all those projects going on and the car always comes second fiddle.  been in the house 2.5 years and i've barely done anything with the cars that i thought i was going to.  hell, i still haven't bought a compressor or lift like i thought i would have by now.  

i tore down the drop ceiling in my "basement" garage and re insulated.  going to put 12 of these in there.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Pro-Strip-Shop-Light-Common-4-ft-Actual-3-23-in-x-48-03-in/50352822

little pricey but the beauty of these is that you can run 7 of them off one wire.  they have a ganging piece.  so i have three boxes mounted with only one light temporarily in place until i get drywall up, then going to put 3 more in each row.  so essentially 3 rows of 4 lights.  12 x 3,600 lumens = 43,200 in a 24x26 w/ vaulted ceiling.

21 hours ago, Prokiller said:

i hear the motivation problem Dan.  it's tough to get back into the car after buying a house.  You have all those projects going on and the car always comes second fiddle.  been in the house 2.5 years and i've barely done anything with the cars that i thought i was going to.  hell, i still haven't bought a compressor or lift like i thought i would have by now.  

i tore down the drop ceiling in my "basement" garage and re insulated.  going to put 12 of these in there.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Pro-Strip-Shop-Light-Common-4-ft-Actual-3-23-in-x-48-03-in/50352822

little pricey but the beauty of these is that you can run 7 of them off one wire.  they have a ganging piece.  so i have three boxes mounted with only one light temporarily in place until i get drywall up, then going to put 3 more in each row.  so essentially 3 rows of 4 lights.  12 x 3,600 lumens = 43,200 in a 24x26 w/ vaulted ceiling.

I actually used a couple of those in the basement, only they were the single bulb thin ones rather than the double. There was a spot where there were two huge HVAC ducts and I couldn't hang the regular fixtures in that 6 foot space, but there was about 4" between the two ducts. So I basically framed a small drop down screwed into the floor joists above, then mounted two of those in series using that ganging connector you mentioned. Worked like a charm.

Yea I definitely didn't think it would take me this long to get going on the car. It's just been hard to find the time to dedicate to getting the garage fully functional. Right now there are only 4 60w bulbs out there and it's miserably dim. On top of that you're almost always working in your shadow, which is pretty close to the top of my list of things that make a space unworkable. Hopefully I can get crackin on that soon. Once the lighting is up and I won't need to push the car over on wheel dollies, I can get it up in the air and get back to work making that stupid ass Team Z k member fit correctly. Then it'll be onto getting the air ride sorted, brakes installed, fixing the quarter panel, then some paint work. Then it'll finally be back on the road.

On 1/17/2017 at 11:45 AM, 95riosnake said:

@Tabres Some guys on GJ could write a thesis on how to make toast. I take some of it into consideration but in general I would always just go for the "more is better" option and scale back if needed.

About a year ago I scored 20 8' 4 bulb T8 fixtures off Craigslist for $400, they each use four 4' T8's. I replaced the warm white bulbs they came with and went with cool white (4100k) bulbs. I find the higher temp bulbs (5000 and 6500) very harsh and unpleasant to work in (we have some 6500K at work and I hate them). I just used 4 of the fixtures in the basement woodshop, and plan to most likely use 12 to 16 of them in the garage which is a 27 x 23 with 10' ceilings. I plan to wire them so that every other fixture is on one switch and the other half are on another. That way if I'm just popping in quickly or doing basic garage work I can just have half the brightness, but if I need maximum visibility I can turn on all 48-64 bulbs. I'm going to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit solely for the lights, then another for 110v outlets and a third for a 220 circuit (planning ahead for a TIG and a big compressor in the future).

I wanted to do LED's but the price of admission was just too much for me right now considering how many fixtures I wanted to run. Like you said, swap ballasts in the future if I want, but I honestly doubt I ever will. LED technilogy is great but I think sometimes people just want to upgrade to LED because they are dazzled by the high techness of them lol.

I was able to get some 5400K T5's for in my garage and I absolutely love them.  I spend zero amount of time out there though except to pull the cars in and out at this point :-/ hah

4 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Right now there are only 4 60w bulbs out there and it's miserably dim. On top of that you're almost always working in your shadow, which is pretty close to the top of my list of things that make a space unworkable. 

this exactly!  i told katie the amount of lights i wanted in this garage and she thought i was nuts.  then we're working on waxing the truck in the other garage and against the wall in the big bay it's very dark.  she goes "okay fine, i agree with need all those lights in the garage.  how soon can we do it in this garage?"  SCORE!

On 1/17/2017 at 0:55 PM, Det_Riot said:

This is the truth! Just don't have 5 people poop and shower simultaneously in an hour, my old sewer pipes aren't too fond of it. Especially when the sump pump is deciding to be a bia!

I thought I had some ahole friends but none of them shit in my shower let alone 5 of them.  is that a special occasion or just a tuesday morning?

On 1/20/2017 at 11:09 PM, ttocs said:

I thought I had some ahole friends but none of them shit in my shower let alone 5 of them.  is that a special occasion or just a tuesday morning?

hahaha damn you got me on that one. I think i was a little frustrated when I typed that up, oh well

I love your attention to detail Dan!

You're over 50 pages on this thread so I guess I can post now.  

OCD is a good tag, love all the pieces you've fabricated and put together so clean, polished and fit.

Good work, as always.

6 hours ago, Dalamar said:

I love your attention to detail Dan!

You're over 50 pages on this thread so I guess I can post now.  

OCD is a good tag, love all the pieces you've fabricated and put together so clean, polished and fit.

Good work, as always.

Thanks Dal! Now if I can only ever get back to work on it, I'll be in good shape lol.

SO,

Option 1:

The house has taken priority and there is ZERO progress on the car.

Option 2:

The car is in the middle of a Super-Secret Wide Body Conversion that only those with a super-secret decoder ring security access key card to the new build garage know about or...

Option 3:

He's just busy.

I'm voting option 4, because Dan always comes up with ideas that no one else can come up with, so it can't possibly be one of the above.:)

(Holding breath...)

Haha, well we're never making any babies, and we've had a dog for 4 years now so those aren't the cuplrits. The house is the sole culprit. There just isn't time or money left over for the car, and in the grand scheme of things the house is way more important and an actual investment compared to just being a money pit. Don't worry, I haven't lost interest in the car, and it pains me every time I look at it. Everything is boxed up and ready to go back together when I get the time.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2013 at 11:36 PM, 95riosnake said:

Thanks man, no I don't have any pics without spacers in the rear with the Y2K's, sorry

As far as the intake plaque, sorry to disappoint but that is a bit beyond my skill set still, lol maybe someday. Here's how the intake plaque went down:

I loved the look of the COBRA plaque on the stock intake on my old 302, so I decided to make my new SysteMax have the same feel for the 347. First I put the intake on the end mill at work and shaved the top smooth, followed by TONS of sanding with a palm sander. This was the result:

picture041xm.jpg

I then worked up a rendering of the new plaque that would accept an OEM cobra fender badge and be secured on using allen bolts so it could be taken off to access the center mounting bolt of the intake.

picture042e.jpg

Next, I machined out the mounting plate, tapped the bolt holes and TIG welded it onto the top of the intake. It was a bit tricky getting the cast intake heated up enough to weld properly without warping the shit out of the mounting plate. The welds turned out pretty nice for the amount of trouble I had welding to the cast aluminum.

picture043g.jpg

picture044g.jpg

Check for fit one last time:

picture047uc.jpg

Then contacted Steve at Billet Badges to have him CNC the intake plaque, after a couple months (this was a 100% custom job, much more going on with it than their normal stuff so it took a little while) it showed up looking sexual :thumb:

badgeh.jpg

Hey Dan I'd love to get more info on making my intake badge similar for the 94 I'm building.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Sure, what did you want to know?

Well yesterday I was super curious and did a little homework with the info you provided. I talked to Steve @ billet badges and he gave me the rundown on what he could remember though it was 5 yrs ago or so lol. I'll likely use my performer 2 intake and the plate will not need to be screwed on because the access bolts are out of the way. So in that regard mine will require less work and I can go with a stick on plate; if that will work and not have to worry about coming off later. I'm thinking maybe double sided tape. My intake also will be powdercoated. So I'm thinking with mine it just need the lettering and lines milled or shaven off and then I can make a template out of cardboard and send to Steve. Not sure I want to do all of that though but I definitely thought it was worth inquiring. I think it would definitely stand out.

Edited by from6to8

Also, how do you like the drilled and slotted rotors? Over the years I thought I read where one of them, rather it was drilled and slotted, or just drilled or just slotted, wasn't worth spending the money on because it didn't help keep the brakes cool or something along those lines IIRC. I bought the 94 cobra in October and the front calipers are already painted or coated but I'll likely redo them. I definitely want to bling up the rest of the brakes as well (rotors, ect. )

25 minutes ago, Infinite_one said:

Rumor on IG has if that this will be started up again shortly 

That's the plan. I won't be making leaps and bounds of progress but I'm planning to at least start chipping away at it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

What a bunch of lazy fawkers we all are!!!!  Lol

and i know that most of us really aren’t lazy. Time and money, when you have one you don’t have the other. Or you just don’t have either. 😂 

“It doesn’t cost me anything for it to just sit there.”

- me

😆

• Like 1

16 hours ago, White95 said:

“It doesn’t cost me anything for it to just sit there.”

- me

😆

Story of my life. Though I just put PLPD back on my rolling shell so that I can register it and get my personalized plate again so now it is costing me money :unsure::unsure:

• Haha 1

It's pretty bad when I've renewed my registration so many times now, with the exact same mileage, that I don't even have to go look at the odometer to fill out the renewal anymore. 131,376 since October 2012 lol. (bought it with 99k on it in 2003)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

theres gotta be an update to this. i remember seeing this car driving in champaign IL during my undergrad and always loved it. thought it was the perfect sn95 just from the svo side exhaust. then today i randomly stubbled on this build thread and wow, it really is the perfect sn95...