95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

Ok so I don't have much to show for this update that is picture-worthy. I've got almost 3 days of contorting myself and bending backwards inside the car doing wiring behind me now, lol. None of the previous audio wiring that was in the car prior to this winter is in the car anymore. The further along I got the more dissatisfied I got with some wiring I had done as much as 8-9 years ago so I just ripped it all out and started fresh. I'm really picky about how wiring is run so this process took me a while. It's 100% complete now, but there's nothing too visually exciting about showing you the wiring so I'll spare you the boredom, lol.

One thing worthy of pictures is that I got the grilles for the kick panel speakers painted, and the kick panels are now installed. I don't have a pic of this because my shop-vac decided to kick the bucket and the inside of the car is littered with stripped wire insulation and such, so I'll get a pic of that once I grab a new shop-vac and clean it up.

While scuffing the grilles to repaint them, I noticed I didn't like the pointed design of the spokes, so I rounded them and like it much better. Here's a comparison of how they came and what I changed:

img0922o.jpg

img0921qw.jpg

Both prepped for paint:

img0923fn.jpg

Primed:

img0924ga.jpg

Complete:

img0926pt.jpg

And a little before/after comparison:

img0788e.jpg

img0925d.jpg

When I thought I was ready to button everything up and try out the new speakers, I found that I in fact did not have 3 pairs of RCA pre-outs on the back of my Alpine head unit like I thought (you need 1 pair for the front channel to the amp, 1 pair for the rear channel to the amp, and 1 pair for the sub to the amp), this head unit only has 1 pair for the sub... so that won't do. This has finally pushed me over the edge to convert to the newer-style double din radio bezel so I can run a nice double din setup.

Out came the old radio and shifter bezel:

img0927a.jpg

And these beauties are on their way from Carbon Driven... full carbon fiber replacements, not factory bezels wrapped with CF, these are the real deal! :pepper:

The radio bezel isn't yet available but I pre-ordered one, he said they'll be available in 2-3 weeks. I'll have to figure something out for the button holes at the bottom.

carbondrivenradiobezel.jpg

carbondrivenshifterbeze.jpg

Here's the link to their site, Rob is a great guy and his stuff is super nice. It's awesome to see someone making CF parts for pre-05 mustangs FINALLY.

http://www.carbondriven.com/

Also have this beaut on the way, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH head unit. This thing is sick.

avhp4400bh.jpg

Here it is mounted in a guy's car I found on SVTP

f36229ea.jpg

So those last 3 purchases illustrate how my projects on this car snowball out of control, lol. I just can't leave any stone unturned, much to the "delight" of my wife ;)

Lastly, one thing my car has always needed is louder exhaust (read that with VERY heavy sarcasm, lol), so these showed up a couple days ago, Doug's stainless electric cutouts. I did A LOT of research on e-cutouts to find out which suck and which don't. Most of the companies use a butterfly blade design, like DMH and QTP, but I heard nothing but bad reviews of them leaking, rattling, and burning out the motors. I finally found the Doug's cutouts, which had stellar reviews and are guaranteed not to leak. I got them for a great deal less than most places listed them, if anyone is looking to get some, go to www.marylandspeed.com, they have hands down the best price on them. Go here: http://marylandspeed.com/dougs-electric-cutouts-25-pair-with-ypipes-and-hook-up-kit-dec250ak-p-3920.html and use coupon code facebook5 to knock another $18 off the total. :thumb:

As you'll see in these pics, they use a totally different design than a butterfly. The only drawback is they are bigger in size than the butterfly type. I'm gonna have to get creative installing these, but I'm determined to make it happen.

img0929b.jpg

img0930ey.jpg

Edited by 95riosnake

Wiring pics, wiring pics, WIRING PICSSSS!!! Looks sick Dan!

Haha, if you're serious I can take some. It does look pretty nice and sanitary, which is why it took so long lol. The only wiring you can still see is the wiring for the rear components/crossovers, and all the wiring inside the rear seat delete bottom for the 4 channel amp. It's turning into a bit of a wiring center down there, lol. I'll snap some pics of the wiring along with whatever updates I have for everyone next week. I'll say I am so glad the wiring is over with... my fingers are raw and my arms are all sliced up from reaching inside that razor blade factory known as the dashboard lol.

You mean the gauge panel for the lower radio slot? I won't be able to use it, I'm guessing you're interested in it, lol. I made that way back in the day, it installs without any mods to the radio bezel too :thumb: I never ended up using the switches, I had aspirations of nitrous and other stuff, but ended up going the blower route. They just have wire leads coming off them with crimp connectors ready to connect to whatever. I'm still deciding where I'll relocate the gauges to, I'm thinking of making a pod to replace the ash tray door.

I spent a summer fighting rising water temps when I had the stroker and the stock radiator setup, I found it quite easy to see the water temp gauge down there, lol... especially since every time I hit traffic I was nervously watching it climb and climb ;)

• Moderators

Really dumb question... how do you install a shifter boot on the new bezel? I've been trying to figure out a better method than melting it on like Ford did.

I have a Redline Goods boot which I'll be transferring over to the new one (hopefully, provided I can get it off my old one, along with the billet trim ring). It is just epoxied to the bottom side, I just did it a couple inches at a time with clamps. I've never tried fitting a new factory shifter boot so I'm not sure on that.

• Moderators
I have a Redline Goods boot which I'll be transferring over to the new one (hopefully, provided I can get it off my old one, along with the billet trim ring). It is just epoxied to the bottom side, I just did it a couple inches at a time with clamps. I've never tried fitting a new factory shifter boot so I'm not sure on that.

I'll probably end up getting the Redline stuff myself. Those carbon fiber bezels looks so good. I wish they wouldn't look goofy in a saddle interior car because I want them!

well that just ruined my monday. i thought i was making good progress on mine then i see some of the details you did last year with that blower that i didn't even notice. and now the sound system getting done. i need a garage...

Here are some pictures of the wiring since some people seemed interested, lol. These show the wiring for the rear speakers, the component amp and the sub amp, as well as the crossovers mounted and wired.

img09312.jpg

img09322.jpg

img09332.jpg

As much as I wanted to just be done with the kick panels finally, I found myself thinking all week about how much I hated the way they fit. The problem is they don't mount very securely, and fit poorly. They eliminate the hole for the push pin that holds the rear half of the kick panel against the side, so they flop around (they came with a bunch of long screws, but I'm not sure I'm down with blindly running screws through that area since there's a ton of wiring there. The one on the driver's side stick out so far into the foot well that my foot rubbed the speaker grill if I pushed the clutch in. They also don't cover the pinch weld in the door jamb like the factory panels do. So I decided that will not do.

Here you can see how the speaker pod isn't designed to cover the door jamb pinch weld. This picture shows the first cut line I drew, of many lol. I basically kept cutting and cutting until I was able to get the Q-Logic to fit over the factory kick panel. The plan was to attach the Q-Logic panels to the stock panels so they would mount securely and neatly just like the factory panels did.

img0934large.jpg

Another showing the difference in Q-Logic vs. stock

img0935large.jpg

Once I had the trimming done to allow it to fit the stock panel just right, I riveted them together.

img0937large.JPG

The driver's side had to be trimmed a bit different but I still think it looks pretty clean.

img0939large.jpg

I thought about leaving them this way but the look of the rivets reminded me too much of Harley saddlebags, so I set about making them blend in. Masked them off and sprayed them with the textured flat black paint I had left over from the sub enclosure.

img0938large.jpg

Much better:

img0940larged.jpg

img0941large.jpg

Installed, I think they look pretty nice really. I obviously wouldn't have chosen the rivets rather than a panel that just fit right from the beginning, but I think this is a good compromise. It actually has a kind of badass look to it. When there's a normal amount of light inside the car, you can barely even see the rivets. A lot of extra work, but I at least now have speaker pods that fit exactly like factory :thumb:

img0943large.jpg

img0944large.jpg

Next step is getting the Carbon Driven radio bezel in (should hit the market in a couple more weeks) and installing the Pioneer AVH unit (hasn't come in yet) to fill that void in the middle of the dash, and I can finally try out all the new speakers.

img0946large.jpg

Speaking of Carbon Driven, the shifter bezel showed up this week. This thing is absolutely beautiful. By far the highest quality carbon fiber part I've ever had.

img0947large.jpg

And look a this, they actually designed a CF part that snaps in just like the factory piece! (This is a rare thing in CF parts, you're usually on your own when it comes to mounting them)

img0948large.jpg

Also, my business cards for Mustang Week (and beyond, considering I got 500 of them, lol) showed up from Napalm Inc./Eazel Printing. They look sick, hopefully they'll bring us a few more members too!

img0949large.jpg

img0950large.jpg

I'm hoping I'll get some more garage time today and tomorrow, so I might have another update this weekend :thumb:

Edited by 95riosnake

The sound imaging from them is supposed to be awesome (because they point up at you, and are supposed to make the front soundstage much fuller), plus more speakers would help the stereo be heard over my exhaust lol. There aren't any other places up front to add more speakers unless you make your own enclosures in the door panels like Scott is doing. And I'm not down for doing all that.

Everything is black down there and the door panels cover them when the door is shut, so no. The rivets were a necessary evil, I'll probably fiberglass over it all sometime and make them one piece but I've about had enough of this interior/stereo shit. I'm ready to move onto other things.

Everything is black down there and the door panels cover them when the door is shut, so no. The rivets were a necessary evil, I'll probably fiberglass over it all sometime and make them one piece but I've about had enough of this interior/stereo shit. I'm ready to move onto other things.
lmao. i feel ya. i'm making sub enclosures from fn paint buckets so i need to stfu honestly, lol. you're cars so sick rivets dont even matter.

i never thought of rivets as ricey, lol. i just thought there were alot of them. dont matter though. i mean it's kind of a cool look and it's all about the sound anyways.