Psychorugby

50 Shades of Red

• Moderators
I used 8' and 4' flouresent lights on all the walls at my shop cause Im a sticler about working in pour lighting. Its a top 5 pet peeve of mine lol

Don't yell at me too much if it isn't fixed by this weekend. I have a 50 hour week I have to cram into 3 days before I can get to working on the garage.

Don't yell at me too much if it isn't fixed by this weekend. I have a 50 hour week I have to cram into 3 days before I can get to working on the garage.

no worries chris I can manage an engine pull in the dark. Its the small detail work that I wont do under poor lighting lol

• Moderators
Sweet build. Wanna sell me your original Rio front bumper? lol.

Possibly... shipping might be a bitch though.

Gastonia huh? I have a scrap facility there... best be taking your scrap to Metal Recycling Services.

Yeah I didn't think about the shipping. Mine looks pretty rough. Rock chips on the front and clear peeling under the headlights. Tried buffing it but the paint didnt like it too much without clear.

Hey I'll make you a deal bud, you give me the bumper and I'll start taking my scrap there :)

• Moderators
Yeah I didn't think about the shipping. Mine looks pretty rough. Rock chips on the front and clear peeling under the headlights. Tried buffing it but the paint didnt like it too much without clear.

Hey I'll make you a deal bud, you give me the bumper and I'll start taking my scrap there :)

Haha. Probably cheaper to get it painted. My bumper looks like shit too. What side skirts are those, the ABC Exclusive?

Haha. Probably cheaper to get it painted. My bumper looks like shit too. What side skirts are those, the ABC Exclusive?

You're right. My paint is pretty faded out, it'd be hard to match. Cheapest I've found is $400. I've just been looking around for a cheap one already painted till I can paint the whole car. I'm not really sure what they are. I got em off craigslist a long time ago. They could be ABC but I think they were from a DynoMax kit from back in the day because I cant find many that are exactly like them.

• Moderators

This build might go sideways before it even gets going. Since my daily driver X5 is coming up on needing some extensive maintenance/repairs, we're talking about getting the 5.0 spruced up so that I can daily the Mustang if needed. I might have to drive this shitbox to work as soon as I get the suspension installed.

• Moderators

Finally made some progress today!

Getting ready for @95opal to arrive:

F53DF6CC-4EEC-449F-9D90-B59886B19BC5_zpsruzdiz5d.jpg

Taking off the accessories:

6DD78B19-F082-42A2-BFA0-CE30D88446F7_zpsel0mstoe.jpg

Found some former inhabitants. The car sat for a couple years and I have since found at least 30 wasps nests. When I started working on it again, I just dropped a bug bomb in the engine bay and walked away; I'm allergic.

8AFA655D-87A0-4D27-A461-4C9454BFCCE2_zpswzftwkat.jpg

Off comes the smog crap:

7735799A-B87E-4E41-B78F-DEF89C4C9FD1_zpsqsulduwr.jpg

Dropping the cats and H-pipe:

B14053BF-5DAA-409E-BD69-8AED4CE2DD19_zpsnkf8lazh.jpg

Ready to come out:

D0821F8D-8EF0-40C2-B9D3-6B2E50EDEF39_zpsu3wtiyii.jpg

And out it comes:

4AE88C56-0941-44AC-819A-1AE36D91E576_zpszmq734pb.jpg

3ACEA020-F5D3-48F3-B0DA-A7B3B722D7B4_zpslkf9l94i.jpg

I give you the stock 132k mile 302 motor:

EF0EB869-0DAC-4100-8B46-F6B131B7DDE3_zpse79lk2eb.jpg

The bay ready for a wire tuck and some engine bay smoothing:

1CCAE0CE-7513-4110-8F32-05DC5A647BC5_zpsz3l6arc9.jpg

After the trans came out:

76EADA5F-C5D2-4883-8D14-E25EDB18033A_zpsosg8ur9c.jpg

The aftermath.

D0C9243C-5C16-48BE-830F-5A62000AC0E7_zpsam0rgkmo.jpg

Cleaned and put away. What a giant pain in the ass it is to clean up coolant, oil, power steering fluid, fuel, R134, and transmission fluid up off the floor. I'm pretty sure I will never get the relief cuts in the slab clean again.

CFA6DE19-EE40-4313-A91A-1C96DAABE74E_zpsodhnjclw.jpg

Sorry to say the Mustang Week cruise shirt took a hit today (I'm testing out the deep steam cycle on the new washer now):

8600C7C9-9A63-44A8-B1A0-06B3205A86C7_zpsbkgzazz4.jpg

464451AC-B362-454E-B5FB-DE0F38A12D27_zpsy3vtq6in.jpg

I should be able to get my hands on a pressure washer next weekend to clean up the engine bay a little more. The underside of the car actually looks almost new, so I should only need some soap water, and elbow grease to get it clean. Then I can put her up on jack stands and take off the wheels, brakes, suspension, steering, and rear end for cleaning or replacement.

Edited by Psychorugby

• Moderators
Hell yes. The start of many badass posts to come. Soooo happy

I sure hope so Brian. There's still a lot of work to go to get her down to a shell.

Nice work guys!!! Gettin' shit DONE!

Yessir! :bananen_smilies055:

this is gonna be sweet!!

Thank Tony! As long as I can figure out where this build is going aesthetically, I think it will be sweet. I have a lot to live up to your build.

Awesome man, I wouldn't worry too much about the relief cuts in the floor...you just officially broke in your garage properly is all! Think of it as an engine pull christening ;)

Oh the garage got christened alright... including Rich's coffee! Thankfully I won't have to do any grinding underneath the car to christen the garage again. Rich suggested I just hit with soap and water and call it good since it still looks pretty much brand new. I think 50 Shades need some OCDFabworks ideas and design help.

Heck yah chris! Getting shit done!!!! acn't wait to see how this develops this winter! especially with @95opal's help!!

Thanks Bryan! I can't wait to see what happens either. I cannot for the life of me figure out what kinda theme I want to go with on the exterior and engine bay.

My wife actually got a little excited as we were pulling the motor... then she got nervous when she realized that I was actually working on it and we were one step closer to paint lol.

If anyone has suggestions how not to ruin my driveway if I spray degreaser on it and start giving her a bath, I am all ears.

Edited by Psychorugby

Chris instead of gackin up your driveway with grease grab a 4" angle grinder and some 60, 80 gritl grinding pads. Take the bay down to bare metal and start filling holes. You can thank me for the dust later lol.

• Moderators
Chris instead of gackin up your driveway with grease grab a 4" angle grinder and some 60, 80 gritl grinding pads. Take the bay down to bare metal and start filling holes. You can thank me for the dust later lol.

Was thinking all the old oil from the front/rear main leak gunking up the pine needles and wasps nests might be a bit of an issue. The steering rack is the nastiest piece, so I can remove that, but then can't push it out to hose it off. I guess it's good ol' elbow grease for the underside!

• Moderators
not done yet? lol

Haha spent the rest of the weekend studying for final tonight. I'll hit it with a shop vac this week and put her on jack stands. My wife asked when you were coming back. She is more anxious now than I am lol.

• Moderators

[MENTION=59]95opal[/MENTION] came over again Saturday afternoon...

9178378C-DD54-436C-800F-CA5E91BE3820_zpshfphcl8p.jpg

Rich started the wire tuck while I got started wrestling with the front suspension. It looks like I will have an epic trip to the scrap yard soon! Only have to cut the shock nuts off, disconnect the brake hard lines, and detach the ball joints and tie rods, then I can drop the whole K member. I hope that is today's job since yesterday was lost to hanging out with family.

Passenger side done and ready for smoothing!

73467FCE-B10E-434A-8CCB-884FE97D9257_zpsfkv93lip.jpg

Did you get time to drop the K yet?

<br /><br />The pic I received today confirmed that yes he did drop the k out!<br /><br />Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk<br /><br />

It's rare to see Rich with sleeves, I think I saw him wear sleeves one time, that's it. lol

You can always count on a tank or cut off sleeves and a cigarette. Sometimes you can substitute the cigarette for a beer, cup of coffee, or DSLR.

• Moderators

Got bored last week and started to lay out all of my parts (some parts not shown such as spring perches!!!!!!!!!!!)

6C91AF5C-ED2D-44A6-97D1-9BDA52881B21_zps

Kaleidoscope of colors... thinking I will get the springs coated red to match calipers.

8DC7FDB1-4FB6-4D64-AD6E-736460FEEA57_zps

Took three days of Freeze-Off and impact wrenching to get the shock nuts off.

3F1373A5-9FB2-4AF4-AC71-E836B5EDED03_zps

My friend came over Friday afternoon to work on the car; he's been dying to do so.  Three hours later, the K member and rear end both were out.

BADEA40C-286F-4185-8763-CC90F86F4211_zps

8EB74242-E607-43FE-99C8-219A12D7B085_zps

70A64C67-CBA4-433A-B401-DCAB352BC418_zps

The garage.

C7FFDEB0-1DE1-40A7-BA2B-E46203F6B001_zps

Today I will be cleaning up the garage to get my shed inside so I don't get fined $100/day by the HOA.  That means I should have the K member and rear end broken down for rebuild and/or scrap.  Then I can mock everything up, and hurry up and wait for paint.

• Moderators

Rich has sleeves!

Here he is cutting the fender to move the fuse box to the fender:

6AC79FCB-9EAE-4DA0-A68B-D1F2F6AD9589_zps

4B9F2779-1F06-448B-928D-497D45D3AC9B_zps

And cutting holes to move the injector harness:

6F7BE0B7-AB80-4A6A-8E69-3FFBAB1E1FDC_zps

56D059DA-6D92-4D86-B016-A5804B580504_zps

Wire tuck complete, with the exception of extending a few wires:

F33B1535-1702-426C-9778-72257E122238_zps

• Moderators

Damn @95opal you don't mess around! How do I convince you to come to Michigan for a winter and do this =p Looking good Chris! I'm sure the exciting is becoming unbearable now!

The excitement level is definitely at an all time high!  If I can figure out where to get some sheet metal today at lunch, then Rich and I might be able to start fabbing up panels.  I need a welder too...

nice progress keep up the good work, cant wait to see more,love seeing are cars getting the love they need after they are getting so old :)

Thanks!  She's been in the family for 15 years, so she definitely needs the love!

You're definitely in the hands of someone who knows his shit when it comes to wire tucking! Looking great Chris, bet it feels awesome to be making progress finally!

It's amazing the work @95opal does.  I thought I was good at visualizing stuff, but he takes it to a whole new level.  Rich has truly been an inspiration and he is one of the most positive people I've ever met.  He can already see his car's red sister done before we even get started.