Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

"The optional occupancy sensor offers 360-degrees of monitoring to automatically turn on the light when someone (you, your kid, a burglar, a puma) enters through the space and turn it off after they leave."

Sold

Sent from Space

• Moderators

"The optional occupancy sensor offers 360-degrees of monitoring to automatically turn on the light when someone (you, your kid, a burglar, a puma) enters through the space and turn it off after they leave."

Sold

Sent from Space

My garage door opener lights have occupancy sensors and I love them.  I actually walk into other rooms in the house and look at the ceiling like, "wtf?" when the lights don't automagically turn on.  Those lights provide enough light for just hanging in the garage, but they turn off on their own too... which is fun when you're three garage stalls away doing something and all the sudden it's pitch black.  Then you have to dance around and wave like an idiot to get them to turn back on.

those things do look bright as hell but my concern would be shadows.  yes it's bright but if your working in a shaded area like the other side of the car then you'll still need supplemental lighting.  i'd rather put more lower wattage lights all over the place to avoid the shadows.  my plan is to add some of the 8' housings to the wall of my garage so that the side of the car is light nicely, not just the top of it.

• Moderators

my plan is to add some of the 8' housings to the wall of my garage so that the side of the car is light nicely, not just the top of it.

More or less my plan too, Ryan.  I currently have 4 overhead single bulb sockets, one I installed a barn light for my work bench.  I'd like to keep those for every day lighting, adding an additional circuit that would have 12-16 four foot T5 fixtures, possibly more if I were to add lights on the side walls in the back bay.

My garage door opener lights have occupancy sensors and I love them.  I actually walk into other rooms in the house and look at the ceiling like, "wtf?" when the lights don't automagically turn on.  Those lights provide enough light for just hanging in the garage, but they turn off on their own too... which is fun when you're three garage stalls away doing something and all the sudden it's pitch black.  Then you have to dance around and wave like an idiot to get them to turn back on.

You guys missed the most important defense with those lights...  It protects against PUMA's!!!  (not the shoe)

• Moderators

Any progress on those tables yet Chris?

No.  I have to take a half day off work to get the steel... so I haven't done that yet.

• Moderators

Got some work done on the tables this weekend.  It's killing me how slowly it's going, but the end result is worth it... and my wife is probably happier than I am.  I'd say I was 50/50 on the day as far as weld quality goes.  I had a really good bead right of the bat, then a bunch of shitty ones, then finished with a few good ones:

D42699A3-0965-4178-ABB1-DA33C3798A3D_zps

10196D00-EA3D-4BC8-8A08-DFB6FB8E2876_zps

D30EB86B-A555-478E-9B6D-DE63A5B3E556_zps

They all look the same ground down though:

F492296D-7FEB-4452-A137-99ECF8FD409C_zps

44AB2CBF-0C7B-452F-A25F-51DAEBBD8981_zps

Here's the almost finished leg for the console table; need to grind down a few welds, hit the whole thing with the flap wheel, then patina the whole thing:

8BD72977-B132-4776-A44B-519F8DD9F879_zps

Yes, I was welding in flip-flops... no, I didn't burn myself.  It's hot as fuck in the garage, sue me.  Either my eyes are super sensitive (possible) or my welding mask sucks (probable), but I'm pretty sure I need a new mask.  I also desperately need more light in my garage and I think I may have gotten that "project" green lit yesterday as my audience was listening to me cuss for a few hours.  Fans would help too.

Oh, and more garage art!

29646FE1-A95F-4482-A3FD-2D4D863C61E9_zps

• Moderators

please tell me youre not welding in sandals lol

Yes, I was welding in flip-flops... no, I didn't burn myself.  It's hot as fuck in the garage, sue me.  

bird-comeback-emoji-fangirling-Favim.com

• Moderators

Looking good Chris! Practice makes perfect and you're getting a lot of it on this project. :2thumb:

LOL, yeah... only 104 more welds to go once I get everything cut.

• Moderators

Does anybody watch Cuban chrome?!? There was an episode where the guy was cutting and welding on the front frame area with no protection at all.................

..........must be a distant relative of the flip flop welder we have here!!!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Got the job done and didn't hurt myself. Can't ask for much more.

• Moderators

Lookin damn good dude!!!

Thanks man!! Linda said if I can get one leg done per weekend, she'll be ecstatic. Goal is weekend after this to get the big table done (less patina and clear coat). School starts this week, so things will slow down a bit.

• Moderators

What do you plan to do with the table!!!???  ;)  :rolleyes:   115lbs :o

Have it hold two lamps and a couple of pictures LOL.  The damn wood alone weighs 35lbs.  Then add on a frame of 2x2 steel tubing...

Closer to the truth.  

Yeah she sounds like one of those wives that doesn't understand or cares about our hobbies or toys and has a schedule that you need to make sure you're on the same page.  Mine understands my car hobby to and extent and even provides goodies from time to time but when she wants something done God help you if you're not on the same page as her.

I'm lost........

.......so she hit him in the head with the nail that we hit on the head about him nailing her on the table?!?!?

if this makes it easier for you to understand then that's what we'll go with  :P

• Moderators
On 9/15/2015 at 8:14 AM, Evilcw311 said:

Actually Chris's wife is cool as can be!!! She's more understanding than most that I've met.

She is!

• Moderators

vacation to ohio???? dooo iiit! if you can handle ^ this guy you could handle me <-----no homo

I wish (no homo). Funnily enough, I used to go to Cincinnatti a couple times a year for work, but never had enough time to travel up to Columbus. You come to FL and I'll take a few days off?

• Moderators

Chris I'll be in Orlando in a few weeks. You can come hang out with us there!!!! Lol

Lemme know when. We might could make that happen. Linda goes back to Louisville in October and November.

• Moderators

I'm getting better at this welding shit (except on the car; I suck at that)

2FBF27FB-D2D8-4024-9455-108370BB88C1_zps

Can barely see them when they're ground down. Wish I was good enough to leave them... Maybe the next piece of furniture.

09C3B1AE-BE2B-444B-BD5D-4BF6C2735AC6_zps

Second leg burned in; still need to grind it down.

9C495E98-5790-4EEF-BD4E-AC195B116532_zps

And mocked up just for shits and giggles.

E96ADFC0-1915-40C7-99C4-D88B5FD46F33_zps

1B49AB1A-E99F-496F-A5D3-74FBD10C8D8F_zps

Packed it in when it became a logistical nightmare to balance this mess and keep it all square... One cross member half welded on.

491CCF71-B0EE-4E34-A13C-F0A5A5C23526_zps

• Moderators

I got home Wednesday with the intention of finishing the console table except for the patina and clear coat (not sure which variety of patina to use)... then my friend came over unannounced so I lost a couple hours bullshitting.  However, in the hour I had left before "quiet hours," I managed to get the frame completely welded together.  It still needs to be ground down.  What a giant pain in the ass it is to keep everything square in three dimensions.  In the end, I think the whole thing twisted about 1/8"... but it sits pretty level:

FDABADF9-3955-4799-A5D8-98692B0D4895_zps

Mocked up the top to send pictures to Linda.  It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I built it and kinda like it... and she's pretty stoked too!

31EAB541-1480-415F-9918-B0C8D264ACF6_zps

9D5427E7-4EBC-4677-B4C7-2F91CA1DA67A_zps

This thing is not going anywhere once I get it in the house lol.

BDAAA42F-8FC0-422E-9513-FC4B7D927EFF_zps