Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

• Moderators

I foresee a steel framed, aged timber crib, lol.

First thing my wife after we told her brother Thursday is no making furniture for the baby's room... "Haha, I wouldn't be done with it until the kid is walking anyway."  I could see painting the room, and possible some sort of trim or bead board.  

• Moderators

Just saying.

My friend and I have already talked about ordering shit from LMC truck and making a bed in the bed!  Just for that I will probably get a girl.

• Moderators

This could ease the pain of that a little

Is it weird that the Corvette bothers me more than the abundance of pink and purple?  I always knew it was a chick's car.

• Moderators

Finally hung the chandelier I bought for my wife a couple years ago. This time the delay wasn't my fault, as it required a lot of drinking on her part lol:

4E0A509D-AABD-4236-88DC-0DA7E0D5B4B0_zps

D8DADEE0-73DD-4DE5-85E9-82AC91547D5E_zps

Also painted the laundry room, which isn't noteworthy except that I'll have to do it again because my cut in areas aren't the same color as the rest of the wall... And it all came out of the same can of paint.

8DCC3485-E505-443C-A2EA-7CE35F18395A_zps

• Moderators

Ugh I hate cutting in, I still have to go back over all the edges of the kitchen to hit the light spots again.

The chandelier looks badass, I dig it completely!

Thanks!  It looks way cooler than I imagined it would.  I do need to get different bulbs for it since the white base on the Sylvania LEDs is really noticeable upstairs, and 4x40w is not enough light.  It was hilarious after she picked out all the bottles... all the leftovers went to the recycle bin, which is like a 60 gallon trash can.  We filled it completely with neatly stacked wine bottles.

I hate cutting in too, but my friend who is a paint contractor taught me how to do it without tape so it's a lot faster.  It's ridiculous how fast he cuts in; he basically did five times what I did in the foyer when we painted it this weekend.  I'm really looking forward to redoing the laundry room again lol.

Thanks!  It looks way cooler than I imagined it would.  I do need to get different bulbs for it since the white base on the Sylvania LEDs is really noticeable upstairs, and 4x40w is not enough light.  It was hilarious after she picked out all the bottles... all the leftovers went to the recycle bin, which is like a 60 gallon trash can.  We filled it completely with neatly stacked wine bottles.

I hate cutting in too, but my friend who is a paint contractor taught me how to do it without tape so it's a lot faster.  It's ridiculous how fast he cuts in; he basically did five times what I did in the foyer when we painted it this weekend.  I'm really looking forward to redoing the laundry room again lol.

I never mask where the ceiling meets the wall, I only mask the trim and the edges of openings into other rooms. Doesn't matter how good the seam between the ceiling and wall looks, it's never flat, smooth or straight in any house I've ever painted. Freehand is the only way to go for that area.

• Moderators

I never mask where the ceiling meets the wall, I only mask the trim and the edges of openings into other rooms. Doesn't matter how good the seam between the ceiling and wall looks, it's never flat, smooth or straight in any house I've ever painted. Freehand is the only way to go for that area.

I don't even tape trim anymore; his tricks have really helped me out... and saved money on tape lol.  If your baseboards/chair rail have a flat top on them (and mine don't so it takes a tad bit more skill), you can rest your brush on the top of the baseboard, painting the top of the baseboard/chair rail.  It gives you a visually straight line when looking at it versus the waves where the trim is nailed to the wall if you paint just the wall.  I also try to paint about a 1/4" of wall color onto the ceiling.  That creates the visually straight line as well so you don't see how shitty the drywallers were when they built the house.  He was trying to teach me some tricks with the roller this weekend too, but those habits are much harder to break.

• Moderators

Operation: Getshityou'vebeensayingyougetdoneforeverbutnowhavetogetdonebeforeakidcomes was in full effect this weekend, though I didn't get as far as I wanted... at all.  I intended on new getting cabinets hung in the butler's pantry for my wife, shelves in the garage hung, and at least started on cleaning the garage.  I got one of the three done.  

My wife wanted to get a hutch for her china and crystal (thanks, Mom for the gifts that get used at most once a year and the expense of completing the sets).  I talked her out of this expensive and large piece of furniture by convincing her that I could get upper cabinets in the butler's pantry that would serve as the hutch.  I work for a builder now, who conveniently uses the same cabinets as the folks that built my house, and last week finally pulled the trigger on buying two 33x42 cabinets with glass inserts.  Holy expensive, however still cheaper than a hutch.  The best part of this delivery was blowing the driver's mind by opening and closing the garage remotely from work haha.

25C1DEE4-949C-4563-8C9C-C38DF4F0A74C_zps

After wasting half a day running errands with my wife, I got about this far before my drill ran out of juice... which was even funnier since I said about five minutes prior that I wish I had two drills since I was changing out bits so much:

89103B2B-F87F-4944-A0A6-9A4CF8C4F6F3_zps

I guess it worked out nicely since my wife and BIL were both starving.  Him I couldn't have cared less about, my pregnant wife, on the other hand, I wasn't going to argue with.  Came back home from dinner after giving the drill a break and finished up!  I still have to put the hardware on, but need to get the right jig from my friend.  I also think I am going to end up drilling more holes for shelves to fit stuff the way she wants in the cabinets.  That is going to be super nerve-wracking.  

D80AF698-31AE-47A5-9CA3-56CF31E6F767_zps

I installed the old cabinets in the laundry room as part of phase 1 in that project.  Funny how these cabinets look completely normal in the kitchen area, but MASSIVE in the laundry room.  I hung a closet rod in the remaining space over the dryer so the hall bath upstairs can stop being used as a Chinese landromat.

38B9994E-A362-4CD7-AB47-13E75B650599_zps

There will be two more phases to this project, but neither are time sensitive - casing in the washer and dryer and adding a sink/counter for phase 2, and building some sort of bench/upper cabinet area on the other side of the room to serve as a "mud room" and hide this mess as phase 3.

A061B2D7-8C2F-434A-87ED-125DA1DB9954_zps

Now for the shit y'all care more about, garage stuff... I've got a couple things in the works, but no real pictures yet.  I finally figured out a lighting plan for the garage.  

2015-11-05%2011_26_19-Lighting%20-%20Ske

If I can get the shelves over the garage door hung this week while I am bach-ing it, then I can clean up a lot of the mess, move the motor stands down by the 95, and make room for some potential late 50s Craftsman goodies to move into the garage!  

Most importantly though if/when I get the shelves hung, I'll create a lot more room to get the rear end installed in the 95, which is my next goal since I am absolutely useless at welding on the engine bay.  I'm just gonna have to take my lumps from @95opal when he gets here.  I really want to make some progress on that car, but get so damn frustrated and depressed every time I try to work on the engine bay.

Finally hung the chandelier I bought for my wife a couple years ago. This time the delay wasn't my fault, as it required a lot of drinking on her part lol:

4E0A509D-AABD-4236-88DC-0DA7E0D5B4B0_zps

D8DADEE0-73DD-4DE5-85E9-82AC91547D5E_zps

I'm not even going to try to lie about this but that shit is getting pinned into the house idea folder because damn :)

• Moderators

I'm not even going to try to lie about this but that shit is getting pinned into the house idea folder because damn :)

I wish I could remember where I bought the frame - somewhere in Europe.  Actually it came with clear bottles too.  I just had no desire to hang anything chrome/clear in the house, so I sanded the whole thing down and gave it about 15 coats of hammered pewter... and of course let the wifey collect bottles.  Within a couple hours of hanging it (Halloween), she had four or five compliments on it from folks.  She's super proud of it because it has bottles of wine from several special occasions.  

I wish I could remember where I bought the frame - somewhere in Europe.  Actually it came with clear bottles too.  I just had no desire to hang anything chrome/clear in the house, so I sanded the whole thing down and gave it about 15 coats of hammered pewter... and of course let the wifey collect bottles.  Within a couple hours of hanging it (Halloween), she had four or five compliments on it from folks.  She's super proud of it because it has bottles of wine from several special occasions.  

My aunt and uncle are artist and make shit like this all the time so the frame I wouldn't worry so much about but I have a lot of wine to drink to fill that thing lol.  Oh and buying a house would help too.  Looks great Chris you both should be proud of it as it's unique and has meaning to your family.  Hats off to you sir.

• Moderators

My aunt and uncle are artist and make shit like this all the time so the frame I wouldn't worry so much about but I have a lot of wine to drink to fill that think lol.  Oh and buying a house would help too.  Looks great Chris you both should be proud of it as it's unique and has meaning to your family.  Hats off to you sir.

Thank you sir!  

My brother and his wife actually have that exact chandelier in their kitchen, albeit with the clear bottles mentioned.  I've always really liked it.  It looks neat with the wine bottles.

On 11/8/2015 at 8:54 AM, Psychorugby said:

O

Now for the shit y'all care more about, garage stuff... I've got a couple things in the works, but no real pictures yet.  I finally figured out a lighting plan for the garage. 

2015-11-05%2011_26_19-Lighting%20-%20Ske

what are you planning on using for lights again?

I'll be using the same ones, I'm also failing at finding the links at the moment. Basically it works out to $36 per fixture, including buying two bulbs for each. That's cheaper than some big box stores' fluorescent fixtures without bulbs. Problem is I need around 15 lights... I need to hold off on that purchase for a bit lol. At some point I need to get all the pics from my phone uploaded and update my shop thread before I get too far behind and it gets to be too much to cover lol. Hopefully one night this week or weekend.

• Moderators

@Blackmage @95riosnake

Fixtures - http://www.ledlightingwholesaleinc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LSS2XT8USE4803&CartID=1

Bulbs - http://www.beeslighting.com/product-p/zy-t8-18w1200-bins-50k.htm?CartID=1

Total for 10 fixtures and 20 bulbs shipped to me will be $359.80.  You cannot beat that anywhere else.

• Moderators

Started another garage project last week, but, as is typical for me, I still have a few loose ends to tie up on it... shelving over the garage doors!  

You can kinda sorta see in this picture that I had an obstacle to overcome first when installing the shelf - the 2x8s that were used to install the door tracks extend further up than the height of the garage door, and where I wanted to install the shelf.  My first thought was to cut the 2x8 down, but that sucked in a major way even with an oscillating tool.  My eventual, easier solution was to put a 2x4 on either side of the 2x8 anchored to the wall, then anchor the shelf to that (and the wall with really long Tapcons):

D5AF9043-FE87-4C27-A491-1E87169E83FE_zps

By the way, trying to lift a 2'x8' shelf structure over your head while on a ladder, and run a drill at the same time is nearly impossible.  I cheated death twice during this project (and I still have the second shelf to install).

8A2CC4C8-2A94-45AB-AACF-7225CF539A54_zps

Mercifully, my drill died about the point I had the shelf up under its own power.  I still have to go back and add ceiling supports and run Tapcons through the shelf to the block wall.  It fits like a glove though (1/2" clearance between shelf and door):

EDIT: Evidently video links from Photobucket don't work here.  Sorry.

This weekend my wife asked me to "finish" flooring the guest room downstairs.  I put finished in quotes because I stopped the flooring at the doorway to the bedroom per her request when I did the floors the first time around.  

357858E3-37F4-4DD5-9641-BB3C9A034396_zps

I was faced with three options here: (1) leave the hallway as is, continue flooring the bedroom, and have a threshold between the hallway and bedroom; or (2) figure out how knock the 5-6 planks out in the doorway to the bedroom, then continue flooring into the bedroom; or (3) dismantle the entire hallway and do it right.  After consulting @95riosnake to make sure I wasn't retarded, I settled on option 2.  

A1176AFF-48ED-46A8-BD63-7C08E62F328A_zps

This was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  However, getting new, full-sized planks back in their place was not easy at all.  Also, I was essentially installing the flooring backwards - floating floors can only be installed in one direction, and in this case, that was from the back right corner toward the door.  I ruined a couple planks of laminate before remembering this.  So I had to lay out all my pieces from the back of the room forward in order to measure how much to cut off the first piece and install the whole row as one piece.  FUN!  After about 6 hours (thanks to having to run to Lowe's for a new deadblow hammer... don't ask), this was as far as I got before having to go to dinner at the in-laws.  FUN!

956BA835-90DC-4A94-B263-4972227F2B21_zps

Started on it again after church and lunch yesterday, and after fighting installing a few rows, realized that what I installed Saturday was not running straight.  I ended up taking apart 3-4 rows, then beating the whole floor back into square from the corner.  FUN!

98310C8C-C0F5-45E0-948A-368038EF86FC_zps

After fighting the rain all afternoon with my saws under a tent in the back yard, I finally got to a decent stopping point.  I only have funky cuts - the sides of the room are all table saw cuts, and two pieces in the closet are jigsaw cuts -  and the shoe moulding left to do tonight.  

A1F59DFE-89A1-4AD3-B6E7-045F107F436B_zps

I came down from showering to find this, which I know most people won't care about, but it was cool to know my wife was excited enough to have her brother finish putting the bed together so she could make the room up:

154AC780-0D50-4F13-B6A1-BAEDAF458D22_zps

The room looks so much bigger now.  I still have to paint whenever she picks out the color; the sample on the wall wasn't a winner lol.

I still have to paint whenever she picks out the color; the sample on the wall wasn't a winner lol.

We have 3 samples on our master bedroom wall right now.  Still no winner.

I really like the quarter round you used on your base moulding.  Are you planning on finishing it any differently where it meets the trim around the door openings?

• Moderators

We have 3 samples on our master bedroom wall right now.  Still no winner.

I really like the quarter round you used on your base moulding.  Are you planning on finishing it any differently where it meets the trim around the door openings?

It's not actually quarter round, but that's really hear nor there lol.  I usually miter the ends to 22.5° where the shoe moulding meets the door frame and then paint it.  Well my wife is supposed to paint the ends, but, come to think of it I don't think she ever did on any of the doorways.  Whoever installed the floors at her parents house used actual quarter round, then mitered a return piece to cap the trim at the door frame.  I'm not a fan of that look; it's kinda chunky looking.

• Moderators

The garage got some early Christmas presents yesterday thanks to my dad picking them up for me.  Now I just have to wait until he starts moving stuff down here to actually get them... 1951 Craftsman table saw and jointer!  They've both been rewired already and spruced up a tad, but could use some TLC (they probably won't get it in my garage though LOL).

The jointer:

AEBBA188-F0BA-45F6-8697-C16523997C14_zps

58886B23-23C0-4C3C-8545-FF75EB3D672E_zps

4ABB14B0-1FBB-4C27-80ED-89C5B1343750_zps

9DA49E41-7049-4361-9A03-0C6661A05D3E_zps

The table saw (and extras!):

1D72C876-7A4E-45A3-80F9-46DE1512B03E_zps

A1E2A789-1A3E-4070-A9B0-53EACD289DD9_zps

F242061E-7CBF-462A-92AC-9E298CAD52CB_zps

15CB35C2-3AC1-43FF-944A-47077D60584A_zps

• Moderators

great score Chris!

Thanks, Ryan!  I've already got a project or two lined up for the jointer, but I have to wait for Dad to bring them down... which means I'll have to help load them on the new car hauler.