Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

• Moderators

what are you going to be doing? of all the things i have planned to make for the house, a jointer is the one tool that i can't think of much use for.

Right now, countertop in the pantry, possibly landings on the stairs (router is probably better), and top for a TV console table I want to make

• Moderators

^with all that goin on, it's no wonder you never have time for ol'red!!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

None of that is scheduled yet, just been kicking around in my head.  Some time in 2016, I'll be doing the pantry, the staircase, and possibly the pool bath... as well as a baby's room.

I have my final Thursday, so school is a non-issue for a bit.  Hopefully I can get the garage cleaned up Saturday and invite @95opal over on Sunday if for nothing else than to have coffee and bullshit.  I've got about a month until school starts again.

of all the things i have planned to make for the house, a jointer is the one tool that i can't think of much use for.

Anytime the edge of a board isn't flat or smooth, that's the entire purpose of a jointer. Especially useful when a board has a slight warp to it. If you have a planer and a jointer, you can turn just about any shitty piece of wood into a nice one.

ill be around until the 1st week of January then Im off to jam out a project up in NY. I know I just got down here but money talks and its enough to make me drive the 1900 miles back lol. Soon as I knock it out I will be back down for the remainder of the winter.

• Moderators

ill be around until the 1st week of January then Im off to jam out a project up in NY. I know I just got down here but money talks and its enough to make me drive the 1900 miles back lol. Soon as I knock it out I will be back down for the remainder of the winter.

Works out kinda perfectly I guess since I'm out of commission this weekend with a gout attack. Wtf. I also have to get shit cleaned up around the car so we can work.

Glad you got some paying work this time of year, but I'm looking forward to having a cup of coffee or six and learning from the master. Maybe one day after work before you leave, we can shoot the shit?

Rich would a plane ticket not make more sense?!?

Works out kinda perfectly I guess since I'm out of commission this weekend with a gout attack. Wtf. I also have to get shit cleaned up around the car so we can work. Glad you got some paying work this time of year, but I'm looking forward to having a cup of coffee or six and learning from the master. Maybe one day after work before you leave, we can shoot the shit?

Evil yes a plane ticket would be ideal except i have brought a ton of tools down with me to do some remodeling on the old ladys house and will need them for work. Not paying tobship them all back and with gas as cheap asvit is its pretty much cheaper to drive. Im also pretty used to the rip and have no problems with the 18hr drive gas and go baby lol.

Chris wasnt looking on taking any work as im pretty spent from this years season already. In fact i i had two contracts sitting on the table but with the cool weather its just a hassle as it takes twice as long to complete and the jobs just dont come out as good in this type of weather. This driveway is just a colored broom finish and its pretty much prepped already just needs some rebar dropped in and poured. I can be in and out in about a week and the pay off is just to good to turn down. But ill be back down as soon as i wrap it up so coffee is still a go whenever you want we can even toss a few sparks around lol

• Moderators

Chris wasnt looking on taking any work as im pretty spent from this years season already. In fact i i had two contracts sitting on the table but with the cool weather its just a hassle as it takes twice as long to complete and the jobs just dont come out as good in this type of weather. This driveway is just a colored broom finish and its pretty much prepped already just needs some rebar dropped in and poured. I can be in and out in about a week and the pay off is just to good to turn down. But ill be back down as soon as i wrap it up so coffee is still a go whenever you want we can even toss a few sparks around lol

I definitely wanna throw some sparks around! I know you're down here for family and vacation so don't want you "working" if you don't have to. Other than pegboard, cleaning up the garage, and developing a few ideas (possibly with your help), my project list is clean... Ready for work on the pile of shit!

• Moderators

Spent a little time in the garage New Year's Day and Sunday cleaning up in preparation for the "new" jointer and table saw.  I got both overhead garage shelves up, but the second needs some more Tapcons in the wall for peace of mind.  I hung my fat ass from both shelves so I know they aren't going anywhere, but still...

All paint and related supplies on one shelf:

C2C9F0C7-2319-463E-86A7-189AD3196340_zps

Holy hell we have a shit load of paint that, for some reason, my wife wants to keep.  I think I'll be sneaking a few cans into the garbage when she isn't looking and claiming ignorance if she ever asks.  I might also paint a wall or two in the garage with the same color as inside the house since I have about seven gallons; at least where I plan to do a pallet wall so white doesn't peek through.  

Once I got that shelf all loaded up, I started on the second shelf to store all our camping shit (we don't camp):

55DA6354-6B44-4105-84BD-02AFADD65DFE_zps

Hung some of my tin signs:

DE9B2D11-7461-4044-B234-6A7E10632958_zps

My wife and her brother we up playing Dr. Mario on the NES Sunday and I really didn't want to sit around and get fatter so I puttered around the garage for a few hours.  If I didn't point specific things out, you'd never know I did anything.  I did however clean out a spot for the water softener I am supposed to be buying and installing soon, as well as a place to move the two motors/stands:

1D3F9CD8-925B-47CF-A0A5-C74F39F9405C_zps 

That stack of tile and pavers will probably get tossed or put on the shelf with the paint once I've thinned the heard up there.  I've still got a lot of cleaning to do under the motors/stands to get them movable, but it's a start I guess.  The garage is almost usable... definitely clean enough for me and @95opal to throw some sparks when he gets back down here!

• Moderators

I really want to be out hanging some peg board and cleaning up tonight since Linda is asleep... However, she is asleep and using a hammer drill is probably not my best idea.

• Moderators

She's asleep..........

Have you heard a hammer drill in concrete?! And the walls I'm drilling in are adjacent to walls under the bedroom... And she's pregnant. I don't wanna die.

• Moderators

Chris..................take a deep breath and think............ What do I do for a living?!???

I drill threw walls all the time. I use a rather large full rotary hammer drill.

I was just picking on you!!!!

[emoji39]

I was watching football, not thinking!

• Moderators

I started on the peg board last week after work one night; I've put this project off long enough.  I think this was a combination of a couple evenings' worth of work, which sounds stupid until you realize I had to clean out all the mess in the way, every hole had to be drilled three times (hammer drill, countersink, tapcon), and I had a hell of a time getting the tapcons to bite initially.  

31456AFB-6878-48F5-8892-7E38828B60E9_zps

Thursday night I got the peg board up on the short wall (right side of my bench) and called it quits for the night:

EC430ADA-8DA4-487C-954B-D16FBF468D5A_zps

Friday night afforded me the "luxury" of making noise a bit later into the night, so I cleaned off the shit pile I call a work bench and went to town:

30DA82B2-2EC3-4526-9B21-2128EA608DC8_zps

7780205A-D01A-4CC9-A5BE-3F4315D10BAC_zps

974207FD-AE69-4513-8EB5-755197D53DAE_zps

It seems to be a recurring theme, but by the time I got to this point, my cordless drill ran out of juice... also I had run out of 1x2 since I needed box in the TV mount and didn't take that into consideration when buying it... and it was 10pm so I needed to give my wife and neighbors a break from the hammer drill.

Saturday afternoon, I got back to it after running errands with my wife.  Here's the finished frame with the TV boxed in and horizontal support for me to hang those cheap plastic parts bin:

EBF28A43-BF51-4518-9373-0903D3101E06_zps

Peg board is a motherfucker to cut by yourself; that shit was flopping everywhere but where I needed it to.  After measuring three times, going to lunch, coming back to measure a couple more times, I cut the hole for the TV and mounted the rest of the peg board over my bench:

074CB20D-6826-4A8E-8393-7466FF2B5BA4_zps

The cheap plastic parts bins and TV mounted (wire finally all hidden away):

15028EB7-B010-4873-A96B-CB90DBCC9A76_zps

Hung my drill battery charger for the first time and a big ass power strip:

D5C6F727-3884-4FCE-BFC4-B4BB9927971B_zps

953B38F2-25E2-4597-A6D3-F94ED9CEF736_zps

Started hanging some tools:

CBB249DA-B7A3-453C-9632-4EFC2AB9083E_zps

C1E12204-5222-47A4-BEC3-2A7348528F20_zps

The project as it sat last night; I am waiting on an Amazon order to come in with some more pegs and baskets:

4DE37CC4-3567-4AAD-A279-85490F54EE4C_zps

Oh, and look what conveniently fits in the peg board!

EE0987F4-E378-418D-8509-354B2FA152BF_zps

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but this is already a great improvement in my work space.  So much so, even my wife noticed how much cleaner the whole area is now.  I didn't think it would be such a vast improvement, but it is!  

Next up is making a workstation for the "new" table saw (hiding in the back in the picture), and a bench extension to store it under.

DA94853F-D6A8-4F9A-85AA-7E17007AC648_zps

• Moderators

Organization is my cup of tea, so I dig it. You could always hit it with some paint someday if you wanted to brighten it up.

One day... that project keeps getting pushed back with interior painting projects.  Although, for the first time ever, Linda seemed to be on board with getting stuff done in the garage.  We played darts Saturday night after I wrapped up cleaning and she said it just felt nicer out there with some of the white covered up and [almost] everything cleaned up and in it's place.

• Moderators

I dig it, man.  Looks really good!

Thank you, sir!  I face a problem now that I haven't faced in a long time - what do I do with all the space?!  I've never really sat down and methodically organized my tools and such; it just ends up where it ends up.  

Thank you, sir!  I face a problem now that I haven't faced in a long time - what do I do with all the space?!  I've never really sat down and methodically organized my tools and such; it just ends up where it ends up.  

No need organizing the tools.  You should be using them on the cars! ;)   Then organize as you finish using each one! :2thumb:

• Moderators

Looking great chris! where's the new part storage at =D

Behind the 95.  It's actually one of the last two messes left in the garage - new parts/reusable parts, and whatever shit is under my engine stands that has to go to the scrap yard.

• Moderators

All this organization goin on and still no update on the car...........

........makes me sad......

Nothin yet. Had to clean up to get to it lol.

• Moderators

More house stuff this weekend instead of the car since I promised this project would be done by the time the baby shower rolled around.  However, I never thought this would take two weekends' worth of time.  My newest worst best idea - "three-piece" crown moulding in our dining room.  I got this crazy idea to use the same baseboard we already have on the wall behind and the ceiling above the crown, with the crown between them:

5FBE36BD-3129-400B-A41B-DD29F9B0A791_zps

Easy right?  Base on wall, 45° beveled edges; base on ceiling, 45° mitered corners; crown with godknowswhat°...

The pieces on the wall went up pretty easily.  I was surprised how square the corners really were.

74A84AFE-42B6-45F6-9C72-A750082928E9_zps

First piece on the ceiling went up without a hitch too:

2A940ED1-8CB8-411A-8C79-E0A26F7778FB_zps

And the second piece:

8B92E693-4037-4385-99A9-0562F83ACEEE_zps

36EEECE4-FC54-4A5C-94E3-7E73D7502E8F_zps

That piece ended up being a real motherfucker in the end.  My brother-in-law was helping me, err "supervising."  Supervising really means drinking a shit ton of Miller Lite and holding stuff when I ask.  Usually this works out pretty good.  This time, not so much as his idea of "tight in the corner" and "the right length" are not quite the same as mine.  So I nailed that piece to the ceiling, and when I got to the end he was holding, realized it was about 1/8" too long.  Well 1/8" isn't a huge deal until you're trying to make trim match up.  I ended up having to butcher the moulding just to get it to fit right.  Good thing the crown covered all my creative carpentry techniques.

That was all weekend before last.  This past Saturday afternoon, I got my wife to help me hold the trim so I could finish the last piece of baseboard on the ceiling.  Nothing makes you feel more guilty than having your 6 month pregnant wife climb up and down a ladder 2895744983572 times while you get creative trying to make the last piece fit.  Turns out that third piece of trim was bowed pretty good, as was the fourth wall to which I was attaching the last piece.  I could get one miter to fit, but not both.  Time to go to lunch and figure it out... end result was cutting 1/4" off the trim with the table saw.  Boom!  It worked.  It left a good gap at the miter, but it worked.  Four hours to put up one piece of trim, I shit you not (a lot of it was waiting for help or cooling off my frustration).  Now to figure out the crown.

I bought a Kreg crown pro jig.  Pretty nifty tool!  It holds the crown at the spring angle, or the angle the crown sits on the wall, so all you have to do is cut the miter instead of making compound cuts.  Simple, right?  Nope.  The base on the wall and ceiling, and how I wanted the crown to fit against them changed the spring angle and I had no idea how to measure that.  So I spent two hours or so cutting up pieces of crowing using various spring angles, and compound miter cuts until I found the right combination.  I cut my piece of crown, installed it, felt pretty good about myself, sent pics to folks, and went to bed.

067A0A6C-572B-40A0-86EC-59FCEAD53C8D_zps

Then Sunday morning, I was admiring my handiwork and realized I cut the wrong bevel on one side.  What.  The.  Fuck?  Fortunately, I could use that piece on another wall after I cut the right bevel and shortened it up a tad.  Crisis averted.  After about 6 hours of measuring, cutting, measuring, cussing, measuring, cutting, and installing, I finished the moulding.  It's far from perfect, but caulk and paint hide a multitude of sins and my wife is happy.  I'll spend the rest of this week caulking seams and painting so that it's done for her baby shower this Saturday.  The rest of the house should be much easier now that I kinda know what I am doing and will only be doing one-piece crown.

1B35E65E-1FD8-4D50-A087-14F5884C7744_zps

18212C6A-5B5D-4992-8DBF-33BF384D0227_zps

1F3C039B-5566-4825-8621-243E483DCDE6_zps

Back to 50 Shades of Red next week!  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

turned out pretty darn nice looking.  cool idea to give it more eye appeal.

I eventually plan to do some sort of paneling on the walls, so I wanted a bit heavier crown to go with it.  I knew I did not want to go traditional three-piece or four-piece since it looks a lot more Craftsman; I'm trying to do some more modern versions of older ideas.  I saw this idea on YouTube one day and kinda fell in love.  It's cheap and way easier than the traditional three- or four-piece.

10 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

Thanks!  Thought you were coming to help?!

i was waiting at the airport for almost 48 hours, so i just hopped back on the plane and came home.  

• Moderators
Just now, Blackmage said:

i was waiting at the airport for almost 48 hours, so i just hopped back on the plane and came home.  

My ass...

Super nice work!  I have a very similar crown moulding in the tray ceiling in my dining room and am very glad I didn't have to do it.  I'm still dreading the day she decides she wants it throughout the rest of our house.

Side note, what is the color called on the walls of your dining room?  I like it.  We're looking to switch up colors in our house, literally the entire place is flat beige.

Edited by Tabres

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Tabres said:

Super nice work!  I have a very similar crown moulding in the tray ceiling in my dining room and am very glad I didn't have to do it.  I'm still dreading the day she decides she wants it throughout the rest of our house.

Side note, what is the color called on the walls of your dining room?  I like it.  We're looking to switch up colors in our house, literally the entire place is flat beige.

I was about to tag you in this as I was cleaning up my thread and noticed you said I needed some nice crown in the dining room.  This is the only room getting the fake three-piece treatment; I'm keeping the rest of the house simple.

It's Sherwin-Williams paint... color is either Dorian Gray or Colonnade Gray, whichever is darker... Dorian I am pretty sure.  The foyer is the other color.