F8L GT

New intake

In my boredom like always, I find something to mess with. I never liked fenderwell intakes because you can't keep an eye on the filter. While doing my cam swap I saw the nice big opening behind the radiator where my abs pump use to be. So I thought "i wonder how a filter would do down there". In direct air flow while driving. So I got to work and made up an intake. Now it may or may not do anything. Who knows. I guys I will monitor ait's abs see how it does. The plan is to put a ceramic coating on the aluminum tubing.

P1020517_zps7283e7fa.jpg

IMG_20130503_105050_zps0bc01005.jpg

I admire your ingenuity!

Just out of curiosity, why do you expect this to be an more efficient IAT-wise than just having a pipe with the filter exposed in the stock location? I couldn't see how this is more advantageous, but I am not as knowledgeable as you are. Would you get cooler air because the fan may blow air towards this filter location? I was never a fan of the fender mounted setups either. Thanks :)

Really just wanted to be different. But it is directly behind the radiator which gets constant air flow so I figured it might be better than just air sitting in the corner of an engine bay

Really just wanted to be different. But it is directly behind the radiator which gets constant air flow so I figured it might be better than just air sitting in the corner of an engine bay

I'm definitely interested in your results! Cool man.

that filter is going to get dirty really quick. it may be getting more air but you're getting dirty air that's passing through the condenser/radiator. the fenderwell area is good because its getting clean air sucked through the fender cavity.

lol guys, its not a daily driver. i put 1000 miles on the car in the past 3 years. i dont think its going to get that dirty. And the air is no hotter there than my JLT RAI was.

lol guys, its not a daily driver. i put 1000 miles on the car in the past 3 years. i dont think its going to get that dirty. And the air is no hotter there than my JLT RAI was.

you'll be surprised. the air behind the radiator is generally the hottest and most dirty. since its not a dd it won't get dirty as quick but it's still going to prematurely clog the filter.

and if this doesnt work out i switch back. no harm done. not like a labeled the thread, cai to end all cai's

no worries bud, it's good to try different setups, just giving you some insight.

I can't imagine you benefitting from this setup in any way. But it looks interesting non of the less.

Let us know how it works out for you. :)

like the mach intake..I wish that thing worked better..

I know the mach1 intake or shaker or what ever it is called, is connected to the airbox and blah blah ...but does it actually do anything?

I know the mach1 intake or shaker or what ever it is called, is connected to the airbox and blah blah ...but does it actually do anything?

Not really, with the front end design, most air goes right over the scoop

I could see where this would work, but 2 things, like I said on FB. 1. Isn't the temps from the engine going to affect it, and 2. I want to build a ram air tube from the fog lights to the filter.

Sent from my secretary!!!

The more I looked at the intake the more I didn't like it and its puny little tube. I got some parts coming to make another intake. Not sure if I'm going to run a rai style or run it into the fender

Gains are the same either way, I have ran both. I have little to no money tied up into this one. Heat issues in a 4.6 aren't as bad as they are in a 5.0

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Tapatalk 2

Not really, with the front end design, most air goes right over the scoop

The only way to fix that is to use a half inch intake spacer. It lifts the scoop up enough to actually collect air and it gives you a nice increase in power and torque.

Gains are the same either way, I have ran both. I have little to no money tied up into this one. Heat issues in a 4.6 aren't as bad as they are in a 5.0

wasn't aware the 5.0 had temp issues. I have a hard time believing that if it was nice and cool out that it would not show even a small gain on the dyno.

New intake almost finished

2013-06-29_19-33-08_627_zps5e2b345f.jpg

That looks better than the last one. My JLT came with a plastic shield to deflect??? the hot engine air. I can get a better pic if you want to try something similar.

IMG_3045-1.jpg

wasn't aware the 5.0 had temp issues. I have a hard time believing that if it was nice and cool out that it would not show even a small gain on the dyno.

Sorry, didn't exactly mean to say issues. Just meant that under hood temps aren't as hot in the 4.6 because the headers are more under the engine compartment than in it.

That looks better than the last one. My JLT came with a plastic shield to deflect??? the hot engine air. I can get a better pic if you want to try something similar.

IMG_3045-1.jpg

When I'm finally done it will also have a heat shield