ttocs

94 gt with ride-tech air-ride install

scott to give ya an idea the last truck i built i had 3 viar compressors and a 12 gallon tank and i could get up $ down about 13 times then it was outta air, lol! but i was more of a hopper than just to adjust the ride height. for what you wanna do one compressor is fine for a 3 gallon tank.

got the hole for the overhead cut into the headliner and then got the headliner covered. The covering part was made difficult just because I had a trim shop sew in a 1" green stripe into the fake-sued material to match the shift/brake boots, as well as the custom wrapped steering wheel on its way. Getting the stripe straight was a pia but it looks killer now that its done. Here is the consol mached up. Gonna try to put a coat of paint on it today/tonight and get the wiring ran for the overhead and get that part finished up. In the end the tan/textured part I am just going to paint black but the rest of the overhead(the display piece above) will be painted gloss black with a green stripe painted on it like my center dash pieces.

Can't load pics right now for some reason check them out here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395420/1994-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-2d/page-8#15880479

been werkin on the display, and the devil is in the details.

Started with this

post-61-13881836204823_thumb.jpg

The edge around the ride-tech display was done but you notice there is something missing infront of the temp/compass display. The original piece of plastic it went through was green to match the dash. I have switched the dash lighting to blue some time ago and the ride-tech display is blue as well, so green would not do... I also wanted it a little larger so I can put an led or two in there to show if I am reading the amp or the bottle temp, so I enlarged the hole a little and then cut a piece of plexi that fit in nice/n/tight.

post-61-13881836203991_thumb.jpg

Now in the pic above the plexi is covered with tape as well as the surrounding area I do not want epoxy on. I used an epoxy called plastic-weld from autozone to fill the area in between. the tape and then the sanding began.... After sanding the high spots, filling the low, sanding some more, filling again, primer-sand-primer-sand sand sand sand, paint, tint and clear you end up with this.

post-61-13881836206176_thumb.jpg

Still need to wetsand/polish the clear which will take that edge off around the display that the paint left and hopefully leave a seemless look between the black and the display.

my only complaint is that the flat look of the ride-tech display looks strange aginst the gloss. I think it will look more natural when I put it aginst the textured black of the base but if not I am not sure what I will do. Thought about making a piece of tinted plexi to go over the center section.

last night I made a mounting plate for the display to mount too. It slides into place and then is held in place by the computer brackets above it for the compass/temp. I can show pics if someone wants but its nothing special. Now this is how it will look completed and mounted securly in place. The controls will be super easy to adjust, hopefully the led display will be easy to see too. Got the garage cooling off right now so I can finish a little bit of wiring and then mount the headliner, then the consol to see how it will all look. I still need to paint the green stripe down this, can't wait to see it when its all done but I still have plans for the back half.

post-61-13881836230558_thumb.jpg

got it all installed just now. First got all the wiring tucked away and held in place using strips cut out of the sound damping material I use(second skin). I ran the wiring through the body holes and between panels where I could sot hat it would not get in the way of the headliner so I put split loom tubing around the body holes to keep the sharp edges from cutting wires later on.

After that I used a few dabs of silicon on top of the headliner in the same places the factory glue was put and then pressed it into place. Once it was up the consol snapped right into place no problem and fit the lines of the headliner to look like it could have belonged there. I have not finished the back of teh consol because I am not finished with it yet, I have plans for that space.

post-61-1388183624539_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881836240602_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881836242507_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881836243585_thumb.jpg

had to finish my power-side display to split power out to the air-ride as well as for the stereo. Still some more Wiring to do as you can see on the lower right but I think you get the idea of what it looks like. I etched the plexi with an 1/8" line around the componants there so that when I edge-lite them they will light up. There is a cover board that goes over this that has an access window through it that I can use to change fuses if needed.

post-61-13881836308974_thumb.jpg

The dual volt-meters will show each of the batteries voltage as long as the isolator relay isn't activated.

Finally got some energy late tonight and got some work done. Finished wiring the fuse dist blocks so that they will supply power to the amps, audio accesories and the air-ride. The volt meters are showing the individual batteries voltage so that means the isolating relay is not activated. The lights on the dist block come on blue when the fuse is good and turn red when it blows for easy/instant identfication.

After that was sorted out I realized I could finally power up the system and see what the display looked like. The pics don't catch it at all as with the flash off it is a big blur and with it on it bleeds through the led but from the drivers seat it will make for easy viewing while being out of the way. Looks killer in the end, I am happy with it and now its time to get under the car.... Almost there!

post-61-13881836333158_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881836332146_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881836334521_thumb.jpg

Just got off the phone with the shop to order the remaining parts(shocks/struts/bags). I like to try and keep the same brand of products when I can just to ensure they will all work together so I asked him about ride-tech branded shocks. He said he has used them alot, had very good luck with them and they are about as good as they get. Perfect! I wanted something adjustable but wondered how much I would really use it if I had to get out and under each corner to do it. So rather then cheap out now(this deep into it why not?) I decided to go with their select-series shocks.

http://www.ridetech.com/info/2009/11/new-select-series-shocks/

These shocks can be stiffened up with the push of a button for a more firm ride = easy trackdays...

Your build is so crazy but I honestly have no idea what's going on nor what I'm looking at. I read your posts and since I don't have much knowledge regarding that subject I always just scratch my head.

I know it's going to be badass since you're the guru!

I can't even begin to describe how jealous I am of this project, I would kill to be in the thick of doing the same thing to mine... :hail:

shit man if I am makin you jelous I must be doing something right. I take that as a compliment of the highest regard, thank you.

Its really a pleasure to watch something like this being carried out and well thought through like this, Air-rides are not my cup of tea to be honest, but seeing who you are taking your time with it and doing a good job on it too.

Must be your Danish side, eh? :bounce: