Twista

Timing

What timing have you guys been lucky at and still using 87 octane? I know every car is different, but just wanna know everyone else luck.

Im @ 14* and i've used 87 for 1.5 years now... just started using 93* because my plugs was showing slight detonation. :numbness:

Might bump it back down to 10/12 if i can run the cheaper gas with no problem.

Definitely with everyone else on this. If you aren't running higher octane, no use to bump up timing. If you're on a stock motor with 93octane, right around 14* seems to be the money spot.

This thread is full of pathetically incorrect information. There is absolutely NO BENEFIT to running 93 octane fuel in an otherwise stock 302. Regardless of whether or not you have increased your base timing. All you are doing, literally, is wasting money.

I can expand on this further when I get home tonight, but 93 is a waste in a 302 without high compression.

This thread is full of pathetically incorrect information. There is absolutely NO BENEFIT to running 93 octane fuel in an otherwise stock 302. Regardless of whether or not you have increased your base timing. All you are doing, literally, is wasting money.

I can expand on this further when I get home tonight, but 93 is a waste in a 302 without high compression.

Smh...

Sent from my EVO 3D using tapatalk

Waiting for your reply. :torn:

Lets make a comparison here.

The below posted image is a screen shot of the stock T4M0 "Sea Level Base" timing map (top) compared to MY "Sea Level Base" timing map. It is the very same that runs in my 11.25:1 compression 347 stroker. Lets not forget that the stock 302's run around 9:1CR

timingcomparison.jpg

Now, lets compare... Look at the values seen from 2500rpm and up at WOT (90+ load). As you can clearly see, the values in MY map are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than those seen in the stock map. I run 93 octane because I need to! It would be a complete waste in a car with significantly lower compression, AND less timing (even when advancing the base by 4 degrees).

The main problem that MOST SN-95 owners have when it comes to advancing timing is that MOST of you are running alot leaner than you think. When my Cobra went to the dyno with a completely stock engine, the dyno operator was actually afraid to run my car because of how lean it was running.

My mods at the time of the dyno run:

14* base timing, CAI, TB (70mm), UDP's, Full exhaust (EL Shorties, O/R X-pipe, Mac Catback)

Here's the plot.

IMG-1.jpg

See a problem? Was my car resisting detonation because of the 93 octane I was running? Yep... Was it still very lean? Yep... Was I covering up a REAL problem by adding a higher octane fuel? YEP

Would I make more power if i was running a lower octane fuel and ran richer... You bet your ass!

Bottom line, 14* base timing does not require 93 octane fuel. If you car is getting detonation, or pinging... you are probably lean!