Schiffy

Ball joints question

i work at a ford dealer and i can tell you i dont know the last time i saw ford put a grease fitting in a car. Ford calls it lube for life. as long as the boot is not torn your good. Most mustang ball joints(05-09 aside) are usually good for 100k+ honestly most ball joints in trucks and explorers are not bad. people just dont know how to check them properly.

i work at a ford dealer and i can tell you i dont know the last time i saw ford put a grease fitting in a car. Ford calls it lube for life. as long as the boot is not torn your good. Most mustang ball joints(05-09 aside) are usually good for 100k+ honestly most ball joints in trucks and explorers are not bad. people just dont know how to check them properly.

I am going to install it no grease fitting and let her ride! lol I am kinda disappointed that the new LCA didn't come with new nuts and pin for the Ball joints. I never like reusing an old nut unless I have too. I know it's no harm but still.

Most mustang ball joints(05-09 aside) are usually good for 100k+

Most people don't know that fact. I'm going to expand on this a bit.

The 05-09 v6 and GT ball joints are a failed design. its all over the net if anyone wants to do some research on it, then look up the TSBs. They were known to fail even after 20k miles. The fix is to upgrade to the 07-09 GT500 front lower control arms. Ford even packaged them in a kit - part number is M-3075-E and it can be purchased for 275 to 500$ depending on where you go.

The reason I know all this is because the ball joints went bad on my previously owned 05 v6 (I still maintain it). I replaced them with OEM replacement control arms from Rock Auto - dorman I believe. 27k miles later, the drivers side is shot. now it needs front tires as well. Kit was just ordered and its on the way.

We should create some how - to on how to check if ball joints are good. the correct way is to measure it. off the top of my head - and double check this - its to use a dial indicator and pry bar / lever. The up / down play should be less than .05.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing - this is just another reason why when parts fail - UPGRADE!

My stock 1994 control arms went over 100,000 miles before the ball joint started showing play. and that was only on one side. I would assume with the updated 03/04 cobra control arms, with the better bushings and the better ball joint, that it would hold up just as long if not longer.

My mustang has a little over 98k miles so I think the 03/04 LCAs are in my future.

I am going to install it no grease fitting and let her ride! lol I am kinda disappointed that the new LCA didn't come with new nuts and pin for the Ball joints. I never like reusing an old nut unless I have too. I know it's no harm but still.

lol Ford never gives you hardware. i hate when im replacing an old rusty part with a new one and i have to reuse the old rusty nut. unless you ask for the nuts/bolts you dont get them.