ttocs

The momstangs rebuild

I had a lot of metal grinding in there as well both steel and aluminum.  Was just admiring how nicely the driveway sparkles now after the 2nd round of blowing it out.  This time I used the compressor and got into the frame rails and got all the crap out of there.   I got a rust encapsulating paint from eastwood that is in a can but the nozzle is on the end of a 2 ft long plastic tube so I can stick in the frame rails as far as it goes and then pull it out while spraying.  Letting all the dust settle now but I think one more round and I will start to hang the plastic and start masking everything else off. 

Anyone have an opinion on pinstripe colors?  Its going to be the original deep forest green and the carbon fiber areas will be knocked down with a black candy.  When I layed out the lines with the neon green tape when I stood back I kinda liked it and thought it might be a nice accent.  I am also stripping down some cobra brakes and thought about maybe them neon as well but I am not sure I want that big of an area neon.

The neon green striping is intriguing, I'm trying to picture it in my head and just can't decide. I'd have to see it mocked up. Maybe before you paint, grab a flat piece of sheet metal and spray it DFG, then you can lay the piece on the carbon hood then try out different pin stripe colors along the edge of the panel.

This pic it came out more yellow then green.  I am thinking more of a lime green but brighter then the DFG.

2629181406955684-2e80de6b60.jpg

7055471406955659-776c50c199.jpg

Its also a lot thicker then I want it to be.  I am talkin a THIN line with maybe a black line below it.

Lookin good.  I think the lime green pinstripe will look good against the DFG.  I'd try to make the shade of green have more blue hues in it than yellow, since the DFG has a bit of a blue tint.  A blue pinstripe would also look good, a bright blue like Grabber/Azure blue, but I like green better.  I guess it depends on what tickles your fancy.  Would be easy to check out with some blue masking tape.

Let us know how the Eastwood rust encapsulating paint works out.  You are talking about the yellowish stuff right?  I think they actually called it their internal frame coating.  If so I bought some cans of that a while ago for my car.  Haven't gotten around to using it yet though.  It would be great if I could use a wand with my paint gun though, so then I could spray epoxy inside the rails which I would prefer over the cans.

And in reference to post #273......too much detail stuff and not enough progress?  Nah not at all.  Detail stuff is where it's at.  Heck I look at pics I post and sometimes I believe if I didn't point out what I did it'd be like looking at a Where's Waldo picture trying to see what I even did.  If people don't like it or are bored, the back button is a click away.  And also, if you don't have your health, none of this car stuff really matters much.  So like you said.  F'em.

its amazing how much crap gets stuck in your frame rails.  Last night I got the entire garage floor wet and then blew everything down with the air compressor and the wand.  Got up under the car and then made my way into the rails and it was amazing to see how much crap would fly out of the other end and how long it kept doing it.  I am sure that after almost 10 mins alone on getting the crap out from inside the hood that there is still some left.  All the cutting put a lot of dust into the void in the middle.  After squeegeeing the the floor hopefully there is only some small areas left if anything.

Not sure on the paint color for inside the rails.  Never used it but after finding as much rust as I did under mounting brackets and other areas I do not want to ignore it.  Hopefully today I can try it out for stage 1 of painting.  After that I will do por15 inside the fenders and then finally make my way under the hood and do the cowl/hood at the same time.

The blue pinstripe is an interesting idea.  Kind of makes me wonder if something that maybe had a slight color shift to it would not be cool.  I am sure a mystic stripe would end up costing a pretty penny but it would be different and kinda cool.....

Damn spent another 40 mins today blowing sand/rocks out of the rails.  The frame paint I am using is actually flat black and the tube makes it really easy to get it into almost anywhere.

7980861407011214-82e4a91ec4.jpg

Also ready to take the hood off now.  I drilled two holes in the hinges so that I could use the nails to help get the hood 90% straight before I tighten the bolts.

2890971407011190-67586bc6d2.jpg

I wanted to wait 24 hrs for the aprons to cure before I started masking them off to do the engine bay.  The por15 glosscoat came our really nice and seems more durable then a regular paint so far with not even 24 hrs on it.

1179051407200568-fc1eaece86.jpg

I did the brake booster, the hood latch(after cleaning all the rust off with cider vinegar I was amazed how nice it looked for paint) and the voltage regulator mount.

8390671407200644-e8032c9041.jpg

I replaced the master valve since it was out and upgraded it to a cobra version since I will be doing the brakes as well.

2006981407200675-7d35593c3e.jpg

And finally tonight I took the time to primer the bumper cover.  Last time we saw it I had it media blasted to get through the super thick paint someone put on it prior which left a texture on it, and then smoothed the shinoda chin in.  Its nice to see it(and everything else) becoming one color now. 

8168021407200595-d069de5331.jpg

Did I mention I am going with black primer rather then the usual light grey to make the DFG just that much darker?

1100491407200618-22f77e2297.jpg

Tomorrow I start masking off the engine bay for primer/paint.

typo not sure how the "not" got in there.  It is being polished and will be beautiful.

Ohhh ok lol, I was like wait, why?!?! lol

I'm sure it will be. I wanted to put my procharger head unit on the mantle when I got it back lol.

who doesn't love the fedex guy?  Today he was not greeted by my barking dog instead it was me drooling.  "HI yeasuresignewhatever GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME (the sound of boxes tearing) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHINEY!!!!!"

9174501407339706-c790a62d7a.jpg

if

Hell yeah, the paint and blower look great.  Exciting stuff.  I really like the look of the front bumper cover.  It is very unique and aggressive.  It's great to see a GT bumper cover without the freakin license plate indention too.  I'm glad to see the Eastwood stuff with the wand worked good.  I was concerned about the performance of the wand.

Hell yeah, the paint and blower look great.  Exciting stuff.  I really like the look of the front bumper cover.  It is very unique and aggressive.  It's great to see a GT bumper cover without the freakin license plate indention too.  I'm glad to see the Eastwood stuff with the wand worked good.  I was concerned about the performance of the wand.

Spent the last two days sanding the bumper cover, today specifically on the body line that goes right across that license plate section.  I have to say that who ever designed that bumper did a hell of a job.  I don't think there is any section that doesn't go into some kind of compound curve or end with a simple, but difficult body line.  Glad I sent it off for media blasting with as thick as that paint was it would have taken a week to get everything off of it.  As nice as it was to see it all one color now to see it all smooth is even better.  Needs another topcoat of primer and its ready for wetsanding and paint.  Its supposed to rain the next few days and with the weather as nice as it is I am considering just doing it out in the rain.  Unfortunately with all the coal fired power around here we bad with acid rain though so I am not sure that's a good idea......

7534111407702408-2c90f73d39.jpg

3213691407702384-b1a5b5e0a0.jpg

Its nice to see the bumper now finally looking like one piece and happy to say its exactly how I pictured it.  Can't wait to see it all painted and done. 

3945691407702359-f1f4d84d16.jpg

Needs a couple of small areas addressed and then some wetsanding/block sanding to really smooth it out and then it will be ready for color.  Just nice to see it all the same color now and yes I went with black primer to make the DFG just a tad darker then it already is.  I have also spent some time smoothing in the aerocatches.  The little bit of difference between the hoods top and the top of the latch due to the flat latch on a curved hood bugged me so I am fixing that.  Its not ready for pics yet but now when I am done the small amount of plastic that goes around the latch will disappear.

8341531406220669-e2047c7745.jpg

Not gonna lie this hurt a bit today, there is just something not natural about sanding down your new carbon fiber hood even if you have cut holes in it already.  I needed to prep this for paint as I would like to do it at the same time as the bumper and needed to do something while the primer on the engine bay dries.

10551114_694322147315935_745790525875296

while I loved the polishing job that was done I was not all that happy with the side under the pulley. Most of it is covered by the tensioner pulley mount but I have just been spending too much time/$$$ to leave an area, no matter how small, that would be on the top/front of the motor. The sanded it all down but didn't polish it so I finished polishing it and then painted the recessed areas with gloss black. I wish I had got a before pic because it looks so much better.

1552701407864989-a398e136ff.jpg

flush - (flubreve.gifsh) adv. So as to be even, in one plane, or aligned with a margin.
Having surfaces in the same plane; even

3725581407865020-9af4e11b67.jpg

Thanks man its been fun challenging myself, learning new things and watching it go along.  Today was a big day for me for sure!

How do I insert vids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmHFfi4pB4

When I was done I have to admit when I was done today I was thinking "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOHOHHHHHHHHHH!"  Its so nice to see it in color and I have to say I just LOVE fresh DFG.

10251980_697683803646436_659666464794605

even better on a car cleared!

4490581408315116-06dd3523e5.jpg

The vid I had to laugh about as I was shaking/mixing the paint it occurred to me that if my neighbors happen to look in that it was going to look pretty strange.   I had the gopros out to record the paint job so I could not resist.

Thanks its not perfect as there is some orange peel and a couple small spots I noticed now after but no runs and I put enough clear on to polish the peel out.  Not sure what it would take to have a perfect DIY paint job I already accepted the fact there will  probably be a couple of spots I will not be completely happy with.  The camera didn't catch it but the black primer did take just a shade darker the way I hoped.  Until you have direct light on it, it looks black.  Can't wait to match it up with the carbon fiber accents after I make them just a shade darker. 

holy hell am I tired today.  It was the strangest yoga routine I have ever done trying to lean over the edges and not touch them to get all the corners and I didn't realize how much it took out of me.  But I still could not wait to open the garage and see it in natural light.  The real light revealed a little more orange peel then I saw last night but again nothing that cant be buffed out.

1299901408393837-80b54e37c2.jpg

2331291408393781-b22509e40a.jpg

There have been a lot of things along this build that I needed to learn to do it and was not sure if I could pull it off.  Paint was the final question I had but now after seeing this I know I can do it.

You have no idea how bad I want to shoot them....  I had considered doing them today while the bay cured as I am dying to see them finished as well.  After remembering that I still needed to pick up the black candy and mystic paint to do both of those pieces I was a little disappointed to have to wait.  I was finally motivated this evening to spend some time on it so I wet sanded the side I thought was the worst of the two for peel up to 3000 grit and now I am really motivated to see how much it improves the side I thought was better and polish them both out.  I am hoping the engine bay was the worst to get it all straight/level and that the rest of the car comes out as good as this.