ttocs

The momstangs rebuild

thanks logan it was great to get out and its been even better to be feeling a little better then normal(knock on wood) lately.  I have only changed one thing and if this ends up being it, its pretty crazy..........

So I have not come out and said it out right before, but my car will be cooler then yours.

9302101409171703-59d4c612dc.jpg

Literally....  not sure if its the X-pipe of the side exhaust as I put them both on at the same time but since then my console has been getting hot enough you could feel it radiating heat 4-5" above the plastic.  So while the tranny was out I wanted to take the time to try and correct this.  This shield came with an adhesive backing but I used the aluminum tape on the sides and finally used rivets with some washers on the edges/center to keep it from becoming a head ache later.

thanks logan it was great to get out and its been even better to be feeling a little better then normal(knock on wood) lately.  I have only changed one thing and if this ends up being it, its pretty crazy..........

So I have not come out and said it out right before, but my car will be cooler then yours.

9302101409171703-59d4c612dc.jpg

Literally....  not sure if its the X-pipe of the side exhaust as I put them both on at the same time but since then my console has been getting hot enough you could feel it radiating heat 4-5" above the plastic.  So while the tranny was out I wanted to take the time to try and correct this.  This shield came with an adhesive backing but I used the aluminum tape on the sides and finally used rivets with some washers on the edges/center to keep it from becoming a head ache later.

These cars need some type of heat barrier under the car as the trans and mufflers produce heat in all the wrong spots. Used lava mat under mine and did the entire car from firewall to r

back of rear seats. Will also insulate the interior, I would think heat will be a none issue.

IIRC I have about 60-75 into the fiberglass/aluminum shields now.  The top two layers that I put on made a huge difference and now with this on the bottom I hope to have no issues.  They are really thin and easy to install.

got sick again and had to take some time off but finally getting moving again.  I took apart my alt in preparation for powder and polished the fan which I think will make for a nice contrast on the gloss black body.

8737991410241352-f3ebbf4ae4.jpg

I also finally got the engine bay harness out the firewall and made a grommet to keep everything outside that I didn't want inside.  Of course I got everything wrapped and was all proud of myself when I realized I needed to run 2 wires in it for the new electric water pump which led from :D  to :huh:  to :wacko:  in a tenth of a second....

4432361410241377-3cbd91c1bb.jpg

Dropped the accessory brackets and the alternator off at the powder coater this week and getting my valve covers ready to go next, everything is going gloss black.  Also got some help, well I should say I helped someone put my motor in since it was my first reinstall he deserves the credit.  Its good to have friends and I owe him one now fer sure. 

10653711_710253349056148_121337974424294

I really can't wait to see the motor all together in there but I am going to be concentrating on the ext paint to try and get it before its too cold to paint in an unheated garage.... 

started stripping the fenders that came off of my parts car and realized why the bumper was such a pia to sand down, there are 3 really nasty coates of paint on all of it!  So glad I sent it out for blasting as after some time on the fenders with my orbital sander and 60 grit I finally decided that chemical stripper was going to be the words of the day for me and pulled out the citristrip.  One coat of that took of the first 2/nastiest coats, amazing how much was on there.

1908416_711846655563484_4576409106797824

filled the dust pan 2 times sweeping it all up.

10599222_711846855563464_450432550297318

ran out of stripper so I had to go get some more.  hopefully a nice thick coat of it over night and I will be down to metal and ready for primer.

took 3 rounds with the stripper but one is clean now and only one small spot left on the other.  There had to be a couple of spots that were mm thick I was amazed to use the scraper like a chisel only to find at least one more layer under it.

10346219_712215392193277_861957649644161

And then picked up some of my parts from powder.   Now it really feels like I am in the rebuilding stage now.  Can't wait to see the gloss black brackets next to the polished pieces.

10635950_712215662193250_883099926870485

Now I just hope I remember how to put the alt back together....

the gold pulley will have to go but with this sucker on top between the polished supercharger and water pump it should look perty imo.  Still need to find a place that can recreate the manf decal that was on top but really happy with how it came out.

5754191411168007-cbd405250a.jpg

good guess but no.  Its taking longer then I thought to finish it up.  I was hoping to have pics today.  Its for a project I started a while back and have shown but was not ready to finish it back then.  One is for each side of the car.

back lights for the badge?

we have a winner!

Now I can't tell you how pissed off I am that I don't have a finished pic to show you.  I literally finished doing the last weld I needed on the first badge and only needed to sand down the bead to make it smooth and it would be done and ready for a pic.  Just as I finished my stomach started to flare up and it all went to hell from there and now again typing at the hospital sucking on an iv. Only made it 4 weeks this time smh. 

So forgive me for having to make due with the pics I have already taken.  You might remember the fender badges I had made a while back.  Here it is where I was trying to see how it would look on my valve covers(I had 5 made). 

thb_4300721403103218-7c87a2f2ee.jpg

What I did was drill 2-3 holes in each letter and the "momstang" block and then welded in the pointed part of a nail so that it stuck off the back of the letters about 1/16".  The nails will go into some small holes I drilled in a piece of plexi and with that and some small dabs of silicon adhesive will hold the badge to the plexi.

Now that plexi will mount to the back of the fender with some studs I will weld into the fender and the badge will set inside of the hole I cut earlier. 

thb_3488461411094096-956f589e1d.jpg

you can see the hole there on the right side of the pic.  I carefully cut that hole out so that there will be a little more then 1/16" between the letters and the fender.  My original plan was to use either just a piece of chrome vinyl or to get a piece of metal chrome plated and mount that behind the plexi.  obviously with this the chrome will shine through the plexi and make the badge fairly easy to see.  After some thought though I am hoping that if I put a piece of the 3m carbon fiber vinyl behind the plexi that it will make a cool look day and night.  I hope that if there is not direct light that it just looks like the badge is floating on a piece of black glass.  Now obviously if there is direct light on it you will see the CF pattern on the vinyl.  So now this is when the leds come into play.

1745211411449084-7e36c199f3.jpg

this piece will be mounted just above the badge plexi so the lights will shine down into the plexi the badge is mounted too.  I could have just put the leds in the same piece of plexi the badge is mounted to but I did a separate piece so that I can sand/rough up the edges of both pieces where they meet so that it will help to diffuse the light more evenly.  I don't want to see 8 individual lights I would rather have a nice even light that goes across it to hopefully light up the high points in the CF pattern and casting shadows into the lower areas of the vinyl. 

no I am still taking the high CBD hemp oil.    Been 3 weeks now and Not 100% sure its helping but I am sure its not hurting.  I have actually been eating lunch from time to time which normally never happened as my stomach usually would not calm down till 2-3 and I just could not eat till then.  Fall is normally a bad time of year for me not sure if its just seasonal allergies or what.  Now what is interesting is that this time I recovered a lot faster.  Normally even while they are feeding me meds and fluids it takes a least 2 days before I stop throwing up every few hours and then I can start to try and eat again and get my system out of reverse and back into drive.  This time once they got me admitted and got the pain under control I stopped throwing up just a few hours later.  I was able to start eating today and I think I will be able to go home tomorrow morning.  If that's the case then this stay was half the time of most of my visits in fact I have never got out in 2 days feeling better.  Only down side is that it makes me sleepy as hell but if that is the worst side effect then it will become a regular thing for me.

Can't stay awake long enough to get anything done.  Still catching up on my sleep but I am lucky if I am up for a few hours.  Managed to get this mocked up though to see how it looks.  Nothing is mounted and all the spacing would be corrected when it was.  I was surprised how well the CF showed through and not happy with how the fake stuff looked so I ordered a sheet of real CF to put behind it.

DSC01780.jpg

Actually carbon fiber will let light thru very easily. Even after a couple layers of its mat have been layered and the resin has set it's still translucent. This is why most carbon finer has to be painted on the back side.

I use to do some custom pieces like that years ago for people cause they wanted that look.

Hm, didn't know that! I guess I'm so used to seeing it painted on the back it never occurred to me that it was translucent. :2thumb:

the_more_you_know_banner.jpg

That isn't carbon fiber yet and it isn't shining through just reflecting off of it.  The lights are mounted on top and shining down and I am just holding the faux-carbon fiber vinyl behind it for the pic. 

I have used poster board to make forms that I just glassed into the shape and I was amazed that after the 2nd coat on the back it became just as translucent as the glass fibers/resin normally are. 

This isn't something for while I am driving, more of an evening parking lot show thing.

There is a guy in my club that this spring replaces his parking lights with blue/amper switch back lights so they are blue normally and go to orange for the signal.  I thought he would get a ticket as well but he has not.

I could still add some orange leds and that's an interesting idea to add some function to it.

work was delayed when I put my drivers side fender back on and realized it was f'ed up.  Not sure what happened but the bottom was a 1/4" out of alignment with the door and after trying to jump/bend it back into place it just was not happening.  I ordered a new fender and it fit about as well as a Taiwanese made ford reproduction part would fit.  So now after cutting the bottom and the fender badge hole I am waiting on a warm day to do some welding where I can open the garage door.  Hopefully I can do that this weekend but until then I have had an idea for a project that I wanted to do.  Still in the early stages now and waiting for some parts to arrive to complete it so I will leave the pics to see if anyone can see where this is going.

3525051416431765-d21577d182.jpg

8470971416431740-42b5a532ed.jpg

That is the bumper and the grill area specifically I am working with.

4434501416602755-449e425c6f.jpg

If you remember my hood, I masked it off so that after paint the center section will remain raw CF.  I didn't like how it ended at the hood so I am going to skin the insert I made with CF and then mount it to the grill.  This will be painted with a black candy to take some of the sheen out of the cf so in low light it will probably look black.

2812911406838403-94b2e48a2e.jpg

I have also thinking for some time that the way the center section of the roof is below the pillars would make it easy to put cf on the roof and look good so I got a piece and enough resin to do that and a couple other small things. 

yea I pretty much given up now, call foose if ya know him....  December was a crappy month for my stomach as I was hospitalized 2 times so its been over a month since I touched it now.  I have been playing with some carbon fiber and considering trying to make my own intake pipe to go between the vortech and the cobra intake but I have been too tired/sick to do anything actually on the car.