Schiffy

Idle issues

So since I did the long tubes, I've noticed an idle issue. I don't know that it's specifically the long tubes fault as much as it is coincidence. Anyways, randomly, cold, hot, whatever the car will idle around 1200-1800 then just drop to about 500 then balance out about 900ish. Any idea what could cause it? Where should i start troubleshooting?

I would check all emissions connections and make sure they are nice and tight. If that all checks out I would look at your tune. Call your tuner and see if they can tweak it to even out the idle.

Hmmmm... EGR was deleted, I guess I can check the seal on the EGR block plate.

Hmmmm... EGR was deleted, I guess I can check the seal on the EGR block plate.

More than likley it sounds like a sticking IAC. You can replace for about $100.00 or take it out and clean it. If you have some miles on the motor, might be best to just replace. Had same issue on my Mach1 last year after adding some stuff to it. My guess is adding air flow/mixture related items to to motor causes the IAC to adjust to a new operating point for idle control. A place were it hasent been before for allot of time. It just gets sticky there.

More than likley it sounds like a sticking IAC. You can replace for about $100.00 or take it out and clean it. If you have some miles on the motor, might be best to just replace. Had same issue on my Mach1 last year after adding some stuff to it. My guess is adding air flow/mixture related items to to motor causes the IAC to adjust to a new operating point for idle control. A place were it hasent been before for allot of time. It just gets sticky there.

I was thinking IAC, but i figured I'd ask the experts first. I'll take it off this weekend and clean it, with a blown out tire today, I can't afford a new IAC this pay period. Thanks for the breakdown [MENTION=637]Ihaterice[/MENTION] it definitely made a lot of sense the way you described it.

You can also block off your iac and tune idle with a screw.. This will also fix the 4.6 slow down rev issue

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking IAC, but i figured I'd ask the experts first. I'll take it off this weekend and clean it, with a blown out tire today, I can't afford a new IAC this pay period. Thanks for the breakdown @Ihaterice it definitely made a lot of sense the way you described it.

You bet! When I took mine off it was obvious that it was messed up. The plunger had a groove worn in it and just looked like crap. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and it made it worse! It was just too messed up to save.

You can also block off your iac and tune idle with a screw.. This will also fix the 4.6 slow down rev issue

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know anywhere i can read up on this? Not calling you a liar, Lol... Just wanna read the details of it and see if that's a route I might want to go. [MENTION=584]Rolocut[/MENTION]

You bet! When I took mine off it was obvious that it was messed up. The plunger had a groove worn in it and just looked like crap. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and it made it worse! It was just too messed up to save.

I guess if i have to bite the bullet and buy a new one, I can rock the minivan until next payday.... OR I could sell some shit in my garage. lol