Bullitt

Phone Geeks

Do we have any phone geeks in here and if we do what are you using right now and what are you looking forward to?

Me I have been really looking at the S4 for some time now but I have to be honest the Moto X is really starting to grab my attention.

I've played with the S3 - great piece of hardware. Finally the android OS advanced enough to take advantage of the hardware. I've had ALL - and I mean every single one of the iPhones from the beginning to the 5 which is in my pocket right now. That is my phone of choice since I'm an apple shop at home: ipad 32 att retina, iphone5, old iphone4 as an ipod, appletv, daughters ipod touch, girlfriend's iphone 4.... you get the point.

Im a phone geek but I've been broke so im running a clapped out galaxy S2 running S4 software and over clocked to 1.6ghz. Its pretty awesome I honestly feel samsung makes the best android devices. I previously had a HTC evo amd it was a great phone but HTC sense takes up way to much ram.for my liking. I have also rooted my brothers Droid razr and feel.motorola is to much of a pain to work with. Their devices like to brick if you root them. I am honestly holding out for the water proof S4 to come to sprint or the galaxy note 3.

Also I know I sound like a total android fan boy but I cannot stand IOS my wife has an I phone 5 and I feel.like I can't even use the thing when jumping from my device to it. Oh and the small apple screens are a big downer to me as well.

Sent from my Modded and overclocked Galaxy S2

I have had the Droid Eris, Droid Incredible, Blackberry Storm 2 and currently running a iPhone 4. Yes I can do a lot more with Android than with Apple and after coming over to the iPhone I now see that plus Android has made leaps and bounds of improvement plus the phones now are just incredible. I hate HTC as both my Eris and Inc were POS's and had issues. The BB lasted 48 hours with me and I sent it back lol. Like I said the GS4 has been on my radar a lot but after watching a lot of videos on the Moto X this phone is really starting to grab my attention. I mean I like all the bells and whistles when it come to hardware but it was nice to see Google/Moto focus on software this time instead all the hardware, don't get me wrong the hardware isn't bad but you can tell with this phone that wasn't their priority. That and it runs as close to stock Android that a Verizon customer is going to see for awhile.

This review is what really grabbed my attention on the Moto X.

Never really got into the android stuff, ive used them before, enjoyed the experience. Ive always had the iphone, 3GS was my first, then to a 5. Wouldnt trade them for anything. Im not an apple fan boy by any stretch, i just honestly think they work great for what I do, and i know how to use them extremely well. I imagine this would be the case also if i had an android, but i had the iphone first. Hopefully this thread doesnt turn into a droid vs iphone debate, because all the phones out there are pretty damn nice. Each have their strong suits, and each have their weak points.

Exactly they are made to do certain jobs and they work well doing those jobs. Apple in my eyes I think is great for people that want things simple and to just work, Android is for those that like to tinker and customize as well as step outside the box. Nothing wrong with either of these products. I only go back to Android because I like what they have to offer and I honestly believe since Steve Jobs passed Apple has grown stale the spark just isn't there anymore.

I'm currently rocking an iPhone 5, works perfect for what I need it for. The 5S just isn't better enough to justify upgrading.

My last phone was a 3GS so this thing is a damn rocket ship compared to my old phone, lol. I've "test driven" the other phones like Androids but I'm just too accustomed to the iPhone operating system, not worth re-acclimating myself to something else when I'm content with what I have.

There are so many money saving features on the droid that I would not be able to tollerate the iphone. For example, I have stacks of books on my computer that I can drag and drop to the droid phone and read with a free app. No one I know with an iphone is able to do this.

Kurt

There are so many money saving features on the droid that I would not be able to tollerate the iphone. For example, I have stacks of books on my computer that I can drag and drop to the droid phone and read with a free app. No one I know with an iphone is able to do this.

Kurt

Yea, its called newstand. I do it all day long, have multiple books from when i was in school on it as well. it's also an app built into the OS, so no need to go finding it in the app store.

One of my good friends has the HTC one, he loves the thing. Had to replace the screen on it after he broke it the first week he had it tho lol other than that it seems like a pretty slick phone!

My old HTC MyTouch 4G has had it. It's constantly loosing service for no reason. I'm off to get an HTC One today. Let's see if Texas can make a better phone than China.

KUrt

Love my Moto X, I got it in 3 days and this battery is amazing, the phone is quick feels good and just overall a great device. I refuse to own HTC devices anymore as I had a bad run with them back in the day. I'm telling you the Texas team is quick with these phones.

7pm Thursday order phone through moto maker

1am Friday email says they are assembling my phone

4:30pm Friday emails says they shipped it

11am Saturday phone is in my hands.

Mind you when I did all this they told me it would be 5 days so to say I'm happy would be an understatement.

I always buy through the store, because their new plan structure includes protection plans for their phones whether you want it or not.

Kurt

you can't buy motox in the stores, but you can do all your plan stuff at the store and still get the phone. Oh and for the first time ever Verizon just got the 4.4 Kitkat update today. So I have had my phone for 4 days and I am now rocking the newest android os. WOOT!!!

How is Tmobile going to replace a phone they don't sell? Does Moto honor their plan or something?

Kurt

yeah I still have my protection plan from Verizon I just design and buy the phone from Motorola. Hell I even got $50 off for being a Verizon customer when I did it. The phone comes ready to activate on your provider as soon as you get it. Just a couple of steps to follow and you are good to go.

Whenever I fly with someone with an iphone, they inevitably spend half the trip yelling at the thing. I can't stand electronics that don't work, so it's not for me.

Kurt

agreed, hate iphones

- - - Updated - - -

i do love my htc one. great phone

I guess I'm the only person who hasn't had issues with their iPhone lol. After almost 4 years my old 3GS was getting slow but 4 years is a long time for a phone these days.

I'm not exactly a phone "geek" though I suppose, as long as it texts, checks email, Facebook, Instagram, Craigslist, eBay and Source adequately I'm a happy camper.

I guess I'm the only person who hasn't had issues with their iPhone lol. After almost 4 years my old 3GS was getting slow but 4 years is a long time for a phone these days.

I'm not exactly a phone "geek" though I suppose, as long as it texts, checks email, Facebook, Instagram, Craigslist, eBay and Source adequately I'm a happy camper.

Im with you Dan, I had my 3GS up until the 5 came out, and I replaced the screen on it like 4-5 times from dropping it haha. But it was a solid ass phone. The 5 has been solid for me also. I had a glitch in the antenna when I got it on launch day, which Apple promptly sent me a new one. Other than that, def a solid phone. Im used to it, so i enjoy the hell out of it. I've used droids, i like em, but Im so used to the iphone, no real reason to change at this point!

Unfortunately Apple is on my shitlist, and I don't buy from them anymore. Had too many problems with other products from them. I also do my best to not buy anything made in China, which is extremely hard to do these days. The HTC isn't made in China so that's an easy one for me. The salesman pushed the iphone pretty hard, but I think they get a heavier commision on it, and that's why they push it. I've used one before, and found it very frustrating. It was definitely hard to use, and also very slow.

Kurt

Unfortunately Apple is on my shitlist, and I don't buy from them anymore. Had too many problems with other products from them. I also do my best to not buy anything made in China, which is extremely hard to do these days. The HTC isn't made in China so that's an easy one for me. The salesman pushed the iphone pretty hard, but I think they get a heavier commision on it, and that's why they push it. I've used one before, and found it very frustrating. It was definitely hard to use, and also very slow.

Kurt

I honestly didn't know it was even possible to buy a phone made here. I have to admit that's impressive. Shit, try to go buy a Craftsman socket set made in USA, you will be hard pressed. I had to go to 4 different Sears to find a set each of 1/2" drive shallow sockets in metric and standard, luckily one store had some old stock buried behind all the Chinese garbage sockets. It's a damn shame when even Craftsman throws in the towel.

Kurt

I don't think the HTC is made in America
Phone production is coming back. HTC is a mixed bag with a bunch of stuff still being made in Taiwan. Moto is the only sure bet for US made.

Kurt

My Moto X says designed and assembled in the USA, that was a big selling point for me.

• Moderators
I honestly didn't know it was even possible to buy a phone made here. I have to admit that's impressive. Shit, try to go buy a Craftsman socket set made in USA, you will be hard pressed. I had to go to 4 different Sears to find a set each of 1/2" drive shallow sockets in metric and standard, luckily one store had some old stock buried behind all the Chinese garbage sockets. It's a damn shame when even Craftsman throws in the towel.

This blew my mind the other day when I saw "Made in China" on one of my Craftsman tools. That was the main reason I decided to "collect" Craftsman tools. Now I actually have to look at them.

I'm jumping ship on the iPhone once my contract is up this June. I think I'm going Sony Xperia with the Smartwatch 2. Yes, I REALLY want one of those watches!!

Im thinking about possibly getting that once my contract is up as well. Im currently using the Samsung Galaxy S3 and its by far the best phone ive ever had.

Samsung def marketed their watch incredibly! I recall staring at the TV drooling because I remember how much as a kid I wanted Dick Tracy's watch. Regardless, I like the look at style of Sony's watch a little better, especially with the analog clock read-out.

I don't think the HTC is made in America

My Moto X says designed and assembled in the USA, that was a big selling point for me.

HTC is a mixed bag. Some of the components are made in the US, some in Taiwan, with final assembly in Taiwan. Nothing is made in China, which is what is really important.

Kurt