PRPVinyl

Operation Cheap Bitch

I got the motor and trans pulled out of the Mark VIII today. It went pretty easy after I dropped the K-member. The motor is pretty dirty. i am not going to worry about messing with it though until i have the mark VIII dismantled.

After I do get it cleaned up I will run a compression check and put a bore scope through the plug holes, then I will decide which direction I will go with this motor

Here is a couple of pics from the end of the day

IMG_0169_zps27402808.jpg

IMG_0168_zps9bdb768e.jpg

IMG_0167_zps281f57eb.jpg

Matt

No, But I did not feel like trying to fight with the K-member to put it back in so I put a chain going across the strut towers and used the engine hoist to lift up the front end so i could maneuver the car around. I did put the doors and trunk lid in the back of the truck to make a little more room in the garage. Tomorrow I am going to try to get all of the interior out of it.

Matt

Pretty much, cutting it up is kind of like staring down a 24 oz Porterhouse Steak, it looks intimidating, but I will just cut it down one part at a time. I figure if I take about 18" off the front and a good chunk of the trunk off, it should open up a good bit more room in the garage

matt

I got the drivers side cut back to the firewall, and i got the dash board out of it. Tomorrow will start with the headliner, and what few trim pieces are left then I will take the roof off, a-pillars, b-pillars, and c- pillars. See how long that tales me, then decide if I want to take any more of it apart

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1237766_10201170117712795_591266572_n.jpg

Matt

The diff is the same. I know the axles are longer and the mounting points for everything are supposed to be different. I know the rotors also have a larger diameter bolt pattern for the wheels. Also the diff is a one wheel wonder, no limited slip to it

Matt

I got all of the steel loaded up in the truck, well truck and trailer. I had to borrow a buddies small utility trailer. This way I only have to make one trip to the recyclers for the steel. So next weekend I will run a compression check and scope the bores to see how they are looking. If compression looks good and the bores are clean I will run the engine as it is, If the compression does not check out or if the bores look bad then I will decide which way to go with the engine later

Matt

I got all of the steel over to the scrap yard, it would up only being 1500#. I thought it would be more. I still have the cats and the aluminum wheels to recycle plus I need to strip all of the copper.

Matt

I'm very curious how much you get for stripping the copper and if it's worth the work. Why not I guess, right? If that diff housing is exactly the same as the Cobra, I'd be trying to sell that.

I'm very curious how much you get for stripping the copper and if it's worth the work. Why not I guess, right? If that diff housing is exactly the same as the Cobra, I'd be trying to sell that.

He's trading the IRS diff for a 96/98 cobra intake.

• Moderators
I'm very curious how much you get for stripping the copper and if it's worth the work.

We buy wire for $1.xx per pound, and copper for $3.xx per pound. Think it's worth a little time to strip it now?!

He's trading the IRS diff for a 96/98 cobra intake.

Wow, ballin deal! I might start snatching those diffs lol. I honestly thought everything was different about the Mark 8 IRS's.

We buy wire for $1.xx per pound, and copper for $3.xx per pound. Think it's worth a little time to strip it now?!

Yup, lol. I know [MENTION=172]Sleeperstang1994[/MENTION] is saving all his wire.

Yesterday when I was at the yard I asked about the copper prices. Their price was $2.95 for bright clean wire(stripped) or $1.10 for insulated wire. A good buddy of mine let me borrow his wire stripper that looks like a flaring block that is split in the middle with different size holes. You put a razor blade in it and pull the wire through cutting the insulation making it easier o get the insulation off

I will have a go at it and see how long it takes, then decide if it is worth it

Matt

Wow, ballin deal! I might start snatching those diffs lol. I honestly thought everything was different about the Mark 8 IRS's.

Yup, lol. I know @Sleeperstang1994 is saving all his wire.

HA i just stripped a security system out of a 2000 V6 today. saved all the wires and relays too!

So I went over to load up the rest of the Mark VIII stuff to take to the transfer station to throw away tomorrow. So then I decided to tinker with the Teksid engine for a little bit.

First thing I learned is that the head on the Harbor Freight bore scope camera is just a hair too large to fit into a 5/8" spark plug hole.

Second the way the spark plug holes are cut into the 4V heads on a 93 Mark VIII you can get get a compression tester to screw directly into the head, the threads are not cut all of the way to the top of the spark plug hole. So I thought maybe I could use a spark plug non -fouler to adapt it in. I ran into the same problem with the non fouler, I had to grind about 1/2"off the top of the non fouler to get the compression tester to be able to screw in to it.

So now that I have all of that worked out tomorrow after I go to the transfer station I can take a battery and remote starter over and do a compression check on the Teksid

Matt

Well the compression check did not go very well. All cylinders on the passenger side were between 115 and 120 psi. The drivers side had 2 cylinders at 125 psi, 1 and 110 psi and the 4th at 75 psi. So it looks like some sort of rebuild is on order. Right now I am hoping I can get away with honing the cylinders and installing new rings, bearings and gaskets. I will not really know until I get the heads off and check the bores closely.

Time to start looking at different rebuild options

matt