Tony

shaving door handles

whipy whiperson....any tips on shaving door handles, tailgate handles, antenna hole....etc?

main thing i wonder about is the best kind of filler that wont shrink as easy as bondo body filler, lol. also the best types of welds to not warp the fuck outta the panels. if its not something you're familiar with i totally understand, lol. not many body guys fuck with this type of work. anyone else with any tips i appreciate as i'm planning on tackling some shaving myself :) thanks fellas

Weld in the panel, grind it flush (the welds) then use a thin coat, shouldnt need much but maybe a little "icing" finishing plastic. The higher end will be better, most of the plastic you use, as long as its mixed correctly will shrink and move fine, most issues you see is the paint/primer not flexing.

Form sheetmetal for door handles keep gap tight. Spot weld little at a time so as to not warp skin. Duraglass for filler and icing to finish. Id be leary with your paint and a blend job on the doors.

I had every intention of shaving my handles right up till I had my wreck not long ago. Now I am afraid it would cause some kind of problem if there was an accident and I was not awake. Sure you can always break a window but idunno it seems like in the moment when the fit hits the shan that I don't want anyone wasting any time thinking "Where the FFF are the door handles WE GOTTA GET HIM OUT OF THERE!" I will be shaving the antenna though with my new welder. I will post some pics of it when it happens.

Weld in the panel, grind it flush (the welds) then use a thin coat, shouldnt need much but maybe a little "icing" finishing plastic. The higher end will be better, most of the plastic you use, as long as its mixed correctly will shrink and move fine, most issues you see is the paint/primer not flexing.

This is the way I would do it. But remember if you shave your door handles the car is no longer going to be allowed on the track.

Sent from my Modded and overclocked Galaxy S2

whipy whiperson....any tips on shaving door handles, tailgate handles, antenna hole....etc?

main thing i wonder about is the best kind of filler that wont shrink as easy as bondo body filler, lol. also the best types of welds to not warp the fuck outta the panels. if its not something you're familiar with i totally understand, lol. not many body guys fuck with this type of work. anyone else with any tips i appreciate as i'm planning on tackling some shaving myself :) thanks fellas

Considering I shaved my antenna and all the badges I suppose I could give you some tips.

Welding - TIG welding is anyone's best bet for auto sheet metal. It can weld with the least heat and you can get away with some pretty serious fuck ups without doing somewhat extensive damage to the panel (mainly warping). I MIG'd my antenna, badges, engine bay, battery box, everything. Not because its better but because I don't have a TIG (yet) and also because I can MIG weld well enough to not cause myself problems. If you don't have the resources just take it to a decent welding shop and have them TIG up the holes.

Body Filler - I use Evercoat Fiberglass Filler and Evercoat Body Filler (forgot the technical name on the can right now. I can get you pics later, I'm on lunch right now). Both of them are really good at not shrinking back and they're reasonably priced. Any paint shop will have it.

EDIT: I'd also suggest getting some Evercoat Filler Thinner (honey) for a topcoat.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

This is the way I would do it. But remember if you shave your door handles the car is no longer going to be allowed on the track.

Sent from my Modded and overclocked Galaxy S2

Not true you have to have a cable release and a sign showing where the cable is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, mustangers kill me. no fellas not shaving handles on mustang. my old s10. yea whip if you can get me a little more info on that filler you're talking about i'd owe ya my dude. thanks guys for the tips :)

Oh fo sho. I forgot all my stuff is still at my uncle's place so I'll probably get you pics of the gallons tomorrow.

EDIT: Just reread the OP and just want to let you know; if it's something I don't know about or am not comfortable with, I wouldn't tell you. I don't have that kind of ego.

I would shave handles of Mustang. What is wrong with that? Hell, I am even considering removing side scoops. Look badass but they are just sitting there not doing anything.

Oh fo sho. I forgot all my stuff is still at my uncle's place so I'll probably get you pics of the gallons tomorrow.

EDIT: Just reread the OP and just want to let you know; if it's something I don't know about or am not comfortable with, I wouldn't tell you. I don't have that kind of ego.

cool dude appreciate that. and i know you dont have ego issues. just not sure if its something you've ever fucked with :) das all
I would shave handles of Mustang. What is wrong with that? Hell, I am even considering removing side scoops. Look badass but they are just sitting there not doing anything.

yea man i would'nt have an issue shaving my handles on the mustang at all. i see nothing wrong with it. never thought about it though on this car i guess cause it was always a minitrucin thing for me to shave shit lol. i think it would look nasty though for sure.

cool dude appreciate that. and i know you dont have ego issues. just not sure if its something you've ever fucked with :) das all

Keep track of my build thread, I've built a garage-born showcar.

As I said earlier I was going to do it up till my wreck. Tony always has the top down anyways so that would be less of an issue for him :) I mean he has to or I am sure there is a black bubble over his head like dan gurney in the GT40.

^lmao...i can drive with my top up dammit >:(
we would need pics of that to believe it. Shit if it were not for the pic of your car at the carshow I would not even think it had a top on it. :) But then if I had a vert it would be down a lot more then up too.

I am curious if anyone has looked at the door handle mechanism on the outside of the car to answer my questions. Rather then shaving the handle I was thinking about if it would be possible to replace the outside piece that you pull up on with a piece that would not stick out as much and would just follow the contour of the door for a smoother look?

Good idea, I think that would look pretty good. I don't see why it would be a problem since the mechanism isn't effected by the outside of the handle. I would think as long as the part of the handle that is attached to the door is the same then there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know this for sure, just thinking about it.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 4S

Like I said I was all for shaving them and I was going to use the hidden switches to open them too. This shit is baller....

But after my wreck and having to crawl out the window this is a case where the form will follow the function. I was looking at pics of the handle mechanism last night and not sure I can do it but will look into it further. It will be a minor change but I think it would look good myself. Its the little things that matter....

allot of guys never run electric poppers for their shaved handles. just a door release cable with small handle. i had one in my inner fender well. easy to install. just another idea fo ya :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-Manual-Release-Kit-For-Shaved-Doors-Door-Poppers-/110799737974