MaximumRisk

Mini Project: Using Ford Electric Emissions pump to aid PCV setup

Hello everyone, just wanted to share my new PCV setup. I have always run breathers, but wanted to give this idea a try. It is nothing new, but I thought I would share anyways.

The setup consist of using the factory PCV setup with the aid of an air/oil separator, a Ford Electric Emissions pump (vacuum pump. For a 98 Cobra in my case), 2psi Hobbs switch, a Honda Civic brake booster check valve, a relay and some vacuum line.

Here is the idea:

The car will have the stock PCV system in place for idling and off-boost driving so it'll work as it did from the factory, but I have added a JLT air/oil separator to keep oil out of the intake. I also added a check valve (the brake booster check valve from Hondas works great!!! and it is much easier to locate than the Supra, TurboCoupe PCV valve, just make sure it's a factory Honda unit) to keep pressure from going to the crankcase once boost kicks in.

When boost comes on the factory PCV setup will become disable (there is no more vacuum :D ) and a Hobbs switch will power a relay which turns on the Electric vacuum pump.

From my research, most people see between 4-5 inches of vacuum at the crankcase from these pumps while under boost.

Here are a few pics. they are bad pics, but I did not realize it until this morning and I already buttoned everything up :(

here is the diagram

PCV-setup-1Large_zpsf475e71f.jpg

this is what the pump looks like

post-780-13881839491136_thumb.jpg

I mounted it on the drivers side inner fender area, by the radiator support

DSC07535Large_zps07f62bf4.jpg

here are the relay and the hobbs switch

PCV-setup-2Large_zpsbca17a25.jpg

Baffled breather feeding the Electric Vacuum Pump

DSC07534Large_zps1dc7c6c0.jpg

the air/oil separator at the back of the intake near the stock PCV location

DSC07541Large_zps97bb13a3.jpg

Here is another pick for better idea on its location

DSC07542Large_zps07802bca.jpg

oh, by the way, in case you're thinking about it, the image is not mirrored, my intake is flipped :D

and here is a video of the pump at work. It is a little loud, but you cannot hear it running once the engine is running. Especially since it will only be turned on under boost.

th_VID_20130905_213509_zpsbefbb1cf.jpg

If any one has a question just let me know, I will try to answer it best I can.

Edited by MaximumRisk

Nice setup! As long as you keep absolutely all oil from getting into the pump it should last a while. Those pumps fail fast if oil gets into them FYI. I looked into those before taking the plunge and doing my vacuum pump setup. The great thing is you can pick up those factory pumps on the cheap if they fail from exposure to oil. You're running a separator so that should help a ton

Yeah, I am giving this one a shot. I read about guys on other forums using them for over 2 years and counting. I am hoping this works well for me. I will hook up a vacuum gauge to the crankcase and go for a drive later today and see how much vacuum I see under boost. By the way, where can I see your setup?? [MENTION=67]95riosnake[/MENTION]

Yeah, I am giving this one a shot. I read about guys on other forums using them for over 2 years and counting. I am hoping this works well for me. I will hook up a vacuum gauge to the crankcase and go for a drive later today and see how much vacuum I see under boost. By the way, where can I see your setup?? [MENTION=67]95riosnake[/MENTION]

Click the link to my build thread in my sig, the second post on the first page has a few pics of it, it's a GZ Motorsports pump. (The first post on that page is super long so you have to scroll quite a bit to get to the second post)

so are you saying that the honda check valve prevents PSI from leaking into the pump under boost? what type of car does this check valve come off of? not alot of factory turbo hondas running around. Actually the only one i can think of is the RDX? Also the electric pump still manages to pull a vac on the crankcase even under boost pressure? ALSO. the way a factory PCV system works it has a line from the intake to, in your case, the back of the intake to draw crank case gases. Then a line running from the air intake TUBE to the valve cover. This allows for a fresh air flow into the engine since the pcv is drawing out of the motor. Based on your picture. you have two sources of "vacuum"? OR do you have a fresh air source that was not mentioned and i just wasted my time. sorry for all the questions just trying to understand what you have done.

Edited by Sleeperstang1994