Mikey94gt

79 notch build

So, the gf (Miranda) and I drove 4 hrs to kalispell, mt to pick up her $500 1979 mustang with a turbo 2.3 with a 4spd.

The engine is a fresh rebuild wirh .030 and a custom cam of some sort, everything else is stock

So far, we got it running fairly well, drove it a little, and started gathering parts.(yeah, it's kinda bad, chassis wise) It needs front brakes, master cylinder and wheels and tires, so she scored a set of bullitt Oem wheels and brand new tires. I found some 98 gt front spindles, all the brake parts, and the master cylinder. The poor car sat in the origional owners back yard for 20+ years

Anyways, Her plan is to resto-mod it with 5 lug conversion, lower it and mod the suspension for autox, convert to Efi and paint it dark grey or ?? (haven't really figured the color yet).

Loaded up, in the po's yard (her truck too)

fc3a86ed.jpg

The mota.

1db82fe7.jpg

Used wheels/brand new tires.

8852dd98.jpg

Damn thats old school! Looks nice though should be damn nice when its all done. :encouragement: for wanting to go EFI. Oh and Red is the only real color for a Mustang :)

Show her this pic for a little inspiration.

DSC_0044-3.jpg

:emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery::emot-fappery:

Thanks for the props fellas! Miranda likes the grey notch posted, gives a good idea what to aim for. She hasnt decided on a nose yet, theres a good chance of going with a 4 eye nose. but I'm pretty sure she picked the 87-93 Lx tails, or the svo ones. Not sure yet.

That's the sickest 4 eyed Ive ever seen, usually don't like them as much as the later model front ends but damn! Guess everything is bigger in Texas, including rear tires

dang that's awesome! id love to own a 2.3

ps your girl is pretty good looking! no harm meant. lucky man

Thanks man! She's the best!

That four eye hatch is badass, I agree. The slot nose looks waaay better than the grille on the 79. Anyone know exactly what years that nose is?I think we are going in that direction, but wide slicks all around for autox.

This is gonna be a badass build. Good Luck!!! You from MT?? Or just went there to pick up the car?

Thanks man! I think its gonna be cool as hell. Especially since a girl built it.

I grew up in Pocatello, ID, went all over the damn place, then moved to butte to finish college jan '12. I'll be here for a few years, lol.

So, bit of an update. we are gathering parts for the car... first on the list is the MM Starter Box.... it has everything in it that we need to replace, and I think we are going with bilstien shocks, MM lowering springs for 4cyl cars, and urethane bushings for the entire car.

a buddy of mine sent me the front end parts to go 5 lug, basically the entire front end from a 98 mustang V6. Im gonna hit the junk yard hard this week and find some 5 lug axles to swap in, two left hand axles from a Ranger, or two right hand axles from an Aerostar. or mix... whatever... haha.

I am going today to get a 1987 Mustang GT parts car so we can rob the rear axle, fuel tank, some interior parts and the LX tails from it that someone swapped on... then parting out the car if you guys need stuff.

Another update....

We have 4 large boxes on the way from MM in Cali, every part of the car's suspension is gonna be overhauled, replaced or both.... She ponied up (pun intended) and ordered up a mm track box with some extras.

I snagged some left hand axles out of two ford rangers today, along with drums....

And the 98 front spindles, brake setup and master cylinder will be here next week as well.

Stay tuned for install pics!

Small update....

There's a 95 mustang gt steering rack, complete with inner tie rods in the mail, along with axle end upper control arm bushings, the tool to install them, and a MM camber gage. I'm gonna make a set of toe in plates, since I have access to a metal fab shop right now.

So, the pics! we got the rear axle swapped to 5 lug, and mocked up the wheels to see if they clear the wheel wells.

f654a7f6.jpg

We also dissassembled the front end, to get it ready for the MM parts in the mail, which should be here this week.

81ea2c23.jpg

We didnt get much else done, as the front end parts got returned to sender, apparently ups fails at finding my house. More updates soon! Btw, Miranda's been doing the work, with me helping/guiding, so awesome!

Edited by Mikey94gt

So, huge update!!!!!!

We got 4 boxes of parts from maximum motorsports, we ordered the track box, then mike over at mm custom tailored the kit to our project. Included was a panhard bar, lca's, road and track mm lowering springs, hd bilstiens, and full length subframes.

We also have sn95 front control arms, spindles and brakes to go on the front. Pics to follow!

The car drives! We got it together Sunday afternoon, drove it a little and headed 150 miles to great falls. Miranda drove it the whole way, and was extremely impressed with how it handles.

I will say this... Working on a 79mustang that was used on dirt roads a bunch is a learning experience. That means every damn bolt was either super rusty and caked in mud, or stuck. Somehow I got the control arm bolts broke loose front and back.... Holy (&:$/@:@...

We were able to install the sn95 brakes/spindles/control arms in front, cc plates, bilstiens and lowering springs all around, upper/lower control arms in back, and new wheels.

It also got a new power steering pump, new hoses and a new master cylinder/booster, as most Of those were either worn out or leaking badly.

The car has a few minor issues left, and we need to install the 96 steering rack, subframes and panhard. We ain't done yet lol!!

It was a two day wrench fest, and fun was had by all. Anyways, on to the pics!!!!

Big stack of parts in my living room.

F4EDB967-1CD0-427D-844A-363256EA2383-10910-00000FE05611C2E2.jpg

The spindles/brakes. We ended up using some brake rotors tha were refinished, and a set of pads from carquest, along with the stock brake lines for now.

BFF906EE-C7C9-4095-AC90-6F5A2927ED24-10910-00000FE066A00559.jpg

Mostly done sat afternoon, taking a break.

20A2D8EC-0A5F-45BF-8542-54BB1AAC29F4-11624-00001286528D7C79.jpg

Miranda installing front brake lines.

EFBEE4C8-8685-4DF6-8F5F-5773D2E8B727-11624-000012865B6E3973.jpg

The car, almost done! It blew a power steering hose moments after this pic, spent another hour taking hoses off the parts car

9AB7A85E-871D-4424-8FEE-FBD8A90861C9-11624-0000128662A55AEF.jpg

Edited by Mikey94gt

The car after its maiden voyage to taco bell. Love the stance!!!!!0C44E24E-35CD-4A08-8151-55ADF0272391-11624-000012866A0A074E-1.jpg

E9208611-3697-4637-92BA-7E0F65C56BFD-11624-000012867849DC00-2.jpg

And the parts car we got last week. Using it for Efi parts, brake lines and other misc stuff. Definitely paid to have it in the driveway, we ended up using the new brake mc out of it, along with the front brake lines and proportioning valve, p/s lines and eventually the radiator and nifty aftermarket led tails. The parts car also has Ricaro seats in it, so those are getting recovered and installed soon. Gotta make brackets.

The parts car also has an 80 front end, so we may be swapping parts around soon.

F1261A5D-2A9B-4E10-AB21-A54688F2BA9B-11624-000012DBC2FFCE76-1.jpg

Edited by Mikey94gt

I love me some taco bell.

It looks good. The back is just a tad bit too high for my taste though.

Agreed.... We left out the top spring Iso's in front, at maximums suggestion since the road and track springs are tailored for v8 cars. We will prolly end up installing them later.

The "slot-nose" 4-eye is 85-86 at least. Maybe 84 thrown in there too, iunno but it's def my favorite fox nose.

Sweet project, I can't believe you'd get rid of that awesome Mustang decal though.

The "slot-nose" 4-eye is 85-86 at least. Maybe 84 thrown in there too, iunno but it's def my favorite fox nose.

Sweet project, I can't believe you'd get rid of that awesome Mustang decal though.

Haha, we ended up with a nice '80 nose, we will probably end up using that.

As for the decal...... We could peel it off carefully and send it to ya for your own personal use hahaha.

So, we drove the car yesterday.... And it makes huge clouds of white smoke. It had low compression in a couple cylinders, and it being a new build that sat for 20 years, I'm fairly sure it needs piston rings. While we are at it, we are gonna replace every single gasket, as it leaks oil pretty good too.

We started the engine re ring, got the engine/trans out, separated and ready to be re ringed. Pretty much waiting on parts again, I called Summit and they had to drop ship a bunch of stuff. This should give us enough time to gather the few parts we need to drop a world class t5 in as well, cuz the bell housing bolts right up to the transmission. Effing crazy. The only parts we should need are a shifter and a steel input bearing retainer, I gave Miranda a t5 for it. Anyways, here's the pics.

A70CD10E-8BE9-4238-9347-B750A7CB669A-2540-0000039CCF39D230.jpg

553FA51F-5C42-4C61-A97F-F88AE183C44A-2540-0000039CDAF8F569.jpg

Edited by Mikey94gt