Mikey94gt

79 notch build

Thanks for the props fellas! Hopefully some parts show up this weekend, I'd love to get this car on the road again, Miranda loves driving it already.

Det.... I guess if your girls car is faster than yours, then you have a reason to upgrade, right?

Small, but important update.

The boxes containing the new piston rings, gaskets and other misc parts showed up. I think we are gonna try to Efi swap it as well, which could be fun, since we have the parts already. I stripped the parts car of almost everything of use, itll go to the Jy tomorrow. I'll update with pics later today.....

Thanks for the props fellas! Hopefully some parts show up this weekend, I'd love to get this car on the road again, Miranda loves driving it already.

Det.... I guess if your girls car is faster than yours, then you have a reason to upgrade, right?

touche, plus if she's happy, i'm happy?

i see all the new parts but my eyes went straight to the electric guitar, lol. is that a gibson les paul electric dude? sorry for jackin da thread....
no worries... It's an Epiphone Les Paul in one year tobbacco sunburst. Don't play much anymore.... Sad. Lol

Another huge update... Miranda and I proceeded to pull and tear down the engine that was "rebuilt" by the previous owner. What a joke. Two seized wrist pins, wrong crush on many of the rod bearings, no compression in one cylinder, low compression (120psi) in the rest, and crappy gaskets and seals used throughout. I'm surprised it even ran. #1 piston is badly scored, #3 was starting, as they were the two with bad wrist pins.

On to the good news... We used the pristine 90k mile bottom end out of the 91lx parts car, that got rid of the random misfire, and every other issue we had. It doesnt leak anymore! It's sort of a Frankenstein, using the cyl head, intake and oil pan from the 79, cam cover and shortblock from the 91. It now has serpentine belt on it as well, major upgrade from the twin v belt the 79 came with. Miranda drove it about 170 miles or more around the area, no problems whatsoever. She reports the car handles great, and has tons more power than before.... I am here to tell you, it's true!

We took all the Efi stuff out of the parts car, fuel tank, wiring, lines, everything, so we can swap it into the 79. It's also getting other engine upgrades.... Stay tuned for that! So... Pics in next post.

Edited by Mikey94gt

Engine pulled sat morning

365FAB80-B521-46A5-9F44-C60CAC188596-13610-00000F75BF4AA10D.jpg

553FA51F-5C42-4C61-A97F-F88AE183C44A-2540-0000039CDAF8F569.jpg

My workbench after tear down. Junked pistons! Note the two rods sticking up, lol!

234D4399-1B51-4316-9843-463F1BCF127D-13610-00000F75B873A7C7.jpg

Assembling a good transmission from 3 junk ones....

D6719C9B-0C84-4D04-A541-48D05AD0FC9C-13610-00000F75B0AEEF62.jpg

Miranda assembling the new "Frankenstein" engine...

709C4478-473E-4C53-BA9B-7DE6C8A9D6B3-13610-00000F75A46C3669.jpg

Frankenstein in place

2174ABE1-086E-4554-8058-63B2D32DAE9D-13610-00000F759D23CDE8.jpg

Edited by Mikey94gt

Another huge update... Miranda and I proceeded to pull and tear down the engine that was "rebuilt" by the previous owner. What a joke. Two seized wrist pins, wrong crush on many of the rod bearings, no compression in one cylinder, low compression (120psi) in the rest, and crappy gaskets and seals used throughout. I'm surprised it even ran. #1 piston is badly scored, #3 was starting, as they were the two with bad wrist pins.

On to the good news... We used the pristine 90k mile bottom end out of the 91lx parts car, that got rid of the random misfire, and every other issue we had. It doesnt leak anymore! It's sort of a Frankenstein, using the cyl head, intake and oil pan from the 79, cam cover and shortblock from the 91. It now has serpentine belt on it as well, major upgrade from the twin v belt the 79 came with. Miranda drove it about 170 miles or more around the area, no problems whatsoever. She reports the car handles great, and has tons more power than before.... I am here to tell you, it's true!

We took all the Efi stuff out of the parts car, fuel tank, wiring, lines, everything, so we can swap it into the 79. It's also getting other engine upgrades.... Stay tuned for that! So... Pics in next post.

Wow, just wow about your finding! ..Ford sure make some strong running engines, even after being poorly rebuild it still kept going.

Anyway; good job on getting the engine done right and congrats on getting it up and running. :)

What are you going to do paintwise?

Wow, just wow about your finding! ..Ford sure make some strong running engines, even after being poorly rebuild it still kept going.

Anyway; good job on getting the engine done right and congrats on getting it up and running. :)

What are you going to do paintwise?

For sure man, the ford 4 cyl is pretty tough lol.

For paint, we are thinking a semi gloss on top with a dark shadow grey high gloss on bottom, split by a purple stripe so people know Miranda built it, not me. Haha.

For paint, we are thinking a semi gloss on top with a dark shadow grey high gloss on bottom, split by a purple stripe so people know Miranda built it, not me. Haha.
That's going to look killer! Yall are doing a great job.

For sure man, the ford 4 cyl is pretty tough lol.

I have absolutely no doubt about that will look awesome, but I somehow hoped that you could keep or redo the cars original side stripe with the running horse.

Great progress. I think you should keep it a 4-eye, but I'm biased. Check out foureyedpride.com for hard(er) to find parts.

Here are some more inspiration pics. These were all cars that I've owned.

1985 Mustang GT

85MustangGT20020.jpg

l_5a108c3e52770ee0e6cc230934bfe11e.jpg

1988 Mustang coupe - ex 4-cyl, carb 5.0L swap w/ T5 & 8.8 w/ 4.10's.

88Coupe052.jpg

88Coupe047.jpg

1993 Mustang coupe - original 5.0L 5spd, 80k original miles, had a few bolt ons :)

IMG_1523.jpg

100_1813.jpg

Thanks guys! Brian.... I'll send you exclusive sneak previews then... Hahaha

Svt-rob, it's staying 4 eye, the parts car came with a nice lookig nose from an 80 so we are gonna go that route for now. You've owned some badass rides btw.

Glad to hear that!! Yea, I've had a few that were nice :) I've just owned too many vehicles. It's a disease, I tell ya!!!

Just throwing this out there....

For an auto x / road course car, the full air dam offered on the early 80's GT cars (and '79 Pacecar) is where it's at. I had one on my '81 and '82.

(NOT MY CAR)

DSCN0500.jpg

79 Pace Car, 82 GT, and 84-86 Capri RS all had the same front air dam, just FYI. LRS sells a reproduction for $150, I think. Mine is split where it bolts to the fender extensions on both sides, I'm probably just going to pick up a replacement instead of trying to repair this one.

No, sorry. The one from LRS looks like it's gone up in price to $230, and it's a Xenon, not a factory.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-3127/1979-82-Mustang-Urethane-Air-Dam

The one from FoxMustangRestoration.com is a direct replacement, but it's pricey at $380.

http://foxmustangrestoration.com/products/view/934/Front_Air_Dam_Pace_Car_GT_Capri_and_Cobra

In order for these to work correctly, you need the correct upper cover from the respective car. They are a two piece design. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can get some pictures of the two pieces of mine, to show you what I'm talking about.

Rob

No, sorry. The one from LRS looks like it's gone up in price to $230, and it's a Xenon, not a factory.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-3127/1979-82-Mustang-Urethane-Air-Dam

The one from FoxMustangRestoration.com is a direct replacement, but it's pricey at $380.

http://foxmustangrestoration.com/products/view/934/Front_Air_Dam_Pace_Car_GT_Capri_and_Cobra

In order for these to work correctly, you need the correct upper cover from the respective car. They are a two piece design. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can get some pictures of the two pieces of mine, to show you what I'm talking about.

Rob

Hm, something to think about. Ill run it past Miranda and see what she thinks.

So... drove the car from my house in Butte to Great Falls for Miranda, (she lives in GF), 150 miles, and it did AWESOME!!! The car is sooo tossable in the canyons, its amazing. the brakes are FANTASTIC! it stops as well as my Griggs equipped 94 with Cobra brakes and disc all around.... holyfuckinshit.

We did order a 4cyl WC T5 for it, along with a Pro-5.0 shifter, hope they get here before the weekend, so Miranda and I can toss them in this weekend and have some fun at the road course.....

Btw, thanks again for the kind words fellas! stay tuned for future updates.... winter is coming soon in these parts, so updates should be more frequent.

So... drove the car from my house in Butte to Great Falls for Miranda, (she lives in GF), 150 miles, and it did AWESOME!!! The car is sooo tossable in the canyons, its amazing. the brakes are FANTASTIC! it stops as well as my Griggs equipped 94 with Cobra brakes and disc all around.... holyfuckinshit.

We did order a 4cyl WC T5 for it, along with a Pro-5.0 shifter, hope they get here before the weekend, so Miranda and I can toss them in this weekend and have some fun at the road course.....

Btw, thanks again for the kind words fellas! stay tuned for future updates.... winter is coming soon in these parts, so updates should be more frequent.

As she gets more comfortable with the car, you should think about doing a 2.3T swap into it. That will keep the light-weight throwability it has now, but give it some power to get out of it's own way, too. Anything from a Thunderbird Turbocoupe, SVO, or GT/RS Turbo will bolt right in. And those little 2.3 Turbo's are definitely easy to upgrade!!

Rob