ttocs

electric water pump

Curious what people thing about these? When/while I have my motor out to smooth the engine bay I have considered one of these but wasn't sure what the real story was. I know it can free up some hp and I have a 200 amp alt so I have the power to spare, how is the reliability?

if you plan on any extended high RPM's don't do it. Electric water pumps spin at the same rate at all times, they do not speed up or slow down like a belt driven pump would. You could PROBABLY get away with it on a daily driven vehicle, but I don't know of too many that run one for anything other than drag racing.

if you plan on any extended high RPM's don't do it. Electric water pumps spin at the same rate at all times, they do not speed up or slow down like a belt driven pump would. You could PROBABLY get away with it on a daily driven vehicle, but I don't know of too many that run one for anything other than drag racing.
anyone I knew that had one did it for racing purposes so I am not sure the idea of it not spinning fast enough at high rpms would contradict that wouldn't you?

anyone I knew that had one did it for racing purposes so I am not sure the idea of it not spinning fast enough at high rpms would contradict that wouldn't you?

the key word is extended high rpm's. It's not going to hurt the motor in a 14 second or less pull. I'm talking about road racing you're just asking for since you're constantly at high rpm.

ah gotcha - racing - funny I forgot there is more then one type.... I am good to stab it every once and a while but mainly happy just to save my tires and try not to draw any unnecessary attention to me so it shouldn't be a problem there. So then I guess is just the question of reliability.

Reliability is there,but anytime you change a mechanical to electrical system, you will ALWAYS lose reliability. Also depending on the pump/motor it will change how soon you will need to have the unit rebuilt. Current rebuilds from Meizier is in the 150-175 range + shipping. But remember they dont call them miserie for no reason. I have one on my car, All was good once I took care of a clearance issue from impeller to block.

• Moderators
You could PROBABLY get away with it on a daily driven vehicle, but I don't know of too many that run one for anything other than drag racing.

Not sure I understand this quote. My BMW has an electric pump and is definitely not a drag racer.

Not sure I understand this quote. My BMW has an electric pump and is definitely not a drag racer.

Reliability of using an electric pump on a day to day basis. BMW manufactures these so it makes sense that they last but, aftermarket companies not so much. some people have failures after 2000 miles... but others will last a lot longer. There's just no consistency to the part.

• Moderators
Reliability of using an electric pump on a day to day basis. BMW manufactures these so it makes sense that they last but, aftermarket companies not so much. some people have failures after 2000 miles... but others will last a lot longer. There's just no consistency to the part.

Same with BMW to some extent lol. The water pump is one of their known failure points, but they still seem to be overall reliable. My 3 series pump lasted to 90k miles, but I've read accounts of people having them go out at 5k miles and multiple times.

not sure why we can't compare stock/aftermarket personally yes they are different, could not be any more different but there isn't a reason we can't say it is or is not as reliable as the stock piece in the name of freeing up hp for the motor.

• Moderators
you cant really compare a factory part to an aftermarket ..... r&d build specs, parts, life expectancy ....wayyyyyyyyyyyy different. you buy a new 40,000.00 car or a used car with a 300.00 pump..definatly going to see some differences.

It's an electric pump regardless, right? I was just using this point to counter iRoush's claim electric pumps were no good for daily drivers. BMW doesn't even make the pump, so my point is sill valid; electric pumps seem (in my very limited experience) to work just fine in a daily driver. That being said, I probably would never spend the money to replace the mechanical pump that is functioning just fine.

5HP isnt really worth the 350$ IMHO. you can do march pulleys and free up more power while maintaining a mechanical pump..

5hp is not worth it, fine but what you can do is now cool the engine with the engine off between the pump being on and circulating cool lowering engine temps, is a good enough benifit for me.

It's an electric pump regardless, right? I was just using this point to counter iRoush's claim electric pumps were no good for daily drivers. BMW doesn't even make the pump, so my point is sill valid; electric pumps seem (in my very limited experience) to work just fine in a daily driver. That being said, I probably would never spend the money to replace the mechanical pump that is functioning just fine.

But your point is invalid that pump is deisgned for daily driving a meizier is designed to last only a few hundred work hours and then be reubuilt. At that rate BMW or Brand X if you will, would have it put in to their 10 or 15,000 mile service to have the waterpump rebuilt....... see where im going with this

• Moderators
But your point is invalid that pump is deisgned for daily driving a meizier is designed to last only a few hundred work hours and then be reubuilt. At that rate BMW or Brand X if you will, would have it put in to their 10 or 15,000 mile service to have the waterpump rebuilt....... see where im going with this

Oh, I know. I was playing Devil's advocate. I've actually gotten lucky with my two electric BMW pumps. One lasted 90k miles and the other is at 80k (will probably die now that I said something). There are a ton of people that have dead BMW pumps around 15k miles.

Oh, I know. I was playing Devil's advocate. I've actually gotten lucky with my two electric BMW pumps. One lasted 90k miles and the other is at 80k (will probably die now that I said something). There are a ton of people that have dead BMW pumps around 15k miles.

Volvo (current employer) and Chrysler corp(former of 7 yr) all used electric power steering pumps...... cant wait to see how quickly they fail now....

I actually just bought one cheap that needs a new impeller yesterday. Only reason i got it is because ive been stranded twice where i shredded a belt. This was when i was still trying to get everything aligned. With the electric pump, i can actually drive the car until the battery dies. lol. I do carry an extra belt and tools now but thats not the point

Funny how all that works. I think just about every car has electric power steering now. They are getting rid of all kinds of mechanical parts in airplanes and replacing them with electrical components. I am not a fan. There must be 50 damn computers in the airplane I fly, and it really drags on you. Always stuck somewhere because some computer is giving you a nuisance message.

Kurt

looks like it has its good and bad points just like everything else but sounds like we don't have much real-world exp with them actually in mustangs for me to say its worth taking the chance for me. Thanks fella's I will certainly end up spending that cash somewhere else...

To summarize

1) electric water pump, is just and idler or removes the pulley all together depending on the set up.

2) makes more hp available

3) has a rebuild spec which needs to be followed to prevent failure.

4) Unless this is a track car which will see the occasional car show or meet, don't waste your money.