laddanator

My New Mystic Is Home But With Two Issues.

So I picked up my Mystic today. Low miles and all

kppj.jpg

oave.jpg

olo0.jpg

falw.jpg

ssnk.jpg

fa3p.jpg

wrxt.jpg

chhl.jpg

uitz.jpg

3m2g.jpg

xhj.JPG

wdij.jpg

95ir.JPG

The Mods:Only 1500 miles on all this stuff

1. Engine: Mostly Stock

MMR IRMC deletes

UPR Molly Chrome K Member

65 mm twin blade BBK TB

80 mm cold air kit

Poly Urethane motor mounts

MSD Coil Packs

New Ford Racing Wires

Steeda Timing Gear mounted to Harmonic Balancer

2. Transmission:

New Poly mounts

Spec 2 Clutch

Spec billet aluminum flywheel

Ford Racing drive shaft

3. Rear End:

3.73 gears

31spline moser axles

Ford Racing Traction LOK Limited Slip Differential w/ Carbon Discs 31 Spline

Ford Racing Diff cover

Suspension:

Every part and bushing front and back replaced.

Blisten struts and shocks

Steeda x2 joints no spacers

Eibach Sport Springs

Eibach sway bars front and back

Brakes:

Slotted rotors all 4 corners

Rebuilt Calipers

Not sure about pad brand name but all 4 corners have been replaced

Interior:

New carpet

03/04 Cobra seats

Paint:

3M bra stuff on front of hood and behind tires

Just repainted from front to back by Ford with BASF Mystic paint. The BASF rep had to come out and supervise and all.

I could go on all day but I have found two issues

Questions:

1. Bad vibration at 2500 to 3000 rpm and this occurs in neutral so it's transmission related or motor. I drove the car home for 4 hours and PO has been driving it. The PO said this problem started after clutch install and the PO called the shop who installed the clutch and they told him this was normal until break in period was over. NO WAY THIS IS TRUE!! The vibration is pretty bad. I'm scared to drive it but hell, 1500 miles has been put on the car. I'm sure this will cause damage?

2. The car will hang idle around 1800 to 2000 rpm for 35 to 45 seconds or so then return to normal. The PO said he thought it was the new TB and he tuned it with a tune SCT sent him for the TB change. I now own this SCT hand held tuner. Does this sound correct? <This problem is actually fixed temporary. Put stock TB back on

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone every have a bad vibration with Poly mounts? Never owned a car with Poly mounts.

Does the vibration only happen at 2500-3000? Where can you feel it? Does speed or gear make a difference? Oh or are you saying it happens sitting still free revving?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Does the vibration only happen at 2500-3000? Where can you feel it? Does speed or gear make a difference? Oh or are you saying it happens sitting still free revving?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It vibrates when you first crank in (neutral or in gear) If you put it in neutral and free rev it, it vibrates pretty bad at 3000 rpm (eliminates drive shaft and rear end) . When driving, if you go to 5th which keeps the rpms lower, its smooth but yes vibrates throughout gear changes as mostly I hit 3 grad before I change. The clutch pedal is super stiff and it has like a bark sound sound when you're letting off the clutch. These cars should be zero balance on the clutch and flywheel. I've read some bad stories about Spec clutches and how they're not zero balanced. The car is so immaculate that this is still a manor problem even if I have to pull the tranny and replace the flywheel and clutch. The new paint job alone is worth what I paid for the car not to mention the PO filled the trunk and back seat up with extra parts including a new SCT hand tuner with lifetime tunes. :)

Just to throw this out there. I'm looking for a set of SVO side skirt (I know I'm probably not going to find any) for the new Mystic. I also have a 95 Cobra R hood and Saleen wing to put on Misty (this is her new name) lol

Edited by laddanator

all I was thinking when I opened it was - hopefully the problems are not paint related.... Motor crap that is all fixable but get a good ding/scratch/f-up and the world is over....

I totally agree with ya! lol The main reason I bought this car is the new BASF mystic paint job the car received just a couple of years ago. The body and paint are mint! I can get another motor way cheaper than I can repaint the car. I'm going to pull the tranny tomorrow.

it may sound dumb but check your exhaust too to make sure it's not touching any part of the car. it's possible the exhaust is moving enough to touch the chassis. harmonic balancer is also a good start.

as for the idle hangle. sounds like the T/B is not adjusted correctly or you have a vacuum leak when you put it on. Bob Kurgan had to adjust my t/b when he tuned my car because the T/B Blade was not fully closing as it should have. Causes an idle hang problem if not corrected. but a vacuum leak is just as likely though.

damn new mystic hell yea I would be all over it. Take it home and rub it with a diaper who the hell needs a motor?

Lol! The PO was telling how the he had to fill out a request form for the paint at the Ford place and a man from BASF had to come out and verify it was a true Mystic. The BASF rep also had to supervise to make sure the paint only went on that car. That's completely nuts! I looked at 5 Mystic before I pulled the trigger on the one I got. It only has 50 thousand on the clock now. I could have got one with 30 on the clock but the paint was 17 years old and I knew it would soon need a paint job.

it may sound dumb but check your exhaust too to make sure it's not touching any part of the car. it's possible the exhaust is moving enough to touch the chassis. harmonic balancer is also a good start.

as for the idle hangle. sounds like the T/B is not adjusted correctly or you have a vacuum leak when you put it on. Bob Kurgan had to adjust my t/b when he tuned my car because the T/B Blade was not fully closing as it should have. Causes an idle hang problem if not corrected. but a vacuum leak is just as likely though.

I was pointed to link about BBK 65mm TB. This seems to be an issue with the BBK 65mm

http://mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35470

I am going to check the exhaust deal and change out the damper in the morning before I pull the tranny. Still need to pull the tranny regardless becasue that Spec 2+ clutch sucks! Thanks for the advice on the exhaust.

Good news update!

I pulled the transmission and the shitty Spec parts. Installed a new pilot bearing, resurfaced stock flywheel, Centerforce DF clutch, Ford TOB and my rebuilt Zak (The T45 Source) T45 tranny. Had the flywheel and clutch check for zero balance,which they were and put Mysty back together and NO MORE VIBRATION!!! LOL I also got rid of the BBK TB for now and installed a working one stock one from my old Cobra but now I have a Idle surge problem.

Good news update!

I pulled the transmission and the shitty Spec parts. Installed a new pilot bearing, resurfaced stock flywheel, Centerforce DF clutch, Ford TOB and my rebuilt Zak (The T45 Source) T45 tranny. Had the flywheel and clutch check for zero balance,which they were and put Mysty back together and NO MORE VIBRATION!!! LOL I also got rid of the BBK TB for now and installed a working one stock one from my old Cobra but now I have a Idle surge problem.

Glad to see you got the vibration all worked out!! I'd be interested to know what specifically it was that was causing the vibration but if it's gone now then it's in the past!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Glad to see you got the vibration all worked out!! I'd be interested to know what specifically it was that was causing the vibration but if it's gone now then it's in the past!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The 96 and up has to have neutral balanced Flywheel and such. I've read almost nothing but horror stories about Spec products and vibration. I'm willing to bet I could take the Spec stuff to my balance shop and it would have weight on it and would not zero out.

my guess is a missing weight on the flywheel or it was just out of balance completely. Glad you fixed it!

I agree. Never liked an aftermarket Flywheel. I guess they're ok if you race but I'm not a racer. I almost never had my last Cobra over 4 grand except after the tune from a supercharger install. I baby my stuff so stock replacement flywheel works for me! :)