Number Tew

Aluminum Driveshaft Question

Ok, so I talked myself into it.

Rundown:

We all know I have a V6 turd, so it has the 7.5

Buying an 8.8 from my coworker that has bent axle tubes (I believe) Shops around here can straighten the tubes out and weld onto them to beef them up. I'll be building the rear end a little, 4.10's, fresh seals/bearings and a t-lok rebuild. the usual.

Have tossed around the idea of a new cover, what cover would you reccomend for added durability.

And finally, if I have the 8.8 do I get the v8 driveshaft? Or do I still get the V6. If it is the V6 can someone find one, AM used to have them, but now it's like they're hidden.

I just need to get the right schtuff.

This ought to wake her up quite a bit.

I would recommend running the FRPP Diff Cover. I picked one up and it's going in Tuesday. It's a solid piece and a lot ticker than the OEM cover.

FRPP sells an aluminum driveshaft as well for the 8.8 so I would assume that is what you would have to get.

Links:

FRPP Diff Cover

Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft

There is another place that sells the D.S cheaper then summit, I think its late model resto. That diff cover is a nice one, anything like that or a trick flow or Moser one is all excellent

I just like to overbuild stuff, I don't want it to break. My buddy runs a 9 second car on stock axles, so I'll probably just get stock axles haha.

I just want it to be nice. I know those 4.10's are going to wake up my 2nd and 3rd sooo much

There is always a Diff Girdle for $149 on Summit. I think it's the Moser one right now. If you're going to spend the money, you might as well get a girdle. The TA Performance Girdle is a little more money, but it gives you a little more clearance if you have an aftermarket sway bar.

Kurt

Is a girdle essentially what I'm calling the cover? Or is that a cover with the studs in it? Sorry to seem naiive.

This, I've always heard them called different things but assumed it was just different terms for the same part. My reasoning is if you click on the FRPP Diff Cover link I posted it is listed as "Product Line - Ford Racing Axle Girdles"

I see what you're saying, I was just making sure it wasn't something internal I needed to get. Like I said, I'm going for reliability, able to withstand mild launches on occasion. I know stock could handle it, but I'd prefer beefed up a bit.

I really appreciate the input.

Can someone explain the difference in the v6 and v8 driveshafts? The main thing is, I'm building this rear in full, when I change it out, my goal is to drop the old one, and buckle the new one in. Maybe change the LCA's while i'm in there as well.

I want it to be a one day job, so I just don't want any major snags day of haha!

There isn't a difference in the driveshafts except you can upgrade to the FRPP one. If you go to the link I posted you can click on the applications tab and see it will work with the 7.5 and 8.8 so unless they have it wrong then it should work.

I just know AM used to offer two completely different part numbers for the v6 d/s and the v8 d/s That's why I was nervous =/

Hmm... good point. I'm not sure if anyone at AM would ACTUALLY know if they were different in any way. For example on Summit I ordered a clutch for my car but it says it'll work on 93 and below cars but there isn't anything different between those and mine (IIRC). Then I found a clutch that is listed for my '95 and all the specs are identical expect for the price & part number.....

So I'm hoping the DS will work for either car.... I can't honestly say yes or no though..... Sorry.

I just like to overbuild stuff, I don't want it to break. My buddy runs a 9 second car on stock axles, so I'll probably just get stock axles haha.

I just want it to be nice. I know those 4.10's are going to wake up my 2nd and 3rd sooo much

all depends on what your doing with it and what you use with it. Example.... Drag radials are harder on axles and the rear end more so then slicks. DR's have a stiff side wall and that sudden "Shock" on the drive line at launch is more likely to break an axle then launching off a slick. A lot of people think its the other way around b/c slicks bite harder but they have a soft side wall and they wrinkle, all that power is transferred through the slick and to the ground which equals more traction.

I totally agree with Venom on this one. Spend the money on forged axles. If nothing else, it will make the axle more valuable if you ever want to sell it. There is no point in taking it apart for a gear change, spending all that money, and then throwing the stock axles back in there. I would also put the long Moroso studs if you can get them to work with your wheels. 28 spline Mosers and Reliables are only like $230. There is also a provision for the ABS Reluctor you need to check on.

Kurt

I just know AM used to offer two completely different part numbers for the v6 d/s and the v8 d/s That's why I was nervous =/

for the v6 I ran the 79-95 5.0 driveshaft. it's meant for the t5 and went right in without changing anything. you'll be fine.

I honestly don't think there is any difference in the driveshafts, but I'm not positive. If you have a finite budget and need to choose, I would spend the money on the axles instead of the driveshaft. If you pick up the car from the rear, and leave the front wheels on the ground, you can get the driveshaft out without leaking transmission fluid.

Kurt

Can someone explain the difference in the v6 and v8 driveshafts? The main thing is, I'm building this rear in full, when I change it out, my goal is to drop the old one, and buckle the new one in. Maybe change the LCA's while i'm in there as well.

I want it to be a one day job, so I just don't want any major snags day of haha!

Im pretty sure they are the same but the autos have a diff. yoke than the manuals.

I totally agree with Venom on this one. Spend the money on forged axles. If nothing else, it will make the axle more valuable if you ever want to sell it. There is no point in taking it apart for a gear change, spending all that money, and then throwing the stock axles back in there. I would also put the long Moroso studs if you can get them to work with your wheels. 28 spline Mosers and Reliables are only like $230. There is also a provision for the ABS Reluctor you need to check on.

Kurt

a lot of people put in the hardened 28 spline axles which I guess is fine if you dont want to spend the money to upgrade your differential but the ford racing limited slip 31 spline unit is $250 and Ive beaten the hell out of mine since I have owned it. And you can always replace the clutch packs in it if necessary.

If your gonna spend the money why not buy a detroit true trac and never worry about changing clutch packs? Its 100% mechanical and its the shit...you could probably pick one up used for 300-350 used, I think they are a bit over 400 new but at least you will never have 1 tire fire, ever, ever.

Might as well do it right, detroit true trac and 31 splines man.

All those recommendations aren't unwarranted, but you can spend money into oblivion. I'm trying to be consistent with the fact that this is a V6 car. For reference, the only thing I ever did to my rear end is change the gear ratio, and put the hardened 28 spline Moser axles in it. I'm guessing that I have probably launched the car on slicks hard enough to get the front wheels off the ground about 50 times. My original traction lock is finally starting to slip a little, but given the amount of abuse the original one took, I see no reason not to just repack it and go another 17 years. The last time I had slicks on the car I was launching it hard on the street on the bottle, and it was hooking dead with 631ftlbs of torque at the wheels.

The reason I recommend going ahead and spending the money on axles and studs is because those have to come out to pull the differential anyway. I know there are plenty of people using stock axles, but they are hit or miss. I've seen guys do 200 passes on slicks with stock axles, and I've seen cars break the axles the first time at the track on drag radials. The manufacturing precision on them just doesn't give you a level of dependability to make that decision.

A Detroit truetrac is nice, but it comes with some undesirable driving characteristics. The stock locker is going to hook just fine on your car.

Kurt

Alright, from what I've gathered then.

I can use a 5.0 aluminum d/s if there's a difference between it and the 4.6 at all.

I may or may not upgrade to the 31 spline axles, the most this car will ever see is 400 or so, and that's if I decide to boost it, for now, I'm having fun n/a.

I'll take the advice and go ahead and upgrade the axles regardless, and explain more on the long studs please. What's the benefit exactly? I do have hubcentric spacers, is that an issue?

I was planning on getting a Ford T-Lok rebuild kit, unless I upgrade to the 31, either way, I don't need a Detroit locker, it's a daily driven car, I don't wanna be hopping around turns haha :)

The feedback is great guys!

Like I said, I don't wanna worry about it breaking.

Will 275 slicks fit on an 8" wheel, I know the side wall will be bubbling a lot but from what I've been told that's good for slicks?

It's not a drag car, but I will fun it a few times. It's more being built for road courses, and spirited driving through turns ;p

Will 275 slicks fit on an 8" wheel, I know the side wall will be bubbling a lot but from what I've been told that's good for slicks?

It's not a drag car, but I will fun it a few times. It's more being built for road courses, and spirited driving through turns ;p

the yokes are different on 5.0/4.6 driveshafts. it's due to the use of t45 instead of t5. Different yoke lengths iirc.

Gotcha....depends on the sidewall size, I had a 10.5 inch slick on a 7 inch wheel for example, 15 inch. A 275 should be no problem on a 8 inch wheel.