blwnbyu

What ignition box is everyone running?

I'm currently rewiring my engine bay and am thinking about ditching my MSD BTM and going with a regular MSD box because I have a tune now. Is it worth it to run anything other than a 6AL-2? I think I only really need the soft touch rev limiter and thats about it. I just want something that works with 12# of boost and is RELIABLE>>>

if you have the tune already, you don't need the BTM (hopefully the tune does that!).

I haven't used the 6AL2, so I couldn't tell you. another thing to consider would be a mallory box - some of them are digital and have a bunch of features. I know my buddy runs the mallory box in his drag car.

you could sell the BTM to fund a new box. do your homework - maybe something is out there that you can scoop up on the cheap!

The features are what should help you make your decision. the BTM is already giving you a hotter / multiple spark - so the actual spark gains will be minimal if any.

I'm still unclear when an ignition box is actually needed, or whether it's just optional.

I don't run one and haven't had any issues whatsoever. My tuner said I didn't need one and the car runs just fine, it actually made too much power at first... I've often wondered if I would actually benefit from adding a box enough to justify the cost. I'd think that if I needed one, the issue would have come up by now with a procharged 347 lol.

The logic is there to when to need one. Bigger spark burns a little better makes more power. It's a small amount, with efi now the 02 sensor will adjust fuel to have a decent burn to have the correct a/f. I use a 6al2 just for the limiter. When I was SCT before I went hp efi, stock limiter was too low of an rpm and hitting it cut fuel and dropped rpms 800 rpm ish and was dangerous doing a pull spinning tire, would tag limiter and fuel cut then traction then spin again then fuel cut traction, was bad. Plus spark cut you can shoot nasty flame balls on 2 step and flat shifting gears. The 6al2 I have with a hvc 6 coil works well up to like a low 9 sec car with 800 wheel after that go to 7 series. I have all 7 series shit ready if I deem it necessary after getting car fully tuned after paint is done, been at the body shop 3 weeks... Surprised how long it's taking myself

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram @rolocut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSD=Might Suddenly Die/My Spark Disappeared

Get another brand.  I had great luck with the Crane HI-6 stuff and it was put together a million times better than the MSD box I had.  That damn MSD box looked like a 6 yr old hot glued it together on the inside which was probably the case honestly...  The Crane unit was under 1/2 the size and made 0 noise so no buzzing when it was under the seat.  

I still have my BTM wired in but I did pick up a new 6AL-2 that I'm considering putting in. The BTM is about 10 years old so it may actually be a GOOD one compared to their later on crap.. I just want the Rev limiter so I'm considering selling the BTM. I really should have looked at Crane because I'm fully aware of MSD's reliability issues. 

• Supporting Member

Used an MSD 6AL while running 6, then 9, and eventually 13 lbs of bewst for roughly 7 years and never had to replace it. Worked great and never dealt with spark issues. I look at it as insurance and had the 6200 RPM pill in. Why not?

Curious.. WhEre do you have it mounted and what kind of driving does your car typically endure?

Used to have it mounted \/   moved it under the rear seat delete now that the new set up is going in. Ive had a few crap out over the years in different locations and different cars. The last one died right when I was pulling it over for a feature shoot with modified fords, luckly Mustangs Unlimited had a booth there and a 6al on hand lol. There known for quality issues

IMG_0003_zps7c09887c.jpg

• Supporting Member

Used to have it mounted \/   moved it under the rear seat delete now that the new set up is going in. Ive had a few crap out over the years in different locations and different cars. The last one died right when I was pulling it over for a feature shoot with modified fords, luckly Mustangs Unlimited had a booth there and a 6al on hand lol. There known for quality issues

IMG_0003_zps7c09887c.jpg

Yeah I have hears multiple horror stories over the years and in my nerdy quest to discover if there is a reason I consistently ask people where and how. I must admit mine is still going strong so it made me wonder why every single person I know has gone through multiple. I didnt figure I did anything ground breaking so I am trying to find the link between if/when they fail how they were mounted and used. Did you use any dampening material when it was mounted? I am curious to see how long the current one lasts inside your vehicle. 

Yeah I have hears multiple horror stories over the years and in my nerdy quest to discover if there is a reason I consistently ask people where and how. I must admit mine is still going strong so it made me wonder why every single person I know has gone through multiple. I didnt figure I did anything ground breaking so I am trying to find the link between if/when they fail how they were mounted and used. Did you use any dampening material when it was mounted? I am curious to see how long the current one lasts inside your vehicle. 

yup used the rubber dampners that came with it like I always do. I think its just luck of the draw maybe you have a wednesday box lol

• Moderators

Pretty sure MSD moved production to China sometime in the last 10 years, which is when quality took a shit.  I have a 6AL in my 66 GT that still works fine, granted the car doesn't run right now for other reasons lol.

• Supporting Member

Pretty sure MSD moved production to China sometime in the last 10 years, which is when quality took a shit.  I have a 6AL in my 66 GT that still works fine, granted the car doesn't run right now for other reasons lol.

Valid. I know mine was riiiiiight around that time when I purchased it. Want to say it was either 2005 or 2006..

I bought a 6A box in 2003.  Made a high pitched noise from day 1 and failed a year later.  Everyone told me their 6A/6AL made the same noise though...  Crane HI-6 that replaced it was less than 1/2 the size, machine soldered circuit boards, dead silent and is still going strong as far as I know.  I sold the car in 2011.  

I'm going with a Hi-6 when this one dies.  I one of the first Digital 6s when it came out in 97' I believe.  The Hi-6 was on back order and I couldn't get one.  They have been crapping out on me for over a decade, so their lack of reliability goes way before the China days.  I was lucky enough to be in a position where I was able to warranty out 3 Digital 6s in a row.

Kurt

Well, I bought the 6AL-2 and it's mounted on the fender on rubber mounts. We'll see how it does.. I mainly wanted it because I set the limiter to 5500 rpm lol.

Setting limiter really low for any particular reason

Instagram @rolocut

Ohh, I just looked over your build thread I could of sworn you had a 363 but now I see it's 3-4 months away. Def a good looking set up, I like white, next one i do will be white.

Instagram @rolocut

Ohh, I just looked over your build thread I could of sworn you had a 363 but now I see it's 3-4 months away. Def a good looking set up, I like white, next one i do will be white.

Instagram @Rolocut

Yeah, I put this combo together so I could work on the tune without being worried about hurting the new motor. Glad I did it this way. It'll still make some great power with the 302.  Definitely gonna play it safe and keep the rpms down, but hoping to spin the 363 to around 6800

Yeah, I put this combo together so I could work on the tune without being worried about hurting the new motor. Glad I did it this way. It'll still make some great power with the 302. Definitely gonna play it safe and keep the rpms down, but hoping to spin the 363 to around 6800

Yeah, sounds like it will be cool. What you doing for compression, blower and cam?

Instagram @rolocut

Yeah, sounds like it will be cool. What you doing for compression, blower and cam?

Instagram @Rolocut

Ugh... I've been meaning to ask you about the swap to fox accessories... I really didn't want to swap to a YSI, but now I'm thinking more about.. Compression right now will be 9,5 but it's not too late to drop it to 9,0 yet. I was planning on switching to a polished t trim.  I want to make the most power possible on pump and meth.  

Ugh... I've been meaning to ask you about the swap to fox accessories... I really didn't want to swap to a YSI, but now I'm thinking more about.. Compression right now will be 9,5 but it's not too late to drop it to 9,0 yet. I was planning on switching to a polished t trim. I want to make the most power possible on pump and meth.

Ysi is in a league of it's own. If your using pump and meth like me, you should be good with 10-10.5 compression. But it depends on type of cam you use. T trim is very old school. The new ti trim will make 750-900 wheel and is rated for 1100 horse. Ysi rated for 1200 horse...

Little secret is vortech is coming out with a new ysi mid year this year to compete with the f1x. I'm trying to get one of first ones for testing.

Anything you need to know about fox accessories let me know. The fox accessories are about 2.25 inches further forward then sn so it gets cramped. I moved rad forward 2 inches then put a nice fan shroud on with low pro fan and it fixed my issues. Motor is also set one inch back. It's a crap shoot which can only be solved by trial and error. Amazing thing is that the fox set up hides alternator down low. Bad thing is fox power steering pump is uglier then my grandmas feet and it's front and center.

Also use vortechs pulley size calculator. It's really important with the non race chargers not to over spin due to the cheaper bearings. It will come apart and make a mess in short time if you do.

I'm over spinning my ys about 9000 rpms at 7800 rpms. I have a ysi but I wasent going to put it on, was saving it for the other motor, and from

What I read it's about 50 wheel and 2.5 psi better with a ysi. If I don't meet my goal in march it may go on until vortech comes out with the new one.

Instagram @rolocut

Ysi is in a league of it's own. If your using pump and meth like me, you should be good with 10-10.5 compression. But it depends on type of cam you use. T trim is very old school. The new ti trim will make 750-900 wheel and is rated for 1100 horse. Ysi rated for 1200 horse...

Little secret is vortech is coming out with a new ysi mid year this year to compete with the f1x. I'm trying to get one of first ones for testing.

Anything you need to know about fox accessories let me know. The fox accessories are about 2.25 inches further forward then sn so it gets cramped. I moved rad forward 2 inches then put a nice fan shroud on with low pro fan and it fixed my issues. Motor is also set one inch back. It's a crap shoot which can only be solved by trial and error. Amazing thing is that the fox set up hides alternator down low. Bad thing is fox power steering pump is uglier then my grandmas feet and it's front and center.

Also use vortechs pulley size calculator. It's really important with the non race chargers not to over spin due to the cheaper bearings. It will come apart and make a mess in short time if you do.

I'm over spinning my ys about 9000 rpms at 7800 rpms. I have a ysi but I wasent going to put it on, was saving it for the other motor, and from

What I read it's about 50 wheel and 2.5 psi better with a ysi. If I don't meet my goal in march it may go on until vortech comes out with the new one.

Instagram @Rolocut

Can you tell me more about the Ti trim?  I really don't want to convert to fox if I don't have to and I already have a one off billet blower bracket for an S or T trim.  I'm hoping to be able to spin the hell out of a T to meet my goals. If its not enough, I can always upgrade later.  I can't seem to find any info on a Ti besides the V1 Ti which vortech is showing only good to 825 still

Can you tell me more about the Ti trim? I really don't want to convert to fox if I don't have to and I already have a one off billet blower bracket for an S or T trim. I'm hoping to be able to spin the hell out of a T to meet my goals. If its not enough, I can always upgrade later. I can't seem to find any info on a Ti besides the V1 Ti which vortech is showing only good to 825 still

Google v2 ti trim. It was revealed at sema. Contact bob kurgan to get your hands on one. In testing guys produced just shy of 1000 rwhp with a 363 .700 lift solid roller 10.3-1 motor. It would be a good in between blower. Ysi will fit on an sn just need to make a custom alternator support bracket that's beefy and a strut brave from strut tower to blower to use the sn style mounts. I was contemplating making two turn buckles, one to go from strut tower to blower then replaced the alternator mount with a turn buckle to help with belt tension. Then I just spent the money on fox twin plate and blower brace from kurgan and called it a day.

Instagram @rolocut

The Ti is PERFECT~ I can't believe Vortech is so bad about announcing stuff. I don't understand why it's not on their site yet?

Quite honestly no one understands why it's not on site yet.

Instagram @rolocut

With fox brackets? Or on the sn

Instagram @Rolocut

Fox. I just sold a billet fox ps bracket lol. Oh well. It'll take me awhile to get everything together. Gonna do the fuel system next.

Sick! Good luck finding a pass side ysi kit used. Will be tough. I have a drivers side ysi kit sitting here for my other motor, got such a good deal on it new but idk if I'll meet my goals with it. But ysi is a bad bitch lol. A lot more hurdles ahead though with fox brackets. Need low pro fan shroud and fan along with possibly moving forward

Instagram @rolocut

Sick! Good luck finding a pass side ysi kit used. Will be tough. I have a drivers side ysi kit sitting here for my other motor, got such a good deal on it new but idk if I'll meet my goals with it. But ysi is a bad bitch lol. A lot more hurdles ahead though with fox brackets. Need low pro fan shroud and fan along with possibly moving forward

Instagram @Rolocut

I've been seeing them all over the corral.. There was a BRAND NEW one a few weeks ago that sold for $2700...    The ti trim would cost me that much, so fuck it.. I have no problem switching rads and shoving it in the core support deeper. I've already removed everything else..  I would like to look into puller fans, which would free up a ton of room. 

I HATE the fox PS bracket but then I remembered I can use the march style billet ones, which look really good. I had bought them in December to see if I could get it to work with SN accessories, but there was no way, so I sold them.. I'll just pick another one up. Don't have A/C so that's not an issue.. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you, since you've already been there.  I'd really like to keep the stock eec, but most of the guys want you to go blowthru at those power levels, which isn't possible on a passenger mount non intercooled ysi.. UGh.. SO much to figure out..

If I run an electric water pump, I don't need the idler pulley do I?  I need to look at some of your pics with the engine complete but sitting on the stand. 

I've been seeing them all over the corral.. There was a BRAND NEW one a few weeks ago that sold for $2700... The ti trim would cost me that much, so fuck it.. I have no problem switching rads and shoving it in the core support deeper. I've already removed everything else.. I would like to look into puller fans, which would free up a ton of room.

I HATE the fox PS bracket but then I remembered I can use the march style billet ones, which look really good. I had bought them in December to see if I could get it to work with SN accessories, but there was no way, so I sold them.. I'll just pick another one up. Don't have A/C so that's not an issue.. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you, since you've already been there. I'd really like to keep the stock eec, but most of the guys want you to go blowthru at those power levels, which isn't possible on a passenger mount non intercooled ysi.. UGh.. SO much to figure out..

If I run an electric water pump, I don't need the idler pulley do I? I need to look at some of your pics with the engine complete but sitting on the stand.

Lol any questions you need answered make a list up. If you run an electric water pump, you will have major belt slip issues due to belt wrap on the crank will be nothing. Been through all this. Spent prob 10 hours trying up design idlers and tensioners to make it work but could not.

Instagram @rolocut