scottydsntknow

Upgrading the Computo

For any other system builders out there, might find this interesting.  I'm sure I'll get a few "this thread is pants" pics from ppl who this is all greek to lol.  

Anyway,

Starting with:

Gigabyte 880 chipset AMD Motherboard

AMD Thuban 1055t 6 core @2.8ghz

Radeon 4850

WD 1TB 7200rpm drive

8 gigs Mushkin DDR 1333

Corsair 650w PSU

Zalman aftermarket CPU cooler

Upgraded to:

ADATA 256 SSD for primary drive

58d864ad-a20d-45df-9a80-a5c3242bdb7a_zps

Powercolor Radeon 7850 2 gig ram card OC'd from the factory to 1000/1200 @1.219 volts

IMG_20131214_144036_922_zpsdbeb895b.jpg

Score only went up by 2k points from 3700 on the old 4850 to 5700 in 3dmark 11 wtf?  Clocked the processor up to 3.5 and it jumped to 6800 and then ran into stability issues with the CPU clock ugh...  

Decided to order a second card since they are being discontinued and two of them in a crossfire will outperform a single GTX680 for half the price.  At least in benchmarks anyway...

IMG_20131226_162649_954_zpsseovqtlr.jpg

Score jumped to 10,000+ on my latest benchmark and the second card is only in a x4 slot.  However, I keep blue screening at 3.5 randomly.  I can run a stress test for 2 hours in OCCT and pass and then crash browsing the interwebs.  Either a RAM or VRM issue on the mobo so replacing both.  From my research this RAM I have is really bad for any sort of tweaking although it passed all tests in Memtest and Super Pi so I'm assuming its the mobo.  Wife needs to get upgraded from 4 to 8 gigs anyway so its a good excuse to buy some Crucial gaming ram.  She actually should get a SSD for her comp too, a cheap 64 gig should be totally fine for her.  

Anyway, new mobo is an ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 which has dual x16 GPU slots (and a x4 as well although I'll never use it) and the new 990 chipset is tits.  I also know the SSD is good because I ran it for 3 months with 0 issues in my laptop.  Changed it out with a 120 gig Kingston HyperX for the laptop and still have 40 gigs of free space even with all the games my laptop can run loaded onto it.  

So new combo will be:

ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 AMD Motherboard

Thuban 1055t clocked to 4.0ghz x6 (286x14 @1.45 volts)

ADATA 256GB SSD (system/games)

WD 1TB 7200rpm drive (storage)

Dual Radeon 7850 2 gig cards in crossfire

8 Gigs Crucial DDR1600

Corsair 650W PSU

Still waiting for the board/ram from Newegg, they are starting to be slower than they used to be... Tiger had my stuff to me in 2 days during the holiday rush but their selection/interface is crap compared to Newegg.  Probably because I used the free shipping option lol.  Will post pics/benchmarks when done.  And if wondering why I am not upgrading the CPU or going with an Intel, well... AMD honestly has not really made a better processor yet.  Many of the current 6 cores are not true 6 cores and the "octas" are only technically quad cores with extra threads.  The Thuban I have is a processor known to go to 4.0 no problem but my current mobo/ram is bad at overclocking.  This new stuff should let me get there no problem, at least it SHOULD... you know how that goes.  

I was going to build a new system but since I stepped away from WoW... again and the only MMO's I play, well when I feel like playing are all FTP I just don't feel the need to anymore.  My PS4 has keep me happy.  I will still build the wife a new system once her Dell goes out and maybe the kids but right now I just don't have the desire any more.

I play a little more graphically intensive games.  Skyrim is one that everyone always says "omg great graphics" but honestly the graphics are ass until you load a bunch of mods to fix textures/lighting/ambience/volumetric weather effects etc...  With near 200 mods, my 4850 was not cutting it and the single 7850 was still bogging in high traffic areas of that game.  The dual setup was getting over 45fps in even the craziest of areas while it was stable so I feel with the dual x16 slots and an even higher processor clock I should hit that magic 60fps number or close to it in all areas of my high end games.  

I play a little more graphically intensive games.  Skyrim is one that everyone always says "omg great graphics" but honestly the graphics are ass until you load a bunch of mods to fix textures/lighting/ambience/volumetric weather effects etc...  With near 200 mods, my 4850 was not cutting it and the single 7850 was still bogging in high traffic areas of that game.  The dual setup was getting over 45fps in even the craziest of areas while it was stable so I feel with the dual x16 slots and an even higher processor clock I should hit that magic 60fps number or close to it in all areas of my high end games.  

NICE!!

I have never been so lost reading a thread.....like ever.....

Lol ppl I try to explain all this car stuff I do give me the same reaction.  I like building all my own stuff.  I see ppl pay $2k-$3k for Alienware gaming computers.  I am basically doing a re-hash of my PC that will be in the $500-$600 range and able to run all the newest stuff at max settings for that price point.

Some terms here as a glossary:

-PSU is a Power supply.  Basically an internal "brick" that has a bunch of cables on it that go to various parts of the motherboard.

-The motherboard is the "chassis", everything connects to it and everything runs information though it.  It generally has slots for graphics cards and other add on cards although some are very bare bones and have basic video/audio integrated into them so you don't need anything else.  

-The CPU is the processor or the engine.  It processes all the information and the more cores it has and the faster it runs the faster your computer can go.  AMD is the other processor maker versus Intel.  Intels are more powerful but AMDs are MUCH better for the money and way better for gaming where most games rely more heavily on the graphics card(s).  You can get a great AMD processor and a great graphics card for the same price as a good Intel processor.  Some of the i7 Intels cost upwards of $1k.  I can get a really good AMD processor and a GTX680 for 3/4 of that price.  

-GPU is the Graphics Card.  If you want to run anything more than internet/movies/office you need a decent dedicated graphics card.  I have two mid/high level ones that are what is called "crossfired" or "SLI" together.  Basically its hooking two identical cards together (or ones similar enough depending on the series) and letting them work together to give you much better graphical performance.  

-RAM stands for "random access memory" and is what allows you to have 10 tabs of browsers open, 4 programs and all the other stuff running in the background.  It basically deals with everything you are not saving directly to the drive.  The more you have the faster your system will run to a point.  For a gaming rig/basic home rig you do not need more than 8 gigs since current games can't use more than 4 gigs.  For a CAD machine or someone doing a lot of rendering or video editing you will need more.  They are also rated at different speeds like DDR1333 means "dual data rate 1333mhz" etc...  

-When I say OC I mean "overclock".  This means running my 2.8ghz processor at 4.0 ghz for example.  At stock it is set to a 200mhz FSB (front side bus) and a 14 multiplier.  200x14=2800mhz or 2.8ghz.  When I set the FSB to 286 it jumps the total clock speed to 4004mhz or 4.004ghz.  I have what is called a locked multiplier unfortunately btw, this means I can't go higher than x14.  For more money you can often get a "black edition" at least with AMD which means the multiplier is unlocked.  In that case I would just do 200x20 and boom right to 4.0 without having to adjust anything else (which I won't get into).  Well, just the voltage.  If you increase the speed it needs more juice to remain stable.  I will need around 1.45-1.50 to keep my shit stable at 4.0ghz which is right at the limits of what it can safely handle.  With the big copper finned cooler I have on it it should be fine though.  

-SSD=solid state drive.  These are great because they are literally huge flash drives with no moving parts.  A regular HDD (hard drive) is a bunch of little discs that spin at a certain RPM (most are 5400-7200) to read/write data.  This is slow as balls compared to the near instant read/write speeds of a SSD.  You can have the fastest holy shit yoga balls out rig running a regular HDD and a budget Acer running a SSD will seem like its faster when just banging around the interwebs or running a bunch of office programs or whatever.  The only bad thing is that in 3-4 years they will start to deteriorate which is fine because they are not expensive and most ppl have a second normal HDD like I do to store anything important and backup things.  I use my SSD only for my system and my games.  EVERYTHING else is saved on the 1TB HDD and I backup REALLY important stuff to the cloud.  

And then you get into other stuff like chipsets, Hypertransfer speeds, benchmarking, liquid cooling (and nitrogen if you are nuts), dual rail power supplies etc... etc...  

Old mobo on the way out.  Good riddance.

IMG_20140109_211122_667_zps6shog1jx.jpg

Sexy new one in.

IMG_20140109_214044_161_zpsveacqgog.jpg

Still one of, if not THE best processor AMD has made.  True 6 core, clocks to 4.0+ no problem on stock cooling.  My cooler is obviously not stock but I am not going to push it.  

IMG_20140109_220000_683_zpswqgoffbj.jpg

Boom goes the dynamite

IMG_20140109_230655_045_zpsig3pu3sa.jpg

Only issue is I accidentally ordered a 1x8GB stick of DDR1600 vs 2x4GB.  Which means I'm probably just going to order another stick and go to 16GB.  New games coming out now are starting to utilize 64bit because the consoles now support it.  There is no reason games like Skyrim couldn't have been 64 bit except they had to be PS3/Xbox360 friendly.  Oh well.  New CoD requires 6 and recommends 8 so I might as well get 16 to get ahead.  

similar to my computer. Ill get exact specs once im done eating. Just some rough stuff out of my memory

16gb ram (forget the spec)

AMD phenom 2 6 core, aftermarket cooler (again, i forget)

forget the mobo and graphics cards off hand

its been a while since i built it lol

ok real life specs

Asus M4N98TD EVO mobo

AMD Phenom 2 X6 1100T Processor

(2) MSIN460GTX Cyclone 768D5 Graphics cards in SLI config

16GB DDR1333

120GB SSD primary drive

1TB secondary drive

Laser 1000 Watt PS

Random coolers all over the place

Not the most bad ass machine around, but its lasted me a while, and still plays every game that i want it to, and does super good with CAD programs. Your rig should be faster for sure :)

Was posting 3dmark 11 scores. 

And as far as this pile I call a computer... Got it to post at 4.0ghz but it would error out in OCCT at around 10 minutes.  I cranked the voltage up to 1.5 which is at the edge of the danger zone and it stopped blue screening but would still error out in OCCT.  It would NOT crash in 3DMark but dropping the speed to 3.6ghz did not affect any benchmarks and it would run OCCT for hours with 0 issues at 1.4 volts.  Going to leave it at 3.6ghz for the time being even though I could probably bump it to 3.7-3.9 and get it stable.  Next year if I start to get issues with running games I'll get a R9 series card and buy a new CPU on cyber monday.  For now I've got a combo that'll run any game and is faster than a motherfucker in all areas.  Dead cold system to ready to go is at the 10-15 second range and it can't open programs fast enough.  Only bump in the road is I accidentally ordered a single 8gb stick of Crucial DDR1600 isntead of 2x4GB.  However looking at the new games coming out like CoD Ghost that requires 64 bit/6gb of ram and recommends 8 gb... ordered a second stick to put me at 16gb to keep me ahead of the curve.  Newegg is sold out of course again but Tiger had my back.  Amazon had them too if I got in a bind but I'd rather patronize Newegg/TIger than some random asshole on Amazon that may take 3 days to ship and then another week to arrive... 

So final specs are:

ASRock 990fx Extreme 3 Mobo

AMD Thuban 1055t (true 6 core) clocked @258x14 for 3.6 ghz

Dual Radeon HD 7850 2GB cards crossfired in dual x16 slots

16GB DDR1600 Crucial RAM

Corsair 650W Power Supply

ADATA 256gb SSD (primary)

WD 1TB 7200RPM HDD (storage)

Microsoft Sidewinder X4 backlit keyboard

Gigabyte M6800 gaming mouse

Logitech Speakers/sub

ASUS 24" 16:9 Monitor

• Supporting Member

Was posting 3dmark 11 scores. 

Ahhh ok I have never run that benchmark. I should give it a shot on my hack and see how the mac and windows side deals with it...

Not bad, and the Thuban isn't a horrible chip to hang onto. Surprised you were having the issues keeping it stable.

My current setup.

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0

AMD FX-8350 (4.6ghz stable but looking to improve)

EVGA GTX-670 (1242 max boost clock)

Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866mhz

120gb Samsung 840 series ssd for operating system and games

1TB western digital 7200rpm hard drive for backup

All of this is watercooled inside a Coolermaster HAF XB case. If I'd stop tinkering with this thing I'd certainly have a few more bucks for the Mustang.

Not bad, and the Thuban isn't a horrible chip to hang onto. Surprised you were having the issues keeping it stable.

My current setup.

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0

AMD FX-8350 (4.6ghz stable but looking to improve)

EVGA GTX-670 (1242 max boost clock)

Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866mhz

120gb Samsung 840 series ssd for operating system and games

1TB western digital 7200rpm hard drive for backup

All of this is watercooled inside a Coolermaster HAF XB case. If I'd stop tinkering with this thing I'd certainly have a few more bucks for the Mustang.

Lol yeah for the price of all these upgrades I could have a brand new still in the wrap FR500 steering wheel.  But my OEM black wheel is still in really good shape and hard to justify the $500 for that...  Plus I have a guy near me who wants to trade me his 03 IRS for my SRA/steeda LCAs/shocks/struts and a little $$$ his way so there is that too.  Plus Redline has really nice steering wheel wraps now and installers who make them look OEM.  

At any rate I bet I could figure out a few more things to get that Thuban stable at 4.0 or at least 3.8 or 3.9 but I really don't see the point.  It blasts through all my games on ultra settings with those 2 GPUS overclocked some as well, programs almost fall over themselves they open so fast and I can imagine it'll only get better when my other stick of RAM comes in and I can be running at dual data rate again.  Also I like how its a legit true 6 core.  Aren't a lot of the new 6 and "octa core" processors not true 6-8 cores?  Something like a tri core and three extra pipes or some bullshit like that?

Next CPU project is the wife's though.  She's used mine a few times and is asking if I can make hers "go as fast".  Hers isn't exactly a slouch either, its a Phenom II dual core 3.2 ghz that I have never actually tried to unlock to a quad or overclock.  I'll bet that damn thing unlocks to a quad and clocks past 4ghz lol.  Then a small SSD for windows and she should be G2G for awhile.  All she does is websurf/videos/word/excel.  Onboard video ftw/cheap lol.  

Yea my 8 core is technically a 4 core with 4 virtual cores. There's a really good overclocking guide for the ASUS boards with UEFI-bios over on overclock.net. It's geared towards Bulldozer and Piledriver architecture chips, but some of it may be useful for you.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard/0_50

Here's some pics of mine running at night in it's current config. Re-doing the waterblock and the routing of the coolant. Also looking to replace these UV cold Cathode tubes with something a little brighter.

IMG_0895_zpsbcdd847b.jpg

IMG_0894_zpscee52dd0.jpg

Setup is pretty similar now, but this is back when I was running a pair of overclocked 1gb 560ti's.

IMG_20130417_204647_466_zps818ff9c9.jpg

and back before i put the cards underwater and before the UV lighting.

DSC01149_zps979721de.jpg

DSC01151_zps7d9ed25b.jpg

Jeebus that is a pretty cray cray setup...  I've always been interested in water cooling but I'm not THAT hardcore of a gamer.  This computer is in a finished basement that never gets very hot even in the summer.  Even at 4.0ghz it won't get near 60C on the torture test before it errors out at the 10-15 minute mark, GPUs also stay pretty cool and they are overvolted/overclocked as well.  That big Zalman copper cooler is no joke honestly and the side of my case has a pipe that runs almost right on top of it so it gets cool air direct from outside the case.  Then that big 120mm fan exhausts it all right out the back.  80mm fan I've set to full speed all the time and it blows onto the GPUs.  I like this mini tower and I will probably keep it for a long time. 

I also figured out that this motherboard had the load line calibration set for AM3+ and I needed to manually change it to AM3 which fixed my overclocking issues.  I could not even clock it to 3.4ghz before and I was losing my mind lol.  Still errors out at 4.0 though.  Increasing the voltage does buy me time so I think its just not getting enough juice.  At 1.5 it lasted around 15 minutes last time and I'm not pushing it further.  I honestly don't think on all 6 cores 4.0 vs 3.6 is going to make a huge difference.  

Thanks, but one afternoon on Overclock.net (especially the watercooling thread) and you'll see some really monster rigs. Quad Titans, 3990k's, quad SSD's in raid configuration, etc...

These AMD chips don't like to get warm at all, 60c on the chip itself is about as hot as you really want to get. My old 560ti's used to run in the 90c range on Furmark by comparison. The new Gtx 670 which is currently hooked to it's own dual 240mm length radiator won't get any hotter than 40c no matter what I do. Hoping that the cpu will stay closer to 40-50c under load with the added radiator and tying it in along with the larger front radiator now. 

The thing I like most about water cooling is the silence. Since my case is right up on top of my desk (only about 2 feet from me) it could get loud when it was air cooled. I'm hoping to finish the rigs rebuild tonight and get some updated photos.

Well clocked down to 3.6 and lower volts it runs pretty cool and doesn't make too much noise and half the time I have headsets on anyway.  

And is that actually water in there...  or is it mineral oil?  Probably a nooblet question but I'd be scared shitless to run water through my case.  Leak and done.  Also I'd worry about a pump failure.  At least on air if a fan goes out you still have the other fans and the passive cooling of the fins.  I do know that it does work much much better and the systems out now are pretty robust though. 

I mean I literally have NEVER looked into liquid cooling besides knowing how it functions and that it is probably overkill for me.  And yeah some setups you see on tomshardware and overclock look like they are $20k rigs... 

edited rant:

AMD is the better bang for the buck, intel is going to be THE BEST if money is no object.  The best i7s cost double the best AMDs and most users will not see any difference.  I will likely stay AMD unless some really amazing intel processor is out at the time I am looking to upgrade and the price is right.  For the time being I have zero reason to upgrade.   My Thuban will probably be fine for a good 2-3 years until I need to upgrade.

• Supporting Member
edited rant:AMD is the better bang for the buck, intel is going to be THE BEST if money is no object. The best i7s cost double the best AMDs and most users will not see any difference. I will likely stay AMD unless some really amazing intel processor is out at the time I am looking to upgrade and the price is right. For the time being I have zero reason to upgrade. My Thuban will probably be fine for a good 2-3 years until I need to upgrade.
That's fair. I do budget builds as well and have less than 900 into my intel build/hackintosh. I am dual booting and running windows 8 and osx mavericks. As far as I know you cannot run osx native on amd chipsets or I might play with that someday... My i5 3750k (k designated unlocked multiplier) was only 220 and it will likely last me quite a while. With stock cooling I've got it running 4.4 and with liquid u could run 4.5-4.7. Thing rips!
I roll AMD, i do love intel, but AMD pricing is more my style haha.
Makes sense! What is a standard amd build running nowadays? @Blackmage

I brought up the i5 before I edited my rant.  Those are the ones that are a GREAT bang for the buck and is a good benchmark to measure the high end AMD stuff against honestly.  If I was to build a "budget" intel rig today it would be that exact processor.  People get all hung up on having an i7 but honestly unless you are doing video editing or some craziness a higher end i5 like yours will be cheap and annihilate everything.  

A typical AMD build these days is a FX series "octa core" in the mid 4ghz range like a 4.5 or 4.7, 9xx series motherboard, 8-16 gigs of your choice of ram and a good higher end video card.  

I mean in the end its whatever you prefer.  For the money you can go faster with AMD but it really isn't noticeable for most people.  

Makes sense! What is a standard amd build running nowadays? @Blackmage

you talking $$$ wise?  well, that all depends.  You could spend $2-3k on a machine, or $2-300 on a machine. The price of a processor is minuscule compared to the rest of the stuff you need to buy :D

• Supporting Member

you talking $$$ wise?  well, that all depends.  You could spend $2-3k on a machine, or $2-300 on a machine. The price of a processor is minuscule compared to the rest of the stuff you need to buy :D

Yeah I understand that.. I guess my question better asked was what is a "typical" 4.0+ ghz processor, 8gb ddr3, 2gb ddr5 graphics card running.. very average setup type thing.. is it still just under a grand or are you talking only 4-500 bucks?

Ooooo pricewise.  Probably cost similar to your i5 setup honestly.  $250 for the proc, $120-$150 for the mobo and then whatever you paid for your ram/GPU/psu/fans etc...  And the price of the processor is not exactly cheap if you are looking at at top end i7 but compared to some of the prices ppl pay for other peripherals...  

• Supporting Member

Ooooo pricewise.  Probably cost similar to your i5 setup honestly.  $250 for the proc, $120-$150 for the mobo and then whatever you paid for your ram/GPU/psu/fans etc...  And the price of the processor is not exactly cheap if you are looking at at top end i7 but compared to some of the prices ppl pay for other peripherals...  

Ok so at that point its likely a preference then. Makes sense.. like i said I will likely stick with Intel but I hope I have a friend that wants windows only so I can get my hands dirty with AMD then. 

Threw in the second ram stick tonight, holy shit...  I thought my boot time was fast before.  My computer is under my desk.  After I installed the stick and buttoned it back up I hit the button to turn it on, turned around put the screwdriver back on the shelf and then when I turned around again to see how the boot was going it was already fully in windows.  Also simply adding the second stick took my 3dmark11 scores up by 1,000.  My graphics card score is 14,000 and my combined scores sometimes touches 10,000 so for a "budget" rig with a 4 year old processor that is totally fine.  

Wondering if one stick was messing up my 4ghz overclock.  I am going to crank it back up to 4.0 tonight and see what she does.  It was not overheating or blue screening at 4.0ghz, just failing OCCT.  

Also looking around at the FX processor vs the intel stuff...  Even knowing how good that i5 is I would be HARD pressed to spend the same money on it as a AMD 8 core I could crank up past 5ghz on air.  Although the newest big boy FX9xxx series AMDs are so power hungry.  220w processor socket...  damn...  might have to upgrade my mobo in a few years after all..,

That's my exact processor.  The locked one.  Have you tried to overclock it at all?  I kept hearing that the target is 4004mhz @286fsb x 14 and 1.475 volts but I can't get totally stable there yet.  Would have been easier to just have the 1090t unlocked thuban at 200fsb x 20 and let the ram/ht/nb all stay static.  

That is a nice setup btw.  

That's my exact processor.  The locked one.  Have you tried to overclock it at all?  I kept hearing that the target is 4004mhz @286fsb x 14 and 1.475 volts but I can't get totally stable there yet.  Would have been easier to just have the 1090t unlocked thuban at 200fsb x 20 and let the ram/ht/nb all stay static.  

That is a nice setup btw.  

Yaa i have it overclocked right now. i honestly dont remember what its at. I did it almost 2 years ago and its been running great so ive just kinda forgotten what its at.  I had it pushing over 4GHz at one point, but just didnt feel comfortable pushing it with the heat i was getting, if i remember correctly.  

Thanks, its not as nice as some of the other stuff on here, but with the SSD's, crossfired Radeon HD 5770's, and 16GB ram, it hums along very nicely. 

Yes it is water in there. Pump failure isn't a huge concern. Besides my processor has a cpu temp warning that pops up if i didn't notice that my temps were getting out of hand on my second monitor that runs tempurature monitoring software. There's a lot of products out there to help you with basic monitoring. Everything from pinwheels to provide instant information that the pumps are still moving water to systems that will control led light bars to change the color based on the cpu temp.

Tore apart the wife's computer today for cleaning, found a seized 120mm intake fan (awesome...) and a blanket of dust/crud.  Ugh... swapped the seized fan out with a good one and cleaned the hell out of everything else.  Also installed the 8gb of ram I took out of mine to bump her from 4 to 8 and then my hand me down video card which is a Radeon HD4850.  Not a bad little system for someone who just watches movies, uses office, internet and music...  Will be ordering a 64gb SSD and doing a fresh system install next week, messing with this thing on a regular platter drive makes me want to tear my hair out.  If your computer does not have a SSD you really owe it to yourself or whoever is using it to get one.  

IMG_20140122_132811_519_zpsagkjdlog.jpg

-AMD Phenom II Dual Core Callisto @3.2ghz

-Gigabyte 8xx series MicroATX mobo

-8GB Mushkin DDR1333

-WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD

-ASUS Radeon HD4850 GPU

-Corsair 500w PSU

Kind of want to load up steam and a few of my games on this and see if I can get her to play.  This computer is now more than capable of running current games on medium settings and older stuff on high/ultra.  This setup in my computer had 0 problems running Starcraft II on max settings.