kbscobravert

Aerocatch hood latch install

I am ditching the factory hood latch and loosing the upper core support.  In the search of hood latches I came across the Aerotech stuff.  I knew that it would be another subtle mod to blend race car underneath to stock/street car on the outside.

Not gonna lie, I was scared $hitless to cut huge hole in the hood much a small pin hole.  But I measured a dozen times and got after it.

The latches

20140103_215138.jpg

Cleaned and prepped for surgery

20140103_214948.jpg

20140103_214807.jpg

Pull these

20140103_215232.jpg

I installed the pins and played with the latch

20140103_215911.jpg

I jacked up the picture step here.  But put a small piece of tape and mark for where the pin contacts.  Drill a small hole up to a 1/2" but keep checking the pin location to the hole as you go.

20140103_215207.jpg

Lay the template.  For my hood, I lined the outer edge of the latch (red line) to be parallel to the hood edge.  That places the contour of the hood line on the inside parallel with the inside of the latch.

20140106_201738.jpg

Now get to cutting.  I used a Dremel with their cut off wheels.  Cut well to the inside of the template and make plenty of pie cuts into the radius'.  Then changed to a sand wheel and finish it fit.

20140104_213938.jpg

In the pic above ^^^ you will see that I split the underside bracket or whatever you call it.  It wouldn't fit into the hood otherwise and fact be told: doesn't matter if you cut it into a dozen pieces, it is under the hood and only serves to hold the latch tight to the hood.

Drop the latch in (she fit tight, which means I cut the hole right) then run a drill bit for the screws

20140106_202649.jpg

Then I ran into, how do I hold the lower brackets up against the hood so I can drop the screws through the latch from the top.   Solution: make some alignment studs.  Snipped the heads off 4 screws and problem solved.  I did put a could small pieces of tape to assist.  The tape will be covered by the latch anyway.

20140106_203630.jpg

Drop the latch on and start putting the screws in.  Careful, don't tighten any of them down until you get them all in, just in case.

20140106_203759.jpg

Check it out.  It all lines up like it is supposed to.  The lock pin, cross-sections the pin hole dead center.

20140104_221407.jpg

20140104_221422.jpg

20140104_221357.jpg

20140104_221435.jpg

20140106_204521.jpg

The first side took me about an hour. The second side took maybe 20 minutes.

No picture without the tape yet. That is where the GT500 hood vent is getting cut in

Those look tits! Nice write up. How long did it take you to do it? Any after shots without the tape ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Great write up! I've had Aerocatch hood pins bouncing around in my mental to-do list forever now...they're the only ones I'd consider putting on my car aesthetically (planning to paint them rio red). The reason I haven't done them is I'm also scared shitless to cut my hood lol. Might end up doing them afterall!

Great write up! I've had Aerocatch hood pins bouncing around in my mental to-do list forever now...they're the only ones I'd consider putting on my car aesthetically (planning to paint them rio red). The reason I haven't done them is I'm also scared shitless to cut my hood lol. Might end up doing them afterall!

Black just worked to well for me. I might hit the bolts with silver though but only after I put in the hood vent.

Why are you losing the upper core support?

Making room for air/water intercooler.

20140104_204840.jpg

• Moderators

I guess I kinda knew that when I saw mention of the GT500 hood vent.  That is one helluva project!  Mine is all torn apart and I was wondering if I need to start cutting more stuff off lol.

I would not be able to do that. I am a perfectionist and this would literally drive me insane. I would have to forfeit it to a shop to do lol

Steve if someone is going to mess this stuff up it is going to be me. I wouldn't know how to act if I paid someone for work and irreversible as it is, they didn't do it the way I wanted. If I mess it up, I can be angry at myself and move on.

Steve if someone is going to mess this stuff up it is going to be me. I wouldn't know how to act if I paid someone for work and irreversible as it is, they didn't do it the way I wanted. If I mess it up, I can be angry at myself and move on.

I see where you are coming from I just don't have the guts to do something that serious.  I cringed doing my hood struts lol.

Beautiful! I've loved these for quite a while and if I need/want hood pins sometime in the future, I WILL be purchasing these.

I couldn't tell from the picture, but does the stud attach to the core support with two nuts like most hood pins?

Black just worked to well for me. I might hit the bolts with silver though but only after I put in the hood vent.

20140104_204840.jpg

won't that weaken the structure of the front end?  are you going to tie it back in with custom sheetmetal or just completely delete it?

won't that weaken the structure of the front end? are you going to tie it back in with custom sheetmetal or just completely delete it?

I am going to tie it back in with a removable support which the air to water will bolt too.

Beautiful! I've loved these for quite a while and if I need/want hood pins sometime in the future, I WILL be purchasing these.

I couldn't tell from the picture, but does the stud attach to the core support with two nuts like most hood pins?

Studs are double nutt'd.

For under $100 you can't beat their look or quality.

Have you considered covering up the stock vents in the back? It just looks a little busy imo now with all the new pieces.

The plan is to leave them be for now. If they bother me, we can glass them in when the car gets repainted later down the road.