kbscobravert

Aerocatch hood latch install

maybe its the angle or glare. why is the vent like grey/white now?

It needs to come off to be washed and have the lowest vents opened. The white is a combination of the lighting and fiberglass dust. My garage is a mess from it.

Here are some more pics of the work....and it was fucking work.  I spent hours measuring and squaring only to have the best laid plan tossed out the window when the final fitment started.  I came 1/8" from fucking it up at one point.  

No way I could have cut it still on the car.  
20140111_130553.jpg

Hindsight, I would have covered the entire hood in tape and done the cutting outside the garage.

I did atleast finish it up in the sun outside.
20140111_134809.jpg

20140111_134833.jpg

20140111_154330.jpg

There is a single stud and two pressure locks that hold it down in the back and it uses a lip in the front.  There is also a cushion trim tape all round the back and sides..  However the factory hood is too thick in material for the lip to work 100%.  

I just got back from HD with some stainless #6 machine screws with flat allen heads that match the Aerocatch latches.  The screws can be counter-sunk and I picked up a #6 countersinking tool too.

Took the words right out of my mouth both on that and the hood pins.  I suppose you could fiberglass a lip on the back of the hood to let it rest down just a tad further.  It would be a fair amount of work and not sure it would be worth it, but would look cool.

Actually if you kept the old pieces of the hood you cut out it might not be all that hard. First you would need to cut the hole perfectly so that it could sit perfectly flush.  Then you could cut the old pieces of the hood into strips say 1/2" wide(depends on how much they give you to mount on the plastic piece) and with just a little bit of resin used just like you would a glue or epoxy, glue the strips in on the bottom of the hood and clamp them in place.  Really the hardest part of it would be cutting the hole perfectly because when you inlay the plastic piece with its perfectly straight lines and round corners if your cuts are not perfect it shows up pretty easy.  Then again its nothing a little filler/sanding could not fix.

Installed a set of these myself today. First of all thanks to kbscobravert for the tips and write up, it made things much easier for me and sorry for hijacking your thread I just did the cutout a little different and wanted to share in case someone else wants to give this a shot and want to do it another way. Since I do not own a dremel, I used 2 hole saws: a 1.25" for the small side and a 1.75 for the larger side then used a cutoff wheel for the sides. Everything else was pretty much like kbscobravert demostrated. Here are a few pics. Once again sorry for the hijack. 

20140118_160258Medium_zps301c8824.jpg

20140118_160529Medium_zps996277f4.jpg

20140119_185606Medium_zpsbdb706f3.jpg

20140119_185651Medium_zps33d3372b.jpg

Installed a set of these myself today. First of all thanks to kbscobravert for the tips and write up, it made things much easier for me and sorry for hijacking your thread I just did the cutout a little different and wanted to share in case someone else wants to give this a shot and want to do it another way. Since I do not own a dremel, I used 2 hole saws: a 1.25" for the small side and a 1.75 for the larger side then used a cutoff wheel for the sides. Everything else was pretty much like kbscobravert demostrated. Here are a few pics. Once again sorry for the hijack.

20140118_160258Medium_zps301c8824.jpg

20140118_160529Medium_zps996277f4.jpg

20140119_185606Medium_zpsbdb706f3.jpg

20140119_185651Medium_zps33d3372b.jpg

Looks good man! These are absolutely the way to go with hood pins

Just an FYI, I have a set of these but they are the flush mount model so they mount from underneath. I'm about 90% sure I won't be using them.

@1997cobra is sending a care package eventually, you could just slide those in there with em ;)

I've just never seen a stock hood fly open as often as an aftermarket hood. I have this wierd fear of the latch plate failing. lol

Also, 2 things. My stock hood is metal, and I've seen an aftermarket fiberglass hood "wave" at high speeds.

I've just never seen a stock hood fly open as often as an aftermarket hood. I have this wierd fear of the latch plate failing. lol

Also, 2 things. My stock hood is metal, and I've seen an aftermarket fiberglass hood "wave" at high speeds.

Ask @Str8racn about stock hoods

Did they switch to metal hoods my 94 is stock and glass?

Ask @Str8racn about stock hoods

Yeah, it was pretty scary and looks fiberglass to me from all the strands I still see sticking out from under the hood. I have yet to get the car fixed or even drive it since January 2nd when it happened. I ended up with a 96-98 Cobra hood and most likely won't be putting hood pins on because it is an original Cobra hood. Going to make a LOT of adjustments to the latch and possibly even replace the entire assembly before driving the car again, once fixed. I am now being told they may have to cut my roof, due to the severity of the kinks. If our hoods didn't have that raised portion, probably could have got by with just repairing it. 

Yeah, it was pretty scary and looks fiberglass to me from all the strands I still see sticking out from under the hood. I have yet to get the car fixed or even drive it since January 2nd when it happened. I ended up with a 96-98 Cobra hood and most likely won't be putting hood pins on because it is an original Cobra hood. Going to make a LOT of adjustments to the latch and possibly even replace the entire assembly before driving the car again, once fixed. I am now being told they may have to cut my roof, due to the severity of the kinks. If our hoods didn't have that raised portion, probably could have got by with just repairing it. 

So what exactly happened man? i've seen a nitrous backfire blow a stock hood open on a fox, and i've seen a complete fiberglass hood, i GUESS just shake and move so much at high speeds it flew open. i'm not a fan of hood pins, but i almost feel it necessary to avoid serious damage. I think i'm going to buy the aerocatch pins and talk to my buddy mark and see if he'll help me. i suck at measuring twice, cutting once. he's OCD though, so i think we could do it.

honestly, I am not a huge fan of hood pins either, but my friend's hood flew open and he told me how scary it was and after personally seeing how much damage it can cause I decided to get me a set :-D

Here is a video I came across on Youtube

and another

Great job OP. I am planning to do the same with the Aerocatches and have already removed the latch and core support brace and everything else and smoothed up the core support by welding so there is no turning back. So I was excited to see this and that I'm not the only one wanting to do this.

Great job OP. I am planning to do the same with the Aerocatches and have already removed the latch and core support brace and everything else and smoothed up the core support by welding so there is no turning back. So I was excited to see this and that I'm not the only one wanting to do this.
look at you go with your posting now! lol... Make a HUGE first post and now you're everywhere. Haha

look at you go with your posting now! lol... Make a HUGE first post and now you're everywhere. Haha

Haha, yeah I was eyeballing this thread the other day, it almost got my first post. I'll have to make my rounds; lots of good threads on this site. I am a fan of all Mustangs but I own an SN, so it's really nice that this site is specific to them.