scottydsntknow

Need some opinions on t-45 vs 3650 for my 98

Ok first off I know the pros/cons of each trans, I know for the power levels I'm running either one rebuilt will hold no problem with the stock 10 spline shaft.  I know the t-45 is a single rail setup, I know there are aftermarket gearsets now being produced for the 3650 and I know all about the TSBs for the 3650 and its issues.  Obviously my car being a 98 had the t-45 and a vss setup vs the oss only 99-up.  Bottom line is I need a new trans before I can enjoy driving this car again, period.  It needs (and is getting) a few other things but this is the biggie right now.  

My options:

Option 1

T45source rebuilt t-45 from my core:

1-2/3-4 billet forks

Billet shift plates

Carbon fiber synchro rings

All the small parts replaced/redone

Bronze pads

$1200 or so give or take, my quote might change a little depending on a few other things.  Pros of this is that no having to buy and program a new extended range speedcal at $109 and no new shifter at $180.  Although I could probably make up half of that $$$ selling my current stuff so figure +$150 to bring my total cost before shipping to $1350.  Cons are that the t-45 gearset is not as strong as the 3650 and the .68 overdrive vs the .62 overdrive.

Option 2

Pro Force Performance rebuilt t3650:

Revised 1-2 fork

Bronze pads

Revised 2nd gear

Revised 1-2 synchro hub

Fresh carbon fiber synchro rings

$1300 after I get the money back from my t-45 core.  Figuring on the $150 out of pocket for a new shifter/speedcal after I make $150 from selling my current speedcal/tri-ax that's $1450.  Pros of this are that the 3650 gears are stronger, parts are more readily available and the .62 overdrive drops 200rpm off the top at 80mph.  Cons... besides having to mess with the extended range speedcal (there is plenty of info out there on calibrating it) I don't really see one.  Stan at Pro Performance has guaranteed me he has a good core with a .62 overdrive to start on as soon as I'm ready.  

So for $100 more I get the .62 overdrive which is what it seems this is really boiling down to.  Either trans will go to 500hp no problem at which point I'll have to replace the input shaft.  Dunno...

Whoah someone responded lol.  Yeah I've been talking to some shops and Zak at the t45source has me pretty mucn convinced to stick with the 45.  Nail in the coffin was the 3650 builder I was going to go with talking about how easy it was to do the extended range speedcal and then when I asked him for step by step instructions he said "i just build them".  Also I'm seeing I might need a crossmember mod, driveline angle might have to be checked etc... If I ship Zak MY t45 its the same damn trans so 0 issues, same shifter, no changing anything with the speecal etc... 

I would not do a t56, I'd do an Astro A5 before I ever did a T-56 and that is the other option I am still kicking around.  I'd start with a normal 94/95 T-5, a QT bell and a McCleod spacer to get it all set properly but my issue there is I have a trans that is a time bomb at anything much above stock power levels although that is all I'm planning right now.  Price woudl be $400-$500 for a used 6081 bell, $200 new for the spacer and $700 shipped for the trans.  Same price as the built t45 good for 500 ft lbs and 600 later on when I do the clutch and swap to 26 spline.  The A5 trans is $2600 plus the bell and the spacer for $3400 total new.  Seems like alot but if I ever want a scattershield later on it levels the playing field.  Dunno. 

The 3650 is not worth the upgrade. The transmission is very noisy. The T56 isn't really worth it if you're NA. You actually lose a tad bit of HP between 5th and 6th gear with a bog effect. I have a Zak T45 and I love it! Hands down the best shifting transmission I've ever shifted and Zak is a super stand up guy.

Would you say the t-45 is as smooth shifting as a fresh t-5?  Because I have NEVER had a trans that shifted as well as the fresh t-5 in my 91 and the low mileage t-5 in my 95 Cobra.  I have even researched what it would take to eventually get an Astro A5 behind the modular.  Would need a QT bell, McCleod spacer and then it would bolt right up like stock.  Well, would need a 28 spline yoke but that's it.  

Would you say the t-45 is as smooth shifting as a fresh t-5? Because I have NEVER had a trans that shifted as well as the fresh t-5 in my 91 and the low mileage t-5 in my 95 Cobra. I have even researched what it would take to eventually get an Astro A5 behind the modular. Would need a QT bell, McCleod spacer and then it would bolt right up like stock. Well, would need a 28 spline yoke but that's it.

Fresh T5 is no doubt the other best shifting transmission. You will be blown away with that T45 after Zak gets done with it. I do recommend the reverse fix. Never had a transmission go into reverse so easy with no grind. I actually have a spare T45 I want Zak to rebuild for me so I can have a really good spare if i ever need one.

Well mine goes into reverse right now with no grinding, I just have to do the old, 1st/1st/reverse trick sometimes.  I might just have it done to head it off but I'm emailing Astro just to see what his opinion is on putting a A5 behind a modular.  If he says "meh" then it's a no-go lol.  I won't pretend to know more from internets research than Tony...

Well mine goes into reverse right now with no grinding, I just have to do the old, 1st/1st/reverse trick sometimes. I might just have it done to head it off but I'm emailing Astro just to see what his opinion is on putting a A5 behind a modular. If he says "meh" then it's a no-go lol. I won't pretend to know more from internets research than Tony...

I use to do that trick as well so it's really nice not to have to worry about it anymore. You can't go wrong if you do decided to go with Zak. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I'll probably have it done while he's in there. Getting everythign done except the 26 spline shaft. I can do THAT myself and I will when I do the t45 delete plate and the QT bellhousing.

I didnt go 26 spline. I'm just not making or plan to make the power to justify a 26 spline upgrade. The upgrade is nice, but doesn't fit my needs for the 400 dollar price tag. I would have the TOB retainer sleeve replaced with the titanium one. My stock one broke which led me to Zak. He carries the upgrade TOB retainer sleeve as well.

Crap I should probably get that too... this is starting to get a little pricey lol. Actually I need to check my quote to see if he included that. I did get him to throw in the bronze fork pads.

Don't hold me to this but I'm pretty sure he didn't charge me labor to install the retainer, just the cost of the part. I think it was like 110.

No I don't think he'd charge labor since I think it has to come off regardless.  He didn't mention needing it though.  Plus I do plan on getting the front delete kit and a QT bell at some point and when I do that I can get the retainer.  

Or I'll just change my mind at the last minute and go auto...

Well the quote is running up to the $1500-$1600 range for the reverse fix and billet TOB retainer sleeve...  That is still a really good deal I just hate when this sort of stuff happens.  This means all 3 forks are billet, billet TOB sleeve and all I'd need to punch it up to the 600 ft lbs range would be the 26 spline shaft.  Also would likely get a SFI bell and delete plate too when I did that.

Well found a shop on ebay that a few corralers have used with good results, around $1k shipped for a 3650 and no core return...  They say all the TSBs are done and I'd likely get a .62 overdrive because all New Edges after 9/2001 got the .62 OD but they say they can't guarantee the overdrive.  

This t-45 is now going to run $1800 or so by the time I get done with shipping and still have the 10 spline shaft.  The performance 3650 I'm looking at is going to be $1200 plus a $350 core I'll only get $250 back for the t-45 core which will cover the shipping most likely so there we go to $1550 for that plus I'll probably be in for another $200 for a 3650 shifter and extended range speedcal so that's right at $1800 give or take as well.  $1k shipped for a good all TSB done 3650 is starting to look pretty good on a car that is running the stock longblock.  Plus then I can still sell my t-45 as a good core with no reverse problems for $200-$300 to make up even more $$.

I should probably also call Hanlon... they are an hour and 20 minutes from where I work/where my parents live and about 2 hours from me.  That would be an easy drop my kid off at my mom's for the afternoon, drive out to Hanlon and come back in a vehicle getting 25+mpg.  

I was in the same predicament as you. I broke the 3-4 shift fork in my t-45 and didn't know what route I wanted to go. I was contemplating the having Zak rebuild it or getting a 3650. I ended up getting an 03-04 t-56 for stupid cheap and I built it with a buddy of mine. I'm in it less than built t-45 and I did all the upgrades. Just out of curiosity, how come you don't want to do the t-56? Good luck on your search/decision!

I almost bought one of the three T-56s I found local to me for $1500-$1800.  However I got a brand new fully rebuilt with warranty T-3650 for $1075 shipped to my door and no core charge.  Link.  Could not pass up that deal.  Verified they are dyno tested transmissions with all TSBs done, shop has good reviews and I talked to someone who got one of their transmissions a few years ago and put 20k miles on it without a hitch.  Good enough for me. By the time I sell my T-45 I plan on having around $800 into a brand new trans which is crazy IMO.  

Welp, got the damn thing in finally.  Only took me 3.5 months...  For the 3650 in a 96-98 car, one needs:

-Stiffler's T-45/3650 crossmember for GT(install with no hangar plate and no trans mount spacers)

-79-95 Trans mount

-OSS Sensor

-Dallas Speedcal (already had one)

-3650 shifter (sold my tri ax for $100 and picked up a 3650 tri-ax for $100)

Stock 96-98 GT crossmember setup will not clear the 3650 case even with the casting tab ground off that some ppl will mention.  They are wrong, or they had a Cobra.  For a 96-98 Cobra, those crossmembers will probably clear since they are set further back.  Dallas Speedcal VSS to OSS is way easier than ppl make it out to be.  Its actually so easy it is 1 math problem and plug into a dipswitch calculator and done.  Everything else is a normal trans swap.  This 3650 shifts GREAT!  I am really happy with the end result even though I had to figure out the crossmember for myself.  For everyone saying that the 3650 shifts like a bag of rocks, they either have a shitty one or they are using the wrong fluid or too much fluid or SOMETHING because this thing shifts damn good with 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh in it.  If you want notchy, drive a TKO equipped car and get back to me.  This thing is a dream compared to that and MUCH nicer than my worn out T-45.  I have also noticed that the throw on this 3650 is markedly shorter than the T-45 was and that is with a Tri-Ax shifter in both.  Cobrabob gasket makes this thing nice and quiet and smooth too.

I have put about 100 miles on it so far and while I am breaking it in pretty easy, I had to know if I could nail a 1-2 shift at 6k at least once before I got too excited.  Thing went right into 2nd like butter at 6k and didn't miss a beat.