slow90coupe

Low and Slow 97 GT Build Thread

Now that's an update! I can't wait to see what kind of power that kit makes. Also, be sure to share any obstacles you encounter, please!

I concur! I want to get their kit at some point for my 4v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw those Friday morning I believe, I definitely considered them, but heck that's over half of what a decent air setup costs! I appreciate you keeping an eye out for me though.

I will definitely be sure to post pics of every little problem I have, but I really hope I can get away with just a few minor tweaks here and there. I've read up on these kits a lot and have bought a few upgraded parts to help remedy some of the things that make people label these kits as "cheap crap".

I saw those Friday morning I believe, I definitely considered them, but heck that's over half of what a decent air setup costs! I appreciate you keeping an eye out for me though.

Yea that's what I was thinking too, plus the rear setup isn't a true coilover, rather a shock and separate adjustable stock location coil. Really not sure why some companies do that...

And no problem, I'm always browsing classifieds and I knew you were in the market for some real coilovers :2thumb:

KW's are very nice and have used them on the several import platforms. It looks like they even come with their own CC plates that mount under the strut tower.  

Have a question for those who have used them or similar on our platforms. How much Caster can you get out of them compared to a CC plate like MM? Our fox and sn95 cars need as much caster as possible. We usually max out the plates then use offset A-arms to gain more.

I finally got started on it.

First, I received my new boost gauge. I threw the gauges back in and got everything working properly.

IMG_9837_zps66d7faa5.jpg

Then, into the shop it went. This is where I left it last night.

IMG_9847_zpsfb8a03df.jpg

Then this morning I got the old K-member out.

IMG_1449_zps7ae49434.jpg

New sexiness in.

IMG_9485_zpsa097e6d0.jpg

Headers off.

IMG_8116_zpsb5eed2da.jpg

A-arms, new offset rack bushings, and steering race back on.

IMG_4430_zps21356daa.jpg

And this littler fucker. It took me an hour of struggling to get the passenger header this close. I had to remove the sway bar and A/C compressor just to get it stuck through the K-member. It sure doesn't look like it's going to line up, but I'll look at it again tomorrow when I'm well rested.

IMG_6541_zps298476e8.jpg

IMG_0602_zps1275f814.jpg

Wow, how quickly things can change, huh?  I can relate and understand though.  Was trying to sell my car long ago, then changed my mind and a week later the whole thing was dismantled.  Very cool though and glad to see the GT stuck around.  The '03-04 Cobras are pretty cool cars and they do have their place, but at the end of the day they are just another SN95/New Edge platform variant.  They don't have much to offer that can't be achieved with any other SN/New Edge.

It'll be interesting to see the difference between the turbo and the Vortech nearly back to back.  Maybe you could try loosening the k-member back up a bit or dropping it completely to get the headers in?  That's crazy that there isn't enough room even after putting in the roomy tubular K.  Hopefully you won't need to extensively modify the header any.  Having to cut out and redo a tube would be a real upsetting.

I was the thinking the same thing as sublime, why not leave the k-member out when you did the manifolds?  Probably would give you the extra room you need. just need to support the engine from the top with some type of bar.    Nice progress so far tho!

I was the thinking the same thing as sublime, why not leave the k-member out when you did the manifolds?  Probably would give you the extra room you need. just need to support the engine from the top with some type of bar.    Nice progress so far tho!

Engine support bar. They come in handy.

http://www.tooltopia.com/lifting-equipment-engine-support-bars.aspx

I thought about doing that, but now that I've installed one header, there's no possible way I could have made that work They snake through the K-member.

Well I worked on the car ALL day today. I got basically nothing accomplished. In my stupor last night, my dumbass didn't realize that the passenger header was actually supposed to face the opposite direction. This morning it fell into place. Then I went to put my header bolts in and that's where the day went south.

I got all of them started no problem, except for one. It's placement is right behind the motor mount, which wouldn't be too bad except there is a header tube literally less than 1/2" away from the hole itself. So off the header came so I could put a stud in the hole. I put the header back on and figured I'd save some time. So I grabbed a Gearwrench and shoved that into the VERY tight spot and went to tightening the nut on the stud. I got all of the other bolts torqued down, and then I went to remove the gearwrench... what do you know there's no way to get it out. Soooo, I had to take the starter off, and then snake yet another open end wrench into the hole, take all of the other bolts out, and back the nut off almost all the way before I finally got the Gearwrench out. Then I put it back on and got it all tightened down.

IMG_3622_zps1977f451.jpg

A picture of the bolt/stud that caused the problems. It looks so harmless, but don't let the picture fool you, if you have the starter on, you'd never even catch a glimpse of it.

IMG_0071_zps6cd72b41.jpg

Then I moved on to the oil filter relocation. That went on without too much of a hassle. Then I removed the dipstick tube and made my first attempt to fit the drivers header. LOL. No freakin way that thing will fit. So I dropped the K-member down a bunch, removed the clutch cable, and tried again. Closer, but still nowhere near going in. Soo out came the BFH. I beat the piss out of the header and eventually got it to fit through the hole. But what do you know, it is still nowhere near to lining up. it's literally hitting the K-member, engine, and the car itself. So I spent another 2 hours getting the header snaked back out and it eventually popped out. I gave up. Hopefully tomorrow I can beat the collector and tubes flat and hope I can get it to fit. I honestly doubt I can get it to work though.

It's much worse than I thought it would be IMO. The bad thing is that the UPR K-member is what the kit was designed around.. I'm about to go back at it.. wish me luck, I'm sure going to need it, lol. If I can't get it today, I'm going to throw in the towel and pay someone to put it all on for me, which is something I've never had to do before.

there's got to be a trick to it.  i can't imagine if they designed the kit to work with that k-member that you would have to flatten a header to get it to work.  otherwise it would have come like that.  have you called them up and asked for any tips or tricks for the installation?

It's much worse than I thought it would be IMO. The bad thing is that the UPR K-member is what the kit was designed around.. I'm about to go back at it.. wish me luck, I'm sure going to need it, lol. If I can't get it today, I'm going to throw in the towel and pay someone to put it all on for me, which is something I've never had to do before.

I'd just find someone to build you a new header or mod the one you have to fit rather than paying for someone to do it all for you. Saves you money and you still have the satisfaction of doing it yourself... just a thought.

Do you have access to a welder? I'd chop out the sections that don't fit, rotate the tubes, etc. then weld them back in if it was me. Yea it sucks but I'm so used to having to modify EVERYTHING I put on my car that it's almost second nature to me lol.

Well, the "instructions" that come with the kit say

"Don’t get discouraged during the install, its not easy but once all said and done, it’s a work of art.  This isn’t something that your just going to install in a few nights, its an involved process and time consuming.  There is a lot of work involved and can be tricky.  There are situations where sometimes we do have to tweak something to make it fit as you would want.  Once you are behind the wheel and making boost, all the hard work is worth it."

So I guess this is about the average for this kit. I've talked to some people who have installed the kit, and they all say their drivers side header just slipped through. I don't know what's the matter with it. I do have a welder sitting next to the car that belongs to one of my buddies, but I don't know how to use it, lol. If I can't get it to work today, I'll get one of my buddies to come by and help me modify the header.

When you're writing a paragraph like that in your instructions, you're basically admitting you didn't design a kit that fits right lol.

Best of luck to you man, I have faith that you'll make it happen. You do great work so I'm sure you'll have this thing making cool sounds in no time.

Man, that's a lot of bullshit to deal with on that kit... That sucks!

I've always been of the opinion that people should think twice about purchasing an On3 kit if they're not fully prepared and have the skills required to cut/modify/weld it as necessary to fit (not saying that you don't, OP.  Just making a blanket statement about the quality of the kit :) ).  It's way too hit or miss on whether they'll fit or not.  Personally, I don't think the On3 setup is as much of bargain as people make them out to be anyway after you have to spend the time to modify the tubing in most cases, and spend the money to replace the v-bands, turbo, wastegate and BOV to get the kit up to snuff.

Good luck working through the issues.  Don't let yourself get too discouraged.  You'll get there and it will be worth it in the end!

Well, the "instructions" that come with the kit say

"Don’t get discouraged during the install, its not easy but once all said and done, it’s a work of art.  This isn’t something that your just going to install in a few nights, its an involved process and time consuming.  There is a lot of work involved and can be tricky.  There are situations where sometimes we do have to tweak something to make it fit as you would want.  Once you are behind the wheel and making boost, all the hard work is worth it."

lol! They are making a sales pitch for the kit, even after you bought it... tells you something, doesn't it?

Good luck man.  Sorry to see your having issues.

I'm working through the issues! It appears that it's more of my fault than on3's, and since I am one of the first ones installing this kit on a 96-98, I knew what I was getting into. The issues are nothing as major as I originally thought!

I made a decent amount of progress today.

How the day started. I made one more attempt to get the header in the drivers side. There is just no way it could possibly fit. So I threw in the towel, called a few buddies and apparently 96-98 GT's come with an oil cooler that the 99-04 didn't come with. So that would explain my issue. I'm currently on the hunt for a 99-04 oil filter housing.

IMG_9871_zps723df806.jpg

This thing is a bulky SOB.

IMG_9872_zpsc44db8b2.jpg

Then I moved to the passenger side. I tightened my header bolts down as much as possible and locked them down. Stage 8 locking header bolts FTW! those bolts aren't going anywhere.

IMG_9881_zpsb435025b.jpg

Then I took my struts off to install the coilovers.

The little piece I had to remove.

IMG_9879_zps0fc0c0b1.jpg

After removing it.

IMG_9878_zpsd9164ffb.jpg

Then I removed all the EGR crap and mocked up the intake pipe. It's sooo much less cluttered now. And this is just the beginning... More tucking coming soon.

IMG_9877_zpscd5ca997.jpg

Then I put the suspension back under the car.

IMG_6280_zps5eefd501.jpg

IMG_9580_zps3248fa23.jpg

IMG_3652_zpsf909f576.jpg

Then I mocked up the hotside minus the drivers header. It made me feel much better about all of the work I've been putting into it!

IMG_9050_zps46b2c351.jpg

BOV installed

IMG_3184_zpsb689feb9.jpg

Nice man! It's great when things work out like that.

The real hassle is finding one of these damn adapters. I've found one so far, and it's $350.. I'm definitely not paying that, so I'll call some junkyards tomorrow and see what I can find.

Glad to hear the issue is figured out, sucks that the adapter is proving to be so expensive though. Definitely glad that you found out the issue before cutting up the header. How much flattening did it end up getting, and now that you know the real issue, was the flattening needed?

I'm working through the issues! It appears that it's more of my fault than on3's, and since I am one of the first ones installing this kit on a 96-98, I knew what I was getting into. The issues are nothing as major as I originally thought!

I made a decent amount of progress today.

How the day started. I made one more attempt to get the header in the drivers side. There is just no way it could possibly fit. So I threw in the towel, called a few buddies and apparently 96-98 GT's come with an oil cooler that the 99-04 didn't come with. So that would explain my issue. I'm currently on the hunt for a 99-04 oil filter housing.

IMG_9871_zps723df806.jpg

This thing is a bulky SOB.

IMG_9872_zpsc44db8b2.jpg

Actually that looks like a 4v oil cooler.  the 2v didnt really have an oil cooler.  looks like someone before you swapped it on there?  I have an extra 2v oil filter adapter if you want it.  Im assuming the two lines connected to yours is an oil filter relocation?      this is what the 4v cobra oil cooler looks like

695A40BE-530F-4161-AD62-F719C30D4C34_zps

There is a guy on SVTPerformance that regularly sells those water/oil adapters.  His screename is Racebronco2 (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/member.php?11854-racebronco2) I bought one from him for like $30, I think.  Seems to always have tons of parts kicking around so you might try messaging him and seeing if he's got one. 

Fwiw, those parts come off of TONS of different cars so don't pay a lot for one (GT's, Mach 1's, Mark VIII's, etc.).

-edit- in fact, here is a thread where he has them listed for $30 + shipping http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?854038-4v-parts-galore/page8

Glad to hear the issue is figured out, sucks that the adapter is proving to be so expensive though. Definitely glad that you found out the issue before cutting up the header. How much flattening did it end up getting, and now that you know the real issue, was the flattening needed?

I just flattened one collector, it shouldn't really matter, but it still looks like the flattening I did will give me more clearance at the k-member.

Thanks for all of the help on the oil filter adapter guys! It means a lot that you're all looking out for a fellow Mustang owner. @Blackmage, I'd love to take that adapter off your hands. PM sent!

Made some good progress on the car tonight.

I received my 42# injectors.

IMG_7099_zps6862e08f.jpg

Put them in.

IMG_2756_zps24125f8f.jpg

Then the fun began.. I decided to stick a few of the passenger side wires through the headlight hole. Then things got a little out of hand..

IMG_4542_zps09e6d75b.jpg

And I ended up here.

IMG_5986_zps7c68108e.jpg

IMG_9966_zps1a71333d.jpg

I'm going to put the fuse box in the inner fender in the place of the windshield washer reservoir and re-route the headlight harness in front of the radiator/condenser and strap it to the top of my intercooler.

I got the wire tuck pretty much buttoned up (for this round of tucking at least)

Some pics of the routing. I ended up getting kinda lazy and didn't go crazy with the tucking, and I didn't have to extend a single wire.

IMG_9959_zps7c35e44e.jpg

I'm probably going to wrap the wires with heater hose, I don't like how the looming looks and it should add more protection.

IMG_9963_zpsfce7aa73.jpg

IMG_9965_zpsc48fbb55.jpg

IMG_9966_zps8fd2c801.jpg

IMG_9967_zps18b2b987.jpg

The finished product. Eventually I'll extend the wires and run them a totally different way so they're completely out of sight.

IMG_9952_zps50838e48.jpg

IMG_9956_zps981a9aa2.jpg

I'll get good pics with a real camera eventually. I'm very pleased with how it's turning out so far and I think the engine bay looks a ton better in person than with a crappy cell phone pic.

I got a little bit more done on it over the past 2 days.

First, I tackled getting that damn oil cooler off. Holy crap. That was a major pain.

You can see the one bolt that took me forever to get off in this pic... kinda. It's the one you can just barely catch a glimpse of below the motor mount bolt.

IMG_9971_zpsdaaadd04.jpg

Once I got it off, I then discovered that the negative ground didn't even have a nut holding it on. It's a wonder the car never gave me any problems because of this.

IMG_9977_zps1546f719.jpg

Then I conquered that drivers side header. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it didn't go on like it should have either. I had to enlarge 4 out of the 8 holes in it to get it to bolt up.... Just another thing I have grown to expect with this kit.

I didn't even take pics because I was so disgusted.

Then I mocked up the rest of the hotside and put the turbo on to see how it fit.

IMG_9981_zps32138fda.jpg

Today I got started early.

I got the complete cold side installed.

IMG_9994_zpsa0a6eed2.jpg

IMG_9996_zps19227e8b.jpg

The only real issue I had with the cold side. These two pipes don't exactly line up, but it should be fine.

IMG_9988_zps0af44887.jpg

Move on to the turbo bracket.. of course it's nowhere near lining up, and even if it did it would be hitting the serpentine belt.

IMG_9990_zpsc0bc1016.jpg

And where I left it for today. It looks good, but I've about had it with all of these fitment issues.

IMG_9986_zps44362251.jpg