slow90coupe

Low and Slow 97 GT Build Thread

Well in light of all the headaches you've been having with fitment, everything is looking great in the pictures. You'll make it happen and eventually you'll forget about all the issues when you start making some boost ;)

And I'm sure you can make a much nicer bracket for the turbo mount than what they provided anyway. I wouldn't sweat that, looks like a pretty simple part to make.

That turbo bracket is silly!  Agree with Dan, make a new one and move on.  Should be easy peasy ^_^.  Also you could probably order a new sillycone coupler, for the two cold side pipes that don't align, with a slight offset so make up for the mis-alignment.  Regardless you're killin' it right now, you'll love the results I'm sure! B-)

You did a good job on that wire tuck!  Looks nice!  I keep thinking about wanting to do one but I can't bring myself yet to move the fuse box.  I have too much paranoia about keeping it easily accessible.

The non matching cold-side pipes, I think I'd be inclined to take one of them to an exhaust shop and have them put the tiniest of bends in it.  Would be a really cheap fix...

And I don't know how much it would help because obviously you've got a 2V timing cover and the holes are different, and the placement of the turbo is a little different, but I can send you pictures of the Hellion turbo bracket if you want.  It's honestly really basic but very nice and does the job well.

The bracket is the least of my worries, I'm sure I can make one out of a piece of steel. Thanks for all of the encouragement guys! I'll get it done! Still, for the price I paid, I am pretty happy so far. I've made it all work so far and the cold side piping mismatch doesn't bother me too much since it still lines up decent. I'll just wait until I get it running and see if I have any issues with it. I'm aiming to crank it this weekend, wish me luck!

Sorry for the lack of pics, I've just been working on it a few hours every night and haven't felt like taking any pics.

Progress is being made. It's coming very slow, but it's getting there.

Got my COP conversion

IMG_0006_zps1b03de50.jpg

The 02-04 thermostat housing

IMG_0026_zpsba534f4c.jpg

A little modding to the passenger side foglight bracket to clear intercooler piping.

IMG_0017_zpsd138bf2a.jpg

And how she sits now. It should crank Sunday. Hopefully I can put a good 300 miles on it before this time next week!

IMG_0035_zps85ce0400.jpg

Hooly piss I haven't been on much lately ... You ditched the vortech and went on3 nice . Sucks about all the fitment issues seems like the sn95 5.0 kit is the only decent fitting kit

I think once you get the coilovers you really want, and this turbo setup is finished, you should have me change your thread title to "More Low and Less Slow 97 GT Build Thread" ;)

• Moderators

Wow.  That looks incredible.  I can't wait to hear it run.  I would love some boost in my life... or a motor for that matter.

Thanks everyone!

Got some more done on it this afternoon.

I didn't take any detailed pics of everything, but I've been working on it a little bit every day. All I've got left is adding fluids, putting in my Lokar dipstick which should be here tomorrow, mounting my foglights, and a few other little things.

IMG_0070_zpscd75a9d5.jpg

It's a 4x4, but I don't even care, it's functional and it's easy to get on and off the lift which is good, because I'm sure I'll have a ton of things to tweak once I get it running.

IMG_0068_zpsd1cf1f3e.jpg

The wheels....

iOHcbEZ.jpg

Lol, they're nothing like yours, but I'm happy with my $250 investment. The current plan is to use these to cover with a glass piece to make a cool coffee table, since I only have two. I'm looking at getting the CCW SP16A's since a full set of those are the same price as two HRE's would be. Those plus tucking some tire on bags should look pretty coo;, as well as ruffle a few feathers in the local Mustang community.

Lol, they're nothing like yours, but I'm happy with my $250 investment. The current plan is to use these to cover with a glass piece to make a cool coffee table, since I only have two. I'm looking at getting the CCW SP16A's since a full set of those are the same price as two HRE's would be. Those plus tucking some tire on bags should look pretty coo;, as well as ruffle a few feathers in the local Mustang community.

Haha I fully support feather ruffling, I can't wait to get mine laid out too

SP16A's will look sick!

I'm partial to the LM5T's and the Classic 5's as well. @Psychorugby is going with D110's which are absolute sex, if you've seen Jon Sowa's white terminator on the new wheels, those are the D110's.

Haha I fully support feather ruffling, I can't wait to get mine laid out too

SP16A's will look sick!

I'm partial to the LM5T's and the Classic 5's as well. @Psychorugby is going with D110's which are absolute sex, if you've seen Jon Sowa's white terminator on the new wheels, those are the D110's.

There's almost too many great choices out there. This decision will probably take a few months. All of them are great looking wheels, I just don't know what would look best.

Don't you steal my D110s before I get them... in like 5 years :(

It's probably going to take me that long to decide what wheels I want as well, Lol.

I didn't work on it today and I probably won't touch it until this weekend, but I did receive my Lokar dipstick today.

IMG_0079_zps77ff9f9e.jpg

The only part that I don't have in my hands is the catch can I ordered last night, but I can drive it around a little without that. Can't wait to get this bish going.

They're definitely worth the $60. It's a very nice piece and it sure beats fighting with that stock pos tube.

I have a solid one (came with the motor) that took me forever to bend up around the headers... and still looks like shit lol.  Definitely a great choice.  B-)  Should match up nicely with all that polished tubing you have in there!

• Moderators

I have a solid one (came with the motor) that took me forever to bend up around the headers... and still looks like shit lol.  Definitely a great choice.  B-)  Should match up nicely with all that polished tubing you have in there!

This is what I am thinking for my build as well.  Starting to get polish overload in my head though lol.

It's almost there. I got everything buttoned up yesterday night. All I have to do now is put the inner fenders back in, put my TF wheels back on, and add my fluid and it should be ready to crank. My fingers are crossed, I hope I don't have any oil leaks! I expect to have exhaust leaks, but if I have no oil leaks I will be veryyy happy. Here's a few pics.

IMG_0094_zps53a3efc0.jpg

IMG_0099_zps412588e2.jpg

So much room for activities!

IMG_0098_zps1deb1cf1.jpg

IMG_0097_zpse399c174.jpg

IMG_0105_zpsa9becaa3.jpg

The big day is tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Are you eventually running the downpipe out of the engine compartment?  Going to get a little warm...

Maybe. I might run the pipe that came with the kit that runs to about where the transmission starts, and run a turndown off of that. But for now, I'm just going to leave it open.

Wouldn't be my choice for exhaust systems having heard mine open downpipe, just not a fan of the tone but thats all personal opinion so no hate here.  You'll at least certainly be able to run the ride height you want to with the downpipe exiting where it does.  Looking forward to seeing a video and numbers when you've got it tuned!  Looks nice, dude!

Here's some pics.

IMG_0110_zps49a881bd.jpg

IMG_0120_zps6b06177f.jpg

IMG_0117_zpse4e030e1.jpg

IMG_0128_zps80b5da44.jpg

My 315's look massive after I've had 285's and 03 Cobras on the back for a while

IMG_0129_zps23507cf4.jpg

The piece that caused all of the problems. I'm about to order my AN fittings and hope they don't leak.

IMG_0148_zpsc2118433.jpg

And, as requested, a crappy vid of the first startup, filmed with a potato, so sorry for the quality.

Got a few parts today.

My catch can

IMG_0176_zpsaefbe414.jpg

This is what $70 looks like.

IMG_0184_zpse63564e9.jpg

IMG_0185_zps9a682971.jpg

IMG_0186_zpscc6bc753.jpg

I was planning on having it running/driving today, but as you have came to expect with this build, nothing goes according to plan. I've got some more boundaries to work around. I'm taking off work Friday because I simply can't stand not having this thing done any longer. It's been driving me absolutely insane for weeks now. I can't stand having something not done. So it will be on the road Friday, or tomorrow evening if all goes well (which it never does lol)

Well, as I said in the last post, nothing ever goes right with this car. I got all of the AN fittings installed.

IMG_9667_zps0ba5fe50.jpg

What do you know, it was still pouring oil, just not as bad. The only thing I can figure out is the spin-on oil filter adapter piece is cracked. On3 ftw. Sooo I ordered a Moroso piece which should be here Tuesday. I doubt the car will see the road this month, because I'm confident I'll have more issues to work around.

I did tap my intercooler piping for my wastegate vacuum line today.

IMG_3485_zps8d6d455e.jpg

Mustang, why you no hold oil?

IMG_0374_zps334d40bf.jpg

So tired of oil leaks. Got my Moroso oil filter piece today. It was a bitch and a half, but it's on. Cranked the car, what do you know, leaking oil 5x worse than before. This time it's an AN line that's leaking. Took it off, turns out the line had freaking collapsed. Put a new one on, and guess what? same thing happened to it. So the only thing I can figure out is there's too much pressure being put on the line, because it is in a tight spot. So tomorrow I'm going to try to find a 45 degree AN fitting to get rid of the pressure on the line. I just want it done. I care nothing about driving it, I just want the car done so I can bring it back to my garage and let it sit.