copmagnet

Turbo mach 1 build

So alot of my hold up was issues with my fan not fitting ( I will explain later why), not knowing how to plumb my pcv system or the vacuum lines for the wastegates.

Well I figured out all of it over the few days i was in florida, I got back sunday night aroun 1030PM, got to work 7 am yesterday. 

So the issue behind my fan has been pissing me off. everybody on facebook is saying they got there stock fan to fit and had inches between the fan and exhaust housing.. yupp. I'm mad. I'm looking at aftermarket fan options, noticing nothing cools as well as a stock fan (weird right?) in a last ditch effort, I fought the fan for 2 hours and got it in. but it touches the exhaust housing. talking to a buddy on facebook with the same kit we get onto the subject and thats when he tells me my turbo is different from his... wait..what? my exhaust housing is 2" larger then his. which explains why I'm having so many clearance issues. I contact a few different dealers and they swore up and down the same 70mm came in all kits standard.. yea ok, then why is mine fucking huge? still not sure how I got a larger exhaust housing then everybody else but whatever... 

Also, notice how my turbo looks canted? thats todays project. it is causing alignment issues between the down pipe and mid pipe.. 

IMG_20150706_084704558.jpg

as you guys know from an earlier post, I went to a on3 coolant crossover delete, thanks to @Lanter and that dude with the black and green cobra.. sadly mine has blue stripes through the hoe and its clashing with my red and black engine bay.. whatever. this is the thermostat I used, its a chevy 350 180 degree with a built in oring. 

IMG_20150706_102831557.jpg

Next was moving on to the vacuum lines. since I am going to a breather/catch can for my pcv I had a massive hole in the side of my intake where the pcv tube attached.. I needed a place to tap in my vaccum lines on the intake... how do I make a tiny vacuum line fit a 5/8 hose on the intake? BOOM! stepped vacuum adapters, Part number is listed on the top left of the box. I want to clean it up and use a 5/8 to whatever barb fitting so it doesn't look so ghetto but i couldnt find one at any of the stores near me. 

IMG_20150706_102824298_HDR.jpg

11209686_830135887042112_709741137501274

I'm not super thrilled how this hose looks running over my engine, and I wanted to put it inside of the loom but I wasn't about to start cutting open wire looms, and my shaker will cover it... (sneak peak at what is to come later?? maybe ?? ;)

IMG_20150706_143706924_HDR.jpg

Boost controller mounted. I WAS NOT thrilled about the spot or drilling two more holes into my car but it is the only place it will be hidden (under intake tube) but can be accessed without having to crawl under the car. once i go to an eboost I will mount it down under car on the inside of the fender liner. 

IMG_20150706_143702505_HDR.jpg

before anybody says something about putting a zip tie or pipe clamp on the fittings, shush your face. I cant even pull the lines off of the fittings, what little boost they see sure as fuck wont push them off. also you can see my oil return in this photo. I tested it by pouring oil through the turbo and it flows out pretty well despite being almost parallel with the ground. we will see how it does when its being fed pressurized oil. 

IMG_20150706_143724203.jpg

Now this part, I need you to please forgive my ghettoness on this.. Ineeded to plug the vacuum line that connects to the EGR (I have an EGR delete) and I want to use that line later on down to the road for my boost gauge, so I didn't want to do anything to the line and I wasn't about to make a 5th trip to autozone... 

I took a spare brass fitting from the boost controller, filled it with RTV copper, put a heat shrink around it to help it blend, and once the RTV dried i stuck it in the fitting for the egr vacuum source. its a pretty tight fit so i don't think it will leak. if i have a vacuum issue, this will be the first place i look, however. 

IMG_20150706_152559755_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150706_152900967.jpg

I was having an issue figuring out the power steering fluid cooler.. for some reason mine comes through the front radiator support pretty low. directly in the way of the cold side piping. i tried sticking it behind the intercooler (you may have noticed a few posts back it was actually sticking up behind the pony in the grill) so I did the unthinkable and i bused out the cutting wheel and made the hole in the radiator support a little bit bigger so i could move the line up to go over the cold side. i the took the factory bracket, bent the shit out of it, and made it work to hold the line in front of the interfooler.

IMG_20150706_162949183.jpg

IMG_20150706_163013737.jpg

that's all I have for now... stay tuned for tonight ;)

Getting so close to being finished it looks!.... I to finally got my stock fan to fit, did you move your radiator up? Maybe that will free up even more room if you are wanting more.

Side note, is there a extrusion on the compressor housing that could be tapped for your wastegate boost reference line, instead of using the intake manifold? Would put it closer to the turbo which is a good thing plus negate the weird vacuum effects the intake could put on the wastegates. Anyway just a side note/ concern....

Back to a seriously sweet update, awesome to see it getting close to firing up! Can't wait to see it run!!!

Getting so close to being finished it looks!.... I to finally got my stock fan to fit, did you move your radiator up? Maybe that will free up even more room if you are wanting more.

Side note, is there a extrusion on the compressor housing that could be tapped for your wastegate boost reference line, instead of using the intake manifold? Would put it closer to the turbo which is a good thing plus negate the weird vacuum effects the intake could put on the wastegates. Anyway just a side note/ concern....

Back to a seriously sweet update, awesome to see it getting close to firing up! Can't wait to see it run!!!

I did get it to fit I cannot move my radiator as the intercooler I have takes up all the space so there is no room for it to go forward. I will explain later in my post why i was having issues. 

I have nothing on my turbo to tap into. I was thinking about drilling and taping a hole but after talking to a guy on facebook i decided to use this hole. i mean it is already there. 

Maf installed and entire cold side tightened up. which is surprisingly solid.

IMG_20150707_142823670.jpg

next was figuring out the cant issue with the turbo. @Lanter, this is where my fan issue was. 

I loosened up the 4 bolts and tried to use a pry bar to move the turbo. then it hit me I didn't unbolt the turbo support bracket. once the bracket was unbolted I was able to properly align the turbo.. go figure.  now the turbo support bracket will not line up but screw it. half the people I talk to don't even use it. 

also, not sure if it is just my kit, or maybe just 4v's, but I figured out why everybody else claims they have so much room with the on3 turbo and fan.... they have a .68 exhaust housing. I have a .96 exhaust housing. my buddy measured and his housing is 1.10" smaller then mine. which explains why people have like 2" between the housing and fan. 

IMG_20150707_161135532.jpg

I figured since the motor was done I could make it look like a car again. 

IMG_20150707_183806915.jpg

my next thing is figuring out how to plug this hole in my shaker.. 

IMG_20150707_164400895.jpg

Looking good!  I also have a .96 A/R turbine housing... so both our headaches with the fan are due to the same size exhaust housing.  Glad to see you're getting it all figured out.  How's the downpipe look now?  Where you need it and low enough?

I only played with it by hand but it looks like it is lining up properly. It was too dark when my girlfriend got here and I needed extra hands so we said screw it watched movies on Netflix. Today is my last day of leave and I'm kinda just relaxing but I'll be back home Friday night and I'm sure I will finish up what little stuff I have left then.

I was working on theast two things, oil relocation and the turbo back exhaust. The turbo back exhaust still isn't lining up properly, touches the k member in three different places, I don't have room anywhere to mount the oil relocation due to the turbo back.. I'm just done. I want to spend time with my family..

I was working on theast two things, oil relocation and the turbo back exhaust. The turbo back exhaust still isn't lining up properly, touches the k member in three different places, I don't have room anywhere to mount the oil relocation due to the turbo back.. I'm just done. I want to spend time with my family..

just walk away for a while and come back to it with a clear head. been where you too many times and its best to just take a break for a bit

Sorry I haven't posted lately. As most of you know I deployed, and my luxurious trip in Spain ended real quick and now I'm kicking sand in Africa.

We are going to play a game. If you can guess what I purchased, I will tell you if you are right. Till then, you will have to wait till it comes in the mail for photos :D but I hopefully should have the car started around February when I get home. Woot woot!

I think it has up to 6 stages. But I won't be doing it by gear, I'll just be doing it by time and ramp rate to control the curve. I still need to get the co2 tank and figure out a clean way to mount it.

Nice controller.  I've never bothered to mess with the boost by gear on my eBoost2... never really seen a reason, if it was a drag car sure, but its not.  It hooks well on 17lbs, I hit 2 buttons on the controller and I can turn it up to 22lbs in about 3 seconds, or 1 button to shut it off equally quick and just run on wastegate.

Single tune to run them all.  It's tuned to run on 22lbs and I just dial the boost back with the controller.  It just winds up making it richer and safer.  This was suggested to me by Bob Kurgan and works really well.

The only difference in my tunes is I have one for gas that tests out around E70 and one for gas that tests out as full blown E85.  Honestly, I usually never even bother switching them.  When my car dyno'd over 800 it was on E70.

Single tune to run them all.  It's tuned to run on 22lbs and I just dial the boost back with the controller.  It just winds up making it richer and safer.  This was suggested to me by Bob Kurgan and works really well.

The only difference in my tunes is I have one for gas that tests out around E70 and one for gas that tests out as full blown E85.  Honestly, I usually never even bother switching them.  When my car dyno'd over 800 it was on E70.

Not sure I would ever switch the tune to the e70.  I imagine the e70 tune will pull fuel to lean it out but hell if the car makes 800+ on e70 I would leave the extra fuel the e85 tune would run and just have an extra buffer against running to lean.  I hope I can get mine to run up near the power levels and drive-ability yours has!!

Not sure I would ever switch the tune to the e70.  I imagine the e70 tune will pull fuel to lean it out but hell if the car makes 800+ on e70 I would leave the extra fuel the e85 tune would run and just have an extra buffer against running to lean.  I hope I can get mine to run up near the power levels and drive-ability yours has!!

You're actually kind of thinking of it in reverse.  Obvious statement and I know you know this but E70 isn't as high of an octane as E85 and it will take more fuel for E70 to run equal power levels as E85.  So, when my tune is optimized for E70 if I dump E85 in the tank it just winds up richer and, in turn safer.  It's kind of like the same idea of dumping race gas in your fuel tank when you're tuned for 93.  

I run the E70 tune in the spring and fall when they put winter blend E85 in the pumps here and the gas is crap.  This is how Bob described it to me and told me to handle switching the tune, saying anything that tests over E75 it was safe to run my E85 tune (I hope people understand this is for my personal tune, don't interpret that as what you can do with your car).  If there is one thing you can absolutely count on with him, he'll tune the car safe no matter what.  The man has always done extremely right by me.

Sorry @copmagnet, didn't mean to get off on a tangent in your thread.

You're absolutely right... brain lapse on my end.   A e85 tune running e70 fuel will run richer.  Thanks for straightening me out, I work on natural gas engines all day everyday so working on the conversion from lambda scale to air fuel ratio for e85 and gas takes me a while haha.

@copmagnet meant to ask earlier but what wideband are you running?

You're absolutely right... brain lapse on my end.   A e85 tune running e70 fuel will run richer.  Thanks for straightening me out, I work on natural gas engines all day everyday so working on the conversion from lambda scale to air fuel ratio for e85 and gas takes me a while haha.

@copmagnet meant to ask earlier but what wideband are you running?

Aem inline.

I'm REALLY excited about this one. I'm actually surprised I waited three weeks to say something. But here it is!!

I tried to match them as close as possible to the mach gauge but it was slightly harder then expected.

My mom said the color is about a shade off, and its slightly crisper then the actual cluster, but I don't think it will be that noticeable. I had to have a slightly off shade during the day to have a matching color at night. My other option was perfect daytime color match and blue nighttime glow. Not about that life.

post-81-0-13151900-1450232179_thumb.jpeg

post-81-0-66232300-1450232190_thumb.jpeg

I'll be getting the mach 1 interior paint from lmr to match the bezels on the gauges to the cluster. Hopefully it's the same color.

@Lanter, this is why I got the aem inline wideband instead of the cheaper eugo. I was hoping nobody noticed what I was trying to do. I'm super super excited.

Today was a double downer.

Back when deciding on a fuel system I came down to two options.

1. Lethals division X and a Glenn's fuel tank. Cheaper then Glenn's complete kit.

2. The more expensive Glenn's kit, which had a photo of a fore fuel system, and Included the tank.

Well it arrived today and my mom being awesome ripped into it and sent me photos. Uber downer.

Everything but the regulator is division X!

What in the fuck?!

Why show a photo of a fore fuel system (you can clearly see "FORE" engraved on everything in the photo) and then send me a division X? Granted they didn't say anything in the discription about it being fore or lethal, bit the photo definitely misreprented the product being sold.

I am going to talk to Glenn's today and find out what the deal is.

I'd like to think I'm not over reacting. Whatchu think?

*edit* I decided to look at lethals site. After getting re pissed off about the price difference, I then noticed the kit on lethals includes the required harness needed to even use the fuel hat, and the fuel pressure gauge. Another $200 in parts to even make this system complete.

post-81-0-30842900-1450419132_thumb.jpeg

post-81-0-38317700-1450419150_thumb.jpeg

post-81-0-57206500-1450419164_thumb.jpeg

post-81-0-36445800-1450419178_thumb.jpeg

post-81-0-38872000-1450419191_thumb.jpeg

post-81-0-46373000-1450419217_thumb.jpeg

post-81-0-71765800-1450419229_thumb.jpeg

Which system did you go with?  Glenn's typically run their own filters and rails and FPR (if they have them in stock) but if they pictured Fore stuff and that's why you pulled the trigger that sucks, sorry man.  But on the bright side glenn's stuff is all top quality pieces that perform great!.  When I purchased mine everything I got was glenn's except the fore f2i regulator which I got since they were out of stock on their stuff.

My understanding was that all of the Gelnn's hats, regulators and rails for the modular cars was actually Fore stuff branded as Glenn's anyhow.  All of my interactions with Glenn's has been very positive.  If it bothers you that much I'm sure you'd be able to contact them and work with them on it.

I'd rather have the X-Division stuff over Fore anyhow, but that is a personal issue on my part.  Long story short, a few years ago Fore stole a picture of mine and used it on their website for advertising on their SN95 section.  I caught them and contacted them about it and they straight up lied to me about it providing the most ridiculous rationale that it wasn't my photo.  When I provided undeniable proof that it was in fact my picture and my car (metadata doesn't lie) they got real belligerent about it and still denied it.   I explained to them if they had asked my permission I wouldn't have had a problem with it but since they just stole it and because of how they reacted now I wanted them to take it down.  They got pretty rude telling me to basically piss off and said they wouldn't be replying any longer.   I refuse to do business with a company that has those sort of ethics and treats potential customers that way.

Which system did you go with?  Glenn's typically run their own filters and rails and FPR (if they have them in stock) but if they pictured Fore stuff and that's why you pulled the trigger that sucks, sorry man.  But on the bright side glenn's stuff is all top quality pieces that perform great!.  When I purchased mine everything I got was glenn's except the fore f2i regulator which I got since they were out of stock on their stuff.

I got the 1300hp system.

They didn't even send me a F2I, I got the old F1.

I'm pissed because I could have got the same fuel system from lethal for $600 less then Glenn's charged me. Not fucking cool.

Glenn's opens in 30 minutes or so, and I'll give them a call.