95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

• Moderators

anywho no more mock up thread hijack....are you going to refinish this cabinet or is it good to go?

Mr. OCD can't just leave cool patina alone.

i can't say shit though i mock up sub enclosures complete with port holes  B-)

anywho no more mock up thread hijack....are you going to refinish this cabinet or is it good to go?

Yea it's going to get refinished soon. I'm still trying to decide what colors I'm going to go with. I also need to make all the drawer inserts for it first.

Mr. OCD can't just leave cool patina alone.

Yup, shit brown and rust don't really fit into my way of doing things. Like I told you a couple days ago, I think patina is cool, I just don't like owning it!

Fantastic work man.  That vice came out MINT!  Very well done. 

Thanks! I have another 50's Craftsman vise coming, as well as another very interesting fabricated plate steel vise from a closed down telecom company in Ohio. And yea I know I know, why does someone need so many vises? Honestly I have no idea, I just like vises haha.

• Moderators

Yup, shit brown and rust don't really fit into my way of doing things. Like I told you a couple days ago, I think patina is cool, I just don't like owning it!

LOL.  I was just giving you crap is all!

LOL.  I was just giving you crap is all!

Yea I know, lol. I do think patina is cool, like light rust, scratches, layers of paint showing through, etc. But the bottom of this cabinet needs some serious attention since the previous owner sat it on a piece of office carpet in his basement for about 15 years, and at some point the carpet got wet... The carpet was fused to the bottom, I scraped it off with a putty knife. Fixing the bottom will ruin any patina continuity so it's all a wash at that point. Pretty sure the cabinet will end up battleship gray with red drawer faces and silver pulls, but I'm still tossing ideas around in my head.

On the vises, just spray enamel, then I use clear coat for wheels followed by a LOT of curing time before I use them.

For the cabinet, I'll probably use an epoxy for more durability.

On the vises, just spray enamel, then I use clear coat for wheels followed by a LOT of curing time before I use them.

For the cabinet, I'll probably use an epoxy for more durability.

gosh are you really going to use that vise  :( ?

gosh are you really going to use that vise  :( ?

Of course! Kind of defeats the purpose if you don't use it lol. It won't be seeing any hammer blows or anything though, it'll mostly be for the finer things like assembling fittings, lines, etc.

Of course! Kind of defeats the purpose if you don't use it lol. It won't be seeing any hammer blows or anything though, it'll mostly be for the finer things like assembling fittings, lines, etc.

right....it's just so vintage and cool

that is a cool vise no doubt but I can't have a vise that I can't beat on myself.  I was just flattening some metal on it last week.  The old 70s craftsman I got when my neighbor moved thankfully is nice enough to take it but not nice enough to be afraid to beat on it.  I am a little surprised that the mounting foot I had to weld back on has held up as I have put it to the test.

that is a cool vise no doubt but I can't have a vise that I can't beat on myself.  I was just flattening some metal on it last week.  The old 70s craftsman I got when my neighbor moved thankfully is nice enough to take it but not nice enough to be afraid to beat on it.  I am a little surprised that the mounting foot I had to weld back on has held up as I have put it to the test.

The vise will see plenty of use, just not any beating. I have another 4" craftsman that I'm not afraid to beat on. If I'm flattening metal, it wouldn't be on a vise because I have an anvil for that.

So last weekend I found myself with a couple hours of free time and started looking at my Craftsman 4" vise and Grizzly anvil that didn't match the new vise, so I decided to change that. You can see the Craftsman hangin out in the back of this picture:

aHxmmQ.jpg

So it got prepped, started by disassembling it:

DTRV0S.jpg

Then stripping/prepping began, I also ground down some of the shitty casting edges and blemishes while I was at it. Since I have an anvil for pounding stuff on now, I also did the belt sander treatment to restore the anvil area of the vise too.

CBdOqH.jpg

Then it was the anvil's turn

Wd7i1k.jpg

W9ATas.jpg

KBrIWF.jpg

Masked:

7nnUep.jpg

Primed:

FTxA2G.jpg

Laid down some beautiful Verde Green (addicted to this color now lol)

AeEFN8.jpg

Then let the parts cure for a while

sKkGFF.jpg

Q2lTtj.jpg

Some detail work

QShq9Z.jpg

jtymc0.jpg

GBZy2L.jpg

Couldn't resist throwing the jaws on and putting it together somewhat before letting it cure a week so I could assemble it completely

PQ942a.jpg

Fast forward a week, reassembled and ready to go

JhlH2L.jpg

Chillin with its matching brothers, lol

KoT9Md.jpg

I also added another to the collection. This is a 50's Craftsman, and it's just dripping with cool 50's style, I love it. Got it like this, stripped to bare metal, I'll be getting to work on it soon.

icQs6w.jpg

IbmEMQ.jpg

w7isnx.jpg

Last weekend I got an email from a guy I bought stuff from previously that a friend of his had a machine he wanted to sell, but didn't know any specifics. I figured why not, and told him to have his buddy go ahead and send me some pics/info. So he sends me a couple photos, and I about shit my pants with excitement. Ever since I started working at my job, I've been in love with the belt grinder we have in the metal shop, and I've always dreamed of having one. Low and behold, the friend was selling the EXACT SAME mother f'ing machine, and for the attractive price of only $300 (this machine is about an $1800-$2000+ machine new)

rIJ9cq.jpg

I immediately emailed him back and said I would take it, and made plans to drive 3h 15m to the suburbs of Columbus, OH and back to get it. Fast forward to yesterday, it was finally in its new home, Scion tC doing work as usual:

E0ueYI.jpg

It came with a couple extra wheels and a large bundle of extra belts, mostly wood belts though, so I'll have to grab some 2x72 metal belts for it.

Still needs bolted down, but here it is in its new resting place. First on the list is rewiring for 115v (wired for 230v right now but it's a dual voltage motor), cleaning it up and getting it fully functional. Eventually I'll give it a repaint but for now it'll just get used.

ly2uC6.jpg

716iBC.jpg

Made in USA baby!

SnxsZh.jpg

2hp Baldor motor :2thumb:

aamp1M.jpg

Always one to maximize a trip, I also picked up a cool vise from his buddy while there. This came from the Newark Telephone company when it closed down many years ago. Its history other than that is a mystery, but it was so interesting I decided it should be mine. It has some very interesting jaws that are both regular flat jaws and pipe jaws in one, has a swivel-style handle and the most unique aspect being that it's made of welded 1/4" and 3/8" plate steel. This will also get the OCD treatment soon, lol.

JKqcoc.jpg

rmpu1j.jpg

SYHo7d.jpg

qhbpjH.jpg

The new additions all hangin out together. Really starting to love my little shop!

1FmDpY.jpg

I know you all would rather see updates on my car, but I figured I'd share what I've been doing while I wait for parts, lol. Once I do get the parts, I'll be much better equipped to finish the car, that's for damn sure, lol. I have just as much excitement for growing my collection of tools and machinery as I do for working on my car, so this has been helping me keep my sanity in the meantime!

omfg man you are NOT fn around!! the craftsman vice refinished...awesome...the road trip to get that badass belt grinder...awesome....the fact that you were in cols, ohio and did not gimme a shout to drank a little drank....GAY!!!!  <_<

Haha sorry Tony. It actually crossed my mind but I knew if I stopped in to meet the big man himself I'd end up bullshitting for at least a couple hours. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but my wife was at work yesterday and I was trying to get home and get it unloaded before she got home to avoid questions lol. She wouldn't have a problem with it but sometimes I don't feel like explaining why I need whatever new thing I just bought lol.

lmao i do this a lot!! love when my wife works weekends :D  

Yea it sounds bad, but it's nice to have a day here and there where I don't have to explain why I'm going to drive 6.5 hours to Ohio and back to get a dirty, 20+ year old machine lol.

Modding old tools to mod an old car FTW. Lol

You know it! Honestly I find myself liking things that can be described as "new" less and less. My car is almost too new for my tastes these days haha.

• Moderators

Haha sorry Tony. It actually crossed my mind but I knew if I stopped in to meet the big man himself I'd end up bullshitting for at least a couple hours. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but my wife was at work yesterday and I was trying to get home and get it unloaded before she got home to avoid questions lol. She wouldn't have a problem with it but sometimes I don't feel like explaining why I need whatever new thing I just bought lol.

This.  I love that my wife and I have school on different nights.  It gives me a chance to go do some stuff without questions lol.  Of course she will be digging in my toolbox for something notice sooner or later.  "Where'd xxxx come from?" "No idea what you're talking about honey."

Ah... no idea how I didn't immediately know that... :rolleyes: lol

Lol my bad dog! You gotta get your car down to mustang alley and the dream cruise though, it was killer this year! I talked to terry and Julie Allen with the t-top coupe for probably an hour and a half Saturday and Sunday at the mustang memories show.

Lol my bad dog! You gotta get your car down to mustang alley and the dream cruise though, it was killer this year! I talked to terry and Julie Allen with the t-top coupe for probably an hour and a half Saturday and Sunday at the mustang memories show.

It's cool lol, and yea it would be awesome to get my car there! Terry and Julie are awesome, pretty much the married couple we all wish we could be someday. Julie is as much if not more into cars as Terry, lol.

WOW man I'm just gonna make this simple and say that everything in here is freakin' awesome.  Those Scions are great cars too.  A good buddy of mine has a white one and is a musician and I couldn't believe how much equipment he fit in there.  Couple amps, guitars, drum kit.  Pretty much the whole bands stuff.

WOW man I'm just gonna make this simple and say that everything in here is freakin' awesome.  Those Scions are great cars too.  A good buddy of mine has a white one and is a musician and I couldn't believe how much equipment he fit in there.  Couple amps, guitars, drum kit.  Pretty much the whole bands stuff.

Thanks! Yea it's been a surprisingly versatile little gas sipper over the past few years. My only complaint is the lack of height toward the rear of the cargo area, it has limited me several times but that's the sacrifice they made to keep a trunk appearance on the outside of the car. I think an Audi A3, WRX hatch or VW Golf would be even better options, but all would come with maintenance costs that I'm not interested in, lol. I keep telling myself I need to just buy a truck/SUV already, but I really enjoy getting 27mpg average, and about 31mpg on long trips. I had a Ford Edge at the end of last year as a rental when some dumb bitch pulled out of her driveway directly into the side of my car and honestly I fell in love with that thing. If they weren't in the $40k ballpark, I'd probably have one already. The first generation are pretty cheap these days, but I don't care for how they look, the facelift did wonders for them. The baller inside me wants the Edge Sport with factory 22's lol

This is a the kind of thread you browse with your feet up and an ice cold beer in your hand! So. Much. Awesome.

Thanks Steve! I plan to keep it coming, I'm already planning some modifications to the belt grinder to fix issues I've always had with the one we have at work. Specifically the tracking wheel that centers the belt... the factory setup has no adjustment so I'm going to fab an adjustable tracking wheel mount that will let me adjust it dead on. Picking up a power cord this week so I can rewire the machine for 115v and get it running at least, then I'll get working on the tracking mods. I want to get this thing operational asap because once you use one to dress the edges and shape metal, you'll rarely touch an angle grinder after that lol.

So I went down to the garage to grab a screwdriver to fix a towel rack in the bathroom and ended up looking over at my work bench... then ended up spending about 45 minutes messing around with the mystery vise. Most vises are designed with some method in mind for disassembling them, usually you can turn the handle all the way out and the slide will come out... not the case with this one. On top of that, nobody I've shown this vise to (even very knowledgeable guys when it comes to old vises) has any idea who made it.

The problem is this little pin between the slides, when you run the jaw all the way out, it runs into the nut that the screw turns in.

MYfoIG.jpg

So I decided to start disassembling whatever I could to possibly discover a way to break this thing down. Started by pulling the base and lock ring off

mRBFRJ.jpg

Looking forward at the lead screw behind the handle, I spotted a roll pin which appeared to be what held the screw in place.

Xotb4w.jpg

pzjDZu.jpg

Hammer + punch = good to go

CE637X.jpg

60rCb2.jpg

These beastly jaws were next

5XUSMu.jpg

GFkPoU.jpg

KRHbEE.jpg

The second jaw was a bit more stuck... time for some leverage

0FTJIi.jpg

IKofZd.jpg

s0LnAQ.jpg

Turning back to the pin that runs into the nut, here's the situation on that:

P6oTHq.jpg

nOfOcx.jpg

My next thought was to try and remove the nut, but nope, that is welded in top and bottom

MoLKbX.jpg

PYq5BK.jpg

The pin between the slides does move and spin, so it's obviously just sitting in some recesses. I may try putting the jaws all the way together, then seeing if I can flex the slides out just enough to let the pin fall out. If so, this thing will be ready to start stripping and prepping. For now though, here's how it sits until the next time I walk by lol.

e2YeRb.jpg

Well wouldn't you know... I found myself walking past the vise again... well, might as well spend a few more minutes right?

A little spreading of the slides using a contraption of a steel wedge and two large C clamps allowed me to remove the pin :2thumb:

Bkn3ir.jpg

Here's the little guy causing all the trouble, lol

oReA2b.jpg

9np0dW.jpg

Ready to get stripped and prepped!

XwQEei.jpg

That is a pretty interesting vise there.  I almost wonder if it's a really well made homebrew vise.

I feel you on the gas mileage.  I love my truck but man I hate paying for all the gas it sucks down.  After my previous reply I got to thinking maybe I could get by with a car like yours or something similar, trying to convince myself that I don't NEED a truck.  Since then I've loaded the bed full about 3 times with big things like a couch, box spring, grill, kiddie pool, trash, etc.  I'll also need it to tow cars someday, so I guess I do need one. 

That is a pretty interesting vise there.  I almost wonder if it's a really well made homebrew vise.

I feel you on the gas mileage.  I love my truck but man I hate paying for all the gas it sucks down.  After my previous reply I got to thinking maybe I could get by with a car like yours or something similar, trying to convince myself that I don't NEED a truck.  Since then I've loaded the bed full about 3 times with big things like a couch, box spring, grill, kiddie pool, trash, etc.  I'll also need it to tow cars someday, so I guess I do need one. 

Yea I really like the unique aspect of it, I think it deserves to retire in a second life making cool stuff for cars.

I keep thinking about getting a truck, the mileage just won't work for me. I'd basically double my fuel costs so I could haul something once a week or every other week... that doesn't make sense for me yet. Every time I'm sitting at a red light next to a nice crew cab short bed, I'll admit I get jealous.

I bought more things over the weekend, Chris already got previews but I'll be posting them in here when I get some time :2thumb: The plan is to wrap up these few garage projects while I let the mustang parts roll in, then start hitting the mustang again when I have a few things ready to go. Just got really tired of doing one thing at a time, then waiting weeks, then another, etc. I'd rather just have a bunch of stuff ready to go and start knocking it out.