scottydsntknow

Anyone using Philips Crystalvision Ultra bulbs?

My 98 came from the PO with blue HIDs in stock Cobra housings.  They scatter the light with hotspots like crazy, they have shitty small incandescent lights built into them for the hi-beams that actually make the visibility almost nothing when they are on and honestly I could see much better out of my 95 Cobra with Silverstars in the housings.  I'm going to rip out these HIDs here whenever I get done with my intake but I keep hearing about the Philips Crystalvision Ultra bulbs as being as good or better than Silverstar Ultras.  Only issue I had with the Silverstars is life and the price, I can get Philips Headlights and two Philips fogs for $40 shipped to my door from Amazon.  I hear they are as bright or brighter and last longer.  

So anyone running them?

Gwar

The 893s are the fogs and they're $20 too or just about.  

Probably going to order them tonight.  Every review I see is positive pretty much, say they are on par with the SS Ultras and half the price.  I do kind of want to save the HIDs in case I don't like incandescents but I don't have the covers... might want to order covers from somewhere.  

Here are the 893 fogs.  Just ordered the twin pack of headlights and 2x single pack of the fogs.  $44 shipped to my door vs $50 for just the Silverstar Ultras at a local store or wherever.  

Now just need to wait for my new PI manifold to get here, put the motor back together, redo the back brakes and then the big job of doing the trans.  Hope to have this biotch ready for Spring and stop driving my wife's CR-V to work lol.

Finally got these in today.  Jury is still out, I need to get the car out at night and get my foglight wiring short fixed tomorrow but I'm not sure they are as white as I remember the silverstars being.  Still, they are bright and I once again have operational highbeams.

Upon further review, these are good bulbs but not ultra white like the Silverstars I've had before and definitely not a pure white like a HID can be.  I am going to be doing DEPO blacked out projectors with smoked amber corners and smoke my Envoy fogs and then re-installing the HIDs except this time with 5k bulbs and some Silverstar 9005s for the hi-beams.  These bulbs are plenty bright though and will be serviceable until I actually get the DEPOs in.

And... these were on the shelf in the garage after they came out for my HIDs just chilling.  Cat escaped into the garage, I hear something break and... yeah that was an expensive cat excursion.  Oh well, was not going to use them again anyway.

Upon further research and educating myself on halogens and HIDs and everything else in the lighting world.  You do NOT want a bulb with a blue film on it, PERIOD, which these have so I can't recommend them.  Like Silverstars (which I used to run a lot) they are a gimmick and I'm sad I wasted money on them.  

Honestly if you want bright headlights in a 94-98 you have two options. One is a true HID retrofit, the other is the DEPO housings (or the Raxioms if you like junk ricer lights) with either halogens or HIDs.  The DEPO housings come loaded with OEM Philips 9006 (lo) and 9005(hi) bulbs that are pretty damn bright on their own.  However, you can modify a tab on the mega bright Philips 9012(lo) and 9011(hi) HIR bulbs to fit in the 9006/5 slots for a 30-40% bump in lumens and a white light that is white because it is effing bright not because someone put blue film on it.  I currently have 9011s loaded in the DEPO projector hi-beam spots to compliment my XenonDepot 4300k HIDs going in the lo-beams.