F8L GT

Custom 3650 face plate build

Im just a little bracket racer but I just wanted to show you my work. About mid way through the 2010 season, I got the natorious 3rd gear synchronizer problem in my TR-3650. With starting a new family I did not have the funds to buy the upgrade kit for the 3650. After talking to my dad, we decided to face plate my transmission. All of the work was done my me, on manual mills and lathes with the exception of the tig welding. That was done by my father.

Started out by blue printing the dog rings to get a rough idea of where to start milling

Dog rings were made out of 8620 raw stock

The gear side in process

05281419.jpg

06020224.jpg

06020224a.jpg

The Slider side for engaging 2nd gear

06020246.jpg

06020313.jpg

Turning down the gears to remove the synchronizing teeth and for the shrink fit of the dog rings

05251616a.jpg

05251703.jpg

05252114.jpg

Once the correct tolerances were made for the shrink fit, the dog rings were put in the oven and gears put in the freezer. After a while they parts were mated together

IMAG0042.jpg

06061917.jpg

After the were cooled down, they were put back on the lathe to be faced to proper size

1d3bbba2.jpg

48256b46.jpg

c14e24c2.jpg

For the 3rd-4th slider, we made a whole new slider. we turned the sides down of the stock on so just a hub and splines remaind and then mated the 2 and tig welded them together

download1.jpg

878b4d46.jpg

7e6276e0.jpg

0ae3c7f4.jpg

during some test fitting, we ran across some clearance issues that were easily addressed

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

173b5bb2.jpg

once the clearance issues were fixed, the rings were welded to the gears instead of just relying on the shrink fit

trans41.jpg

trans40.jpg

All the parts ready to install

trans42.jpg

Re-assembly

trans44.jpg

d0e57343.jpg

035839ce.jpg

trans45.jpg

trans46.jpg

The trans was put together with the stock shift forks. We new they would not last but we were not sure for how long. I had been messing with a clutch stop to only engage it enough to make the quick shift. It however gave me issues with 3rd gear. This, i think weakend the shift fork and on July 8th of 2011, it decided to let go.

carnage2.jpg

carnage3.jpg

It took out 4th gear with it. After analyizing 4th gear, we decided it was not strong enough so we started over.

Machined off old dog ring

inputshaft3.jpg

Machined down 4th gear to make a thicker hub

inputshaft2.jpg

inputshaft.jpg

Machining new dog ring

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

once the dog ring was done, the input and ring were mated and faced down

IMAG0012.jpg

Ring welded to input

IMAG0018.jpg

Getting ring up to 1500 for oil quench heat treat

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

after oil quench, the input was placed in an oven at 500* for 3 hours for the annealing process. This is the input after it came out

IMAG0019.jpg

By comparing the old and new inputs, you can tell how much beefier this new one is

old:

trans40.jpg

new:

IMAG0018.jpg

Took the car out for a ride on June 2nd, first time this transmission has seen actual street use other than trial runs down our dead end road. Well, the slider we modified for 1-2 did not hold up real well. I down shifted a little too early to make a corner and it never felt right after that. I dicided to try a WOT shift from 1-2 and this is what happened

IMAG0282.jpg

Busted all the lugs of the slider clean off. So we dicided to go back to the drawing board and do the same thing we did for the slider for 3-4. Only this time we were just going to have the center splined to match rather than mating the splines of the factory slider to the new piece, but no one would get back to use about it and I got tired of waiting.

Machined factory slider

Resampled_IMAG0287.jpg

Machining new slider

1338857824053.jpg

1338857829355.jpg

New slider and old splines mated together

Resampled_2012-06-06_11-17-51_274.jpg

As you can see, we also decided to upgrade from 4 lugs to 8 and also made them thicker since 2nd gear takes more abuse as far as load with down shifting and also starting the burnouts in 2nd

The trans is back together now but not quite working like it should. The lugs of the dog ring for second are too large and closed the engagement window too far and can not do a WOT shift. This winter I will be pulling the trans back out and machining a little more clearance. The shift forks were also sent to liberty to be cryo-treated to help them last a little longer.

Damn thats some great work you pops have done. Sucks your having so many issues with it.

Why not spend the extra money and pickup a set of Billet forks?

No one makes billet forks for a 3650 yet. Bob Hanlon had a 2-3 fork made by his supplier. Going to see how well it works out. Then have them make me a custom one

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

No one makes billet forks for a 3650 yet. Bob Hanlon had a 2-3 fork made by his supplier. Going to see how well it works out. Then have them make me a custom one

Honestly i think you could make one based on the pics your posting, but either way that would be sick to upgrade as in most 5 Speeds the forks are the weak links when your grabbin gears.

Very impressive work my friend! I was recently playing around with the idea of making my own very similar to what you are doing. but Liberty gears is right up the street form me and after talking to the guys I realized they sell the parts by themselves and you can turn the teeth off your own gears and weld them on for cheep enough that my labor doesn't justify trying to do what you are doing. not to mention I would probably have a big pile of scrap metal before I turned out the quality of work you have there. great job man!

Don't they sell them complete ready to slide on for $80 ish per gear. Or was that the dog rings alone? Im on the fence if I just want to go with billet forks and leave it be or if I should invest the money and go face plated :(

Heads up and ass kickin!

Very impressive work my friend! I was recently playing around with the idea of making my own very similar to what you are doing. but Liberty gears is right up the street form me and after talking to the guys I realized they sell the parts by themselves and you can turn the teeth off your own gears and weld them on for cheep enough that my labor doesn't justify trying to do what you are doing. not to mention I would probably have a big pile of scrap metal before I turned out the quality of work you have there. great job man!

When I tasked to liberty, they said to do a 3650 would be to expensive because they would have to do a lot of testing and change a lot of stuff compared to the t56. They wanted 5k just to build one out of a 3650

When I tasked to liberty, they said to do a 3650 would be to expensive because they would have to do a lot of testing and change a lot of stuff compared to the t56. They wanted 5k just to build one out of a 3650

Thats F'in nuts that they even gave you a price like that.Ever thought of just running a T/45for the ease of getting stronger/better parts that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Heads up and ass kickin!

Sorry, it was 3500. here's the email

The TR-3650 is a intricate transmission to face plate. The gears have to be combo'd to the face plate instead of installing the face plate on the cone of the gear and we have to manufacture custom forks. The entire process would cost roughly $3,500. To be honest you would be better off using a T-56, it is a stronger transmission and in the case of the Ford version is a lot less expensive to face plate. We can face plate a T-56 from a Cobra for about $750. The turn around time is about 3-4 weeks.

Thanks, Brandon

and I will be going 18 spline

Thank god you have the tools/skills to make it happen tho. You did some nice work. I just hope it stays together for you this time.

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

If it breaks again that's just one more step to making it stronger

f8L I like were your head is at. Cant buy parts so I'll make my own, dont tell me what cant be done, type of stuff. and keep at her till you get her right. very inspiring in the world of going to the internet to find out what other people are doing and just copy step by step. Really inspiring that you did what you had to do with the funds and talent available. cheers man!

onyx. Face Plating Is one of several similar procedures to make your trans drop into gear faster and at a higher rpm. The basic jist with all of the different names for similar modifications ( silck shift, proshift, faceplate, dog ring, ets) is you reduce the number of, or surface area of the engagement teeth on the gears and sliders that mate with them to complete a shift. for instance a home brewed "slick shift" is to grind every other tooth of your gear and every other tooth off the slider that mates with it. this way there are half as many obstructions when the teeth on both the slider, syncro, and gear are trying to mesh. the way it was first explained to me, and it might even be in the liberty link posted above, i didnt read it, is picture a picket fence. you are driving a car and trying to throw a stick out the window at 45mph throw the fence. take out every other fence post and it becomes a lot easier to get the stick through the fence. that is the striped down explanation but the basic principle that all these mods use. most of this type of modification is considered to be not street friendly, some because of excessive wear on the parts as 1/2 the teeth bear twice the load, and half because when you drive them they have such a big tolerance between the engagement surfaces that when you are not under full load they can clunk and bang and such. especially down shifting. F8L can correct and expand on any street ability issues much more than I can Im sure. I had a buddy with a face plated trans in a fox. i took a short ride with him but we were beating the hell out of it and he was showing off so i am pretty much going on hear say.

Most of the streetability problems comes from the shifting. You have to push in the clutch and ram it back into gear all simultaneously or you will be bouncing the lugs off each other. There's no more leisure shifting like with a synchronized Trans

F8l is there such thing as floating the gratis in clutchless like you would on a semi truck? I have herd what you said about shit or get off the pot when you shift and always wondered of you can match em with a double clutch or float em in like a big rig

Here is a video from 2011 when we first put the trans in. As you can hear, there were some issues with clearance that we took care of the next few times it was out

http://www.streetfire.net/video/faceplated-tr3650-trial_2229201.htm

Heres a video from this spring right before my slider desided to blow apart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzOVT6OCjY0&feature=g-upl