ttocs

rear fender flares - project started!

Like Dan said, it's really coming together now and looking good. I like how that last shot you can see the flare, smoothed scoop, and door handle. Can't wait to see it all finished, painted, and shiny. I'll admit you've inspired me a bit....been staring at my Cobra lately thinking how I could do some flared fenders and maybe spruce up the side scoops somehow.

I am hoping the personalized license plate of "SMOOTH" is not taken after this.  From the door handles, into the brake vent, into the flare, into the fuel door delete right around to the smoothed back end.  Did a small touch to the bumper as well.

9102711398038869-88041c9dee.jpg

in the end I squeezed an addition 1/2" out of it after rolling the inner fender.  That is a thick sucker with the double wall not sure how you could fold it up an further..

Agreed, It is a pain in the azz.  I rolled mine up to almost touching the backside of the fender.  Took several days with the Eastwood fender roller going slow and it still didn't turn out 100% to my liking.

We rolled it up completely on one customers car.  Rippled the crap out of the fender but it was going in for paint/body work anyway.

Our sn95's rear fender lips are some of the hardest to roll of any make it seems...

I'm going to be rolling the living shit out of mine to get them to clear and tuck my rears, it's going to be interesting... lol. I fully expect to be doing some cutting inside the wheel well to make that happen but I'm not scared lol. I'm planning on painting the quarters and side skirts anyway so I'm not too worried about it. I may end up just painting both sides of the car to ensure everything matches well.

I'm going to be rolling the living shit out of mine to get them to clear and tuck my rears, it's going to be interesting... lol. I fully expect to be doing some cutting inside the wheel well to make that happen but I'm not scared lol. I'm planning on painting the quarters and side skirts anyway so I'm not too worried about it. I may end up just painting both sides of the car to ensure everything matches well.

A word of advice.  Go Slowwwwww.  I bought a fender roller just so I could take my time.

I too, will go for the full fold and pull when the time comes to paint the car.  Would love to get the fender closer to sitting on the 335's. But for now I just wanted to keep from cutting the tires up under full articulation.

Have to give ttocs credit for cutting into the fenders.  I have no problem cutting up body panels but cutting up the rear fenders gives me the willies.

I talked to someone with a fender roller for sale, he told me to save my cash and use some wood/hammer.  so I did....

Nice, used to use baseball bats.  I will say I like the fender roller better, though.  Just personal preference. 

Your cars coming together, very cool.

Looks great!  I have been wanting to do this on my race car for some time.

I have a question:  When you cut through the fender, how far up from lip was the double wall?  Did you use any kind of body panel filler from the backside to fill in the gap?

My first cut was maybe 1.5" up from the edge of the fender and it was double thickness all the way around.  It took a while to make the first cut because of that as the first layer is the outside of the car but the inner layer bends in towards the fender so it like to keep grabbing the saw blade and kicking it out or locking it up.  After it was all done outside I was able to make some small cuts inside the fender perpendicular to that first cut and then hammer them up/out till they were nearly flush with the new outer lip.  I wanted to weld them together but with out a lift or removing the rear end its really hard to get inside the wheel well and weld inside the fender where I needed it so I used a few dabs of 3m panel bonding adhesive in the cuts/joints to seal it up and prevent future rust.