arayray

arayray's 96 Cobra Build

No much has been happening, took the car for a nice drive last week. It still is smoking but no nearly as bad anymore. I'm hoping its just from sitting for so long. 

I am working on a custom metal rad support cover since no one sells one for 94-98 mustangs. I still have to make many revisions to it, hopefully I can get it dialed in and it will allow the hood to shut (fingers crossed).

IMG_20140828_173057_zps78sxqobc.jpg

Cleaned it up for a car show in town next week!

IMG_20140829_193414_zps4nt7zzbg.jpg

You should consider putting some wheel spacers in the back to bring the wheels flush with the fender.  It'd really do a lot to enhance the look of the car.

That's on the list after I finish up my coolant crossover delete and under the hood dress up.

No much has been happening, took the car for a nice drive last week. It still is smoking but no nearly as bad anymore. I'm hoping its just from sitting for so long. 

I am working on a custom metal rad support cover since no one sells one for 94-98 mustangs. I still have to make many revisions to it, hopefully I can get it dialed in and it will allow the hood to shut (fingers crossed).

IMG_20140828_173057_zps78sxqobc.jpg

Cleaned it up for a car show in town next week!

IMG_20140829_193414_zps4nt7zzbg.jpg

I am going to make my own cover as well but not because they are not available.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-stainless-steel-radiator-cover-94.html

if carbon fiber tickles yer fancy.

http://special-carbonfiber.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=243

I am going to make my own cover as well but not because they are not available.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-stainless-steel-radiator-cover-94.html

if carbon fiber tickles yer fancy.

http://special-carbonfiber.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=243

None of the ones available are what I am looking for.

I just found this though, I may end up trying to remake this:

CF-radcover98-1a.jpg

I was going to go metal but now the more I think about it I could make one 10x better out of glass then I could metal and it would be lighter and could make the last layer CF to go with the theme or just wrap/hydrodip it.  I did a project on my stereo where rather then using fleece as the first layer I used poster board for a flat section to keep it from sagging and it worked really well.  I think it would work perfectly for this as well to keep the flat section flat and as easy as scissors and cardboard to make the pattern and then a couple layers of the real matt on the top and then skin a layer of CF on top and it could work pretty cool I think.

Yesterday I got my coolant crossover delete in from ON3 (Link), I can't wait to install it! I am going to wait until next week because of the car show this weekend. I am hoping to get the coolant crossover in and finish up the rad cover while it is down.

IMG_20140903_181118_zpsix3d5f6k.jpg

Started my ON3 Performance Coolant Crossover Delete project and ran into some issues... Found that the IMRC were covering up most of the bolt hole that is used with the kit, so I now had to take the intake manifold off to get access to that area. Once I got that off and started to see how I am going to need to cut the IMRC & Mounting tab, I realized the thread on the bolt that came with the kit is different than thread on my block, I believe it is an 8mm hole but the kit came with a 6mm.

After that set back, I decided to clean my IMRC.. Sticking with them until I can do a C head swap on it. Lacquer thinner or carb cleaner cleans them right up. I let them soak in lacquer thinner and used a small bush to get in there.

Next up is to get my alternator rebuilt and get the outer case powdercoated. Should be nice, hoping to have the coolant lines and everything in by Friday & start putting the manifold & stuff back on..

Draining the coolant out

IMG_20140909_090532_zpsopeucfvg.jpg

IMG_20140909_090613_zps8x2hmbno.jpg

IMG_20140909_090654_zpsy0mbjlbn.jpg

IMG_20140909_105842_zps8bq8uw71.jpg

Crossover Removed

IMG_20140910_083943_zpszbf9k7qr.jpg

Notice that the bolt hole is cover by the end of the IMRC

IMG_20140909_114901_zps4vaj9naw.jpg

The mounting tab and IMRC are going to need to be cut so it can fit in and allow the bolt to go in

IMG_20140909_163705_zpsdozh8ipb.jpg

Intake Manifold off

IMG_20140910_153920_zpsffz2xqsb.jpg

The mounting tab is going to need to be notched in order to fit in along with some of the IMRC cut out

IMG_20140910_161853_zpsm67o2qke.jpg

IMRC Before & After cleaning

SI_20140910_181931_zpsgozmuodm.jpeg

The bolt hole is different on earlier 96 and possibly more cars, I believe it is an 8mm where the kit comes with a 6mm

IMG_20140910_162749_zpsnukaow0w.jpg

What a pain in the butt.  What you thought would be a somewhat simple job turns into a huge project lol.  Such is life in the world of a Mustang owner -_-

There was lots of swearing and cursing ford engineers while removing it hahah. Hopefully it will run better with the IMRC cleaned up, I planned on seafoaming it but never got around to it..

I actually forgot about that issue with the IMRC's and bolts.  I had obviously had to cut mine down too and find new bolts when I still had b-heads on the car.  Wasn't the end of the world.  Only a few extra minutes to pull the intake and hacksaw them when the coolant crossover was off anyway.

I actually forgot about that issue with the IMRC's and bolts.  I had obviously had to cut mine down too and find new bolts when I still had b-heads on the car.  Wasn't the end of the world.  Only a few extra minutes to pull the intake and hacksaw them when the coolant crossover was off anyway.

How far did you cut yours? I cut it down pretty far, I may need to try and cut it how the MMR Deletes are shaped.

How far did you cut yours? I cut it down pretty far, I may need to try and cut it how the MMR Deletes are shaped.

It wasn't a huge amount.  I laid the mount on top of the IMRC plate where it should go, marked it out with a sharpie and then cut it.  It amounted to basically nipping the corner off at a diagonal by maybe 1/4" to 1/2" or so.

Finally got the coolant crossover delete kit parts to fit, I ground the edge of the IMRC plates to match the shape of the lower IMRC gasket which allowed enough room to slip the mouting tab in place. 

After getting everything to fit right, I painted the mounting tabs and the bolts for them and also painted the clamps for the thermostat housing. Should have the braided hose tomorrow and the IMRC gaskets.

IMG_20140912_163919_zpslzog5fgb.jpg

IMG_20140912_163034_zpstmurh5lh.jpg

IMG_20140912_163928_zpsxqxfalbf.jpg

IMG_20140912_163939_zpsoaksmxhi.jpg

IMG_20140912_155928_zpsc3cxxrjj.jpg

IMG_20140912_160734_zpsxya5uuux.jpg

IMG_20140912_155906_zpsyhmgihxl.jpg

Got alot done today, I wrapped everything up and got my breather/catch can painted. I had to mount it in a new spot since the braided hoses were in the way. My dad also clear coated my intake plaque  :)

I am working on some more engine bay appearance mods, I am planning for the following:

Finish my custom metal rad support covers w/ 'COBRA' lettering done in green

Rebuild Alternator & Powdercoat black

Install my new custom intake plaque

Paint my new JLT Ram Air intake (ABS Plastic) shiny black w/ clearcoat

Order Anchor Room Battery & Fuse Box cover (ABS Plastic), paint them shiny black w/ clearcoat

Order Canton Powersteering Tank & Powdercoat black

Not sure yet if I am going to go with a metal Expansion Tank yet because they don't have provisions for low coolant sensor...

Excuse the dirty engine bay  <_<

IMG_20140918_150447_zps5uhkl14m.jpg

IMG_20140918_173810_zpsditlihmb.jpg

Got my braided hose & fittings in today and I got them assembled and put on the car. Only thing left to do is do a final tightening of all the connections and put the remaining coolant in. 

IMG_20140916_182634_zpsmutxkwyq.jpg

i like the black braided more than the stainless. maybe because when i try to use the stainless it gets all frayed and shit idk but this looks good. 

i like the black braided more than the stainless. maybe because when i try to use the stainless it gets all frayed and shit idk but this looks good. 

That intake plaque should look really cool on there.  Nice job!

Thank you! I can't wait to put it on  :D

I really like the black also, it looks cleaner I think. 

Today I got my JLT Intake in and installed it. My Autometer Coolant Temp Gauge wasn't working right since I installed the new coolant crossover delete pieces since they don't have a good ground, to fix this I soldered a ground wire around the thread of the sensor and attached it to the alternator ground. Works great now and is dead accurate.

I adjusted the fan settings a bit to help keep the car cool, I set the low speed fan temp to 186 and the high speed fan temp to 196 (with a 180 thermostat). I took it for a nice drive and the temps never went over 190.  :D

IMG_20140919_172229_zpsjoifriis.jpg

IMG_20140919_110612_zpsuzqyxv60.jpg

IMG_20140919_115318_zpssr2q2zju.jpg

SI_20140919_175824_zpsqfch9wig.jpeg

I noticed immediately that my car idled better and when you would rev it, it would always hang at about 1100 RPM and then drop. It rarely ever does that, I know it could also be the IAC but that was the first thing I noticed. I'm not sure about pep or power because I also cleaned my IMRC at the same time. 

It has to have better airflow that the stock piece though, even though everyone says 'the stock one is a cai'. I don't believe it.

Today I installed my bullitt pedal set that I have had sitting around forever, I remember what a pain installing them is now... I also did the 'gas pedal mod' while I was in there. It simply is a nylon spacer that takes out the slack in the cable. I cut a notch in the spacer and trimmed the length to about 1/2 an inch and then I put two zip ties around it to keep it in place  :D

IMG_20140920_135413_zps3bhppoxt.jpg

Uncut, 1inch long

IMG_20140920_135404_zpsxpk3jfdw.jpg

IMG_20140920_141047_zpsswku9gvz.jpg

IMG_20140920_145014_zpsnvvfsixb.jpg

IMG_20140920_160228_zpsucd3u4yp.jpg

IMG_20140920_160543_zps2thbliwz.jpg

IMG_20140920_160549_zpsh85jvlmy.jpg

i need to do both of those still.. the pedal mod and put my pedals on. they are liteally 3 feet from their new home everytime i park it haha

I had them sitting in my back seat for the longest time  :D I finally got the motivation to do it

What is the diameter of that spacer? Any pictures of it installed? I need to do this and I keep forgetting.

It was maybe 3/16 x 1 inch or something, I didn't get the exact measurement. 

Not much has been going on, I desperately need to get my alternator rebuilt and I am still trying to figure the knocking issue with my Bama Tunes. I am looking to get a dyno tune, Bama is unbelieveable to deal with, I would not recommend anyone to them. 

Anyways onto what I am doing now: I sold my C Heads and found a 01 IRS for $350, so I drove 3 hrs each way and got it! The plan is to put it in with the stock bushings for now, and replace them later on down the road. I am going to pick up some take off Bilstein Shocks & Struts along with H&R Race Springs. I sold my Magnapack Catback and I am going to piece together a Magnapack Catback for the IRS!

I had also move my wideband from the rear o2 sensor up to the front of my x pipe. Pretty easy, took about 10 minutes to remove, weld and reinstall! 

IMG_20141001_145406_zps15mpdljx.jpg

IMG_20141001_154008_zps8iiz67b4.jpg

IMG_20141020_123351_zpseumkciec.jpg

IMG_20141020_162412_zps0a2fm8ak.jpg

damn $350 would make me wish I could travel that far to get it.  An Bama yea I had the same reaction to them you did I guess.  My tune ran so rich that it made your eyes water from 15 ft away.   Was your 02 behind the X pipe before this?

damn $350 would make me wish I could travel that far to get it.  An Bama yea I had the same reaction to them you did I guess.  My tune ran so rich that it made your eyes water from 15 ft away.   Was your 02 behind the X pipe before this?

My Wideband o2 was in the rear o2 sensor port on the drivers side which was near the end of the x pipe, I just wanted to rule out that being why it was spiking lean.

You're gonna LOVE the ride with an IRS vs. SRA... I'd never go back. :2thumb:

I can't wait to put it in, we are going to paint the cradle and shine up the aluminum before we put it in. I am hoping later on, I can do a full bushing swap along with 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

Wish I could find an IRS for that kinda deal.  However, I'd go broke getting everything powder coated.

I was very lucky to find it, I can't wait to get it shined up and put it!