arayray

arayray's 96 Cobra Build

Today I got my exhaust remove and I will be shipping it out tomorrow  :( Hopefully I can get a custom magnapack catback made for IRS, I love that exhaust. I cleaned up the IRS with simple green. I am going to pick up some bolts for the subframe and order the MM brake lines. I am going to pick up a set of Bilstein Struts & Shocks and a set of H&R Race Springs  :D

Before 

IMG_20141022_160631_zpscf2zdgws.jpg

After

IMG_20141022_171424_zpsedddbzac.jpg

What are the differences between the 01 IRS and the 03 IRS? Is it just the axles? They're both 31-spline, aren't they?

03 has stiffer bushings. The brace that runs under the pinion has tabs on the 03 for extra pinion support. Both use 31 spline half shafts, but the 03 shafts are thicker and have a stronger inner CV joint. The 03 diff has carbon fiber clutch packs. And the pinion flange on the 03 is bigger to handle the torque.

My take..... bushings are a wash. You'll want to upgrade them either way. The pinion brace is a must. You want to keep the center section from moving. As well as some kind of diff brace. Half shafts depend on what you do. If you're doing 5k clutch dumps on drag radials, you need to upgrade. I did kill a half shaft after about 50k miles. But I was over double the horsepower and running drag radials. I never had an issue with the stock t-lock. I'm running one with carbon fiber clutches because it came with the gears. And I'm still running the 01 pinion flange with no issues.

03 has stiffer bushings. The brace that runs under the pinion has tabs on the 03 for extra pinion support. Both use 31 spline half shafts, but the 03 shafts are thicker and have a stronger inner CV joint. The 03 diff has carbon fiber clutch packs. And the pinion flange on the 03 is bigger to handle the torque.

My take..... bushings are a wash. You'll want to upgrade them either way. The pinion brace is a must. You want to keep the center section from moving. As well as some kind of diff brace. Half shafts depend on what you do. If you're doing 5k clutch dumps on drag radials, you need to upgrade. I did kill a half shaft after about 50k miles. But I was over double the horsepower and running drag radials. I never had an issue with the stock t-lock. I'm running one with carbon fiber clutches because it came with the gears. And I'm still running the 01 pinion flange with no issues.

Good Info! 

Today I got the old rear end out and I also ordered my MM Braided Brake Hose & Bilstein Rear Shocks. I am waiting to make a deal on the Bilstein Front Struts & H&R Race Springs, which I hopefully can get for next week. I also shipped my exhaust out and got some Grade 8 9/16 Bolts for the front subframe.

My plan is to drop the gas tank next, and get the subframe brackets welded in and test fit the IRS along with brake lines and stuff. I am going to then remove it to paint the cradle and polish the aluminum pieces. I plan to then put it back in along with the new springs + struts/shocks for the front & rear. After that I am going to see about getting a custom magnapack catback made. Should turn out nice :)

IMG_20141023_153531_zpsrajluhbe.jpg

IMG_20141023_153703_zpsqzy33xv4.jpg

Ready to go in its new home
IMG_20141023_154729_zpswwvuy6ug.jpg

IMG_20141023_154740_zps7bcohkgu.jpg

i love seeing the vents for the side scoops :) lol

I love them, its a neat little feature. I wish Ford would have continued to make them even if they really didn't do much. 

I was surprised mine had them because they say it was a 94-95 type thing but I know mine is a very early 96 so it's cool to see! I know it isn't limited to GT & COBRA, we had a v6 parts car and it had the pass thru vents also!

My 95 GTS had the vents, my 96 sadly doesn't. But the vent in the scoop itself has all the holes drilled out, so I must have just missed getting the vent on the backside lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The IRS is gonna be sweet man.  It should push your rear wheels out a bit as well which will help the car look even better. 

I'm hoping it does, wheel spacers are on my to-do list! I'm not sure whether to get bolt on spacers or extend the studs. Has anyone used extend studs & spacers from mustangwheelspacers.com

Well I am still gather pieces to swap in the IRS, I received my 03/04 Bilstein Front Struts & Rear Shocks today and my IRS Brake Lines & Brake 'T' should be here tomorrow! Also tonight I decided to paint the dust shields on the IRS so I took them off, scrubbed them simple green and then used a scotch-brite on them. Once I rattle canned them, I had my dad clearcoat them while he was painting a car  :D

Before I drop the tank, I am going to get a fuel pressure test gauge to see if my fuel pump is working right. I still can't figure out why my car is going lean, I am being told it may be my fuel pump or injectors since it is still knocking/dentonation on stock tune.

IMG_20141028_134547_zps1u5cpeh6.jpg

Before

IMG_20141028_165946_zps3po1r6ie.jpg

After

IMG_20141028_171434_zpsqx9uaj3p.jpg

Scotchied

IMG_20141028_171424_zpsxz5r5eki.jpg

Paint & Clearcoat

IMG_20141028_190659_zpspav3bkwl.jpg

Today I got my H&R Race Springs in and got my brake lines finished. I ordered 30 inch lines for the rear and they work but there is alot of extra, we may get a short size to put in. I did not want to end up short so I ordered it a little longer. I got the rear line cut, flared and the 'T' fitting mounted along with the hard lines run to the MM Braided Hose. Everything looks good, we took the IRS apart to paint and to fit the cradle up in. My plans are to:

- Grind down all the weld splatter and prep the cradle, half shalfs & control arms for paint

- Polish the pumpkin & lower control arms

- Get all Grade 8 hardware

- Get the cradle bolted in and the brackets welded to the frame rail

- Replace diff fluid while the pumpkin is out

Once everything is mocked up and the brackets are welded, we are going to put it back together and bolt it in. 

IMG_20141030_095205_zpskjoc4nmr.jpg

IMG_20141030_091732_zpsyzgs2ger.jpg

Test run

IMG_20141030_093754_zpsouxworyz.jpg

Before

IMG_20141030_110046_zps09adnrdl.jpg

Cut

IMG_20141030_110625_zpslkgplgjh.jpg

During

IMG_20141030_110946_zpsbw5zjkzf.jpg

After

IMG_20141030_134338_zpsqyme7zix.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics, I will have to get better ones

IMG_20141030_143622_zpstvrfxihq.jpg

IMG_20141030_143630_zpstscsitq4.jpg

Disassembled

IMG_20141030_164706_zpsfsbzhsn5.jpg

Naked  :(

IMG_20141030_164905_zpsglla3xoa.jpg

In its new home  :D

IMG_20141030_181458_zpsb4vegq1u.jpg

IMG_20141030_181507_zps5h8hkqxv.jpg

Today I went and got all the bolts needed to bolt the IRS up in. 4- 9/16 x 5 inch long bolts for the front subframe & shock, and 2 (don't remember the size) bolts for the rear subframe. I am still in the process of smoothing the cradle but we got the mounts welded to the frame tonight. While the tank is out we are going to replace the fuel pump (possibly why I'm getting detonation?) I am also going to respray my shocks & struts yellow & clearcoat them since they are a bit worn.

IMG_20141104_174029_zpsvlkxprbu.jpg

About half way done smoothing it

IMG_20141104_170939_zpszbf3zte8.jpg

I remember the fun of smoothing the cradle... it was unbelievable how much weld spatter was all over that damn thing.

Yeah it's amazing how much there was! I'm glad it turned out good though  :D

I got alot done today, I finished smoothing the cradle and got my struts/shocks and sway bar ready for paint also.

IMG_20141105_095907_zpsh9nwzqqo.jpg

IMG_20141105_115423_zpsuajwuwna.jpg

What causes it to need shimmed?

I installed the slew of FTBR bushings. if you read the instructions the lower control arm "slots"(where the bushings go) there is space in front and rear. I guess basically the control arms and bushings don't sit perfectly in the IRS frame. FTBR supplies big washes that you stack front a rear of the bushings to take up the space. it seems to take two people to do this. I plan on having sean help me do this any weekend. I will take pictures :)

I did the whole bushing install by myself, not sure why you'd need two people to do it. Granted, it wasn't the easiest process lol. I never have help doing anything in the garage though, I'm sure a helper wouldn't hurt.

Things are slowly but surely coming together. I have been busy getting signed up for the air force so I haven't been messing around with the IRS too much. I redid my hardline brakelines today, I cut them and reflared them down to 24 inches on both sides. I ordered a new fuel pump for it and my dad is going to paint & clear the shocks/struts in the next couple days. 

My dad had also painted the cradle, swaybar and swaybar pieces the other day. It turned out great!

Before - Sealed only

IMG_20141109_130153_zpsoukzue7n.jpg

After - Painted

IMG_20141109_175720_zpsdiu5hzr1.jpg

IMG_20141109_175727_zpsy7oxyqqx.jpg

IMG_20141109_175736_zpsqkng8wrv.jpg

IMG_20141113_153944_zpsq22w6jic.jpg

IMG_20141113_151013_zpsqavi6s1e.jpg

IMG_20141113_154251_zpsah7sbzdc.jpg

When you look at the cradle from the side, it looks like the MM Brake Line & the hardline are going to be in the way of the control arm. How close is it? @95riosnake @Sleeperstang1994

It's close but should clear if you have the brackets mounted where I mounted mine.

ubng.jpg

The MM Bracket is mounted the same way but it looks as if the hardline that attaches to the bottom is going to be in the way. I will have to get a pic tomorrow.

Just curious, will paint hold up on a sway bar?  I would have thought that once it flexed once or twice that the paint would start to chip/peel?  Figured it would have to be powdered and just curious.

It holds up just fine, my old sway bar was painted and never had an issue with it!

i powdercoated my sway bar. i honestly cant see that it actually twitsts enough that you would have paint cracking. Think of a torsion bar on a 4x4 front end pick up truck. i would think they flex way way more ?

Today I bought some used exhaust pipes, I plan to get magnapack mufflers and magnaflow exhaust tips. I am going to polish the exhaust as well and have a local place tack it like my old setup.

I decided to not further tear the IRS down so I am going to put it back together with new diff fluid and wait till I can save up for the FTBR Bush kit and powdercoat the control arms and stuff then. I want to be able to drive it before the weather gets bad.

EDIT: How close to the upper control arms come to hitting the brake lines? I am trying to figure out if mine will be fine or not. Here are some pics, I couldn't get a good pic because the cradle blends in with the undercoating  :rolleyes:

IMG_20141115_091239_zpswwm7rbj3.jpg

IMG_20141115_091208_zpsxu6wrdfn.jpg

While I was out of town, I got my 320 lph fuel pump and exhaust w/out mufflers & tips. Today I got the fuel pump installed and got the tank back up in the car. I need to get diff fluid, new swaybar link ends and some break fluid. I am going to pressure test the brakes to check for leaks and then start putting the IRS back together. I am going to pick up some magnapack mufflers and I cannot decide what exhaust tips I want to go with. I am thinking of getting chrome ones and having them powdercoated black to match the rest of my car. What do you guys think?

IMG_20141124_082713_zpsw0u1yibu.jpg

IMG_20141124_113753_zpsjmoqr4rx.jpg

IMG_20141124_113804_zpsblj8jyot.jpg