ttocs

which way would you recomend installing a catch can?

I am trying to get everything in the engine bay mocked up so I can pull it out and get it ready for paint.  With the vortech going in it I want to install a catch can but not sure which way would be best as far as sealed/vented.  What would you recommend for a 94 gt with a V3 si trim for the best way to do it.  I am not looking for  the easiest install as much as I am doing the best option available that will give best reliability.

I have a catch can from Bob's Motorsports. I like it because the air flows from bottom to top. I have both valve covers going to a T to the inlet of the can. I mostly did this because of how my PCV holes are. The outlet goes through a check valve to the intake. I ran breathers and then a vented catch can. I got tired of the oil smell while sitting at a light with the heater or A/C on. So I went sealed and I'm happy with it.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

just remember that if you do a catch can with a breather, the PCV system needs to be plugged.  otherwise its just a big vacuum leak.  The PCV will pull air right through the breathers.  

What is the concern?  Oil through the intake?  pressurized crank case due to blow by? 

@GearGambler is right, you have to either run a closed system with PCV (for example, the oil separator-style setups people assemble with basic stuff from the hardware store could be easily be modified to use a larger catch can), or if you run an open breather catch can you have to disable the PCV. I did a ton of research into a good open breather layout and could never find anything that didn't have drawbacks like oil smell, mess, etc. I even tried open breathers and they didn't solve my problem (blower pressurizing the crank case under boost) That's what eventually led me to a vacuum pump (PCV gets plugged for the vacuum pump setup also).

If you run MAP based, the open breathers will not be an issue tune wise.  You will still get oil smell and what not, though. 

Rio runs the best solution IMHO.  Crank case evac pump.

That being said, I run a open breather catch can but MAP based engine management,  I can't smell the crank case fumes over the dumped exhaust smell at a stop anyway...

ill be running a sealed catch can with a header (downpipe) mounted evac point. should pull the crankcase under vac and still ventilate properly.

What mufflers are you planning to run? If you haven't yet decided, a straight through muffler would give you the best results using the header evac setup. I looked into that setup and it seemed the consensus was that a chambered muffler reduced the velocity and the header evac didn't work as well. Here's the thread I remember reading about it:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365106

Just thought I'd mention it in case you don't have your exhaust nailed down yet :2thumb:

What mufflers are you planning to run? If you haven't yet decided, a straight through muffler would give you the best results using the header evac setup. I looked into that setup and it seemed the consensus was that a chambered muffler reduced the velocity and the header evac didn't work as well. Here's the thread I remember reading about it:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365106

Just thought I'd mention it in case you don't have your exhaust nailed down yet :2thumb:

My SLP powerflos aren't being changed.