Tabres

Had my project dyno tuned Saturday (76mm turbo build) – Results and video inside

I’ll spare you all the long story about the history of my build, but over the winter I rebuilt the engine in my car because the old “built” short-block was a pile of shit. Thanks MMR!

So, like I said, I started over from scratch on the engine this past fall/winter. It’s a replacement teksid block bored .020, -11cc Manley pistons and Manley rods, all ARP hardware, 03/04 cylinder heads, Mach 1 lower intake, B-upper intake via USMC53CHIEF’s adapter plate. I had the shortblock build at a local place that a friend had several engines built by with incredible results. The longblock my Dad and I put together during some vacation I took over Christmas. We actually built in his basement of all places. Put my same Hellion 76mm kit on it that I had previously converted to blow-thru, and kept everything else the same (built T56, E85 fuel, 31-spline rear, blah blah blah).

Saturday I took it up to Dean’s Performance in St. Charles, Illinois to have Bob Kurgan tune it. I have to give big credit to Han’s at Dean’s Performance and Bob Kurgan of Kurgan Motorsports. Hans’ place is awesome and he’s a super nice dude that does incredible work. I would refer anyone there. Bob is an absolute master at his craft and has helped me a ton through all this. I wish his shop were still in Illinois because I’d honestly offer wash cars for free on weekends or something for them just so I could hang out and learn from him.

Anyway, we strap the car down, change nothing in the tune and first pull it makes 726rwhp/798rwtq at 4.5krpm on 20lbs. It overboosted and the boost controller shut it down . To compare, the old motor with the same conditions only made 600rwhp/630rwtq.

Bob reset the boost controller and got to work. A handful of pulls later and he was done with a tune for 17lbs and a tune for 22lbs. These were all made on E70 gasoline. We’ve still got winter blend at the pumps around me. Hopefully E-85 will start showing up soon.

On 17lbs it made 690rwhp/691 rwtq. Dyno video:

On 22lbs it made 810rwhp/788 rwtq. Dyno video:

Needless to say, I’m pleased with the results :)

Cliffnotes: new motor, had it tuned, made 810rwhp/788rwtq on 22lbs, Bob Kurgan is the man

Holy crap 810! I'd never change a thing if I had that much power on tap, badass car! :2thumb:

lol... Yeah, I have no intention of ever touching the power levels on this car again.  I went there on Saturday just expecting to see numbers in the low to mid 700's.  When the car made that on the first pull without touching a single thing I was shocked.  My Dad saw the final numbers before me and when he told me what they were I'm sure I looked like a total fool with my jaw on the floor.  I never thought it would make that much on that Turbonetics turbo.

Next big project for it now?  It is in desperate need of a big brake kit.

Holy fucking numbers. That is phenomenal amounts of power. How does it drive on the street?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Like a totally stock car until you mash the throttle.  Drove it 260 miles round trip to the dyno on Saturday with zero issues.  Then I drove it 100 miles home from my parent's place last night in a torrential downpour.  It was aquaplaning due to the tires, but to be fair my fiance was following me in her Corolla and she was white knuckle, too.

I did make a few pulls on the street on Saturday on a pair of 315 MT drag radials I borrowed from a friend and it would spin in 2nd and start to hook in third.  That was on 17lbs, too.  Even spinning the car pulls like crazy.

Ugh, I'm a sucker for a turbo'd 4v. Absolutely love your car. Few questions. :)

1. What cams?

2. Intake and/or head port work/bigger valves?

3. What tuning software do you use?

Man e85 seems the way to go. All the cool kids are using it!

Ugh, I'm a sucker for a turbo'd 4v. Absolutely love your car. Few questions. :)

1. What cams?

2. Intake and/or head port work/bigger valves?

3. What tuning software do you use?

Man e85 seems the way to go. All the cool kids are using it!

Thanks!  To answer your questions...

1.  Stock 96 cams - people make good power with these so I didn't see the need to spend the money on aftermarket turbo cams.  Plus they have a smooth idle and provide stock-like driveability.

2.  No special work.  Just factory 03/04 heads with a fresh valve job and I put some thread inserts in the spark plug holes. And it is a stock Mach 1 lower intake manifold

3.  Stock computer tuned via a SCT Xcal2

One day......... One day!

Unless you're incredibly wealthy, it's takes a long time.  I certainly didn't do it overnight.  I've owned this car 12 years and have been building it for 4 years...

Yeah, I'm always broke. To busy raising a family of 3 little boys on my one income. Haha... But, in the last year I was able to go from a fairly stock 2V to a full

Bolt on 2V, to a 4V swap, so maybe I can swing it... I'm a cheapskate, so I'm always scouring for deals on used parts

Awesome numbers @Tabres !!! Do you plan on keeping the T56 or going auto in the future?

Thanks!

And it'll stay T56.  I'm not a drag racer, just wanted a quick street car/occassional road-course car, so for me a stick is more fun :)

Unless you're incredibly wealthy, it's takes a long time.  I certainly didn't do it overnight.  I've owned this car 12 years and have been building it for 4 years...

I hear that, I've owned my car 11 years come August, it was humble in the early years. I remember saving for what seemed like forever for a MAC cold air, lol. Only in the past 5ish years have things gone overboard, it seems like every year the build takes longer and gets more expensive than the last...sigh... but oh well what are ya gonna do lol.

Had my camera out yesterday to take photos of some parts I'm selling and took a few quick pictures of the engine bay.  I should have bothered to clean it before this.  It got destroyed in a downpour I drove through last Sunday...

Ignore the fitment of the plastic radiator cover.  It's just laid across there and not fastened down.

engine_zps7e8eeb54.jpg

My intake manifold.  I wouldn't be so bold as to say I was the first to powdercoat it in this fashion, but when I had mine done about 10 years ago I had never seen that design before and I do see it somewhat frequently now.  I don't know if that is because of the pictures of mine that are floating around, but part of me likes to make believe it is, at least a little :)

intake_zps1c6ba4b1.jpg

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

turbo_zpsa60688e4.jpg

One of my favorite parts of the engine is all the black anodized, allen head bolts that I got from Pro Weld Performance.  They're so much nicer than the stock hardware and really do a lot for the engine...

proweldBolts_zps6b5446ad.jpg

Need to get something nicer for the IAC hose.  Maybe this winter have an AN fitting welded to the intake and intake tube and build a nice AN hose for it...

aeromotiveRail_zps8276fa09.jpg

Obligatory fender badge shot...

fenderBadge_zpsf1ee518e.jpg

Immediate future plans include hood struts that should show up any day now, a brake master cylinder cover and a new aluminum power-steering tank, both powdercoated gloss black.  Will be relocating the boost control solenoid too.  Going to try to have a new radiator cover made too, that I can have powdercoated.  Long term is a battery relocation and a wire tuck :)

• Moderators

Where are you getting your power steering tank from?  I will need one of those if/when I ever get back to my car.

Where are you getting your power steering tank from?  I will need one of those if/when I ever get back to my car.

Just going to pick up a Moroso tank from Summit or Amazon, whoever has the cheaper price shipped.

• Moderators

Just going to pick up a Moroso tank from Summit or Amazon, whoever has the cheaper price shipped.

Good to know.  I will be looking into one as well then!  A/C lines and P/S pump were the last two ugly items in my engine bay... at least that I can think of since there is nothing in my engine bay currently.

Motor looks incredible, love the colors and detailed touches!

What kind of connection is there from the IAC to the intake manifold? Is it a threaded-in hose barb? If so, you can just get a NPT to AN adapter and thread it in place of the hose barb, that's how I did my vacuum line for my BOV. Another option would be a remote IAC. I know you're not a fan of MMR but they do make a remote IAC block that lets you mount the IAC wherever you want, then just run a hose to the intake tube and intake manifold.

Motor looks incredible, love the colors and detailed touches!

What kind of connection is there from the IAC to the intake manifold? Is it a threaded-in hose barb? If so, you can just get a NPT to AN adapter and thread it in place of the hose barb, that's how I did my vacuum line for my BOV. Another option would be a remote IAC. I know you're not a fan of MMR but they do make a remote IAC block that lets you mount the IAC wherever you want, then just run a hose to the intake tube and intake manifold.

I honestly am not sure how the hose barb attaches to the manifold.  I know I've seen where someone replaced the factory barb with a XRP fitting so I have to assume its thread-in.  I can't imagine I or anyone else would be able to run the levels of boost we do if it was press-fit.  Good thought about the NPT to AN adapter.  I'll have to research this more.

And I don't mind MMR parts, I just don't condone someone letting them build anything for them :)  I have eyeballed the remote IAC in the past.  My only reservation is that on the cars I've seen that do have them, I've yet to see it done cleanly.  I'm kind of more into the stock custom look anyway, if that makes any sense...

Today was MRT hood struts, with the brackets painted crystal white.  Picked them up from CJ Pony Parts.  Really nice kit and installed in about 5 minutes.  Totally worth the money.  Quick cell-phone picture...

hoodstruts_zpsb1a1f20a.jpg

Good call on painting the brackets to match, looks really clean and factory. The black brackets on those are what I usually don't like about them, but being color matched they blend in nicely. :2thumb:

Good call on painting the brackets to match, looks really clean and factory. The black brackets on those are what I usually don't like about them, but being color matched they blend in nicely. :2thumb:

I know what you mean.  I had to spend about $45 more or something like that and wait an extra week to have them painted but I wouldn't have put just straight black ones on the car.  They'd stand out way, way too much...

These are on the list for me, along with modifying the after market hood to make them work!  My dad barely got his '11 in the driveway before I was online ordering these for it.  Such a nice setup.

Awesome build, sir. Nice to see a project over several years finally take shape. Cool to hear you and your dad assembled the long block, too.

We've assembled the longblock togther twice now.  It's really not difficult at all.  More people should give it a shot.