Psychorugby

Psychorugby Learns Photography Basics

• Moderators

I've had my Nikon D70 for about 7-8 years and have never progressed beyond using it as a glorified point and shoot.  Lately, since nothing is happening on the Mustang, I've been wanting to learn some basics.  Theoretically, I know what F stop, shutter speed, and ISO all do.  One of my problems is finding something interesting to shoot for practice.  So I am asking if anyone has any good resources to read and/or watch on photography... and suggestions for shooting; what do you like to practice shooting?  

I've got 18-55mm and 55-200mm zoom lenses, and probably a 50mm prime lens on the way.  What other lenses should I look into?

Photoshop is probably in the near future too, so I would like some resources to learn that as well.

You probably don't need more lenses, though better ones might help. The zoom lenses are probably in the f3.5-f5.6 range. The "prime" lens may be down in the area of f2.0. That will allow more light in, resulting in a better chance of great shots - especially in less than optimal conditions. The trouble is, big lenses down at f2.0 or lower are expensive! And they don't do a thing for composing better shots.

That said, having a good eye and being in the right place at the right time can allow even a point-and-shoot camera to produce great shots. See if you can find some reading/instructional material that talks about the rule of thirds, depth of field, and framing pictures. Then go look at some books (or websites) that have what are considered to be really good pictures of cars and see what you can pick up from them. Where are the cars in the pictures (rule of thirds)? What angle were the pictures shot from and from how far away (framing)? What's in focus and not in focus (depth of field)? Are there other elements in the picture that add to the overall composition instead of distracting from the main subject? Where is the sun in relation to the shooter and the subject? Was a flash used - even in daylight?

Then go out and just start shooting. The days of paying for film, developing and prints are long gone. Where you used to take a dozen pictures, take 200. If you need to, get a bigger memory card. Get used to the idea that, for every 100 pictures you take, there will be maybe 30-40 good snapshots, maybe 10-12 really good pictures, and maybe 2-3 excellent shots. Don't be afraid to experiment. See what happens if you try something crazy. Above all, have fun with it.

I hope that helps.

If nothing else, back up enough so that the entire car is in the picture. You can always crop out what you don't want later. But you can't add what you didn't shoot.

www.kenrockwell.com has some amazing advice as well as how to understand all of what @SonicBlue just said.

Best way to practice... get out there and do it. Do you have kids or a dog or friends with kids? Scenery is also good. Great backgrounds for cars would be either water or industrial. Get out and practice with your daily driver. If you're on Facebook, there are two groups that share AMAZING automotive photographs, they are.... Automotive Photography and Automotive Photographers.

If you're not used to shooting photos with your camera yet, I suggest shoot in Aperture mode, it's not full manual, but it's better than auto mode. Here is a cheat sheet that I hope helps you.

CheatSheet.jpg

As far as lenses go, I love my 40mm prime lens. It's an f2.8. If you want to shoot scenery, I suggest a wide angle lens.  If you're shooting anything that has a reflection, I suggest a zoom lens such as your 55-200. I can't stress enough how bad photos are when you can see a reflection of yourself taking the image.

YouTube has a plethoria of toutorials on PhotoShop. Before you buy, download the trail versions of PhotoShop or LIghtroom. Lightroom is great for editing your photos, where PhotoShop allows you to edit and create. Meaning clone out a lightpole or merge two or more photos together to create a composite. Lightroom is also like less than $200 where PhotoShop is around the $700+ range depending on which one you get.

I hope some of this helps.

I really need to start brushing up on photography skills. I have a Canon Rebel T3 and have never really gotten around to learning to use it properly, so you're not alone @Psychorugby. What I really need to do is give it a thorough cleaning, as it has gotten quite dirty since most of its use in recent months has been taking build pictures lol. I think before I hit the Laconia show I'll try to get better acquainted with it and possibly buy a nice lens :2thumb:

I know I suck at taking and editing pictures but I try to learn some things here and there. I get too excited at car shows and end up taking the same picture of almost every car because I just want to share them, lol. Anyway, here are some places to learn about photoshop. Honestly, if there is a certain thing you want to do (lower a car, create a gray background, etc.), you can just type it into youtube and usually someone has made a video on that topic. My friend suggested these to me:

Videocopilot.net

Mydamnchannel.com (videos are called "you suck at photoshop" and they're pretty darn funny)

• Moderators

Thanks guys!  I definitely need to get out and practice... just need to find something worth shooting.  I think part of my problem is comparing my photos to edited photos I see online.  I definitely can't afford full Photoshop, but for simple editing, I'm pretty sure I can get myself Lightroom.  I'm a student too so I get a discount.  

I think I might start a thread with my automatic mode pictures to get some critiques and see where I need to focus my learning.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/11/50-photography-quotes-inspire/

This might offer you some inspiration for something to shoot.

Remember, you are your own worst critic. At least I know I am. There is always going to be someone out there who's better. But practice makes perfect. You shouldn't compare your photos to anyone else's but your own. Everyone has their own style and flare.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

• Moderators

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/11/50-photography-quotes-inspire/

This might offer you some inspiration for something to shoot.

Remember, you are your own worst critic. At least I know I am. There is always going to be someone out there who's better. But practice makes perfect. You shouldn't compare your photos to anyone else's but your own. Everyone has their own style and flare.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I'm definitely my own worst critic.  My wife loves my landscapes, but hates my "portraits."  I couldn't care less about portraits, at least in the vacation selfie sense... I love taking landscape, nature, and architectural photos on vacation.  

• Moderators

Just pulled out the camera bag... AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G and AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G are the lenses I have.  I bought these when I had less of a clue than I do now.  They've sufficed until now, but are they okay to keep going?

Just pulled out the camera bag... AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G and AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G are the lenses I have. I bought these when I had less of a clue than I do now. They've sufficed until now, but are they okay to keep going?

They are called "kit lens" basically when you buy the "kit" thats what you get for lenses. I still use my 18-105 "kit lens" for when I need to zoom on something(used mostly for on track shots) cause I like the quality of the photos. AF= automatic focus. Do they say VR on them? Prolly by the switch for A or M (auto or manual focus) VR is for vibration reduction. Basically if you're moving the shot wont be all blury. If they don't have VR, may I suggest purchasing an 18-105mm with VR. I think they're somewhere around the $150-$200 range.

But yes... for just learning, definitely stick with the kit lenses.

• Moderators

No VR on these lenses.  I bought the D70 body from a friend back in 2006, and bought the lenses at Best Buy, so I guess they're kit lenses.  I know they are the cheaper/lighter plastic version of the Nikon lenses.

A Nikon 18-105mm with warranty brand new from best buy is $400. I bought mine for $150 from a guy who didnt want the "kit lens" with his new d7100. Look on ebay or craigslist for those kinds of deals. Up here they are everywhere. Not sure about where you are.

Check out the book the art of photography by Bruce barnbaum. Lens wise it seems like you have everything covered. The only other thing you may want to look into is something in the 10 or 12-24 range. I love mine. Here's a quick shot In the driveway

6CB3B1A3-B44F-4909-852E-785F810716DB_zps

• Moderators

Keep losing eBay auctions for a 50mm 1.8 prime lens.  Guess I am going to have to buy this one new lol.  Also found a 70-300mm VR lens yesterday for $250, but can't sneak that *and* car parts past my wife.

Keep losing eBay auctions for a 50mm 1.8 prime lens.  Guess I am going to have to buy this one new lol.  Also found a 70-300mm VR lens yesterday for $250, but can't sneak that *and* car parts past my wife.

ill buy it, you do payments, we could stretch this out for a couple months and she'd never know ;)    same with the imports hehe

• Moderators

ill buy it, you do payments, we could stretch this out for a couple months and she'd never know ;)    same with the imports hehe

Soooo tempting lol.