slow90coupe

Minitubbed LSX Powered 1987 LX Build Thread

Well I pulled the heads off the motor this morning. Surprisingly the block itself looks to be in really good shape. You can still see the hash marks in the cylinder walls.

IMG_1035_zps8098f5d0.jpg

IMG_1033_zpsca70d0b3.jpg

IMG_1034_zps147c9f7a.jpg

The only strange thing I found. One pushrod was kinda ground down on one end. I'm guessing it had the infamous lifter tick that a lot of these engines have. Everything else looked great.

IMG_1031_zps486bd262.jpg

A few cleaned up bolts and pushrods

IMG_1030_zps7b04c0a6.jpg

Then I took the heads, valve covers, and rockers to work and started cleaning on them every chance I got.

Here's one head that I started on

IMG_1042_zps0a1d0f3d.jpg

And finished valve covers and rockers. They cleaned up great and all look to be salvageable.

IMG_1043_zps16180a0c.jpg

Then I pulled off the valley cover. Yeah there's a lot of sludge in there too. I'll probably strip the block this weekend and take the block to a machine shop to get it hot tanked and checked out.

IMG_1045_zpsa1344262.jpg

Today I got the front and rear trim painted and put on.

IMG_1112_zps76060347.jpg

IMG_1110_zpsc3e02a59.jpg

And I put the headlights in, and threw the front clip on for a quick mockup to see how it would look

IMG_1115_zps6d860324.jpg

IMG_1127_zps716f2bd9.jpg

I also started carpeting the minitubs

IMG_1126_zpsf746175a.jpg

Then I tore into the motor some more.

The oil filter.. it was filled to the top with sludge.

IMG_1119_zps4e32a0b2.jpg

IMG_1120_zps749eebc4.jpg

And a quick mockup of the TF wheels... Yeah I think I'm going to HAVE to run these.

IMG_1129_zps1d35284c.jpg

DSC_0275_zps48e621b4.jpg

DSC_0280_zps2279159c.jpg

IMG_1119_zps4e32a0b2.jpg

And a quick mockup of the TF wheels... Yeah I think I'm going to HAVE to run these.

IMG_1129_zps1d35284c.jpg

DSC_0275_zps48e621b4.jpg

DSC_0280_zps2279159c.jpg

Holy shit is there a ton of sludge in there! haha.  i had a 351W that looked just as bad, came out of a DNR truck, i dont think they ever did maintenance on it. 

and those wheels look like absolute pure sex on the car. I hope you stick with them until its ready to hit the road!

After getting back from Mustang Week and getting to see the tremendous lack of foxes at the shows, I'm VERY motivated to get this car rolling. I rode in a buddy's fox while I was down there and it really gave me the fox bug again. There's something about the feel of a nastycammed pushrod hatch...

So while I was down there at the shows I placed an order with AJE for a K-member and control arms. Then today I got started on knocking out a few things that have been bothering me.

I spent nearly the whole day working on carpeting the hatch area. This stuff is so frustrating. But I got it about done and looking presentable. Not perfect, but presentable.

IMG_5182_zpsc717c75a.jpg

IMG_0217_zpsb6fe5d45.jpg

And I plastidipped the window trim that sticked out like a sore thumb. I'm painting a spare set of mirrors black as well.

IMG_3386_zpsf1ef8b74.jpg

IMG_9929_zps0c27d860.jpg

More to come. The only thing that's holding up the engine build is the balancer bolt. That thing won't budge.

• Moderators

Oh just imagine the hate for an LSX fox at MW, lol. They'll have their torches lit and ready when you roll into town ;)

Hell, I'm trying to light mine now... but the work looks great @slow90coupe!

Yes she has been sold. I wasn't even trying to sell it. I posted a pic on IG and a local guy messaged me that morning. 10 hours later, I had cash in my hand. I'm happy because I basically doubled my money, but sad because it was going to be a badass car. Now the search begins once again for a Supra.

well gee dang. i opened a can of worms. Seemed like you were fairly happy with the 97 lately, why trying to sell?

Boredom mainly, nothing left to do besides bag it. I have a chance to get my dream car and the extra money I could get from the 97 would really help me. Besides, who would drive a 97 GT when they have a MK4 TT Supra sitting beside it? :)

I know I'm hugely in the minority on this, but I've never found Supra's that exciting.  Don't get me wrong, they're great cars and I think they're cool.  A friend of mine has a very nice single turbo, black MK4 that I've spent a fair amount of time around.  It makes good power, sounds nice, looks nice, but idk.... I've just never wanted one.

They are significantly nicer than a SN95 Mustang, though :)

I know I'm hugely in the minority on this, but I've never found Supra's that exciting.  Don't get me wrong, they're great cars and I think they're cool.  A friend of mine has a very nice single turbo, black MK4 that I've spent a fair amount of time around.  It makes good power, sounds nice, looks nice, but idk.... I've just never wanted one.

They are significantly nicer than a SN95 Mustang, though :)

I'm in the same boat, I love Supras but never wanted to own one. Either way @slow90coupe stick around and start a build thread in Tony's non-mustang build section when/if you get the Supra!

I'm in the same boat, I love Supras but never wanted to own one. Either way @slow90coupe stick around and start a build thread in Tony's non-mustang build section when/if you get the Supra!

Oh yeah I'll be sure to stick around! And like I say, I doubt anyone will pay for the car so I'm probably stuck with it

Oh yeah I'll be sure to stick around! And like I say, I doubt anyone will pay for the car so I'm probably stuck with it

Put some big lumpy cams in it and that'll get the mouths drooling and the wallets open :2thumb:

If I had a little extra laying around I would buy it, so I could have a coupe and a vert. Also have a pushrod and mod motor lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

My buddy is on vacation, but he sent me your build thread from another site... wonder how interested he might be...

• Moderators

I'll cut someone a killer deal on it.

PM me.  He comes back Saturday, but is notoriously frugal and fickle.  Don't get your hopes up lol.