SniveTroll

"Murphy's Law" A 92 Bronco story. sold

• Moderators
  • Moderators

Only one that is for sure 94-96 roller is 500. That's what I'm saying. I can find older blocks for cheaper all day but the roller blocks go for higher

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

And that was a complete motor, not just a block.

i ordered a few parts. 

1 trans temp gauge

transgo e4od/4R100 tugger shift kit. 

from jeffs bronco graveyard:

4WD trac link

outter tie rod

inner tie rod 

L/R replacement brake lines 

i also ordered a boost a spark for the mustang. other than it the same ole. 

today the steering parts came in. 

-Right tie rod end

-brake lines

-trak link 

-steering link 

Note:

*Elgin parts are made by Moog. part numbers match. 

i went to the yards today. i scored: 

- Saginaw power steering pump with bracket and high pressure line. maybe 40$

-EGR valve w/ sensor

*Mustang goodie: 5.0 Edis coil bracket. 

im going back tomorrow for GT40 heads. i know there is a pair there on a clean explorer. 

I went yesterday. I now officially have a set of GT40 heads. im impressed at the visuals of the heads. the 302 looked well maintained. albeit im using a 351. It had cross hatches and no rust. I noticed on the heads the plugs 7&8 had fouled. porcelain was a dark orange/red as if it was getting hot. I wonder if this has hot dead spots like the modulars. the oil residuals were clean and valve seals are intact. im going to have the heads looked at with new seals and springs.

i ordered some summit shorty headers for 351W trucks and EGR tube. they were promptly delivered. I sent them back with a divet on the flange. With little questions asked they sent an exchange slip and new set of headers. I have time these coming 2 weeks to install these bad boys and newer set of tires. I got some Mud tires from a friend for 100 bucks. 5 for 100 isn't bad at all with 20k miles or more left in them. its starting to shape up more road worthy. I also have a 3G alternator to toy with.

Last 2 days have been he'll with summit headers. My actual beef is the bronco. Bolts are rusted to hell. Removed the wheel well to make it easier. post-10-143693686484_thumb.jpg and looked at my mess.

post-10-143693691285_thumb.jpg I pulled out the shredded insulation. I didn't even bother recording the headers. I'll remove them again later when I put in the gt40s. post-10-143693697667_thumb.jpg

post-10-143693700098_thumb.jpg three bolts like this just spun out without torque.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Now I'm camping out at a Walmart because a tire damn near blew out. I see the steel belt. I'm waiting for a tire shop to open at 8 to get a used tire. I have a set of tires already to install.

well it failed safety inspection for the following: 

-battery hold down ... fixed

-tires ... fixed 

-front brake hoses ... have them to be installed. 

-headlight aim ... yeah odd 

-lug nut ... replaced

-e-brake light... i have to work on that. i hope just the bulb or a switch

-rear brake contamination and installed wrong... i changed axle seals and bearings. the old seals leaked on the brakes. i just swapped seals, bearings and axle and said Fuggedaboutit

it's a double edged sword.  i think the safety inspection is a good idea as it forces people to actually maintain their cars so they are safe on the road for everybody else around them....but at the same time, the smog part of it is just ridiculous.  it's not effective, it's just a money grab for the state.  PA still uses a dial-up modem system ONLY for their smog tests.  

Attention was paid to the rear brakes today. The shoes were soaked in old oil and oriented wrong. This is new pads and soon to lathe the rotors.

post-10-143784371568_thumb.jpg

Base timing with spout out was 0* TDC. Set base to 10 and spout in at 14* with no ping.

Welp Murphy is street legal. I have to get new brake drums just because and diagnose the CEL for code 33. Well at least that what I counted. I plan on pulling the intake and timing cover off to clean and reseal. Eventually build a clean rebuild 351.

Well the water pump ate it. post-10-143907144289_thumb.jpgpost-10-143907145394_thumb.jpg 2 bolts are rusted in the block. I'm removing timing cover next weekend. I'm going to flush before I remove cover. I'll change pump and thermostat and may as well get smog pump delete. I'm going to break out the pressure washer for this cover once it's off or use oven easy off.

ugh the 351 i took apart was fricking nastyyyyyyy

1929131_504779996532_4492_n_zpsx1bthtrq.

Ughhh

I got the pump off post-10-143986971384_thumb.jpg

Truthfully I had to heat and beat the cover off. The bolts were rusted solid to the cover.

post-10-143986976072_thumb.jpg

It has a double roller. It has slack in the chain. I'll change it briefly later. I didn't get a timing set. Odd that it's a previous carbed engine.

post-10-143986985704_thumb.jpg

Lastly, I had to drill and tap the thermostat housing. Also, seems thermostat for a 92 don't fit or I bought the wrong one. The balancer was ripe. I put in a new Dorman. post-10-143986997333_thumb.jpg

i forgot to check the timing chain last night because we ended up having people come over that i had to make food for.  plan is to clean up the vert tonight so i'll be able to check