Prokiller

Full Moon Friday Garage w/ attached house

doors all primed.  was able to put a coat of paint on there too yesterday but i didn't get a picture of it.  wanted to do it this morning but it was too dark when i had to leave this morning.

6A640FD0-650E-423A-9FAE-78DA43D87476_zps

Went to paint all the knobs with the same orange paint as the dining room wall and that was a bust.  We had them put it in a spray can but i guess it sat for too long and it was coming out in chunks.  i was shaking that thing until my arms were sore and it was still coming out like silly string.  so yeah that didn't happen.  our friend who mixed up all the paint for us is going to make a new can.

also on sunday i accidentally tore the stupid towel rack off the wall in the shower.  i hated that damn thing.  i can't tell you how many times i whacked my elbow on that thing washing my hair or face.  well guess i hit one too many times cause it came crashing down on my toe....and shatter into pieces.  so then i had a lovely hole in the tile wall.  got some silicone last night and covered it up.  not the prettiest thing but i don't care because we'll be re-doing this bathroom come springtime next year (if not sooner).

While we were at the hardware store picking up the silicone for the shower, we bought a ton of wood pellets as well.  so that should cover us for the winter hopefully and keep the basement nice and toasty.  still want to top off the oil tank before the cold hits.  also have to hook the basement stove back up to the propane tank and have that filled. 

Ryan I don't know where you get the energy for this, it makes me tired just thinking of all that de-wallpapering and painting lol

it's definitely getting old that's for sure.  the kitchen is the last part of the project.  From there i can relax a bit and do projects as need be and when i feel like it.  i really just try to make it a point to accomplish one thing a night.  whether it be on the house or the car.  makes me feel like i didn't waste a day. 

• Moderators

i really just try to make it a point to accomplish one thing a night.  whether it be on the house or the car.  makes me feel like i didn't waste a day. 

This is the part I am consistently failing at lately.

This is the part I am consistently failing at lately.

Yeah I am with you on that. Its been so hot in texas that after being in the heat all day I dont feel like going back outside once i am home. My wife constantly reminds me about my honey-due lists. Yes I said lists lol.

Kris

forgot to post the actual painted pics

B980BA5B-4F3A-4CE7-B6EF-342E80A8C677_zps

4793070E-0CAC-4D52-81FE-B414728EDB3F_zps

still have to figure out what to do about the knobs.  i think i'm going to try and hand paint them tonight and see what it looks like

borrowed the father-in-law's pickup friday night so we could pickup the wood pellets.  stacked as much as i felt comfortable in the oil tank/heater closet.

C0AF8550-8BC6-438A-B80D-262E8892D6DE_zps

the rest went in the small garage which is right next to the stove.  i think this is where the previous owners were putting them as it seems these shelves were spaced up high enough and wide enough for the bags to fit under.

71C9AD68-A0FF-4B2F-8BB5-21E0D6C14C91_zps

saturday's plan was to put the carpet and interior back together on the 95 but ended up getting side tracked for a better part of the day organizing the garage more.  I was getting annoyed stepping over the interior panels and the cleaning supplies being all over the place and still some tools that needed to find homes for.  now have all the cleaning supplies on a shelf, all the oils/paints/chemicals in the cabinet.  made a charging station for the cordless tool batteries.  cleaned up the workbench and surrounding area.  took stuff up into the attic from the other garage so now can have the recycling can right outside the basement door, etc, etc, etc....

600C5F51-83E1-4EFA-9E3E-5D5E2E9D417B_zps

Lol best use for a Crown Royal pouch!

other than the obvious reason of storing delicious Crown Royal, I would agree.  that's where all the extra pegboard hooks are currently being stored. 

I sprayed a coat of orange on the cabinet door knobs today but didn't grab a pic as it took longer than I thought and I got pressed for time.

Saturday:

Had to put 2 more coats of orange on the knobs so one coat got done first thing in the morning and just waited till later the day to put on the second.  in the meantime, got the doors all hung except for one.  Ended up sanding and painting the wrong freakin door.  Since we are leaving the end cabinet open and making it a wire rack instead, i had the doors laying with the other ones but separate.  well apparently somehow they got mixed up in the shuffle.  and didn't realize that it happened until i went to hang it up and realized that the knob for the last door was up at the top.  so yeah after some cursing and a bacardi & coke, i finished up the rest of the doors and called it for the day.

5FD09EDC-AAD0-452A-91A4-F9241692BCED_zps

8344286F-987F-4972-97AC-AC8A3048915D_zps

474DBE87-EDF5-4FDB-A3AE-A1857ABF7195_zps

Sunday:

Still had to install the rest of the hardware, which was the magnetic catches and their metal plates.  obviously the knobs too.  so that all got done, then i moved onto the lighting.  The flush mount in the kitchen was first and that was really simple.  I do however have to break out the can of ceiling white to touch up around it because the old one was a little bit bigger.  Then moved onto the chandelier over the table.  got the old nasty one out of there and then spent quite a while figuring out the height we wanted the new one to be at.  Once i got all that squared away, it didn't take me long to get that all wrapped up.  Didn't have enough bulbs though.  it was already almost 7 at this point so the hardware stores were closed so we thought Target would be fine.  apparently finding dimmable CFL bulbs is like finding waldo because after both target and walmart, we left empty handed.  walmart had 3 60w equivalent bulbs and each was $9....un-freakin-real.  stopping at lowe's tonight to try and get some.

D8069D80-07A4-4C95-B0B4-57158201D57D_zps

6F90BE3B-8917-429E-8270-B31B105B3631_zps

2917D39C-7538-470B-B651-662E0C7DD6AA_zps

F533EC15-5B8C-4165-914D-4094B475738B_zps

The cabinets look great man, the kitchen looks completely different than when I saw it last :2thumb:

That sucks about the bulbs, $9 a pop should have come with some vaseline at least.

yeah i ended up finding only 1 CFL bulb that was dimmable at Lowes.  i just can't believe that nobody makes these things.  ended up getting LED bulbs because it was the same price for a 40w LED as a 60w CFL.  didn't take a picture of them installed but yeah there are now dimming lights in the chandelier and a matching LED 60w in the flush mount in the kitchen.

for starters, the last kitchen cabinet door is now painted.  going to let it set till this weekend before putting it up.  give the paint some time to cure so it doesn't stick.

spent sunday weeding the front flower beds and repairing the front gutter.  the gutter had pulled away from the house for about a 12 foot run.  pretty much all the screws were rusted to hell and the stripped out of the house.  I got new brackets from lowes.  I ended up pulling all the hardware out that was lose and replaced them.  Actually went smoother than i thought it would.  Now we have a fully functional gutter system.  All but the back side of the big garage is cleaned out too.  it was too damn hot to be climbing over the roof to check that one at the moment.  Going to wait until the big tree next to it starts to drop it's leaves then i'll do it.

As for the flower beds, they've been neglected since last year at least.  doesn't look like mulch has been thrown down in at least 2 years.  We left the outside kinda by the wayside as we've been tending to the inside.  Now that fall is coming and not much is growing any more we tilled the soil a bit and pulled all the weeds out.  The bushes in front of the house are pretty crappy and will get replaced next year.  The bushes in hardscaping along the driveway were in dire need of a trimming.  They got trimmed back pretty heavily.  now we can actually see down the road to pull out of the driveway, which is pretty nice. 

the wife then got busy on monday cleaning up the last bit of boxes we had around.  mostly just decoration stuff that we've decided to pack away for now.  neither of us feel the need to bust out all the stupid little nicknack crap we've collected over the years and clutter up the space.  so for now it's just packed away. 

F4D7CA95-D3D5-40AC-A787-B7096B28963A_zps

when i got home, i put the basement stove back on the propane line and got it squared away.  the basement kitchen is now fully functional.

99DF2906-4F42-4A22-9917-949C12F52755_zps

she then decides since she ended up not having to go to work on tuesday that she's sick of the crap-tastic wallpaper in that kitchen so she started painting the walls.  we still don't really know what the overall theme of the basement spaces are going to be but at least we'll get rid of the nasty orange harvest wallpaper for now.  pretty much just using the paint we have left over from the other rooms.

67A73AE0-12E0-4B58-A70C-FCAFCE45374F_zps

C4A74E6F-7DAB-4896-8246-7526BACA32EA_zps

this morning she threw a coat of the red on the wall you see when you walk down the stairs.  probably all that it's going to cover with that color so it works as an accent wall at least.  the rest will be cream colors we used in the hallway and master bedroom.

C72A5E84-8E69-4A4C-9F7A-3F82ABEE9B07_zps

A hanging scale?!  Pretty sweet!  now you can weigh your produce! ;)

haha yeah i found it a cabinet.  one of the few gems the previous owners left behind.  looks pretty cool hanging there.

actually that's a good question.  those paint pictures are from my wife so he might have been laying down elsewhere.  he doesn't follow her as much as me.  the bench grinder shot was early in the morning right before i left for work.  he was in bed with the wife.

came home friday night to this in my garage:

3BE23D7F-E4DF-49BF-B230-C9DB9F3276E7_zps

apparently my dad doesn't use this anymore either so now it's mine :D

Saturday:

the upstairs kitchen cabinets are now done (until we get a new fridge).  the last door got hung up.  this winter i'm going to build a wine rack in that end cabinet but it wasn't something i wanted to tackle in the midst of everything else.  not that it's going to be a big project, but more so it's the design of how i want it that keeps stopping me from doing it.  not sure if i want to do a x style or actual solid horizontal racks with cutouts.  anyway, that's for another time.

219E7118-CFDE-45A0-A487-2D8B35A4D817_zps

moved onto the basement kitchen.  got two coats up of the red and the cream under the stairs.  we thought putting red under the stairs would make it too dark so we used the same cream that is on the stairs and hallway.  definitely brightens that up and doesn't make it seem so dungeon-y under there.  got two coats on the trim too.  the stark white against the red really makes them both pop nicely.  we're both really happy with how it turned out.  it was really just a "hey we got a ton of red paint leftover, let's just use that" project.  So that kitchen is now done too until we decide what we really want that space to be.

374CA2B0-F373-4E86-8080-CA78AA12D0AA_zps

Sunday the wife went to a craft show all day and i was tired from not sleeping the past two days because of work (had to go into work friday night at 3AM) so i didn't do a whole lot.  I did finally rip out the previous owner's mailbox with their name on it.  was just really crappy looking.  The guy used a piece of 2" steel pipe as the post with a flange and then an aluminum box bolted down on it.  just really trailer parking looking for me.  thankfully i didn't have to dig out the old post much at all.  Damn thing was HUGE.  once i got it out, it was 7 foot long.  It was in the ground almost 4 ft.  crazy!  anyway though got the new post in and mounted our new box to it.  looks soooo much better.

33910E2A-9E45-4874-AEE4-6126AED4FBB3_zps

That's a hell of a nice surprise to find sitting in your garage when you get home, wouldn't mind that happening to me lol. That would cost a good chunk of change, I know because I was going to set up a nice cutting torch for myself at home but once I got into the prices for the stuff I needed I decided to just keep using the torch we have at work lol. 

Good to see Jasper is keeping things running smoothly ;)

IMO a brand new Craftsman grinder is cheap enough that going with HF wouldn't be worth it. I have a Craftsman 8" variable speed and it's a pretty nice unit. My experience with motorized tools from HF is they work well at first, but soon go downhill. I briefly had a HF angle grinder that worked great for the first month or two, then it got really really loud. They bought a few things from HF at work once, a bench grinder, belt sander and a few palm sanders (when we were in a rough patch with slow business coming in the door) and none of them lasted more than a couple months. Granted in a professional setting the frequency of use is much higher than hobby/home use but I try to buy things for the long haul as much as possible. I bought the engine support bar from HF because it'll get used one time then probably never again.

A grinder/polisher is the next tool on my list to get.   Trying to decide if I think harbor freight quality would work here.

when i was researching them (before my dad said i could have his) i concluded that the dewalt 8" was the best one out there for the price.  part number DW758.  Usually find them for about $120 at most major stores.  i was about to pull the trigger on it and then my dad said he never uses his anymore so i could just have that one.

Yea I hate to buy anything with any moving parts at hf for the most part which is why I had been pondering this.  I have never had a bench/stationary tool of theirs and thought maybe that would help but I have to say I really wasn't planning on buying it there.  I am am really going to be in need of a polishing wheel now with all the parts under the hood and not sure if I want to get just a dedicated polisher, or a grinder/polisher combo. 

rewired the fan controllers in the bedrooms and put new switches in.  The old ones had a dimming feature on the lights.  which was nice, but at the same time, the switch was difficult to use.  got different ones that are easy to turn on and have 3 fan speed settings.  a lot easier to use.

7DF07950-D66E-4754-AB9A-137B49F62BDC_zps

and the finished product.

2AD4C356-333C-4911-A03A-D8A8A7D1AFC3_zps

otherwise, got new outlet plates for the basement kitchen and threw those on.  I got bulbs for the 3 light spot light on the top of the house to illuminate the driveway.  Two of them didn't have bulbs in them....well found out why.  the fixture is shot.  Not to mention the switches are as old as the house.  So this week i'm going to get a motion sensor light to replace it with and put new switches in.  The switches are the ones that you have turn on and make sure you feel/hear the click or it's not on.  i don't consider them safe.

I like that stand. Usually a "bench" grinder is exactly that. That stand is a really nice piece as well!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea i was just looking at a stand for mine. kinda sucks trying to work with a big piece with the bench all in the fn way. 

I went through our house and replace ALL the switches and outlets when we moved in. The wiring was up to code, but god damn those switches and outlets felt looser than a whore in Vegas. 

I went through our house and replace ALL the switches and outlets when we moved in. The wiring was up to code, but god damn those switches and outlets felt looser than a whore in Vegas. 

i will be doing the same thing for half of them.  that's project for this winter.  only been doing the ones that i need to do for right now.  Seems like each room has a different color too so we'll be changing them out for white throughout.