RockinHrse_98

Installing New Edge seats in an SN95 WITHOUT Cutting Harnesses!

How to install New Edge seats in an SN95.

I’ve been pondering making the swap for a long time since my stock seats needed to be recovered anyway. To me, the stock 94-98 seats just don’t have a lot of support. Finally ran across a decent set of 03-04 Mach 1 seats in good shape so I decided to go with those.  All the tutorials/write-ups I’ve been able to find require hacking up either the body harness or the seat harness. I’m not big on cutting up harness wires, I like to leave stuff to where I can always go back to the stockers if I should happen to change my mind. That being said I decided to make an adapter. The Mach 1 seats have an integrated seatbelt buckle and buckle harness; however, I decided to reuse the stock buckle so I wouldn’t have to hack the wiring harness. The wiring may be slightly different in other year cars, but this is what worked adapting the Mach seats to my 98. This is a tutorial on how to make them work. It does NOT cover removal or reinstallation of the seats.

Original Seats

IMG_5227_zps32c4acc1.jpg

IMG_5228_zpsbb155bd9.jpg

IMG_5229_zps91ccf61f.jpg

My temporary bucket seat. (Sort of works, but I would not suggest this even just to move the car around. You could die, just don’t.)

IMG_5329_zps17289197.jpg

MACH 1 SEATS

IMG_5238_zps11a49648.jpg

IMG_5239_zps72db8622.jpg

IMG_5240_zps8dd923e0.jpg

Removing the Integrated belt buckle from the driver side is not a very daunting task, but it is more difficult than the passenger side. I recommend unbolting the actual seat from the track as it makes it easier to reach the plug in for the buckle harness.  The passenger side buckle just has one nut holding it on.

IMG_5241_zpsfa88ff6b.jpg

IMG_5242_zps4332b6c6.jpg

IMG_5243_zps74b3fa60.jpg

Below I'm pointing at the seatbelt latch harness plug with a wrench, just so you know which one to unplug.

IMG_5244_zps21b0f08e.jpg

IMG_5245_zps8a56f3a9.jpg

Track unbolted from the seat. It is held on by 4 10 or 11mm bolts (one of those two sizes but I can’t remember which. Don’t forget to unplug the harness connecting the seat to the track!!!

IMG_5267_zpsc8b04f30.jpg

Of course being as picky as I am with my car I had to go sand and paint the buckle brackets even though you won’t really see them once it’s in the car.

IMG_5286_zps183dfad4.jpg

IMG_5288_zpscfcc6fe3.jpg

I went down to the junk yard and picked up a seat harness out of a wrecked 96 V6 as well as a piece of the body harness from an 02 v6 to make the adapter with. Here you will notice that the 94-98 harness has 2 wires while the 99-04 one has 4. We will go over this in a minute.

IMG_5265_zps9420d59e.jpg

IMG_5266_zpse7e4a9cf.jpg

IMG_5294_zps7bf96696.jpg

To make the adapter harness you will need the male end of the 99-04 harness (to plug into the seat plug) and the female end of the 94-98 harness ( to plug into the body harness of the car).

IMG_5294_zps7bf96696.jpg

IMG_5293_zps56b2c757.jpg

Now again you’ll notice that the 99-04 has 2 more wires than the 94-98. I had to pull the harness covers on the new seat rail to trace the wires and see which one went where and which did what.  Of these 3 wires, only the 2 green wires and the large black wire will be used, so 3 wires total. The small gray and blue wire is for the integrated seat belt so I won’t be using that. Just tape it back once the others are spliced together and insulated. I used waterproof heat shrink tubing to insulate the connections so make sure you slide that on the wires before you solder them. On the 94-98 harness, the black wire is the ground of course, so that one will be soldered to the black wire from the 99-04 harness.  The two green wires on the 99-04 harness are the hot wires, those will need to be soldered to the black and white wire on the 94-98 harness.
SORRY, forgot to take pictures before I heated the heat shrink tubing.

IMG_5296_zpsc71b64c1.jpg

IMG_5298_zpsb1ed5f5a.jpg

IMG_5299_zps99446de1.jpg

Adapter plugged into the new track harness

IMG_5325_zpsa5702e9c.jpg

The other end that will plug to the body harness

IMG_5324_zps9194fd64.jpg

Bolt your tracks back to the seats and then just reinstall the seats and plug it in! You are now ready to roll. Unless your seats have a busted reclining mechanism like mine did so the driver seat has to come back out to be fixed (that's why the black plastic cover is off of the side). But I think they look good nonetheless.

IMG_5319_zpsc4374796.jpg

IMG_5322_zpsfdf3463b.jpg

IMG_5320_zps62ad17aa.jpg

IMG_5321_zpse19c92fd.jpg

IMG_5315_zps4a128791.jpg

IMG_5316_zps4193ab3b.jpg

Edited by RockinHrse_98

very nice write up man! Never would have thought to do a small harness like that.

I appreciate it man. Yeah I was honestly getting ready to cut the harness that was on the new seat track, then I got to thinking, there has to be a better way. Glad I took a break before I wasted a good harness.

I agree, awesome write up! Very nice work, super clean and a professional result. The Mach seats are a great upgrade and really tie into your interior nicely with the gray stripe, looks sweet :2thumb:

Great idea! Would of never thought to make an adapter harness! You need some Gray/black side panels to tie those seats into your color scheme more

I agree, awesome write up! Very nice work, super clean and a professional result. The Mach seats are a great upgrade and really tie into your interior nicely with the gray stripe, looks sweet :2thumb:

I appreciate it. Just wanted to do something different. They're a lot stiffer than the stock seats but they're comfortable. Sadly the reclining mechanism on the driver seat isn't wanting to latch right, guessing it's stripped. :angry:  I was merging onto the interstate and it popped all the way back so I put the old drivers seat back in for now.

Great idea! Would of never thought to make an adapter harness! You need some Gray/black side panels to tie those seats into your color scheme more

I thought about that. Hard to find any in decent shape around here though.