Brian

What's your transmission maintenance checklist?

As the title says, I'm interested to know what you do for your transmission maintenances and how often you do them? Kind of feels like something a lot of people overlook.

Looking forward to seeing some good answers & hopefully this will lead to helping someone out.

Brian

Ive always looked over it, although on my prev car I drained the t/45 at roughly 90k and tried redline anti shock fluid. 3 qrts was $35/40 bucks I believe. Shortly after it was sold but it seemed to quiet the trans some...

Heads up and ass kickin!

Change my transmission fluid once a year. generally i leave the drain plug out and just pour new fluid into the shifter hole until the fluid starts coming out cleaner and fill to 4 quarts. And I only like to use valvoline, it has worked well for me so far.

Every time I feel the clutch pedal engagement change or the pedal start to have a little bit of play, I adjust the firewall adjuster to ensure the TOB has no chance of failing.

Any time I have the trans out, I change the TOB. Just a habit and a good safety prevention so you don't have to do it again. And the first time you have it out, if you have over 50k miles, you might as well replace the Clutch fork too, $20 from Tousley, and it never hurts to replace it.

Other than that, I run the piss out of it, from my videos, you can see that I do abuse the crap out of the transmission and the only real failure i've had is a failed Spec clutch (and why i will never run Spec again...)

My spec stage two was garbage I couldn't remove it fast enough. And what you do is what we should all do to take care of a 5 spd... But most are lazy :/ Im getting ready to do a new clutch, fork, t.o.b, cable and fire wall adjuster on mine real soon. The t.o.b is louder then the radio right now...

Heads up and ass kickin!

There really only $20 ish bucks? Never bought one before lol.

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

I've seen them on Summit for 30-40 which isn't bad. I just don't think it would get here by this weekend.

I've seen them on Summit for 30-40 which isn't bad. I just don't think it would get here by this weekend.

Ehh they ship to me in 2 days time but its normally from Ga store and im in FL... From ohio store its 4+ days sometimes..

This is probably going to sound stupid but based on what I'm reading on Summit's site, will this work for my car? Says 96+.

Also it wouldn't get here by this weekend. :(

Sorry man, it's for T45/TR3650's (96-04 4.6L) I dunno about 5.0's.

Adding that to my cart lol, thanks for posting that link ill be needing it soon!

no problem man, but I'd call Steve @ Tousley Ford first... Shipping was $7 instead of the flat $15.00 charge that Summit Charges.

I like Brett's idea, to change it once a year. That means I should probably do it soon.

What's the capacity of a T5?

This is purely off the top of my head, but I think it's something like 2.8 quarts.