GearGambler

Ignition Chat

My 94 is very stock-ish.  that being said, I did need to do a tune up every now and then.  At one point I tried out some MSD Streetfire wires.  I figured I would give them a shot since I had a Streetfire coil in the car already.  What I learned is that the fitment of the wires was terrible.  They also didn't come with an angled boot.  This eventually led to the wires being stretched, and one even got melted.  Developed a misfire and needed to replace the wires again.  I decided to get a good set and went with the moroso Ultra 40s - and these were awesome.  We even went as far as cutting a piece of both sets of wires open to compare them.  The ultra 40s are certainly worth the extra money.  They aren't even in the same league.  I immediately noticed a difference in performance - and I'm comparing Pre-misfire condition to post Ultra 40s.  

fast forward to this past sunday, when the car left me stranded on my way back from running an errand.  It was definitely an ignition problem - No spark.  Immediately I thought - this is the TFI.  background - TFI left me stranded before, same symptoms, and I replaced it with a used one from a foxbody distributer I had laying around.  I get towed home and my buddy shows up for a clutch replacement job - he also has a 94 GT.  after tearing his car apart for the clutch, we did some parts swapping and I eventually found that it was my coil that had failed.  Yup, that same 'line' from MSD - the streetfire coil.  In defense, I put about 100k miles on that coil, and put it in used so I dont know how many miles it had on it already. It now lives in the trash bin.  I replace the failed coil with a Mallory 29214 coil - it had great reviews.  in the meantime while I waited for the mallory to arrive, I put my stock coil back in, which worked fine and i was able to drive the car around.

I'll be taking the car for a spin when I head out for lunch at 12 today, with the new coil.  I'll report back and let everyone know if I notice a difference!

When I updated my wires, I went with the Taylor 409 cut to length kit. With the spark plug wire tool, the job was a breeze and got the wires cut to exactly the length I wanted! I've been rocking the msd street wire for a while now and no issues so far! Knock in wood

When I updated my wires, I went with the Taylor 409 cut to length kit. With the spark plug wire tool, the job was a breeze and got the wires cut to exactly the length I wanted! I've been rocking the msd street wire for a while now and no issues so far! Knock in wood

I did similar wires to Bryan but cut mine too perfect.  When I switch valve covers and put the tall valve covers on they almost didn't fit, WOOOOPSSS lol.

I just got back from a spin.  what a world of difference - there's no hesitation at all.  VERY crisp!

The streetfire wires worked fine until one of the boots melted because they didn't fit.  And there is just no comparison to the moroso ultra 40's.  I also have the MSD tool for the wires, and was able to make the coil wire the correct length, but the rest of the wires fit perfectly, with no need to modify.  Here is a link to the kit, just in case anyone is interested:  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-73718

Great discussion!  

FWIW, I'm running the autolite 24's (copper plug).  Cheap, and they work GREAT.