Prokiller

The Great Green Flipper

finally got a puller to get the balancer off.  yeah it was really bad...

E1D15708-6610-438F-9D3C-467251219419_zps

new one went on without a problems.  timing was pretty off.  it was at like 26 degrees base.  so that's now fixed.

moved onto the rad leak that recently presented itself.  it's leaking at the trans cooler line as it goes into the plastic section of the rad.  

697BF48B-FF6F-48F6-AAA3-174C32C9DCD7_zps

first we took it off to see if there was any o-ring in there.  nope.  so we put one in and that didn't work.  then we tried to put a good amount of sealant on the washer and it still leaked when the system pressurized.  tried crank down the brass nut on there nice and tight and it's still leaking...

41AF6AC5-9504-4FB3-A43F-66803C764CB4_zps

any ideas on what else to try?

can you teflon tape the fitting ?

the fitting itself isn't the problem.  i wish i would have taken a picture of it before i put it back together.  putting teflon on the threads isn't going to help at all as it's not leaking from there.  

ok then you need a two part epoxy that works with plastic

yeah it needs to stick to plastic and the metal washer.  took it apart again last night but the stuff i had had dried up so i have to get new stuff tonight.

Didn't know you needed a balancer puller, I have one (note for future).    JB weld that rad!!

we had one but the center puller bolt was too long and would necessitate pulling the rad.  so i bought a different one.  i don't have a problem buying tools as you never know when you'll need it again.  

i put some good black rtv as a gasket it last night and left it to setup over night.  going to try it again when i get home tonight.

the rad leak is sealed and the car is back together.  i took it out last night and it's still doing the same BS where it won't pull.  it can't get out of it's own way.  the timing is at 12 degrees base (with the spout out).  

https://youtu.be/obhi-FuBTlc

and to recap all the things i've done:

-new fuel filter

-new plugs

-newer known working msd plug wires

-known working msd coil

-new distributor

-new balancer

-timing verified

-cleaned mass air

-replaced mid-pipe with stock replacement (old ~50k mileage one from previous mustang)

-changed oil

i've been trying to drive it more and this weekend i put a bottle of injector cleaner and a full tank of 93 in it.  it seems to be helping so it's leading to a fuel problem.  tonight i'm going to pop off the upper intake and pull the injectors and let them soak overnight.  the plan is to have my dad bring it to the CJ pony CAD show on saturday and throw up the for sale sign.  

@Steve@CJPP is that allowed to be in the show field with a for sale sign?

my plan was to wash it and start giving it a good cleaning again but wasn't feeling right in the stomach region so i put the sun visors back in instead.

93E30C6C-D0A5-400D-9264-1B5947A8688B_zps

I forget if you said, but has the fuel pump been replaced? Injectors or pump would be my guess. It would suck to have to drop the tank but other than getting the tank out, its easy to replace the pump. I have my old Walbro 255 you are welcome to have for shipping cost if it needs a pump.

I forget if you said, but has the fuel pump been replaced? Injectors or pump would be my guess. It would suck to have to drop the tank but other than getting the tank out, its easy to replace the pump. I have my old Walbro 255 you are welcome to have for shipping cost if it needs a pump.

it's a possibility still dan and thanks, i'll let you know about the pump.  thing is it idles fine and will drive okay but just can't hold under load at RPM.  so i guess it's a possible it could be the pump getting weak but it primes fine and holds good pressure from what i can tell.

• Moderators

it's a possibility still dan and thanks, i'll let you know about the pump.  thing is it idles fine and will drive okay but just can't hold under load at RPM.  so i guess it's a possible it could be the pump getting weak but it primes fine and holds good pressure from what i can tell.

I had this problem with mine.  Turned out the pump was still good, but the rubber hose that connects the pump to the line had rotted out.

I had this problem with mine.  Turned out the pump was still good, but the rubber hose that connects the pump to the line had rotted out.

you're talking the line from the pump to the filter?

took the injectors out yesterday and my dad rigged up a way to pressurize them with cleaner and then pulse them.  definitely the problem.  cleaner was coming out almost in a straight line and after a while of cycling them he was able to get some good spray patterns out of them.  letting them sit overnight and reinstall tonight.  fingers crossed that will wake this beast up.  

@Blackmage  believe it or not we haven't really spent THAT much.  the biggest expense has been the interior and the time investment but realistically the time has been so sporadic that it's really hard to judge how much actual man hours we've put into it.  granted i wanted to have this thing sold this spring but between the house projects and then getting my mustang ready for carlisle it just didn't happen.

Aside from the profit you make @Prokiller, I'm also just glad to see an old pushrod sn get some TLC and hit the road again in great shape. I see VERY few sn's on the road these days, and they are always beat to shit... This will be one less that fits that bill.

i've been trying to drive it more and this weekend i put a bottle of injector cleaner and a full tank of 93 in it.  it seems to be helping so it's leading to a fuel problem.  tonight i'm going to pop off the upper intake and pull the injectors and let them soak overnight.  the plan is to have my dad bring it to the CJ pony CAD show on saturday and throw up the for sale sign.  

@Steve@CJPP is that allowed to be in the show field with a for sale sign?

my plan was to wash it and start giving it a good cleaning again but wasn't feeling right in the stomach region so i put the sun visors back in instead.

93E30C6C-D0A5-400D-9264-1B5947A8688B_zps

I think I have seen guys do this before you should be good to go.  I won't be there but I don't think it will be a problem at all.

Aside from the profit you make @Prokiller, I'm also just glad to see an old pushrod sn get some TLC and hit the road again in great shape. I see VERY few sn's on the road these days, and they are always beat to shit... This will be one less that fits that bill.

i hear that.  probably end up selling it to some dumb kid who will wrap it around a tree though...

tore down

5BEF45BA-7DE3-41F8-9985-FB1D2633AD7C_zps

cleaning out the injectors with carb cleaner.  this contraption my dad uses for cleaning diesel injectors on the machine's he services.

593146A0-CDE3-401D-B6AE-CF13E6826FF3_zps

it's piece of fuel hose that you put the injector on and clamp it down with a zip tie as shown here:

19E167E6-746A-4CC4-AA7C-87BC68E23B88_zps

and run a positive and negative wire to it.  the line has a neck down fitting which connects to a smaller clear tubing that then necks down even further into the plastic stick tube nozzle thing that comes with the can of cleaner.  all that is secured very tightly because it has to be pressurized. 

basically squirt some carb cleaner in the line and tap the battery terminal to pulse the injector.  did this a bunch of times and we could see that the spray pattern was definitely getting better.  so fingers crossed this fixes the problem.

75D57F3C-A520-4DB5-823D-F65819B4C1A5_zps

9FEB8707-598D-4C04-A3F7-0A4C5E51364A_zps

so this one and another like it we're replacing because i don't trust that.

and the injectors installed as far as we could get last night.

B01C83CB-44C1-4ABB-87E4-BA0DFEAB180C_zps'

finishing it up tonight. and cleaning it for the CJPP show tomorrow.

so we finished the install friday night and it didn't do shit.  still can't do anything when in WOT or past 3k when you roll into it.  we also replaced the fuel pressure regulator.  i'm really getting frustrated with this now.  it would be a great car if we can just get it to run right.  and since it didn't work, there was no reason to take it to CJ's the saturday since i can't in good conscience sell it as is. nor would i want to take the price decrease.

anybody have a off road midpipe i can borrow?

used a snapon scan tool on this thing last night and our mechanic friend thinks it could be the TFI module.  troy is going to see if he has an extra laying around to test before going and buying one.  i was going to take mine out but i can't get to it without pulling the blower off so screw that.  if troy doesn't have one, we'll just pick one up and test it out and return it if it still doesn't change anything.

it's finally fixed!!!!!  TFI module did the trick.  took it out for a spin and it finally has the power that it should.  granted it's a pretty much stock auto vert so it's not setting the world afire but at least it revs smoothly and gets out of its own way.  also does a not so bad burnout as @Yeahloh95 and @WildWillyWalker can attest to.  going to clean it up and take some fresh pictures and list this thing for sale.  and drive it until then....

washed it last night and scrubbed the hell out of the top.  cleaned up the windows and put rain-x on them.  detailed it a bit interior wise.  last remaining thing is to vacuum it out and then it will be good to go.  i'll do a quick detailer spray on it before taking new pictures but here's a few from last night after the clean up.

A72DFC6C-B39C-4A95-A2C0-255DCA77C364_zps

C4E1A2BA-87CB-4B69-872E-C35EEAE6D447_zps

You did a great job on that thing!  This is something that in my head would be a great fit for someone looking to get their feet wet and is looking for their first car/first Mustang.

You did a great job on that thing!  This is something that in my head would be a great fit for someone looking to get their feet wet and is looking for their first car/first Mustang.

this was my thought exactly.  it's a great starting point.  really at this point it just needs some wheels and a drop and it would be a great car.  i have some old chrome cobras that i'm thinking of cleaning up and throwing on there and i got a cheap set of SR lowering springs that i could put on it.  i'll see what kind of interest i get the way it stands but if it gets to be winter time before it sells i'm definitely throwing them on there.

i cleaned up a set of chrome cobra wheels i've had laying around since my old red 94.  been sitting for like 8 years now.  they do have some pitting and the inside of the barrels are peeling but surprisingly they cleaned up pretty good with a polishing cone on a drill and some mothers chrome polish.  can't do anything about the pitting obviously but from 5ft away they look good.  tires still have a little bit left on them and also surprisingly, they aren't dry rotted at all.

7A848F0B-FE43-4840-9E94-DC2D3B5D6A7D_zps

really makes it look 4x4 now though.  if i don't get any interest in it, i'll throw on the SR springs i have for it.  

been driving this the past couple days with the nice weather.  definitely fun driving with the top down.  although, if it was mine to keep, the stereo needs to be upgraded.  can barely hear it when cruising.